PDA

View Full Version : Shadow War View Distance

Disarmonia
04-11-2013, 02:39 AM
A head note, I think this belongs in the general PC section and not the pvp section because I doubt consoles will get a larger draw distance so there's really no need to go post in a section that affects all three platforms.

As to my issue I finally got into my first shadow war today (finally..) and really enjoyed it. I'am sure there's all sorts of problems that will make there way into this thread because I find shadow war enjoyable but get your own thread for that crap. However I noticed something that was a little disappointing and I could even go so far as to say game breaking was the distance you could view enemies at it is way to short for the magnitude of shadow wars.

I don't have exact numbers but for arguments sake let's say you can't see people after roughly 100-150 meters they just completely vanish. In the game world this is relativity short and to be blunt unacceptable for a computer game in my opinion. Not only is it degrading to people that chose to play the PC version of defiance over dreaded consoles expecting better optimization but its game breaking in the sense that people can move in and out of view distance to kill people (I witnessed snipers doing this Alot during my 5 consecutive games).

Why is it that PC users with superior hardware have such a badly implemented view distance system that potentially takes away the ability to do things like play tactically in the sense that you can't see wear the enemy is coming from you cant see that sniper sitting on that tree just outside of your view distance. To me this ruins the entire point competitive PvP.

The PC version of Defiance really needs to increase the view distance there really is no logical or reasonable point not to. The only thing i can think of is that they didn't want the battles of over a certain distance to effect performance.

Everything I said here is my own opinion while you do not have to agree with any of it I would appreciate if we could keep the troll comments to a minimum and be a little constructive with any feedback negative or positive.

Anim
04-11-2013, 02:42 AM
It shocked me how close the draw distance cut off is too, its one of the many reasons I didnt go back to it. Every time I went to line up a shot on someone on a quadbike they'd be out of draw distance within a second or so. I even took a screenshot one time due to the insanity, small valley with hills either side of a road, no more than 100m between the hills and you couldnt see someone on the opposite face, why have a sniper rifle in the game? Or any kind of scope for that matter.

Lambchops
04-11-2013, 02:44 AM
I think this should be done for the PC version in general. Bare minimum add some sort of slider for it so people who can't handle it can keep it lower. Really there should be more gfx customization in general -- low, medium, high, bloom, shadows and motion blur is pretty unacceptable for a PC game options menu imo.

I think we all understand that things had to be done to make it console friendly, and that's fine, but at least throw PC players a bone because their machines aren't 7-8 years old.

Doowi
04-11-2013, 02:59 AM
Yeah I gave up with the Shadow Wars when I saw how bad the draw distance is and I snipe, which appears isn't really doable in Shadow Wars.

Amonkira
04-11-2013, 03:41 AM
A head note, I think this belongs in the general PC section and not the pvp section because I doubt consoles will get a larger draw distance so there's really no need to go post in a section that affects all three platforms.

As to my issue I finally got into my first shadow war today (finally..) and really enjoyed it. I'am sure there's all sorts of problems that will make there way into this thread because I find shadow war enjoyable but get your own thread for that crap. However I noticed something that was a little disappointing and I could even go so far as to say game breaking was the distance you could view enemies at it is way to short for the magnitude of shadow wars.

I don't have exact numbers but for arguments sake let's say you can't see people after roughly 100-150 meters they just completely vanish. In the game world this is relativity short and to be blunt unacceptable for a computer game in my opinion. Not only is it degrading to people that chose to play the PC version of defiance over dreaded consoles expecting better optimization but its game breaking in the sense that people can move in and out of view distance to kill people (I witnessed snipers doing this Alot during my 5 consecutive games).

Why is it that PC users with superior hardware have such a badly implemented view distance system that potentially takes away the ability to do things like play tactically in the sense that you can't see wear the enemy is coming from you cant see that sniper sitting on that tree just outside of your view distance. To me this ruins the entire point competitive PvP.

The PC version of Defiance really needs to increase the view distance there really is no logical or reasonable point not to. The only thing i can think of is that they didn't want the battles of over a certain distance to effect performance.

Everything I said here is my own opinion while you do not have to agree with any of it I would appreciate if we could keep the troll comments to a minimum and be a little constructive with any feedback negative or positive.

Wow... Im actually happy to see that Im not the only one complaining about this issue... :) Its pissing me off that the draw distance is so...bad.. And yes, Im a sniper too. Which makes me yell out a battlecry each time I get a headshot on a "invisible" person (due to draw distance - I just aim for the red name and just below it)

Aviarais
04-11-2013, 06:33 AM
One major issue is having that many people load onto a Console, Xbox 360 is about the same capacity as a 2005 computer if you havent illegaly hacked it and back then even servers couldnt handle that many people in the same area, I remember a Crash of Anetheron on WoW for 4 hours because the horde grouped up in westfall and tried to raid SW, But with 2 raid groups *About 200 people* The server for Eastern Kingdoms Droped.

dirtyklingon
04-11-2013, 06:35 AM
tbh draw distance was a major complaint in ps2 as well, and it's pc only.

ofc then again we're talking about a game that might have 400 players in teh same area at the same time, but still...

Arsenic_Touch
04-11-2013, 06:38 AM
The draw distance and culling reeks of guild wars 2 www, world events and regular questing.

Amonkira
04-11-2013, 06:58 AM
One major issue is having that many people load onto a Console, Xbox 360 is about the same capacity as a 2005 computer if you havent illegaly hacked it and back then even servers couldnt handle that many people in the same area, I remember a Crash of Anetheron on WoW for 4 hours because the horde grouped up in westfall and tried to raid SW, But with 2 raid groups *About 200 people* The server for Eastern Kingdoms Droped.

You do of course realize that this was aimed at the PC community? ;)

Sceles
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I must agree, I just googled about this and found this thread. The drawing distance is way too low and it's not only about disappearing enemies but also fog, which starts ~30m away. I'm not sure if this is part of shadow war or just area specific, but it's annoying as hell. I'm playing on 50" TV and watching it from under 2m away but it's still damn hard to see anything. Snipers and guided rockets are useless because of this.

The draw distance and culling reeks of guild wars 2 www, world events and regular questing.
Culling was removed from GW2 like ages ago. If you are still having issues, it's only because your computer can't handle it.

tbh draw distance was a major complaint in ps2 as well, and it's pc only.

ofc then again we're talking about a game that might have 400 players in teh same area at the same time, but still...
Most of those complaints are from aircraft users who can't see AA maxes other infantry unless they go really close, which is completely intentional, because otherwise they would just farm them with rocket pods. PS2 has propably the best drawing distance there is in any game.

Arsenic_Touch
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Culling was removed from GW2 like ages ago. If you are still having issues, it's only because your computer can't handle it.

Thank you captain obvious it couldn't be that I was talking about the previous problems, right? And less than a month is not "ages ago"

Diehard
04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
totally agree, view distance is ridiculously short. now, if only the dev team actually read these posts...

Disarmonia
04-11-2013, 04:40 PM
totally agree, view distance is ridiculously short. now, if only the dev team actually read these posts...

Well I hope they do decide to read it because if its not addressed then my excitement for shadow wars has been stolen away. And I'm sure there's other PC users out there that will feel the same way.

Disarmonia
04-17-2013, 04:08 PM
I really do hate bumping things but I'd really like this looked into so what the hell.

darknessjw
04-17-2013, 07:35 PM
I agree fully with you.
I tried Shadow Wars, saw "bullets" coming out of nowhere. Then i shot that place with sniper, i got kill. This happened many times.

Draw distance is too low for characters. It shows bullets/particles on much higher distances

Aecus Vynn
04-24-2013, 12:59 PM
You do of course realize that this was aimed at the PC community? ;)

You do of course realize that despite the discussion being centered around the PC community, and while I do agree that PC deserves more graphic customization to optimize their capabilities, the issue still exists among console users? If I can see AND snipe someone at over 600m on Battlefield 3 on the Xbox, I should be able to do the same damn thing in Shadow Wars on Defiance. :|

Granted, this is posted in the PC section. I'd say draw distance is still an issue to be fixed upon all systems. But I do agree that graphics customization needs to be increased for PC versions.

Shebuka
04-28-2013, 04:40 PM
This also piss me off!!! Actually you can see the name of enemy far before it will be drawn!

Nithryok
04-28-2013, 04:50 PM
I agree this needs to be fixed as well. What I have noticed sniping in shadow wars is, if a enemy player goes out of site, your crosshairs still turn read if they are on them and you can still hit them.... you are just shooting at a invis target

Tyger
04-29-2013, 07:06 AM
not sure why they have to implement the '150' curtain like it is now. They could easily have a setting incode that drops the items detail a certian degree every 50M till about 400M ingame has been reached. Giving players the choice to go distance should not be taken away when the SW starts up. Battle fog is meh. I could take it r leave it, but losing draw distance after 150-ish M.... C'mon man. Dafuq?!

Gastrophet
05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Let me also add my hurumph. What is the point of having a sniper rifle at all if they are going to limit the draw distance so wretchedly? This must be sorted out. Dev Team, fix it plz, or your going to lose a lot of credibility as a shooter. Just you watch.

fatoldguy
05-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Let me also add my hurumph. What is the point of having a sniper rifle at all if they are going to limit the draw distance so wretchedly? This must be sorted out. Dev Team, fix it plz, or your going to lose a lot of credibility as a shooter. Just you watch.

They have credibility now?

Opetyr
05-02-2013, 03:57 AM
Sadly they didn't have the time to be fully creditable since it seems issues like this are not being fixed for many people in a timely fashion.

grog189
05-02-2013, 07:34 AM
I also quit playing shadow war due to the draw distance. Half the time someone can even come a good way past the draw distance mark on an 4 wheeler and not show up till later because od how fast they are going the game lags behind. Really no point at all to play a sniper except for the fun factor which isnt much. They probably need to up the static damage on snipers too and maybe just lower the crit a little to compensate for it. Since the only real way to kill anything is to headshot it.

Nattehauk
06-02-2013, 12:23 PM
So glad to see a post about this. Sniper is my favorite type of playstyle and I can't see anything beyond 100 meters in my scope... It's royally pissing me off that a game as new as this one is this bad on scope distance. I mean, I've been playing games like this since 1992 and even back then you were able to see enemies up to 1 kilometer away. Maybe you should steal some employees from Novalogic ?!

barium
06-02-2013, 10:00 PM
the only thing i have left in shadow wars pursuits is destroy 50 vehicles but with the draw distance being a joke that it is the only time i see vehicles is pretty much when they run me over or have just gotten off of it making this pursuit absolutely impossible. i tried derailer sniper for it and was really close to our point(C think it was) and i didnt see anyone but somehow the other team captured it so i tried guided missle launcher hoping i would have better chance but no luck. i give up so im done with shadow wars. no use trying to accomplish the impossible.

btw to anyone wondering why i didnt shoot back last 2 games i played. GET ON YOUR DAMN VEHICLE lol im not shootong at anything but a vehicle so go ahead and take the free kill. btw i also noticed blowing up their vehicle after they get off it dont count. i tried that a few times out of desparation to find a way to finish this pursuit while they took their free kill on me

Jack Barr
06-30-2013, 11:21 PM
+1
I agree this problem needs to be addressed

DarknessEyes PT
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
The view distances is good lATM and any changes should ruin the game.
Higher view ranges will mean even more loading delays...
Even if they allow each player to chose their own view distance that shouldn't be fair for people that runs the game on minimal settings.

In real life:
1) The world highscore is 1.8km with a sniper rifle.
2) A shotgun can shoot at arround 0.2km.
The map have what? 4km wide?

Nephilis
11-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Is this thread still going on? I'd like to give my support. I started playing Defiance yesterday, noticed there were bolt action sniper rifles, so I went "Yeeeaaaah!", because I love sniping in games... but to my disappointment, I find that a relatively close target for sniping becomes invisible due to a really bad draw distance. Me staying in this game will pretty much depend on this, because it's just dumb.

If consoles are an excuse for this, let me say this is another example of why consoles are ruining videogames then.

Bane_Of_Legends
11-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Is this thread still going on? I'd like to give my support. I started playing Defiance yesterday, noticed there were bolt action sniper rifles, so I went "Yeeeaaaah!", because I love sniping in games... but to my disappointment, I find that a relatively close target for sniping becomes invisible due to a really bad draw distance. Me staying in this game will pretty much depend on this, because it's just dumb.

If consoles are an excuse for this, let me say this is another example of why consoles are ruining videogames then.

Necro'd thread, yay! K, so yeah draw distance cuts off after like 100 meters. This is obviously easy to fix for PC because.. Better tech. Yeah. I'm a Playstation gamer and I'm willing to admit PC's have better tech.

#NoHate

Doesn't matter what you're playin on as long as you're playin. A gamer is a gamer bro.

I feel like Shadow Wars should be instanced (if that's the correct terminology). So, take the area of land that the Shadow War is in, and cut it off from everything else. Arkfalls, sieges, none of that should be visible from Shadow Wars. Don't even let other players that aren't in the Shadow War be visible. Iv'e heard them stories about players getting friends to goto them and throw grenades/shoot detonators to distract their enemies. Not cool yo. On the opposite side of the Shadow War barrier, don't let anyone outside the Shadow War see what is going on inside. Also heard stories about players outside of Shadow Wars walking up behind players inside Shadow Wars, joining the Shadow War in the same spot, and getting an instant free kill. The instancing itself should fix the issue of having too much on screen at a time, that would then improve frame rates which would then allow for a greater draw distance (if I'm getting all this right). There is the fix for PS3 and XBOX. :D Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Elastik Spastik
11-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I agree the distance is waaaaaaaay too short. How am I supposed to cover my teammates from my nest when thay are storming a place when I cant even see the enemy? Its ridiculous that I cant even do that.

Shogo_Yahagi
11-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Mag is 3 years old and it had great draw distances with twice as many players per battle as Defiance has in a whole shard. Consoles say "not it". Blame the devs.

Sword
11-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Wrong post

crasher
11-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Mag is 3 years old and it had great draw distances with twice as many players per battle as Defiance has in a whole shard. Consoles say "not it". Blame the devs.
They already went to General Steve to easy the server load and info stream.
If they have to reduce us all to nekkid pixelpoints to increase the draw distance, I'm outta here.

Given the General Steve result, I'd say the old Cold War surplus East German servers they're running the game on just can't hack the draw distance.