PDA

View Full Version : Guild System

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 02:28 AM
So, What is everyone looking for in the Guild system (if there is one) in Defiance?

Personally. I want to see in-game voice chat features for guilds, especially as there is a PS3 audience who wont have out-of-game vents.

And I also really want customization within guilds. Whether that's an in-game logo or unlockables for certain levels of guilds.

Escyos
06-06-2012, 03:21 AM
The one thing I want to see is some believability to names - SupAcoolBROS92 is not a good name, who would ever be named that! Yes I know people use the same name everywhere but cmon!

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 03:40 AM
The one thing I want to see is some believability to names - SupAcoolBROS92 is not a good name, who would ever be named that! Yes I know people use the same name everywhere but cmon!

How about "Adsinonimous" :) - I hope on the consoles you don't have to use your actual Gamertag as I have seen some terrible names such as "zziSnipesX11Daskzz". lol

Escyos
06-07-2012, 07:52 AM
How about "Adsinonimous" :) - I hope on the consoles you don't have to use your actual Gamertag as I have seen some terrible names such as "zziSnipesX11Daskzz". lol

Yes yours is a name that an alien could have. If I ever met an alien called "zziSnipesX11Daskzz" I would punch it in the head(s).

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:20 AM
There will almost certainly be a guild/clan/army system in Defiance. An MMO without one simply wouldn't feel like an MMO to many players and I doubt Trion would make that mistake.

Typical features would be ranking systems, communitcation systems, command vaults, upgradge bonueses (actually that might not be typical, but it is something I think more games should employ), and alliance systems (if PvP is significant in the game).

Quizzical Harpy
06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
There almost certainly be a guild/clan/army system in Defiance.

Ohh! I like the sound of clans ^^

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Ohh! I like the sound of clans ^^

I'm sure it would make Xbox users more at home if they were to be called clans.

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Machinima have just had another interview with Trion and he confirmed that there will be guilds.

See it here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?47-Machinima-interviews-Rob-Hill&p=593#post593)

Nemajneb
06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I'd like to see guild wars and alliances

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 04:40 AM
I'd like to see guild wars and alliances

What I would really like to see is if Guilds had an hour or so in an instance in a horde mode for example and the amount of monsters they kill gets in the time frame gives them a certain amount of points which then puts them on a Leaderboard for that server!

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Looking at what I just said, that feels very specific.. lol

Cyber
06-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Looking at what I just said, that feels very specific.. lol

Then in the future you should probably simply edit the previous post rather than double posting to increase your post count. I know everyone is super excited about Defiance and wants to have a huge post count right away, but let's try and have a bit of restraint.

Nemajneb
06-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Then in the future you should probably simply edit the previous post rather than double posting to increase your post count. I know everyone is super excited about Defiance and wants to have a huge post count right away, but let's try and have a bit of restraint.

So what,...the kid double posted, maybe he didn't mean it...get over it

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Ah, I didn't mean to double post, sorry. And what do you mean by everyone wants a high post count? Nobody cares at the amount or how many times someone makes an utterance. It's the quality of their text that matters. :P

Cyber
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Ah, I didn't mean to double post, sorry. And what do you mean by everyone wants a high post count? Nobody cares at the amount or how many times someone makes an utterance. It's the quality of their text that matters. :P

Well let's think about it like this...and by the way I wasn't trying to be patronizing or condescending, nor am I trying to be in what I am about to say. We have the opportunity to make the Defiance community into something really meaningful right out of the gate, with great discussions and thoughtful dialogue. If we really want to create such a community then perhaps we should all (me included) really try step up in terms of promoting that while limiting the amount of non-content single-line posts. If we look at the threads thus far, we have in fact been spamming a lot of more-or-less irrelevant posts which add nothing to the discussion.

Even ignoring the fact that such posting is contrary to Trion's code of conduct, the problem is that when new members arrive they have to dig through multiple pages of threads just to pull out the few posts with relevant information. More likely they will give up and make a new thread or, worse, simply write off the community as a joke and leave.

So, I agree with you that quality matters, but as of yet I would say a large percentage of our posts haven't really been in that category. There is nothing wrong with friendly banter, but I just think we should make as much of an effort as we can in these early stages of the community to set the tone. For example, Escyos asked us in another thread to refrain from using low-brow speech, and he is right, we should attempt to keep the discussion high quality whenever we can. I just also think that should extend to trying to make sure that the majority of posts also add relevance to every discussion.

Like I said, that goes for me too :)

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Like I said, that goes for me too :)

You have been one of the, if not the, best contributor to the high quality conversation in this forum. Everything you say is well structured and none of it is short. Me on the other hand, have an addiction on forums and sometimes forget about the quality of what I am saying. I will try to extend my utterances and fill them with lots of information relating to the thread topic but if I stray from this, please do not hesitate to tell me. I haven't been to forums in a long time since I went to the Xbox community but now I have recapped everything and wont be a disobedient and pointless member of this community any longer :)

Mezmure
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
any other news on guild/clan system.

Cyber
06-08-2012, 11:06 AM
now I have recapped everything and wont be a disobedient and pointless member of this community any longer :)

I think you are being a tad harsh on yourself. I am just saying let's all continue to work together to make this a really great community :)

any other news on guild/clan system.

Mezmure is corrent, I have derailed this topic...

Unforunately, like most everything else in Defiance, the guild system is a complete mystery to us right now, and so we can only speculate as to what might be included, and what we would like to see. I like the idea of a clan/guild meeting place that a clan can build and upgrade, but such things may simply be a pipe dream :)

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
In another thread people have been saying that there is more than enough space to incorporate player cities. I think this would be more than unlikely but I would love to see Guild Cities. It would be awesome to see other people's Guild houses.

Shubawks
06-14-2012, 11:36 PM
And I also really want customization within guilds. Whether that's an in-game logo or unlockables for certain levels of guilds.

This. A million times THIS! Customization for guilds is something I always look for in MMORPGs, and I'd really hope it's in Defiance as well. I love being able to create images or logos for our clan to wear inside the game, or display on huge buildings and stuff - definitely something I want! :)

Cyber
06-15-2012, 07:51 AM
This. A million times THIS! Customization for guilds is something I always look for in MMORPGs, and I'd really hope it's in Defiance as well. I love being able to create images or logos for our clan to wear inside the game, or display on huge buildings and stuff - definitely something I want! :)

Indeed. Any kind of guild customization goes a long way to making players and guilds feel more invested in a game, and players that feel invested are much more likely to stick around for the long haul. While guild-owned cities might be a stretch, guild-owned bases might not be, and certainly things like guild logos for character models isn't a stretch at all.

+1 to this idea.

Shubawks
06-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Indeed. Any kind of guild customization goes a long way to making players and guilds feel more invested in a game, and players that feel invested are much more likely to stick around for the long haul. While guild-owned cities might be a stretch, guild-owned bases might not be, and certainly things like guild logos for character models isn't a stretch at all.

+1 to this idea.

Definitely - and imagine the possibilities; we could possibly have customized vehicles that are your "guild colors" or sport your clan logos. That way you could spawn in different vehicles and what not, and they would all look the same.

Escyos
06-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Guilds are possible it seems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uule_TmhU7M Mentioned around 0:50

Adsinonimous
06-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Guilds are possible it seems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uule_TmhU7M Mentioned around 0:50

Possible? Guilds have been confirmed for those of you who don't know! :) - I hope this gets people more excited to see what they'll do with this system.

Escyos
06-17-2012, 02:46 AM
Possible? Guilds have been confirmed for those of you who don't know! :) - I hope this gets people more excited to see what they'll do with this system.

I was not aware that we had previous confirmation of guilds?

Adsinonimous
06-17-2012, 04:46 AM
I was not aware that we had previous confirmation of guilds?

In a few gameplay videos, Rob Hill had said that you can invite people to your guild and that was on of the purposes of the arkfalls - To meet people that you wouldn't usually see and invite them to your guild.

Cyber
06-17-2012, 07:41 AM
The chance of Defiance not having guilds was 0%, so it really isn't any big surprise. Not having guilds is insta-death for any MMO :)

Now if we could just get some details on things like types of PvP in the games, that would be golden!

Adsinonimous
06-17-2012, 11:34 PM
The chance of Defiance not having guilds was 0%, so it really isn't any big surprise. Not having guilds is insta-death for any MMO :)

Now if we could just get some details on things like types of PvP in the games, that would be golden!

Hmm, I wonder if you will be able to do Guild vs Guild PvP. That's always fun.

Nemajneb
06-18-2012, 07:26 AM
You know, if they don't have owpvp, but they at least allow owgvg...that'd work for me.

Cyber
06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
You know, if they don't have owpvp, but they at least allow owgvg...that'd work for me.

How would that work? Would it be similar to the system in EVE Online where two clans ("corps" in EVE) could declare war on each other after which they were flagged for PvP, but only to each other?

Now that I think about it, this would actually be avery interesting system to explore in an MMOFPS/TPS game. I always rather liked that kind of PvP system in EVE and added a very real sense of danger when one's corp was at war. Could be an interesting way to go.

Adsinonimous
06-18-2012, 02:17 PM
May be they're holding off the pvp information because they're going for a competetive route. May be winning competitions will give you or your guild a place in a show. That would be awesome in my opinion. This could tie in with guild rankings and so on.

Aythir
06-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Not only that, but it would be awesome if they could siege your guild base (if guild bases are implemented). I have always wanted to get hooked to a game that had some type of large guild housing implemented, ever since I played UO back in the day and had the guild drop as much gold to buy a keep and have NPCs selling our items at the doorsteps.

Occidio
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
If you look at Rift I believe this game will follow suit. Upgradable guild unlocks, guild logos, etc.. I would love to see some vehicle customization for guilds. Guild logos on the sides and hood. I'd love to see guild cities with banners that house the guild logo. Guild vs Guild pvp city combat where one guild can take another's city like Darkfall.

I want the guilds to be the main focus of the game in terms of player interaction. It seems like games these days don't pay enough attention to this fact.

ultimt1
06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
well seeing how the arkfall events are pretty much another term for a rift event, im guessing this game will be Rift 2. and seeing how warfronts were put into Rift in order to appeal to WOW players, im guessing this game will have something similiar. the only limb theyre willing to go out on, and that remains to be seen, is how the tv show and the game will supposedly interact with each other. oh, and that its a shooter of sorts....

pvp will be just like Rift is. im guessing........

of course, 99% of this whole forum is just wishing and guessing about the game anyways, so i put my guesses in there also. :P

Shubawks
06-18-2012, 07:58 PM
well seeing how the arkfall events are pretty much another term for a rift event, im guessing this game will be Rift 2. and seeing how warfronts were put into Rift in order to appeal to WOW players, im guessing this game will have something similiar. the only limb theyre willing to go out on, and that remains to be seen, is how the tv show and the game will supposedly interact with each other. oh, and that its a shooter of sorts....

of course, 99% of this whole forum is just wishing and guessing about the game anyways, so i put my guesses in there also. :P

Those are some pretty vast assumption - saying this game will be like RIFT is a little wild, did you play it at E3? :P

Adsinonimous
06-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Just out of curiosity - How many people are planning to make a guild, join a guild or are already part of a guild coming to defiance?

Aythir
06-19-2012, 01:37 PM
I am either going to start one or plan on joining one as an officer, I am just more comfortable when I know ill have someone that actually has a leadership type personality and not someone that gets upset or inexperienced trying to create logistics for a group of people.

Cyber
06-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Just out of curiosity - How many people are planning to make a guild, join a guild or are already part of a guild coming to defiance?

I am already part of one (technically I am the founder) of a small gaming community, and we hope that Defiance will be a game that will interest us. I for one am looking forward to it, and I really hope I can get the rest of my community to try it out, or failing that, hopefully I can recruit enough people in-game to warrant a Defiance division (time will tell).

ultimt1
06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Those are some pretty vast assumption - saying this game will be like RIFT is a little wild, did you play it at E3? :P

"of course, 99% of this whole forum is just wishing and guessing about the game anyways, so i put my guesses in there also. :P"

not a very serious post since we really know very little about the game.....

Punisher
06-21-2012, 12:16 PM

It's a shooter, of sorts? No, actually, it is a shooter. That makes it nothing like Rift at all.

The good news is we won't have to wait too long for more information, Trion is going to have a large drop of info at Gamescom regarding pvp and seeing as how the game is extremely close to release (in MMO development terms) they are going to have to start releasing info soon.

Gscully
06-21-2012, 01:13 PM

Me, I'm a member of the Old Timers Guild, we have about 4k members. When SWTOR started we had almost 2k member join. We ran into guild size limit issues. Hopefully that won't be an issue here.

ultimt1
06-21-2012, 02:36 PM
It's a shooter, of sorts? No, actually, it is a shooter. That makes it nothing like Rift at all.

The good news is we won't have to wait too long for more information, Trion is going to have a large drop of info at Gamescom regarding pvp and seeing as how the game is extremely close to release (in MMO development terms) they are going to have to start releasing info soon.

a real shooter is first person, so yes, of sorts. as far as like rift, we'll see.

Aythir
06-21-2012, 10:20 PM
a shooter, is a shooter like halo or gears of war. A First Person Shooter however is from the first person perspective (Halo). a third person shooter is from an angle usually over the left or right shoulder (Gears of War).

Punisher
06-22-2012, 07:51 AM
a real shooter is first person, so yes, of sorts. as far as like rift, we'll see.

You are entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be. Anytime you are playing something in real-time with "free aiming" or "active targeting" you are playing a shooter. At any rate, this thread is a discussion of the guild system so I will stop there.

Adsinonimous
06-22-2012, 08:59 AM
So.. What other guild features is everybody looking forward to or wanting? :)

Atlas
06-23-2012, 04:40 PM

If I can, I will make a Guild, else I'll just Claim in every Conversation that I'm the Leader of the self proclaimed Self Defense Force, which I am the only Member xD
EDIT: oh eh, I'd love Guild houses/halls/whatever and maybe something like Guild Missions/Jobs. Something you can start for your Guild to do.

Adsinonimous
06-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, guild houses are awesome and it's great if you're able to show them off to other guilds to make them jealous. Haha! :)

And Atlas, I guess you're a born leader, eh? :D

Outsider
06-24-2012, 02:51 AM
Good morning everyone. :)

I'd like to describe my idea of a great guild system a bit more in detail. As I'm German an English isn't my native language, please be patient. :D

In my opinion a guild system should provide features and options players need to create a working Community (Guild community), including chats, special quests, guild housing and so on. In the following text I'd like to describe each of the features.

Guild chat:

One of the most necessary featues. A seperate guild chat provides the easiest way for communication between guild members. Hard to understand that there are still games not providing this feature. In order to make it more visible, a different colour thatn the normal chat is recommended.

Guild quests:

Guild quests are a great way, to bring guild members even more close together. It can be daily and weekly quests to gather stuff, kill a certain amount of monsters, do some other daily quests a certain amount of times,... Or a mixture of all of them. It's totally up to the game system and what it allows to be done. As we've talked about dynamic content in another post already, such events could be included as well. For example "30 members have to take part in Arkfalls this week". Please note that guild quests have a similar effect to dungeon raids but work entirely different. Further, by doing these special guild quests, the guild could gain benefits regarding the game mechanics. For example slightly more damage, cheaper repair costs and so on.

Guild levels:

Players should be able to level up their guild, for example up to level 20. Each level provides certain benefits, no balance changing ones but "nice to have gimmicks". It's not making the game much easier, but it's another incentive to join a guild an be loyal.

Guild housing:

In most games, housing is still a "promise" for the future. I highly recommend not to underestimate this feature. It's a place to meet for guild meetings (in TS3/Ventrilo/... as well, of course), a place to store rewards (for example the heads of killed world and raid bosses) and so on. In simple words it's the place for guild members only, to relax but staying in game, a place to further increase the team spirit (sense of togetherness?!?), a place to be proud of your guild and what you achieved.

There are several ways to implement such a feature. For now I assume that there will be a main city as in most other games. Therefore, that city could be used to implement instanced guild houses. As everyone has a different opinion on what would look good, I think 5 different locations would be the best. Place them in the different areas of the city and make them look like their surrounding. So if you're in the military part of the city, the guild house should have a similar stile. Weapons, pictures of weapons, military equipment in general. If you choose the guild house in the harbour area, the house should look like that. Same works for any other area.

Besides that, guild leaders should be able to place furniture, rewards, ... in the guild house.

Guild vs Guild battles:

Another way to support guilds are guild battles. Of course there will be PvE guilds as well, but I assume that the majority enjoys PvP as well. And way more they would like it if they would represent their guild by taking part in guild battles. This could be monthly tournaments including a ranking accessable in game and on the Defiance homepage (armory?!?). The tournament could look like that:

1. Monthly tournament, limited to 100 valid fights.
2. Guilds can choose between "Practice" and "Official" to decide if they need more practise or if they are ready to battle officially.
3. At the end of the month, the top 10 guilds in the ranking get certain rewards. A special icon on their armor, a special trophy for their guild house and so on. They can keep these rewards for the following month until the next winners will be chosen.
4. Of course the ranking resets every month as it ensures same chances to win each month.

Guild insignia:

Guild members should have an option to publicly show which guild they are in. As capes won't work in Defiance I suggest special insignias on equipment, most likely body armor and helmets. The game should provide a huge amount of different colours, symbols and so on to allow a large variety of different insignias. There's nothing worse than seeing another guild using the same insignia.

Special guild dungeon:

This feature has been mentioned before already, but I'd like to point it out again as the idea is pretty good and already works fine in several games. One of the weekly quests (mentioned above) should be rewarded with a special guild dungeon. So guild members can work together to activate that dungeon which provides average loot. The detailed requirements can vary from game to game, always depends on the mechanics behind.

I hope I didn't miss anything. In general I would like to mention the importance of guilds once more. No matter how many cool bosses and features you have, if you guild system isn't good, your game will most likely fail. I believe that Trion is clever enough to know that as they did pretty well with Rift already. :)

Thanks a lot for reading and of course for any feedback or thoughts you would like to add. Looking forward to some more great discussions. :)

Greetings,
Outsider

Aythir
06-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Outsider, you make a lot of good points about what they should include with the guild system. I like the idea another MMO has done where you need 8 of the 10 members in your group to kill a raid boss and then it counts towards your guild completing it. But other then that all your points are pretty well explained at least as an overall. I would enjoy to see trophys from the giant bugs or machines we slay put someplace in a giant guild hall. =)

Quizzical Harpy
06-24-2012, 04:34 PM
I do like the sound of guild halls. It would be in the game's best interest to have these instances so they don't take up lots of room. To combat the possibility of empty cities (if players are always in this instance) they could include the option to make them public, allowing you to see kills from other guilds.

Another thing they would have to think about there. Balance, if people spend all their time afking in their guild halls then the world would be empty, make them too plain no-one would use the feature.

Atlas
06-25-2012, 12:15 PM
This is not directly for Guilds only, but i would love, if your Actions would have some Effect on the Enviroment/City. Something like, the Shops that get many Customers and have good business grow and others with less to no will slowly get smaller or go out of business. I got that Idea from a comic, where the main Character specially went to a Shopkeeper he liked and bought hundreds of small Potions and Herbs (other shops had big Potions and this one could just afford small ones) so the Shopkeeper could make a living. With a Guild maybe even supporting Shops or Inns or whatever is there in the City could be possible, to make them have better Items to buy.
It would help, connect the Players (or Guild) to the Game-Life and their Enviroment.

In-Guild-Ranks
It's a pretty simple thing, the Leader can make his vice and place some above others with different (even custom) Ranks to give them Rights and have a hierarchy thingy if wanted.

Guild NPCs
Unlockable with the Guild Levels (which I liked the Idea of) or whatever, so you can place NPCs around your Guildhall with funktions, like a Storehouse access, a Shop access, a character customisation funktion. Different Skins and Looks or even cappable of equipping Stuff you give them to wear.

And Atlas, I guess you're a born leader, eh? :D
I am honored by your thought my Friend, but I feel the (s)urge, an old Robot Joke ;) , to correct you. I haven't experienced the privilege to be born, I was only build. :D

MrMchale
06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Hmm all very good ideas. Though as for Guild Cities aren't they just preformed player cities?
And from what I understand we will be limited in areas we are able to access. I do vaguely remember in one of the videos they mention guild patches and logos. As is if they implement guild and player housing odds are it will be instanced and I also vaguely remember that there will possibly be open world pvp with in the game, though not real sure on that one.

What I would like to see is that there are multiple types of player associations besides the "guild/clan/outfit" that players could belong to. Eg one group specialises in PVE so does not really wish to be part of the PVP system but some members do so instead of leaving they form a seperate group for PVP recruit from other PVE focused groups with out bleeding the members out of the guilds because one can belong to say three or four different groups like one often can belong to several different types of clubs in real life.

Cyber
06-26-2012, 02:42 PM
What I would like to see is that there are multiple types of player associations besides the "guild/clan/outfit" that players could belong to. Eg one group specialises in PVE so does not really wish to be part of the PVP system but some members do so instead of leaving they form a seperate group for PVP recruit from other PVE focused groups with out bleeding the members out of the guilds because one can belong to say three or four different groups like one often can belong to several different types of clubs in real life.

Yes this is something GW2 is allowing (which I saw in the last beta weekend event), and I rather like it. Players can belong to multiple guilds, but only represent one of them at a time. In other words, players can choose whichever guild tag they want to wear at any given time, and that is the guild that gains points (influence) while they are wearing that tag. Quite an effective system if one wants to PvP with one group and PvE (or whatever) with another.