PDA

View Full Version : SimCity Launch Should Be A Lesson...

PurePlayinSerb
03-06-2013, 06:47 PM
i just bought this game, and can't even play it cause it requires to be online on their servers, and their servers can't handle all the people trying to play, therefor i think the defiance beta for consoles should be an open beta, cause what kind of stress test is the few people that pre ordered, sure i pre ordered it to get the beta, but i don't care if everyone else gets the beta, if it means defiance will work on day 1, instead of not be playable for a week

iiReLaX o
03-06-2013, 06:51 PM
i just bought this game, and can't even play it cause it requires to be online on their servers, and their servers can't handle all the people trying to play, therefor i think the defiance beta for consoles should be an open beta, cause what kind of stress test is the few people that pre ordered, sure i pre ordered it to get the beta, but i don't care if everyone else gets the beta, if it means defiance will work on day 1, instead of not be playable for a week

Well it's a closed beta. Plenty of people have pre-ordered or received beta codes through other means, to partake in the last beta event. (Which is more than likely a stress test) I've also heard during a livestream, but don't quote me, that they have plenty of extra servers waiting to be "turned on" to handle the population.

code 117
03-06-2013, 07:07 PM
They may go the same way a few companies have by having a closed beta over the weekend then opening it up for everyone for a few days after that. This way they can test the initial stress and if all goes well open it up and see what happens. Although their biggest obsticle is microsoft and sony, they need permission first to just throw it onto the marketplace/store.

Shadow2400
03-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Well it's a closed beta, so deal with it. Plenty of people have pre-ordered or received beta codes through other means, to partake in the last beta event. (Which is more than likely a stress test) I've also heard, but don't quote me, that they have plenty of extra servers waiting to be "turned on" to handle the population.

I don't know. Lots of betas can crash. Like the Halo Reach beta. The servers were so stressed they snapped. I think this magnitude would be beneficial to Defiance as it is a constantly online game.

Defy
03-06-2013, 07:30 PM
hmm well remember Trion is experienced with MMOs they did Rift

though a Stress Test before launch might be good

Dead_Phoenix
03-07-2013, 01:17 AM
being a good MMO dev, im sure they are aware of this

Pasha
03-07-2013, 06:02 AM

Are you joking? Let us teach greatest MMO developer (except, maybe, SOE) how to make games!

p.s. thanks for your sig!

Tzar of kaos
03-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Remember Diablo III,Skyrim,...ect...Everything can happen.Even an arkfall...

PurePlayinSerb
03-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Are you joking? Let us teach greatest MMO developer (except, maybe, SOE) how to make games!

p.s. thanks for your sig!

EA published SimCity and everyone knows EA sucks at a lot of things, but one thing everyone used to agree on was that their servers were top notch... until now, so i think there is reason to be cautous, or you can be like me and many others playing simcity right now, and not being able to play defiance when it comes out, cause the servers weren't ready for all the traffic

Kalyastraxia
03-07-2013, 06:18 AM

Hmm.

I remember the launch of RIFT.

But that was a lot better than some launches I have witnessed.

Just remember, no matter how big the Beta testing is, it will always be tiny compared to the huge numbers wanting to max level on the first "official" launch day.

The trick is to get the balance right between spending all your resources to please everyone in the first few days who will then likely naturally disappear with the next "shiny" comes along, and providing long term commitment of resources to the "real" players.

As I said, RIFT did have a few problems but TRION managed it very well, especially compared to some other MMORPGs (at least IMHO).

Opertum
03-07-2013, 06:24 AM
People who've played an mmog at launch know it's probably going to be unable at launch. They always are. The issue with SimCity is that the target audience isn't used to that fact so things blew up. Any game that requires constant connection to a server will have turbulence at launch.

Dead_Phoenix
03-07-2013, 06:43 AM
i need to start noting down the times iv said this:

an mmo should not be judged by its launch, but by how the devs deal with it after...

rathb18
03-07-2013, 06:43 AM
For your simcity issue just wait a few days and download a crack which bypasses the DRM garbage these dev's love putting in there games anymore. But remember when you play you wont get any of the online features which I doubt will be a huge problem.

Defy
03-07-2013, 06:48 AM
well like I said Trion is experienced with MMOs so should be fine

PurePlayinSerb
03-07-2013, 06:58 AM
For your simcity issue just wait a few days and download a crack which bypasses the DRM garbage these dev's love putting in there games anymore. But remember when you play you wont get any of the online features which I doubt will be a huge problem.

i bought the game for a reason, and i think its gonna take a while to crack this, if they even can crack it, there is no offline mode in the game

OcelotKharn
03-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Shouldnt this have been in the off topic section

rathb18
03-07-2013, 07:07 AM
i bought the game for a reason, and i think its gonna take a while to crack this, if they even can crack it, there is no offline mode in the game

ALI123 said they will have it cracked by the end of the week there just working out a few bugs with it which is good because I have been wanting to play my copy I preorderd but without having to deal with some stupid server garbage since I play alot on my win8 tablet on the road when im not at home on my gaming PC.

PurePlayinSerb
03-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Shouldnt this have been in the off topic section

read the first page, it has very much to do with defiance

GT3000
03-07-2013, 08:31 AM
RIFT had a really smooth launch. I don't suspect there'll be too much of an issue.

Bar6arian
03-07-2013, 09:21 AM
This isn't Trion's first rodeo. If there are any issues I'd think it would be with Microsoft or Sony. EA is terrible and more than likely will have the SIMs server shut down.

Cyrox
03-07-2013, 09:26 AM
i need to start noting down the times iv said this:

an mmo should not be judged by its launch, but by how the devs deal with it after...

Agree, i have never seen a flawless launch in mmo

kirix
03-07-2013, 10:06 AM
dont forget 1 massive thing.

trion worlds made and run rift very very well.
they are very experianced in MMO server stability so i would not worry as it will be there second mmo and rift has an expansion to. :D.

and yes mmos will have server issues on day 1 due to the entire games player base trying to log in at once it just floods the servers, so expect a bit of lag and some server downtime the first day of launch
look at wow. when TBC went live oo epic server issues.
guild wars 2 had issues due to very high player volumes and took them ages to get the tradeing post working.

PC players who are mmo vets fully expect for server issues at launch always have and always will be. as long as they act fast and keep people informed it will do nicely later on.

normally the first week of an mmo is getting a rough idea for player base and this settles down after first month and peek times and low times get formed.

Archangel
03-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Well anyone playing on the PC version come release will find me online 24/7 for 6 days straight.

So if you see me afk in a corner somewhere. Shoot me or throw a grenade at me to wake me up.... I need more EGO!

Let go my Ego!
Lego My Ego (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBtrhPe0qto)