PDA

View Full Version : Buying lockboxes w/ Resources

Jenua
04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Ok so Ive been buying lock boxes with resources, and I was wondering if its economically better to buy tier 2 or tier 4. Does tier 4 have a higher chance to give legendaries? If they do should I keep buying them, or go to buying tier 2?

In case you guys dont know the exact cost for tier 2/4, I think it was 8keys+1k scrip, and 64keys+3k scrip. Im not in game right now, but I think thats what it was.

Warlander
04-10-2013, 11:35 AM
i would say ive bought over 100 boxes , i see no real difference
ive never gotten a orange on any now i stick to 2's and 3's and when im feeling crazy the odd 4

Jenua
04-10-2013, 11:39 AM
So i wasted 14 more lockbox chances by getting the 2 tier 4s? Dx

LordRaymond
04-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Your best bet is a Tier 3 lockbox. The items you get there are usually more rare than the items you get from Tier 2 and you can get multiple Tier 3 lockboxes for the price of one Tier 4.

Remag Div
04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Just to make sure (I'm still a noob at certain things) the resources (green currency in-game) is ONLY used to buy lockboxes and mod weapons, right?

Jenua
04-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Just to make sure (I'm still a noob at certain things) the resources (green currency in-game) is ONLY used to buy lockboxes and mod weapons, right?
It takes both scrip AND resources sadly.

Archellion
04-10-2013, 11:43 AM
In the context of lockboxes, you can either use bits, purchased from the cash shop, or your in-game Key Codes and Scrip. The green currency (aka arkfall salvage or gulanite) is not used for lockboxes.

Also, here is a post (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?20963-The-Lockbox-Data-Collection-Project) linking to a spreadsheet to track results from lockbox tiers. It's not perfect, but may give you some idea. Ostensibly, Tier 4 lockboxes have a better chance of containing an orange or purple item than the Tier 3 or Tier 2.

Mite Bejerkenauf
04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
The item rarity does not increase from Tier 1 to Tier 4, the only difference IS the number of items gained, I usually opt for Tier 3 because it seems the most sound for Keycodes per purchase.

Remag Div
04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
In the context of lockboxes, you can either use bits, purchased from the cash shop, or your in-game Key Codes and Scrip. The green currency (aka arkfall salvage or gulanite) is not used for lockboxes.

Right, that's what I meant. Resources are used to buy the Keycodes which in turn with Scrip are used to purchase the lockboxes. Check. Resources to mod weapons. Check. Anything else?

tordana
04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
The item rarity does not increase from Tier 1 to Tier 4, the only difference IS the number of items gained, I usually opt for Tier 3 because it seems the most sound for Keycodes per purchase.

Wrong, a dev stated explicity that T4 has a higher chance for orange items than lower tiers.

Zhaocore
04-10-2013, 11:47 AM
It really is random =/.

The ONLY orange i ever got was my first t3 lockbox...previously i bought 3 t4s and only 1 purple rest blues/greens.

I will continually buy t3s now though.

Mite Bejerkenauf
04-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Wrong, a dev stated explicity that T4 has a higher chance for orange items than lower tiers.
It'd be nice if we were told ingame with some sort of subtext, all we got was "at least uncommon rarity" which says shtako about what it gives.
But cheers for the info.

Remag Div
04-10-2013, 11:50 AM

Right, that only makes sense.

I just wonder how much higher the odds are from T3 to T4. As it stands it seems wiser to get multiple T3's instead of one T4.

Remag Div
04-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Nice, just found a thread that has exactly what I was looking for.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhDKIMOCd2bkdFlSdmNocG1HSHU4VVBXeXdoWDY3Q mc#gid=1

Looks like T3 makes more sense currently.

Deus
04-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Found 2 Legendaries in 1 T4 and another before, bought around 15-20 T4

AZEqualizer
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
He said it was supposed to have a higher chance but he would have to check

Archellion
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Right, that's what I meant. Resources are used to buy the Keycodes which in turn with Scrip are used to purchase the lockboxes. Check. Resources to mod weapons. Check. Anything else?
I wouldn't spend salvage on keycodes. You get plenty of those from doing the little side events (i.e. rescuing E-Reps or squashing hellbugs on the highways.) So far, at EGO 524, I can only hold 75 keycodes, so I just dump them into lockboxes when I get close to full. There doesn't seem to be any other use for them at the moment.

I'm holding on to the gulanite for weapon modding.

Bobbyieboy
04-10-2013, 12:21 PM

No correct, if you factor total number of keys spend compaired to a 1 to 1 box ratio. Do the math both ways and you will see. Tier 3 is a bit better if you do the math with number of keys spent to orange items formula and that is what we are all trying to do here.

For the cost of 2 tier 4 lock boxes you can buy 5 tier 3 boxes. Even if the odds are better per box for the tier 4 it's not better when you have 2 vs. 5.

Math is a great thing!

Jenua
04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Math really is a great thing. Makes life easier, and people in school ALWAYS complain about it. Im always thinking to my self "thank god i payed attention"