PDA

View Full Version : xbox question

Renegade Snarf
03-05-2013, 09:11 AM
first off let me tell you i have one of the first xboxs i have turned mine in 5 times due to red ring but anyway lately i have had games like GTA 4 freeze up on me (sometimes within 5 min of playing) and other games like gears of war and call of duty only lock up after about 6 hours of solid play time. has anyone else had this issue or should i buy a new xbox before defiance comes out or even better idea is there a defiance console bundle?

mushinwolf
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
If you can, buy a newer model. I had probs like that with mine-which was the first gen Xbox.
Im sure Defiance will be ok on your current one...but you will be taking a gamble with wether or not it will freeze up i guess.

Maybe think of a new Xbox as an all round upgrade..not just for Defiance, but other games too and films etc..insurance for your long term playing happiness :)

Pestilence
03-05-2013, 09:26 AM
As was previously stated, an upgrade would allow for smoother gaming. I would also recommend a memory upgrade as well if your wallet allows it. I assume if your looking for a system bundle this would be an option.

I have not seen one that includes a console yet, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means I haven't seen one on the internet as of today. Although they do have pre-order bundles located here (http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/02/01/preorder-information-and-answers/).

Renegade Snarf
03-05-2013, 09:34 AM
As was previously stated, an upgrade would allow for smoother gaming. I would also recommend a memory upgrade as well if your wallet allows it. I assume if your looking for a system bundle this would be an option.

I have not seen one that includes a console yet, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means I haven't seen one on the internet as of today. Although they do have pre-order bundles located here (http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/02/01/preorder-information-and-answers/).

can you tell me more about the memory upgrade are you talking the 250 gig hard drive or does the xbox have a ram upgrade that i dont know about?

Agent I3
03-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Iv never had these problems... with the pro, or the slim.
If they keep getting rings, n freezing, it might be because the xbox is in a tight space, and cant get air to cool down,, or there is too much dust. to get rid of the dust, turn off the xbox, and unplug it at the mains,, then thoroughly hoover it (if needed, tahe tyhe case off, and carefully clean it)
or mabie the memory is too full (it shouldn't affect it... but sometimes it does, weirdly

i hope this helps ^^^

also.. probably not the place to post this, but are you interested in joining the Agent clan for the Xbox?
defiance forums;
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?2564-Agent-clan-recruitment.

Dead_Phoenix
03-05-2013, 09:44 AM
i am just waiting on rathb to pop in with "buy a pc"... :P

in all seriousnes, xbox's are so cheap nowadays it might be worth just picking up a new on imho. it depends on your funds situation

Renegade Snarf
03-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Iv never had these problems... with the pro, or the slim.
If they keep getting rings, n freezing, it might be because the xbox is in a tight space, and cant get air to cool down,, or there is too much dust. to get rid of the dust, turn off the xbox, and unplug it at the mains,, then thoroughly hoover it (if needed, tahe tyhe case off, and carefully clean it)
or mabie the memory is too full (it shouldn't affect it... but sometimes it does, weirdly

i hope this helps ^^^

also.. probably not the place to post this, but are you interested in joining the Agent clan for the Xbox?
defiance forums;
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?2564-Agent-clan-recruitment.

it has been awhile since i have used a can of air on it. as for a clan i will ask you questions in your forum.

Pestilence
03-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Yes, I was referring to the 250g upgrade. The initial 4g (I believe) won't get you very far.

Edit: A quick check; My first search for a new xbox slim with the 250g hd is under $280 (US) on Amazon. Ebay has the hd for around $45-55, and slims around $100. There is actually an auction going on for the bundle that is currently at $102.50 for both.

If you shop around you can get a new xbox for pretty cheap now.

Renegade Snarf
03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
another issue i have with just buying a new xbox is all the rumors you hear of 720 coming out soon and with the ps4 already having the drop date you know xbox will be right around the corner.

mushinwolf
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Well , its fairly probable that the new Xbox will be out near the xmas season-but not definite.
It will cost a fair chunk of change though, but it is supposed to be backwards compatable.

Can you wait that long to play Defiance?

echoplex
03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
another issue i have with just buying a new xbox is all the rumors you hear of 720 coming out soon and with the ps4 already having the drop date you know xbox will be right around the corner.
I'm in the same boat.
I'd like to invest into the slim, but.. $300+ (lol @ 4gb. I barely have any room left with the 180gb I'm using now) to get what I want, and it'll be bunk in a few months. I dunno.

I've been rather lucky with my xbox situation, I think. I've only had to replace mine once. The one I have now, though.. meh. No real problems, besides the open tray error. Every once in a while I have to open it up, and move a few things around. Good as new.. for about a month-ish.

No freeze problems like you have.
I'd def consider a new one if I was getting probs like that. Just try to look for a good deal. Always try to look for one around a holiday, or when a big new game is coming out. There seem to be more deals around stuff like that.

Renegade Snarf
03-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Well , its fairly probable that the new Xbox will be out near the xmas season-but not definite.
It will cost a fair chunk of change though, but it is supposed to be backwards compatable.

Can you wait that long to play Defiance?

NOOOOOOOO but buy a refurbished one for 150 or someone mentioned sometimes adding a bigger hard drive can make things run smoother because i have the 20 gig HD but only 1 maybe 2 gigs available of free space.
i have heard people say as long as it is an external hard drive with a usb cord you can use that; if that is the case i have seen 1 terobyte hard drives for around 100 bucks.

elquietone
03-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Not to mention the Xbox version specifically says 10gigs of HDD space required on the back of the game box, so the 4gig HDD would not be enough (though you can use up to 32gig USB keys/HDD). I would also recommend everyone install all their games to HDD as it cuts back on the need to use the DVD drive for reading, especially for heavy load games like GTA and Defiance (where there really are no load points, just a constant streaming of game data). This also cuts back on the amount of heat going through the system and helps prevent the RROD from happening. Though, the newer slim models, RROD should not be as bad as it was to pre May 2009 models.

All in all to the OP, install all your games to the HDD of both old and new consoles, whatever you chose to do. Though if you can find a decent deal on a new 250gig S model, I recommend doing so..... Never buy 3rd party HDD's they fail almost all the time, so just take what MS gives you.

Renegade Snarf
03-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Not to mention the Xbox version specifically says 10gigs of HDD space required on the back of the game box, so the 4gig HDD would not be enough (though you can use up to 32gig USB keys/HDD). I would also recommend everyone install all their games to HDD as it cuts back on the need to use the DVD drive for reading, especially for heavy load games like GTA and Defiance (where there really are no load points, just a constant streaming of game data). This also cuts back on the amount of heat going through the system and helps prevent the RROD from happening. Though, the newer slim models, RROD should not be as bad as it was to pre May 2009 models.

All in all to the OP, install all your games to the HDD of both old and new consoles, whatever you chose to do. Though if you can find a decent deal on a new 250gig S model, I recommend doing so..... Never buy 3rd party HDD's the fail almost all the time, so just take what MS gives you.

i have never put a game on my Hard Drive is it pretty simple??

elquietone
03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
i have never put a game on my Hard Drive is it pretty simple??

Ya, when your on the dashboard screen, and have the disk you want to install inserted, instead of clicking A to launch the game, press X. You'll be directed to a few other options like Rate the game and so on, one of those options is also Install. Just select it and you begin installing to whatever drive you chose, as long as you have the space needed. Most games are between 5-8gigs. You'll still need the disk inserted into the system for boot up purposes, but the DVD drive should power down after about 1min and then just read the whole game from the HDD.

IGears
03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
i would go for the upgrade the 250 gig bundle has two game . for $239. i would trade in the your current one for a credit, you can use any flash drive or external hard drive to transfer your data to the new one.

Renegade Snarf
03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
i would go for the upgrade the 250 gig bundle has two game . for $239. i would trade in the your current one for a credit, you can use any flash drive or external hard drive to transfer your data to the new one.

spend 250 bucks now then 9 months down the road have to spend 800 on the new xbox? i am going to try and tuff it out; if i get the game and it consistently locks up on me I probably will get a new xbox other wise ill wait.

Pestilence
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
When the xbox 360 hit the shelves it had a very limited selection of games it would play from the previous generation. PS4 has already stated it will not play previous generation games at launch, so I seriously doubt from history that the new Microsoft console will support new 360 games. That's just an educated guess mind you, but it could be possible.

Either way, if you are willing to pay for what custom consoles are sold for then you could probably afford a pretty cheap version of the latest models and hd's. I bought the full package with Kinect for my nephew for $120 from a friend I work with the other day. If you look around you can find them pretty cheap considering what they sell for at your local store.

IGears
03-05-2013, 12:13 PM
spend 250 bucks now then 9 months down the road have to spend 800 on the new xbox? i am going to try and tuff it out; if i get the game and it consistently locks up on me I probably will get a new xbox other wise ill wait.

well in that case, i would suggest cleaning up your xbox harddrive. moves any game files that you dont use anymore over to external storage, either with cloud or flash drive and external hard drives. and clear your system cache regularly

stepfathermonk
03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
summary

1. delete on HD what you don't need

2. if you don't want to delete some data use external storage (i prefer the xbox branded flashdrive because it is plug-and-play)

3. clear systemcache regular (don't underestimate the power of a clear cache!!!)

4. install games on HD (lost most xboxes to overused DVD-drives the others to RROD)

@Dead_Phoenix
bathing in sweat with so many sig updates today and still good for a rathb-joke :)

Paladin
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
However, before you follow any of the directions posted, this game is mandatory to install. So with that said just play the game and it'll have a program set to install for you. Installing it before starting it may render the data errored.

IGears
03-05-2013, 04:49 PM
summary

1. delete on HD what you don't need

2. if you don't want to delete some data use external storage (i prefer the xbox branded flashdrive because it is plug-and-play)

3. clear systemcache regular (don't underestimate the power of a clear cache!!!)

4. install games on HD (lost most xboxes to overused DVD-drives the others to RROD)

@Dead_Phoenix
bathing in sweat with so many sig updates today and still good for a rathb-joke :)

Clearing the system cache is great. you dont know how many times this save me from my game freezing when playing Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim