PDA

View Full Version : This game is not for the new guy

Bilbo Baggins
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
I am new to the shooter world. I am a rpg guy with swords and shields. This game has no mercy for the beginner. I read threads on how to do it, but it does not work that way for me. I always miss something and get myself killed. I am doing the A Bullet for a Badman, Boss Fight, Dogtown Mine! quest and have died more times than I can count. I don't even want to go back in.

So now this game is useless to me because I cannot continue on the main quest. Why don't they give you options to hire some help if you need it. I am old and can't move like you young guys. I guess I just have to back to Skyrim. Dev's, please change these rediculous instances so us rookies can ask for help. Right now I can do nothing. I am too disgusted. This is stupid to design it like this. You are going to lose customers this way.

Ok, sorry for the rant, the green light is now on and you can commence with crucifying this noob and calling me a whiner.

Ikagawa
04-10-2013, 04:32 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Ikagawa/woodyharrelson1.gif

Cyan
04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
oh my god, i will reply to this just to see the next few replies.

AlbionsBlade
04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm disabled and my reaction times are shot to hell but this game is not the problem. If you've got deficiencies find a different way to play, there are many ways to achieve an objective and it's made even easier with other players trying for the same objective.

Don't whine learn, practice and get better.

Warkaiser
04-10-2013, 04:53 PM
You might be better off with a an XBOX / PS3 controller. If not that, possibly a gaming keypad. Personally I have a Belkin N52te. This: http://www.belkin.com/n52te/index1.html

Munx
04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
While I have no issues with missions myself, I am not suprised that some of the solo ones would be to much for certain people, and while I would kill to not have them toned down in difficulty, It would definatly be a good idea to allow people at the very least to bring 1 other person in, while scaleing the encounter ofc.

Schneeble
04-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Same here not used to FPS, but i kinda enjoy the challenge in the game. Still i guess ive finished the campaign rather slowly took me around 20 hours :/. Now i just try to figure out how to increase reputation to get some purple stuff. Anyway i wont spoil anything but i guess most have seen him, the finalbattle is epic :D had a blast. However back to the topic, a easy way to beat harder encounters for me was with a sniperrifle and some boxes as cover.

iChinglish
04-10-2013, 05:01 PM
I guess now isn't the right time to say that I've been playing shooters for 14 years?

No...?

I can't honestly constructively comment on this thread, as I can't speak from the point of view of someone who isn't used to shooters. I hope you do find a resolution though, as being stuck in a game for hours is not fun :(

Kroktar
04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
this is a MMO its not all about main story....there are MANY way to progress your character...even if its RNG loot....but you will unlock Perks and become stronger...also you will get spider sense

Monkheal
04-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Practice makes perfect, and if not go level up your ego more on arkfalls etc and get more perks to help. Try different weapon combo's etc until you find what works for you. Roll around alot, it keeps u from getting killed, use cover if your shield is down or you know your about to be shot at. The more you play the better you will get

malaclypse
04-10-2013, 05:33 PM
most mobs don't even regen health when you die. How much easier do you want it?

also, the main mission can pretty much be ignored indefinitely. ride around doing roadside encounters and grind some codes. if all else fails, find a combat shotgun and a grenade launcher, preferably one of the manually detonated or cluster types, with a 4 or 5 round magazine.

grenade spam anything non elite, empty the shotgun at point blank range into an elite.

alsi what kind of shield are you using? personally i prefer a respark with a recharge delay of 2 seconds and change, usually that's not even enough time for them to move to flank you, let alone get around even minimal cover.

Neokro
04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Coraline
04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
You are not "Stuck". There is plenty of other things to do and build yourself up to come back to mission.

Keydric
04-10-2013, 06:05 PM
I am new to the shooter world. I am a rpg guy with swords and shields. This game has no mercy for the beginner. I read threads on how to do it, but it does not work that way for me. I always miss something and get myself killed. I am doing the A Bullet for a Badman, Boss Fight, Dogtown Mine! quest and have died more times than I can count. I don't even want to go back in.

So now this game is useless to me because I cannot continue on the main quest. Why don't they give you options to hire some help if you need it. I am old and can't move like you young guys. I guess I just have to back to Skyrim. Dev's, please change these rediculous instances so us rookies can ask for help. Right now I can do nothing. I am too disgusted. This is stupid to design it like this. You are going to lose customers this way.

Ok, sorry for the rant, the green light is now on and you can commence with crucifying this noob and calling me a whiner.

Defiance requires more of a skill based play more common in shooters rather than games like Rift or WoW where you work a keyboard rotation. Most of the game is easy, some of the missions like Bullet for a Badman can be hard and require some shooter frame of mind thought that the game tries to point out, but most people don't hear it.

Check out this video to make short work of the boss. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKseL64J3xA

SteveMND
04-10-2013, 06:06 PM
I can't honestly constructively comment on this thread, as I can't speak from the point of view of someone who isn't used to shooters.

Well, allow me then, as I'm definately not a shooter-type player. :D

OP, try playing around with other weapon combos and such. I'm middle-aged, fat, and have MS, so my reaction times couldn't be said to be particularly good in comparison to most players.

And yes, I find some of the missions kinda tough as well. However, my main character uses a Sniper Rifle and a Shotgun. With a sniper rifle, if you are patient and plan ahead, you can pick off enemies quite deftly with little risk unless you do something really stupid. And a good pump shotgun with a decent clip can alleviate the fact that you may not be able to hit something with grand precision. A two-meter-wide spread against half-meter wide Raider leaves plenty of room for the non-leet skillz.

Plus, as you get higher, pick you EGO perks to maximize your abilities; my sniper has the 'does more damage when cloaked' and that works just as well with sniper rifle as it does with a shottie, and cloaking, running up behind a Raider shieldman and killing him in one shot does put a smile on your face, skillz or no skillz.

So no, don't give up. And once they manage to fix the chat (fingers crossed) it'll hopefully be easier to put a call out for assistance as opposed to just finding yourself at the mercy of hoping someone else will be in the areas to help.

SonicBoom
04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
So now this game is useless to me because I cannot continue on the main quest. Why don't they give you options to hire some help if you need it.Um... they do give you that option. Defiance is an MMO, which means there are tons of other players in the game with you. All you need to do is ask someone for help, and they'll help you out. I'd do it myself, if i knew who you are in the game, and when you have the time to play.

What weapon are you using? If you find it hard to aim, you might want to use a different weapon. Light Machineguns are easy to use. Just aim in the general direction and hold the trigger down. Same with auto-pistols, though they obviously do a lot less damage. Shotguns need close range, but they do a lot of damage, and are easy to aim as they use a wide burst.

But if you want a really easy time, go with mass cannons. These babies don't do any damage at all if you aim at an enemy, but if you aim above them, it's a different story entirely. Just aim the rocket above a group of enemies, then press R (the reload key). The rocket will split in four and drop down, and each explodes and does a lot of damage. Not much survives that, and you can keep firing like this over and over. As I said. Easy mode. :)

Also, there's some pesky raider enemies with shields that can be an issue for some. My best tactics are either melee them to make them temporary drop the shield, then shoot them in the head. Or, alternatively (and my favorite), just use a light machinegun. Get in close and let rip, and you'll shoot the shields out of their hands. It's only temporary, but they'll be dead long before they can get the shield back in place. :)

And a good pump shotgun with a decent clip can alleviate the fact that you may not be able to hit something with grand precision.
As a tip, I found a Combat shotgun with autofire. Just hold the button down, and you'll fire it rapidly until the mag runs out. :)

VINCE
04-10-2013, 06:41 PM

We all had to start somewhere lol. I've been playin shooters since I was like 7 or 8 (I'm almost 20), and not very many games can ready you for another. Just keep trying. My name in the game is Krazzz, feel free to add me. Maybe we could team up, and I could help ya get through some of the game.

Cthulu
04-10-2013, 06:49 PM
most mobs don't even regen health when you die. How much easier do you want it?

also, the main mission can pretty much be ignored indefinitely. ride around doing roadside encounters and grind some codes. if all else fails, find a combat shotgun and a grenade launcher, preferably one of the manually detonated or cluster types, with a 4 or 5 round magazine.

grenade spam anything non elite, empty the shotgun at point blank range into an elite.

alsi what kind of shield are you using? personally i prefer a respark with a recharge delay of 2 seconds and change, usually that's not even enough time for them to move to flank you, let alone get around even minimal cover.

The only enjoyable thing in this game is the story of the main mission. I would be rather upset as well if I couldn't enjoy the story.

To the OP, I would recommend practicing on side missions and such, as others have suggested. Find weapons that you feel you are best with, as others have also said. If all else fails, if you have a friend playing, or better at shooters, ask them to get you past the part you are stuck at. I know the Nim fight in the end took me about half an hour and many deaths to get past since I'm not used to shooters anymore either.

I wish you the best of luck.

Brynnza
04-10-2013, 07:25 PM
I agree with the OP, I have no problem breezing through this game but I do understand why it would be difficult for a less seasoned shooter player.

Anyone here arguing or insulting this guy needs to get back in their box, nobody cares that your EGO rating is over nine thousand and im not talking about the EGO rating ingame. Putting this guy down doesn't make him any less truthful and telling him to learn to play doesn't help either. Get a life, or some mental support, either are obviously lacking for you.

dirtyklingon
04-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Um... they do give you that option. Defiance is an MMO, which means there are tons of other players in the game with you. All you need to do is ask someone for help, and they'll help you out. I'd do it myself, if i knew who you are in the game, and when you have the time to play.

you do know that some of the most dificult content in the game is in solo instances right? you know where you can't get help at all?

BattleTested
04-10-2013, 08:07 PM
you do know that some of the most dificult content in the game is in solo instances right? you know where you can't get help at all?

ending boss took me like 7 trys and iv been a gamer for 15 years mostly fps / 3rd person games / rts

Embril
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
I can see how it'd be frustrating, but if you stick with it you're going to get through any part you get stuck on eventually. Keep moving, dodge frequently, and stick a BMG as your second weapon so you can switch to it and recharge your shields with it when they drop. If you get hit hard, charge yourself up with the BMG while you run for cover, and then come back out and work on reducing their numbers and the amount of fire you take even if you do wind up dying. Don't forget your grenades, use them every chance you get.

The controller suggestion isn't a bad one, either. I prefer keyboard and mouse, but you're going to be better with whichever you feel more comfortable with.

If you really hit a wall, take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes doing that is enough to make you wonder why it was hard in the first place.

Taaltos
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Here's what you do. Make sure you have a Respark or Hurricane Shield. They have less Energy, but recharge faster. You can shoot hide shoot hide.

Now, stay behind the crates and take out the first wave of baddies.

Rose will get cutscene and a little imp fire guy will run under Jackleg Joe and knock his shields down.

Now, blast him.

His shield will go up.

Fight off the waves some more, still staying behind the crate.

A burner guy will appear. Let him run to you, Melee him, when he's on the ground, shoot the tank on his back.

He's run away screaming, "It burnnnnssss" and run back under Jackleg Joe knocking his shields down.

Keep doing this, until you get a mini-scene, Jackleg Joe will jump down. Now just circle strafe him and unload what you have in him.

I used my FRC SAW, but whatever your high DPS weapon is, you can use that too. Once he's down, he's easy sauce.

He's just like the grednadier guys, Blacklungs.

If you still need help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZ29nhWr8c

Spod
04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Just keep trying, you will learn. It really isn't that hard.

Take off auto aim. Usually this hurts you in most games because the aim is usually centered on target, you want headshots.

Learn keyboard mouse not gamepad, mouse offers WAY more precision and faster response. Learn it and love it.

Roll is your friend, when you see a rocket or grenade, ROLL! soon it becomes auto reaction just as running away is your normal reaction.

If you have the cloak ability, use it. If you don't and your new to FPS get it. It is the biggest life saving skill there is I think followed maybe by decoy. Just remember to run away from your starting position, they continue to fire and lob grenades at the spot they lost you at.

Try the different weapons, I leveled up my assault weapons to 10 before I realized I like the Light Machine guns. Scoped at 400 damage a shot with an 85 starting clip is nasty to everything. Burst fire to control that recoil.

Remember that if your weapon levels you will no longer gain experience in that weapon type if you continue to use it, so always switch out to a new one when it levels. Keep an eye out for backups to what you are using and don't accidently scrap/sell them.

It can get ridiculously expensive to remove mods from weapons. But recovering them becomes a priority when they are all level 3 mods... I sometimes use an unmodded or level 1 mod weapon to level till I have enough to recover the good mods, never scrap a weapon with good mods.

Use cover, before starting a fight make sure you have a place to hide behind to minimize the amount of guys shooting at you.

Roll, Roll, Roll... it is your best friend in this game when your getting your *** shot up.

ironhands
04-10-2013, 08:55 PM

that about sums it up right there. I'm trying to think of a polite way to say something.... I don't think I can though.

If you're having trouble aiming, use an SMG and spray&pray, or a shotgun at close range.

most importantly, practice.

Ikagawa
04-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Also, I just did the Jackleg Joe encounter. Easy. As. Hell.

Taaltos
04-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Eh. Not too easy if you're not quite sure what to do. I got frustrated my first couple of times, due to being sent back to the beginning.

Ikagawa
04-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Eh. Not too easy if you're not quite sure what to do. I got frustrated my first couple of times, due to being sent back to the beginning.

Rosa tells you exactly what to do :P

mikegonzalez2k
04-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Best reply I've ever seen LOL

mikegonzalez2k
04-10-2013, 10:09 PM
1) Do all the sidequests, that will give you gear and help you gain points to put towards the EGO Grid which is effectively a leveling system.

2) Participate in as many Arkfalls as you can. You will gain lots of weapon XP from them, and usually a decent amount of EGO Rating at first. Side quests also help with EGO Rating.

3) Do Co-Op dungeons, lots of them. Just like other MMO's even if you suck and your gear sucks you can be carried as a dps through any instance. Chances are your group is decent and can clear the level without you. The good thing is you'll be able to practice your moves and not always be the main target of the enemy. Plus if you die your team will rez you.

4) Lastly increase your EGO Rating. Doing so will unlock more Perk slots. Which helps you also do a ton more dps.

For maximum damage I would focus on the EGO Power: Overcharge.

Overcharge + Perks

Risk Taker: When shield break your EGO Power extends duration by 15%
Killing Machine: Increases Overcharge Duration by 6 sec
Bloodlust: Damage recharges your EGO Power by 3%
Quick Charge: Reduce the CoolDown of Overcharge by 9 sec
Killing Spree: Increases duration of EGO by 6% on kill

Overcharge increases duration 60% (10s + 6s = 16s)
EGO Return on Shield Break, return 2.4s (15% of 16s = 2.4s)
EGO Return 3% per hit which is 1/2s (3% of 16s = 0.48)
Reduced CD by 22.5% (9s / 40 s = 0.225)
EGO Return 1s per kill (6% of 16s = 0.96s)

These will extend the duration of your EGO Power while minimizing the Cooldown.

I top dps charts with this build and if you get the hang of it you will too.

mikegonzalez2k
04-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Oh one more thing here are the controls I recommend as someone who does alot of both MMO and FPS games.

Jump - Right Mouse Button
Aim - Side Mouse Button
Melee - Middle Mouse Button
Sprint - Shift
Roll - Spacebar
Crouch - C

Strategies for combat:
Practice rolling out of danger. Stand directly right of the wall and unload your gun on enemies. When you have to reload either run back behind the wall for cover or roll to it.

If enemies are charging you hold shift and run backward away and use a snake like S pattern with rolling to dodge their fire.

Learn your enemies. All big enemies on this game have weakspots which are highlighted in Orange or Red. Learn these spots and you will hit critical hits and down them faster.

Learn the enemy AI.

Warriors are weakest in their mouth. Their butt is also a weakspot.
Monarchs have a shell so don't waste ammo on their exoskeleton. Wait for them expose their belly then unload on it. IF you do enough damage the flaps on it's back will open exposing weakpoints.
The scorpion looking enemies are weak on in their eye and the tail when the eye is closed.

Shock works well on shields and mechanical creatures like Scrappers.
Fire is better for hellbugs and things with no shields.
Radioactive is good for armored enemies.

Dazz
04-10-2013, 10:51 PM
OP, that was me last week.

I'm from Rift/Wow and don't have the muscle memory for wasd and the rest. Look me up and see how I did it. I eventually got through.

Probably took more tries than anyone else in the game, but I did it and I'm an old fart with slow reflexes. If I can do it, you can do it, seriously. Keep trying.

As others suggested, take some time away from it. Go do some side missions and stuff. See if you can get better gear.

Ikagawa
04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm from Rift/Wow and don't have the muscle memory for wasd and the rest.

What? Both games have WASD as their default movement keys. For you to not be used to those controls you would have had to rebind them.

mikegonzalez2k
04-10-2013, 11:17 PM
The controls in this game aren't quite as complex as Rift or WoW. I played of those extensively as well.
Those games both had action bars which you consistently had to spam in combinations. This game isn't like that. It's more based on your skill at aiming and dodging.

From a standard MMO you should already be used to WASD movement and some jumping button.
This game adds sprinting, rolling, and crouching which are all standard FPS movements.

Try playing the PC version of Mass Effect 3, the movement is almost identical.
You only have two action buttons in this game.
Your EGO Power, and your Grenade.

Those are the only two buttons which have cooldowns that matter in combat.
The third is your vehicle.

That's it.

You get shot at, you duck and cover, or run to cover, or roll to cover.
Someone runs at you, you run away, or roll away or to the side.

Simple movement mechanics.

I guess one other thing... Always reload... It will save your life.
Every time you take cover, reload unless it's a shotgun or long reload time.
If you can't reload fast enough run AT THE ENEMY then melee them.

This will give you a pause to reload while they are stunned.

Defy
04-11-2013, 02:28 AM
just keep practicing youll get it :)

Balty Salls
04-11-2013, 05:10 AM
I have found it sometimes helpful to take out a sniper rifle and thin out some of the enemies before I go charging into an area. Also cloak and a nice shotgun to the back will allow for some quick kills.

Escyos
04-11-2013, 05:12 AM
I'm new to shooters too, Defiance is my first actually.

You do get used to it, but it takes time.

Doowi
04-11-2013, 05:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BaPvO.gif

Elite_T91
04-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Not sure if serious or trolling ....

Oxcraig
04-11-2013, 06:08 AM

I sincerely understand your problem. I am a 40 something and have been playing fantasy sword and shield MMORPGs since 1999 and this FPS is killing me. I must have died 200 times on that mission. I even ran out of scrip and had to get more to continue. I started searching youtube videos to help me out.

I am really stuck on the mission fighting Zim as my fingers keep hitting the wrong keys on the keyboard and I die. If you clear a phase, you should not have to go back through the whole thing when I felt like it was more luck than skill to play this game at least when it comes down to a boss fight. When I started fighting Zim, my EGO level was 230. The forums stated that you really need to be about 500. I left the instance but did not abandon the mission and have managed to get my EGO to 410. I hope to get my EGO to 500 today but will find this difficult as all the side missions have disappeared from my map and are no longer being displayed on the road either.

Ralifur
04-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Not everyone is a gaming god. Someone have it harder with games than others. Same as some having it harder doing logical thoughts than others or you can even include other things as well. :-)

I can only give you a couple of tips as to how to do the event but I sadly cannot do the event for you. As far I understand it is the event where you gotta strike the flame tanks on the backs of the small ones to lower his shield. There is an easy way to do this.

First thing you wanna do is give the small flame guy a melee slap. that will send him flying and rolling to the ground. Once he lands on the ground the tanks will be facing upwards and you can shoot the tank which will put it on fire with just 1 bullet.

My tip for the second phase once you get to the point where he jumps down is to keep max distance and dodge left and right. Also use a weapon with alot of firepower. For this fight I personally used a SAW since ive found this weapon to be outperforming pretty much anything in the game when it comes to single target firepower. It will require you to have a bit of patience to use tho as full auto with it will cause the spread to be kinda big so I personally tend to do short bursts with 10 bullets fired per burst or so and then rest for a second where I then resume firing again.

I also used cloak for the fight. Generally I use cloak for anything apart from co-ops where I go with overcharge or decoy.
Cloak will save you in those moments where your shield bursts and you will require some shield regen as as soon you cloak it will start to regen back.

As for shield people have already mentioned the respark type of shield due to the low timing before it starts to charge and the high charge rate it will give you. Will give you a decent amount of survivability.

As for perks I have no idea how many you can have and how much you have unlocked on the EGO grid but I would probably suggest going with the perks that gives you alot of survivability. I have found that the dmg increasing perks usually is just overkill and you fare better going with survivability due to how this gameplay is based.

Survivability perks can include:

Thick skinned - 50% dmg reduction for 3 sec after shield bursts with 15 sec internal cd
Fortitude - Increase your health by 225
Cellular armor - 6% dmg reduction
Regeneration - 3% health regeneration (dont know how much it regens per second but it feels way more than 3% really and its a constant even when ur shield is down)

There are probably more than the ones I mentioned there but they have saved my *** nummerous times in pve due to the survivability it offers. You can even do a decent amount of mistakes before things will really go wrong this way also. :-)

Taaltos
04-11-2013, 08:20 AM
This thread keeps going. But Bilbo hasn't posted a single other post.

xD

He's gone.

Draggu
04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
As a person coming from playing mostly WoW and Rift. I see how frustrating some of the missions can be. But I am enjoying this game immensely. I can say that the biggest problem for me is coming from being a mouse clicker (casting spells from the cast bars using my mouse instead of key bindings and the keyboard).

Now I'm having to learn a different way of playing. Like, "I should throw a Grenade" but my fingers haven't learned were the "G" key is yet or were the Alt key is so I can Roll.

I'm learning and dying, but I'm having fun anyways. Things will come together sooner or later with more practice.

Remag Div
04-11-2013, 09:20 AM
This is why Devs usually never listen to the community. lol

fishboy11
04-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Damn, i am old too, just turned 41, but i find the game is kind of too easy, you just need to practice and learn how to dodge and use your skills properly and use the right weapon for the mission.

fishboy11
04-11-2013, 09:24 AM
As a person coming from playing mostly WoW and Rift. I see how frustrating some of the missions can be. But I am enjoying this game immensely. I can say that the biggest problem for me is coming from being a mouse clicker (casting spells from the cast bars using my mouse instead of key bindings and the keyboard).

Now I'm having to learn a different way of playing. Like, "I should throw a Grenade" but my fingers haven't learned were the "G" key is yet or were the Alt key is so I can Roll.

I'm learning and dying, but I'm having fun anyways. Things will come together sooner or later with more practice.

bind the keys to what you are used to, i use the same setup for all games, shooters/rpg's etc..., i personally find the arrow keys and the keys surrounding it work best for me, but i am an old school gamer and thats how keys used to come setup in games before they switched it to wasd.

Blak
04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
There are so many factors here that could be the issue.

The OP says he is old, that is a viable reason to have issues, but not one you can't overcome.

Pace yourself.... there are not endless waves of guys.... it may seem that way but almost all instances of combat are based on enemy head count you must cut down.

I suggest an assault rifle for long range and a shotgun or SMG for close range, these don't require much aiming and far more forgiving to those who don't have godly twitch skills.

Find some friends to quest with, or get into a Clan of people that are like minded.
I play with my wife who as well is a noob-cake, but she is willing to keep at it and learn what works and doesn't work.... last night we both did a solo quest at the same time and she kept getting killed, she watched what I did as I beat it and then emulated it and beat the mission.

Shooters are not like Sword and Board MMORPGs. There are no clear cut rules on how you win the fight. You need to invent methods of approach to better aid you in the mission.

Don't give up, keep at it... and don't use your age as a reason for having a hard time.... many monks would argue that age has nothing to do with ability.:eek:

Oxcraig
04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
I would love to find people to play with but like other suckers in this game I got handed a dead clan. I have no way to disband it or even find out what it is called. I don't like handing problems to others and would like to find a more permanent solution to rid myself of this dead clan.

Jaws
04-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I sincerely understand your problem. I am a 40 something and have been playing fantasy sword and shield MMORPGs since 1999 and this FPS is killing me. I must have died 200 times on that mission. I even ran out of scrip and had to get more to continue. I started searching youtube videos to help me out.

I am really stuck on the mission fighting Zim as my fingers keep hitting the wrong keys on the keyboard and I die. If you clear a phase, you should not have to go back through the whole thing when I felt like it was more luck than skill to play this game at least when it comes down to a boss fight. When I started fighting Zim, my EGO level was 230. The forums stated that you really need to be about 500. I left the instance but did not abandon the mission and have managed to get my EGO to 410. I hope to get my EGO to 500 today but will find this difficult as all the side missions have disappeared from my map and are no longer being displayed on the road either.

I recommend using a spanner in this mission. I finished with 224 EGO rating, as I only did the main quest until I was done. More ego rating doesn't really get you much of use. First time I entered with an smg and a sniper, and failed miserably.

But with the spanner you hardly have to aim. Just circle around one of the pillars, while wearing him down with the constant beam. If you take a hit or two, heal yourself up with the alternate fire. Then rinse and repeat. Once you reach the third phase, you no longer have to restart the encounter. Only that phase.

Scarfe
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM

One bit of advice, map your dodge to your mouse. The alt key is useless for it.

SonicBoom
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Oh one more thing here are the controls I recommend as someone who does alot of both MMO and FPS games.

Jump - Right Mouse Button
Aim - Side Mouse Button
Sprint - Shift
Roll - Spacebar
Crouch - CI'm left-handed, so my setup is different:

Jump - V
Aim - Right mouse button
Sprint - Ctrl
Roll - F
Crouch - C
Vehicle - Shift

As a friendly newbie-advice, try to find a safe area where you can shoot at random stuff (doesn't even need to damage anything). A tree or rock works fine. Practice running around in a circle around tree, while looking at it the whole time. Try to keep aiming at the tree as best you can, as long as you can. If you can do three or four laps around the tree, you're getting the hang of it. Now, try to equip an assault rifle, light machiegun or something similar. The damage doesn't matter. What you need is a weapon that keeps firing constantly. Try to run a few laps around the tree like you already did, but keep shooting at it the whole time.

When you are confident you can make a lap or two around the tree and keep shooting at it the whole time, switch to a manual fire weapon. Pistols, shotguns etc works fine here. Try to keep running around the tree, and this time keep pressing the attack button to shoot the tree. When you are confident you can aim decently, run around the tree and switch weapons (and fire them, of course.) Don't worry, the tree won't fight back. :) I know it can sound stupid to run around a tree like this, but trust me, it's great exercise. Pretty soon you'll be running around, jumping, rolling around and picking off enemies with headshots with ease. :)

13lackRain
04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
One word - FLASHBANG!

Toss one out at the little smelter and it will cause him to light on fire and run to Joe taking his shields down. BAM.... done!

Oxcraig
04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
I will take that advice and test it when I get home from work. However, the mission "A bullet for a bad man" has 3 phases and if you die you start all over.

Ikagawa
04-11-2013, 02:50 PM

xD

He's gone.

Nah, senility kicked in.

Quirky
04-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Personally I think this game isn't for the Old school MMO players. Really doesn't have any sense of achievement as compared to other MMO's (May be RPG such as WoW and such but in terms of content it lasted a lot longer than this). Modern MMO's and games in general nowadays seem to be lacking in Content, execution and planning. It all seems like a rush out the door for maximum .

Personally I think this game is quite disappointing, having to release DLC so soon after a release to push out more content, and make more money. I was hoping for More to do (The Map was quite Misleading) Its no wonder why they wanted Alpha footage to be kept quiet.

It has its good moments and there's no point getting a refund, but I already feel like I've got all the fun I can out of the Current content when all I have left is Pursuits and a Korean Grind Fest. If I wanted that I'd go play Tera.

It's good, but not as good as it needs to be. I've not rushed the content I've done a few hours a night all the Side missions and such I'm about 60/104? in the Pursuits and in Reality there is nothing left to do. Hoping the "DLC" and the Show will bring something different rather than the same thing just a different mission.

I'm tired of getting a Side quest and having the POI about 5 ft away from the marker and boom - You complete it. Nothing Challenging nothing fun about an easy ride.

Ikagawa
04-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Its no wonder why they wanted Alpha footage to be kept quiet.

Anyone with any experience testing games knows that the reason Alpha footage is kept quiet is because it's always under NDA.

srf3003
04-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I started out thinking I was too awful to play this game. With a couple days play and some decent weapons, I'm doing much better now (stupid starter pistol stinks)

Ikagawa
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
I started out thinking I was too awful to play this game. With a couple days play and some decent weapons, I'm doing much better now (stupid starter pistol stinks)

The starter pistol does not stink. It stinks if you are unable to aim for the head.

Quirky
04-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Anyone with any experience testing games knows that the reason Alpha footage is kept quiet is because it's always under NDA.

Thank You Captain Obvious! I would NEVER have guessed that. However some companies Release Footage or Lift the NDA.

The starter pistol does not stink. It stinks if you are unable to aim for the head.

And based upon that Response it would seem the majority of your Post count would have been accumulated with useless remarks and obvious statements. Well Done Sir! Well Done.

Ikagawa
04-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Thank You Captain Obvious! I would NEVER have guessed that. However some companies Release Footage or Lift the NDA.

Name me a company that has lifted the NDA during alpha testing.

And based upon that Response it would seem the majority of your Post count would have been accumulated with useless remarks and obvious statements. Well Done Sir! Well Done.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Ikagawa/supernatural2.gif (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Ikagawa/media/supernatural2.gif.html)

gothicshark
04-11-2013, 03:12 PM
to the OP.

I'm a long term RPG player, which means I to have played much Elder Scrolls. I am also well over 40 and started RPGs with a d20 in the 80's. It didn't take me long to figure out how to play this game quickly and easily. Granted what I did was go to my local game store and buy a wired 360 controller. Sure it takes getting use to, and the game is just awesome but use your brain if you are having trouble adjusting.

Quirky
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Name me a company that has lifted the NDA during alpha testing.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Ikagawa/supernatural2.gif (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Ikagawa/media/supernatural2.gif.html)

Did I say During?

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q687/alishafication/GIFs/Reaction%20GIFs/tumblr_mkng39L3JQ1qgsr1po1_250_zps4a2057fa.gif

Its good to see you can't read and make assumptions.

Ikagawa
04-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Did I say During?

Its good to see you can't read.

Your evasion is cute since your whole argument was based on what happened during alpha testing. You can pretend that not having the single word removes the implication.

Quirky
04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Your evasion is cute since your whole argument was based on what happened during alpha testing. You can pretend that not having the single word removes the implication.

And You Sir are an Oxygen Thief, Opinion doesn't make something a Fact. I did have something else here but at the end of the day all you want is the Attention <3

Wastelander
04-11-2013, 03:37 PM
I did that mission alone.You need another person to make it easier. Even if that other person is yourself and known as Decoy...

SteveMND
04-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Okay, well, this thread is going downhill fast all of a sudden.

Back on topic:

xD

He's gone.

Well, that may be (or may just not frequent the forums very often -- as some people can easily show, most MMO forums are wallowing cesspools of the worst kind of people, and that doesn't engender a lot of casual people pouring though them). Regardless! Ii think all these hints and suggestions are great for a number of other non-shooty-type players. :)

AGuyWithNoName
04-11-2013, 03:44 PM
1) Do all the sidequests, that will give you gear and help you gain points to put towards the EGO Grid which is effectively a leveling system.

2) Participate in as many Arkfalls as you can. You will gain lots of weapon XP from them, and usually a decent amount of EGO Rating at first. Side quests also help with EGO Rating.

3) Do Co-Op dungeons, lots of them. Just like other MMO's even if you suck and your gear sucks you can be carried as a dps through any instance. Chances are your group is decent and can clear the level without you. The good thing is you'll be able to practice your moves and not always be the main target of the enemy. Plus if you die your team will rez you.

4) Lastly increase your EGO Rating. Doing so will unlock more Perk slots. Which helps you also do a ton more dps.

For maximum damage I would focus on the EGO Power: Overcharge.

Overcharge + Perks

Risk Taker: When shield break your EGO Power extends duration by 15%
Killing Machine: Increases Overcharge Duration by 6 sec
Bloodlust: Damage recharges your EGO Power by 3%
Quick Charge: Reduce the CoolDown of Overcharge by 9 sec
Killing Spree: Increases duration of EGO by 6% on kill

Overcharge increases duration 60% (10s + 6s = 16s)
EGO Return on Shield Break, return 2.4s (15% of 16s = 2.4s)
EGO Return 3% per hit which is 1/2s (3% of 16s = 0.48)
Reduced CD by 22.5% (9s / 40 s = 0.225)
EGO Return 1s per kill (6% of 16s = 0.96s)

These will extend the duration of your EGO Power while minimizing the Cooldown.

I top dps charts with this build and if you get the hang of it you will too.

You can also look into the health perks and there is a handy defensive perk (cell something) that will up your damage thresh hold for each point you spend in said perk. I solo A LOT and these definitely help. Once you start working your way over towards some of the other main EGO powers you'll also get handy perks that'll help with causing better status effects depending on the gun type you use. Also, don't be afraid to invest (once you get spare perk slots available) in grenade refreshing perks to throw into your solo build and see if you can find a nice cluster grenade or AoE type grenade to fit your playstyle.

And to the poster that said practice makes perfect, no it doesn't...but perfect practice does ;).

(Sorry, had to throw that in there. I hear my high school wrestling coach saying that every time I see that said somewhere. Not trying to pick on you :) )

Ikagawa
04-11-2013, 03:48 PM
And You Sir are an Oxygen Thief, Opinion doesn't make something a Fact. I did have something else here but at the end of the day all you want is the Attention <3

http://geeksoulbrother.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/SpaceballMaid.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Ikagawa/hankhill1.gif (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Ikagawa/media/hankhill1.gif.html)

Valethar
04-11-2013, 04:11 PM
I have to laugh at the idiots telling the guy to ask other people for help, group up, etc..

Apparently, instead of actually reading the post, those derps decided to jump on the troll bandwagon instead.

For those of you with reading comprehension issues, one cannot group up for solo story instances such as the OP mentioned. Telling him to ask someone to help him do those isn't going to be of any benefit to him at all.

darknessjw
04-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Hehe, please no rookie modes

This game is already on easy mode.

Try out some 1990- shooters

Oxcraig
04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Hehe, please no rookie modes

This game is already on easy mode.

Try out some 1990- shooters

Wow, seriously? I have been playing computer games since they were all-text adventures in the 1980's. I remember playing Pong when it came out in the 1970's and the Atari 2600. I remember playing Doom, Heretic, and Wolfenstein. For those people who remember the pencil and paper rpg's, I have been playing those since D & D came out in the 1980's. I don't appreciate condenscending remarks that we need to play the old 1990 FPS games. I started playing Everquest in 1999 as well as Asheron's Call, City of Heroes, City of Villains, WoW, Everquest 2 and those are just to name a few.

We can't all be as adept as you but we could use a bit of respect since we did mention that some of us are having problems since it is not the genre (big word for some of you) that we are use to but would like a little support on how we can do better.

Sorry, for the rant.

Kiriel
04-12-2013, 02:10 AM
What? Both games have WASD as their default movement keys. For you to not be used to those controls you would have had to rebind them.
Many of us use the mouse for direction except reverse. Using keys only takes getting used to. I put reverse and dodge for The Secret World on my mouse....although I can have two bindings per control in that game. Straffing in some of the MMO's wasn't used as much since you needed to hit the 1-9 keys or other keys.

OP, I have the same problem and I mainly just keep going. If I only kill one and die I press the E or X and run/drive back. Usually in these missions the people/bugs stay dead and you can go on to the next. It is great in the areas that aren't solo instances and someone does jump in and you can usually get more done with less death. Also, be thinking about your strategy and adjust each time. Read a lot of what people have said and try those things. Lots of good advice. Some less than helpful.

Stick with it. I would probably drop it if it weren't for the TV tie-in and wanting to see where this will go. Both in lore and in gameplay. And I am enjoying getting into the shooter type game. But by making it a shooter it will eliminate many of the normal mmorpg players. It lacks many of the things that give MMO's their longevity. I am sure there are many people who play both but I get the idea that the hardcore in both stick mainly with that type. I might be wrong with that.