PDA

View Full Version : Some questions before i buy this game

zzzornbringer
04-10-2013, 06:13 AM
hello, i've seen quite a few videos about defiance now but a few questions havn't been answered yet. so, here i go...

- how is the weapon variety? what weapon types are there? are they all valueable on their own or is there a definite "best" weapon combination in the game? are there plans to add a third weapon slot (for sidearms for example)? can you (or are there plans to) customize your melee weapon?

- (i love playing the healing class) how valuable is the healing in this game?

- how big is the open world? how many people are playing in the world at once. is it one world or is it instanced into many smaller shards? can you change the instance? (with instance i don't mean dungeons)

- will the world expand with future patches?

- are there plans for retail addons?

- what pvp modes are there? tdm, ctf, domination, etc? is pvp any fun, is it balanced?

- what are the plans for dlc? will it be required or only be aesthetic? will it devide the player base?

- what vehicle types are there and how do you get them? will there be flying vehicles?

- are there plans for a more in-depth crafting system? are their mineral veins and things like that in the open world you can gather ressources from? are there different professions?

- how is the enemy variety? or, generally speaking, how is the combat variety?

- are there active skills you can learn and use?

- when you get damage, do you have to hide behind a corner to passivelely regenerate your health or do monsters drop healthpacks to keep the action going or are there other ways to replenish your health?

- how many different ark fall events are there? (i've only seen the raging hellbug event)

- is the patcher working already? :)

- was jace hall able to finish the game yet? :D

- jetpacks?

- can you manipulate a .ini config file to get more frames out of the game? how is performance in general? is it stable?

- anything else i should know before buying this game?

thanks in advance.

Anim
04-10-2013, 06:22 AM
hello, i've seen quite a few videos about defiance now but a few questions havn't been answered yet. so, here i go...

- how is the weapon variety? what weapon types are there? are they all valueable on their own or is there a definite "best" weapon combination in the game? are there plans to add a third weapon slot (for sidearms for example)? can you (or are there plans to) customize your melee weapon? - No variety, even epic tier weapons do the same damage as base with just a few tweaks to situational stuff

- (i love playing the healing class) how valuable is the healing in this game? - irrevelant, no need for healers at all and there are no classes that matter

- how big is the open world? how many people are playing in the world at once. is it one world or is it instanced into many smaller shards? can you change the instance? (with instance i don't mean dungeons) - its phased world, you wont see the entire population and sometimes you'll be quite alone. Its not a small world but its not what anyone would describe as big either, especially with the vehicles.

- will the world expand with future patches? depends

- are there plans for retail addons? some pay-for DLC

- what pvp modes are there? tdm, ctf, domination, etc? is pvp any fun, is it balanced? - You get TDM on 2 whole maps, not good maps either. Theres capture and hold shadow wars if it works which is just awful.

- what are the plans for dlc? will it be required or only be aesthetic? will it devide the player base? - everyone can get the basic dlc part but to get the 'interesting' additions you have to pay for it

- what vehicle types are there and how do you get them? will there be flying vehicles? no flying vehicles, all of them have 4 wheels and defy physics at every turn.

- are there plans for a more in-depth crafting system? are their mineral veins and things like that in the open world you can gather ressources from? are there different professions? hahaha, no. there is no crafting.

- how is the enemy variety? or, generally speaking, how is the combat variety? Enemy variety is shockingly poor, in the first zones you get 3 different types of mutant the entire time. 2nd zone is 4 different types of raider and last is 3 different types of 99er. You get hellbugs throughout but thats only, small medium and large + a flying one. Junkers near the end also come in small medium and large.

- are there active skills you can learn and use? Just the ones they go on about, stealth, decoy, overcharge and blur.

- when you get damage, do you have to hide behind a corner to passivelely regenerate your health or do monsters drop healthpacks to keep the action going or are there other ways to replenish your health? Hide and regen your shields or use a healing weapon which makes encounters trivial.

- how many different ark fall events are there? (i've only seen the raging hellbug event) - You get the hellbug event.. and the scrapper event.... thats it for major arkfalls and they follow the same script every time.

- is the patcher working already? :) - never had problems with it

- was jace hall able to finish the game yet? :D - N/A

- jetpacks? - Really?

- can you manipulate a .ini config file to get more frames out of the game? how is performance in general? is it stable? - Game is fine without tweaks

thanks in advance.

Stuff in the quote

Doowi
04-10-2013, 06:37 AM

- how is the weapon variety? what weapon types are there? are they all valueable on their own or is there a definite "best" weapon combination in the game? are there plans to add a third weapon slot (for sidearms for example)? can you (or are there plans to) customize your melee weapon?

Most of the weapons are preset in regards to their stats, but they can change from quality and type, where some have a set bonus applied to them when you add modifications. There is no real melee weapon as itís just you hitting them with the end of your weapon, but some mods or weapons do give bonuses to melee damage.

- (i love playing the healing class) how valuable is the healing in this game?

Healing in the game doesnít really do much as there is no real challenge that requires you to do this, but you can indeed set your perks to be better at healing or reviving multiple people around you when you revive 1 person.

- how big is the open world? how many people are playing in the world at once. is it one world or is it instanced into many smaller shards? can you change the instance? (with instance i don't mean dungeons)

The world id open within the limits of the map borders. There is no shards and the only instances are that of co-ops and pvp and some missions, which will put you into a different phase to others in the area.

- will the world expand with future patches?

I highly imagine so, as the TV Show is not based in San Fran, so with DLC/Expansions (which will be free, but you can pay to get them, which gives you some bonus items/races etc).

- are there plans for retail addons?

There is no need for addons, trust me on this. This is not an RPG, but an FPS.

- what pvp modes are there? tdm, ctf, domination, etc? is pvp any fun, is it balanced?

So far there are 2 PvP maps, which are Team Deathmatch, but there is a capture and hold, which was in the beta, but was removed in retail. I imagine this will appear soon as there is acheivements (pursuits) based on that pvp area.

- what are the plans for dlc? will it be required or only be aesthetic? will it devide the player base?

There is no be dividing of the player base as the DLC is going to be free for everyone, but if you want to pay for it, you will get extras, this being probably armour, weapons and the other races in the game, they will be add over time.

- what vehicle types are there and how do you get them? will there be flying vehicles?

I highly doubt we will get flying vehicles, but then again weíll see what future content brings.

- are there plans for a more in-depth crafting system? are their mineral veins and things like that in the open world you can gather ressources from? are there different professions?

There is no crafting in this game. Remember itís an FPS, not an RPG ;)

- how is the enemy variety? or, generally speaking, how is the combat variety?

Not many, around 5 different types with their own sets within those 5. Combat between them is all different and they do become harder the further you go through the game.

- are there active skills you can learn and use?

Yes, they are called EGO Skills. These Cloak, Blur, Overcharge and Decoy.

- when you get damage, do you have to hide behind a corner to passivelely regenerate your health or do monsters drop healthpacks to keep the action going or are there other ways to replenish your health?

Yes you can hide from the enemies to regen your shield and health, but they will come for you if you go out of line of sight. There is no health packs, so you can die, but you do get a timed self resurrect.

- how many different ark fall events are there? (i've only seen the raging hellbug event)

There are 2 major Arkfalls, which are hellbug and scrapper, there are all minor arkfalls, which are raiders, 99ers and Dark matter.

- is the patcher working already? :)

Yes, there are daily patches being applied to fix the ongoing bugs/glitches/exploits.

- was jace hall able to finish the game yet? :D

No clue I donít pay attention to that stuff.

- jetpacks?

Nope

- can you manipulate a .ini config file to get more frames out of the game? how is performance in general? is it stable?

You can use programs like SweetFX to improve things, but no clue if changing the config file will do another. Remember that changing game related files can result in bans from other games, so I wouldnít really recommend it for now.

The chat doesn't really work, you have voice coms automatically turned on, so you have to disappear this, but if you turn off the voice, you also turn off the chat as well and for other things just read through the forums.

thanks in advance.

Answers in your reply.

zzzornbringer
04-10-2013, 07:34 AM
hey, thanks for your replies.

the jace hall question was just a insider joke. :) check this out, there are some minutes of defiance footage and interview segments for trion staff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxYrm7We7aE
(jace hall is the co-founder of monolith productions btw.)

and, actually, it's not a fps but a tps. but why shouldn't it have crafting? it's also a mmo that usually have some kind of crafting implemented... i've seen this thingy where you can salvage/modify equipment. i'm not sure what that was though. thought it was the crafting system in the game.

Shima
04-10-2013, 07:37 AM
I guess you could look at the salvage/modification system as 'crafting' but it's pretty basic if so.

ironhands
04-10-2013, 07:39 AM
There are a heck of a lot of weapons, centered around archetypes. grenade launchers, rockets, a few types of machine guns, a few types of shotguns, 2 types of sniper rifles, pistols... SMGs, and some interesting alien weapons like the BMG - it's a lifesteal/healing gun, and the infectors which are damage over time weapons.

each of these archetypes has dozens of actual weapons each with different stats, as well as elemental effects. I personally favor an alien shotgun with a 3 round burst that has a life-steal effect, and an SMG with electrical damage for massive burst DPS.

healing isn't that important, the only healing is done through the BMG weapons, but there are several perks to facilitate reviving yourself, and others around you faster once they fall.

all instanced, you'll usually see a few people running around in spots, and you'll often encounter one other person at quest areas. the only time you'll see dozens is at arkfalls, and then you'll likely see upwards of 50.

the world itself isn't massive, you can drive the full circle in about 10 minutes, but new free content will expand the size over time.

there are DLC, which feature free, and paid addons. people who opt to not buy the DLC will not be segregated.

PvP currently has 2 maps, more are on there way. there are also open world "shadow wars". haven't played them so i don't know what they're like.

future DLC details are still being announced, so nothing is really set in stone, but they will contain both free and paid elements, and include playable races, and items.

no flying cars, the arkfalls have pretty much ruined air travel. there are 3 vehicle types, quads, cars/trucks, and trucks with guns on 'em for PvP.

no crafting at this time, other than modding guns. no concrete word on if it will be added or not.

5 main enemy groups, each having 5-6 basic types.

4 main powers, with perks to make them better and expand on your damage or shields.

shields recharge, standard hide and recharge mechanic.

there are many different arkfall events, I've done 3 major ones so far, and I believe there are currently 5, with more to come. for minor, there are a few types, but several are only hold the objective/kill waves.

patcher's working for most, but some are still having trouble, not sure how many.

no jetpacks

performance is pretty stable for the most part, the graphic options are minimal currently, some are using sweetfx.

anything else to note? free content updates, and a major client patch coming on the 15th to address and repair the current issues, should clear up a lot of the problems.