PDA

View Full Version : Syfy and it's future

Darktide
10-19-2012, 02:29 AM
I really hope that the Syfy channel puts a lot of time and money into this show. Let's face it, they have been the death of good tv shows in the past.
Why they spend so much time making those crap tv movies is anyone's guess.
So come on guys and dolls at Syfy, make this happen and give it a chance.

Jenbuu
10-19-2012, 02:51 AM
I think this one will go forwards
Defiance has been 4 years in the making so i dont think that they will let this one go

Scubasam
10-19-2012, 12:28 PM
They have alredy invested sooo much and hopefully with the game there to help with any financial problems the show will last for many years! I am looking so forward to it cant wait till April.

vampero
10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I really hope that the Syfy channel puts a lot of time and money into this show. Let's face it, they have been the death of good tv shows in the past.
So come on guys and dolls at Syfy, make this happen and give it a chance.

I would not worry to much about it that because Trion know's how to make a MMO. They have one of the best MMO engines out there running Rift. I think there will be many Sci-Fi fans out there that will love the show too..:cool:

phost
10-19-2012, 10:36 PM
I sooooo agree with the death of too many Sci Fi series and stupid movies, so ... Where do they go from here? If they really spent 4 years on this before it shows, it seems that Sy Fy cannot figure out how to keep a show going 4 years into one! Does that mean it cancels before it starts, like "blood and chrome", sorry webisodes are NOT enough! They have gotten WH 13, Alphas and Haven right, so is this one right? Remains to be seen!

vampero
10-20-2012, 12:40 AM
I sooooo agree with the death of too many Sci Fi series and stupid movies, so ... Where do they go from here? If they really spent 4 years on this before it shows, it seems that Sy Fy cannot figure out how to keep a show going 4 years into one! Does that mean it cancels before it starts, like "blood and chrome", sorry webisodes are NOT enough! They have gotten WH 13, Alphas and Haven right, so is this one right? Remains to be seen!

TV shows are like games they are made year or more ahead before they release them. I think Trion and SyFy know what they need to do to get it done right. Be thankful That EA/BIOWARE does not have it's hands in this MMO....j/k We know what did not happen with SWTOR.

Trion is not afraid to publicly beta test the games they make. I beta tested Rift and it was not hard to get in the beta at all. They want Defiance to be badass ! I say worry about things after you get into beta.

Anzer
10-20-2012, 05:22 PM
So come on guys and dolls at Syfy, make this happen and give it a chance.Would you care to elaborate on which TV shows Syfy has been the death of? I assume by saying the network is the death of a show, that would mean the show started on a different network and was picked up by Syfy only to be killed off.

Also, the 'crap tv movies' aren't funded by Syfy, they're low budget production company movies that Syfy picks up the rights to broadcast. So yeah, the network isn't making those movies, only broadcasting them (aside from the obvious Stargate movies and such that are based off of their shows).

Darktide
10-22-2012, 04:30 AM
I stand corrected.

Dagger Nightbreaker
10-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Battlestar Galactica, that's all I have to say. With a good budget they can do it.

Keltic_Ladd
10-29-2012, 03:43 PM
I rarely watch SyFy anymore. Was one of my favorite networks when it came out, but now, no so much. They play more horror and thriller type stuff and very little Science Fiction / Fantasy. Hopefully this new series with move them back towards their original programming format.

ReefShark
10-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Fingers crossed...

T2FG
10-31-2012, 08:15 PM
I hope this works out too.

Shadinaxx
11-01-2012, 03:48 PM
I rarely watch SyFy anymore. Was one of my favorite networks when it came out, but now, no so much. They play more horror and thriller type stuff and very little Science Fiction / Fantasy. Hopefully this new series with move them back towards their original programming format.

Mostly, because the pickings are slim in the sci-fy/fantasy market. Not many shows have the depth that keeps an audience watching unless it has thrilling elements. Sadly that the faullt of the majority of our own population.

Terra Nova was good, but alas, had a fairly short life, the story got a bit slow and dull, but picked up speed towards the end of the first season.
Warehouse 13 is well, a slightly differant version of sci-fy/fantasy, it's more of a sci-fy/mystery, but still good.
Heroes was good, but dont recall off hand if SyFy produced this series, and catered more towards fantasy than sci-fy.
Battlestar Galactica is excellent. 'Nuff said.
Firefly... wish there was more to it, rather than Serenity capping it where it was at. More like it pl0x.

I could go on, but so far, from the trailers, teasers and spoilers I have been able to see, Defiance is on track to make it big, and turn some heads doing so. Hopefully, our fellow population that craves blood and gore without any real plot or story, can be captivated by some real sci-fy/fantasy and drama that Defiance is headed towards.

Lateris
11-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I am hoping for at least a good 7 years.

GamerKnight
11-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Dam i wish they would bring back Firefly

JellyBean
11-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Dam i wish they would bring back Firefly

LMAO agreed!

Vega
11-04-2012, 08:57 PM
          

Darktide
11-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Hi Vega, not to go of subject but nice to see a fellow V fan.

JellyBean
11-07-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm very hopeful for this concept to work on Syfy. Its a very unique venture mixing two mediums together. The show and game together are going to create a new experience for the audience. Its about time someone has done a project this big.

It was really looking like halo could have possibly done something huge with Peter Jackson on board to direct the movie and from that so much spin off material would have made it to be in some kind of interaction with the game. For this idea to work you need a completly new universe like defiance. Or aggame with a super strong following.

Rowan
11-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm not worried about Trion's side of it. But NBC/Syfy scares me a bit. I hope that they can get past their idea that TV show success can only be measured in how many people tune in via cable or otherwise.. They have killed a lot of good shows based on the lack of people watching their channel but fail to really acknowledge/or treat the success they have online with places like Amazon. If they cannot do that, my faith in Defiance as a TV show is minimal simply because I anticipate most of Defiance's players are most likely to watch the show on the computer and not through their cable or dish provider.

NBC is also an investor in Trion - not just Defiance, if I remember correctly. So I hope if the show doesn't do as well as anticipated that they will continue to support the game.

Vega
11-09-2012, 07:47 PM
          

Kalbuir
11-12-2012, 12:39 AM
When the forums opened up I shared much of the skepticism about syfy and the tv series while confident about the game. Since then I have come around quite a bit to optimism why?

- During comiccon panel it was said that the people, money, dedication involved is much the same as battlestar now keep.in mind that they can do a lot more with a new universe than an existing one.
- At this stage syfy's commitment it unquestioned, if you look at the.overhead of having tv and game synced then they wouldnt show this much support in the development process.
- the game is developed in such a way that it does not stand or fall with the TV show. And TRION has the ability to do that: deliver a great and fun game even if the series only runs one season.

Look at it this way, worst case the tv series doesnt get the ratings it needs, the game still gets.more tv coverage and advertisement than any other game!

JellyBean
11-12-2012, 01:32 AM
I think scifi has got a good number of shows going for it. Fringe has been really successful just to name a few. Also them airing the only season of Firefly is a good example of their appreciation of good story telling, and their dedication to the genre they are named after. Its possibly the perfect network with the right people and right fanbase to work on Defiance.

Shadinaxx
11-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if the firefly marathon aired yesterday, was an appetizer to get people watching SyFy so they could get some interest in Defiance (I didnt count how many commercials for defiance I saw, but I know I saw a few).

JellyBean
11-13-2012, 10:21 AM
we will probably see ads ramp up on scifis sister networks as well closer to date