PDA

View Full Version : MMo Veteran Asks: Should i buy this game?

Epictankz
04-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Hello Everyone,
I have been following this game for a bit now and eagerly await the TV show, hoping it goes well.
My question to the Community is should i purchase this game? I am not sure if it is something i will want to play long term.

About Me I am a MMO Veteran, i started back in 1999 with Everquest 1. Since then ive played almost every major MMO title that has come along. Mostly sticking with EQ1 -> EQ2 -> WoW.
The aspects of MMOs that I care about and the main reason i play so much is End Game content, mainly PvE raiding. (I have yet to PvP heavily in MMo's)

So that being said i have not seen very much in the way of explaining what the end game is like for Defiance? From what i read it looks to be mainly PvP focused, and instance based?
Which i dont mind since there is no Sub for this game. However im curious as to how the game feels when playing it, does it feel like a Console port to PC? (Like Halo for PC did) Or does it feel solid and smooth? Also i the PvP competitive and fun, or the persons massing the most game time to get most XP always going to win?

From what ive read/seen so far there looks to be no real nope for a PvE raid end game. Is there anything that states otherwise that ive missed?

Thanks alot of taking the time to read this and provide feedback.
Also please check me out online @ http://twitch.tv/epictankz - http://youtube.com/epictankz - http://welift.net

Taaltos
04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Hello Everyone,
I have been following this game for a bit now and eagerly await the TV show, hoping it goes well.
My question to the Community is should i purchase this game? I am not sure if it is something i will want to play long term.

About Me I am a MMO Veteran, i started back in 1999 with Everquest 1. Since then ive played almost every major MMO title that has come along. Mostly sticking with EQ1 -> EQ2 -> WoW.
The aspects of MMOs that I care about and the main reason i play so much is End Game content, mainly PvE raiding. (I have yet to PvP heavily in MMo's)

So that being said i have not seen very much in the way of explaining what the end game is like for Defiance? From what i read it looks to be mainly PvP focused, and instance based?
Which i dont mind since there is no Sub for this game. However im curious as to how the game feels when playing it, does it feel like a Console port to PC? (Like Halo for PC did) Or does it feel solid and smooth? Also i the PvP competitive and fun, or the persons massing the most game time to get most XP always going to win?

From what ive read/seen so far there looks to be no real nope for a PvE raid end game. Is there anything that states otherwise that ive missed?

Also please check me out online @ http://twitch.tv/epictankz - http://youtube.com/epictankz - http://welift.net

There's no monthly fee.

It's an awesome work in progress. They're putting the polish on it now.

If you aren't a locust gamer archetype you'll get your 60.00 worth.

I say yes.

I love this game!

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 07:49 AM
I've played WoW, EQ2, GW, AION and many shooters.

I like this game, there's tons to do. People fail to realize this isn't the traditional MMO and there WILL BE REGULAR CONTENT UPDATE. I don't even know how people are "done" with the current content with all the side-missions, instances, and PvP available. I haven't even gotten to the second isle (San Fran) yet because I've been hoarding all the side-missions (there are hundreds), instances (seems like you discover them as you go along the story, I have 2 unlocked and the queues are always instant) as well as enjoying the Competitive maps(8v8 TDM) and Shadow Wars (48v48 CTF).

Yes, this game is worth the buy.

Doowi
04-11-2013, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't call playing Everquest 1 as being an MMO Vet :P ... come back to me when you've taken part in the release of Ultima Online ;)

Eitherway I would recommend the game if you like an a mix of RIFT, Borderlands and APB:Reload. I've never played APB and still have yet to play Borderlands 1 & 2 (I own them both), but I'm having a blast with the game. Just make sure you get into a clan asap to get the most out of the game.

PortalNZ
04-11-2013, 07:54 AM
MMO Veteran here also:

- No end game
- PvP is probably the worst I've seen in a while. 6v6 TDM first to 25. Ends in 3 minutes.
- Pursuits (Achievements) Majority are bugged. E.g Get 1000 kills at an arkfall keeps resetting.
- Co-Op instances are OK. No rewards, no challenge. Just zerg through it
- The one thing I do like, is the grinding. I got to a high EGO rating and am now realising that getting the 5000 is going to be a grind without any new content. Looking forward to it.

Taaltos
04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
MMO Veteran here also:

- No end game
- PvP is probably the worst I've seen in a while. 6v6 TDM first to 25. Ends in 3 minutes.
- Pursuits (Achievements) Majority are bugged. E.g Get 1000 kills at an arkfall keeps resetting.
- The one thing I do like, is the grinding. I got to a high EGO rating and am now realising that getting the 5000 is going to be a grind without any new content. Looking forward to it.

I LOVE the Co-Op instances, especially...Island of Lost Soldiers.

That dude is NUTS!

PvP is actually quite fun imo. I get my *** handed to me, but I've been busy doing other things.

Shadow Wars are good fun too. Can't wait until they get the player load straightened out.

There's no end game atm, but there will be a type of end game once the DLC and Free DLC start rolling out.

Shima
04-11-2013, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't really come into it expecting it to be like any of the MMOs you've likely played.

To me it's more of a hybrid of a bunch of games: borderlands, mass effect, fallout 3 being the main that come to mind

There's plenty of threads of MMO vets complaining about the difficulty of some of the fights in the game - make no mistake this is a third person shooter, not a hotkey clicking/pushing MMO.

All that being said - I love this game.

Anim
04-11-2013, 07:57 AM
MMO Veteran here also:

- No end game

This reply is closest, from a competitive fps and mmo player there is very little to do. If you enjoy challenging content with long term objectives for you and clan mates to do then this is not for you.

The co-op instances are ok, but really emphasise the 'no challenge', its mind numbingly easy.

The grind to 5000 is going to be putting a nodding bird thingy to press your mouse1 and shoot the same place over and over, no challenge just monotonous grind.

Mahemium
04-11-2013, 08:01 AM
It's just a breathe of fresh air, as flawed as it is.

Doowi
04-11-2013, 08:02 AM
- No end game
The game has only been out FOR 9 GOD DAMN DAYS!! But I'm sure the next game is release will have 8 years worth of content that WoW already has and many always refer too.

I guess you never played Call of Duty or any other FPS TDM on small maps, but people will always find something to whine about.

This only resets if you teleport or change phase to someone. This has been known for a while if you took the time to search the forums ;)

The "rewards" are random and normally drop from the mini boss along the way. They are far more enjoyable with clan mates, but if you play solo, then of course it will be boring.

Not really, check this: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?29905-Level-5000-explained

Rhorge
04-11-2013, 08:04 AM
With all the incoming content, there is no need for endgame yet. The MMO aspects of it are (so far) rather weak, but the gameplay is very fun.

EmptyOwl
04-11-2013, 08:04 AM
This has a lot of potential but going by how the game has been released and the patch notes are looking I think it is a long way from being an mmorpg in any way. It is a shooter in a persistent world where you occasionally see another person drive by or help you with a mission. There is zero interaction or tools to interact.

That said, if they develop the mmorpg aspects this could be a great sandbox game. The world is pretty, well made, and the shooter aspects are fun. Crafting, social hubs, CHAT, /tells, housing.....all missing. How cool would upgrading your cars/ATVs with better tires, engines, weapons, suspension, etc be? Making gun mods? If the game survives it'll get there...but for now...unless you enjoy driving around shooting things...no.

PVE raids are the Arkfalls which are chaotic and don't require much skill. They need to look at other games like Firefall, Global Agenda, ME3, TERRA, etc and steal some new ideas for raids/world events/bosses....again I think they will get there, just not there yet.

I cannot speak to the PVP, hope all this helps!

KodiakX
04-11-2013, 08:06 AM
As a MMO Veteran myself allow me to elaborate on Defiance:

The core of the game advancement is the Story Line which takes you from area to area. As you complete each leg, it unlocks additional side missions. You can do these side missions or let them sit while you continue the main story line. There are also events that spawn randomly in the world that can be done. For example there may be a road block on the road that can be cleared for XP/Cash/Frags. There are also area events that are statically placed and can be repeated for XP/Cash as well and generally are part of a mission.

The game has flat progression and generally an Ego Rank 50 character could perform relatively as good as an Ego 1000 ranked character. The only difference that the two will notably see is the number of Ego Skills the Ego 1000 character can have. Generally these are helpful but rarely are they game changing. While new combinations of gear unlocks as you level, in general the base stats remain the same (for example I just replaced my Respark Rengerator rank 600 yesterday with a 1478 but the stats were virtually identical other than a different damage resistance which is why I replaced it).

Once you've done most of the story content, the next bit is Pursuits. The Pursuits will help raise your Ego Rating so it's functional and not just like a pointless Achievement system. There are a limited number however and you will run out of pursuits you can actively do (as some are like kill 50000 things that will just happen over time). Pursuits will take you into places like the Co-Op maps (dungeons) and a variety of the other game content.

After that, basically you got Arkfalls. Major Arkfalls are the closest thing this game has to raids and they are massive and public. Also everyone gets loot now and you randomly gain 2 pieces of loot if you participate at the end. The quality seems to not matter on score as I've scored #1 and got two greens and just came up and tapped something twice and got two purples. The other rewards (XP, ark salvage, etc) are based on contribution.

PvP is pretty shoddy at best right now unless you like running around for cloaking and shot guns. Even after the nerfs next week it'll be the same only with Pump Actions instead of Sawn Offs.

That's pretty much the game. After you're done with the story/missions and pursuits it's pretty much just recycling the same Arkfalls and side events over and over. There's really no traditional end game and nothing to really strive for.

Jamesdanex
04-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Hello Everyone,

as an mmo veteran, dont come into this game expecting an mmo, its far from that. It's a good game however and if they fix the problems they currently face it will be well worth the money, plus free content updates and no monthly fees, not too bad for 60$

Rhorge
04-11-2013, 08:08 AM
I think it is a long way from being an mmorpg in any way.

This game was designed to be a shooter, most and foremost. MMO aspect comes after, but is not intended to be a legitimate RPG.

PortalNZ
04-11-2013, 08:10 AM
I LOVE the Co-Op instances, especially...Island of Lost Soldiers.

That dude is NUTS!

PvP is actually quite fun imo. I get my *** handed to me, but I've been busy doing other things.

Shadow Wars are good fun too. Can't wait until they get the player load straightened out.

There's no end game atm, but there will be a type of end game once the DLC and Free DLC start rolling out.

Sure the dude may be "NUTS!" but he wasn't a challenge.

PvP is not fun. I have the 15 hours played in multi-player pursuit and I've nearly done 1500 kills.
You may ask why I have such high play time. I enjoy a grind to be better than most.

Shadow Wars is so flawed. For starters there is a 50/50 chance you win. The winners are 100% random. You may have the higher points but you may still lose. You see other players in the world but you cannot shoot them because they are questing. You see mobs like hell-bugs in the world who interrupt PvP with knockbacks.

I've completed all content and sitting on EGO rating 1500 and can tell you that any new content released will be completed in a matter of days.

Fascion
04-11-2013, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't call playing Everquest 1 as being an MMO Vet :P ... come back to me when you've taken part in the release of Ultima Online ;)I'd say anything pre-WoW is plenty enough to earn the 'vet' title. Not to mention... UO and EQ were two completely different styles of game.

Re: OP

Based solely on your choice to call yourself an "MMO veteran" I would say skip it. While it might have many of the aspects necessary to be called an MMO, Defiance lacks greatly in all of the departments that the typical MMO-junkie cares about. Looking over your list of games, I would definitely call you a "typical MMO-junkie."

If this game has any staying power whatsoever, it comes in the form of PvP, which you have admitted to not being too interested in. The PVP isn't balanced at all right now, but it isn't balanced from a gear perspective, not a level perspective.

The DLCs might drastically change my opinion on the game, but I'll probably never know, because I'm not likely to buy them. I'm sorry, but for $60 I got three days worth of "content." I'm scared as hell to see what they plan on giving us for a mere $40.

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:12 AM
MMO Veteran here also:

- No end game

REGULARY. RELEASED. CONTENT. THAT FOLLOWS THE SHOW.
God some of you are ignorant as hell. IT'S NOT YOUR NORMAL MMO. Everyone's expecting this to be a third person WoW.

The rewards you get in this game are drops in the instances that everyone is allowed to pick-up and you loot scrip (in-world cash) and arkcodes that you use to purchase lockboxes, that give you gear. Yes, you don't get a big shiny box of loot at the end of every dungeon, there is more of a work-up to it.

Everyone can use every weapon, there isn't set what you can and can't do. Weapons are random in the lockboxes and they come in extreme variety

Voidfox
04-11-2013, 08:13 AM
I want co-op instances to have more incentive to repeat them.

Anim
04-11-2013, 08:15 AM
God some of you are ignorant as hell. IT'S NOT YOUR NORMAL MMO. Everyone's expecting this to be a third person WoW.

The rewards you get in this game are drops in the instances that everyone is allowed to pick-up and you loot scrip (in-world cash) and arkcodes that you use to purchase lockboxes, that give you gear. Yes, you don't get a big shiny box of loot at the end of every dungeon, there is more of a work-up to it.

Hahahah, you're in for such a shock. It's 2-3 episode missions every few weeks. That will not keep ANYONE entertained more than 40minutes.

Dinova
04-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Simple said, if that is your 'drive' behind your MMO gameplay, this game aint something for you, for at least not now. (i cant see future).

Specialy if you go on WoW for the DPS-charts, the 358-361 gear upgrades and whatnot, there is nothing like that in this game.

See this game like the basics of APB (no gear progressions, just perks), combat like Borderlands (you versus many, most cases), its far from what your casual MMORPG looks like.

Dantos

From what you said, take a pass on this. There is, currently, no form of raiding in the game, there are arkfalls, which are usually pretty massive in the amounts of people present, but its more a free for all, no co-ordination or any communication needed.

The only real group content are 4 man "dungeons", no real communication needed either, its shoot the things, and dont get shot by the other things for the most part. Nothing wrong with that, but doesnt appear to be what you are looking for.

I also assume you raid becuase you like getting new gear (treasure hunting), there is no gear curve in the game, gear you get near the beginning of the game can possible be very very good, and last to though your whole experience (not likely but possible)

ironhands
no crafting, no auction hall, no bank. chat's being worked on for the social aspects.

this isn't EQ, or WoW, it's a shooter before anything else.

content will be added regularly free of charge.

Reminds me a lot of red faction:Guerrilla.

worth the money, it's fun, and no mindless grinding like EQ :P

Jamesdanex
04-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Everyone can use every weapon, there isn't set what you can and can't do. Weapons are random in the lockboxes and they come in extreme variety

You seem mildly angry, calm yourself, while you may find replay value in the game as it currently stands, many do not. Only time will tell, but currently an "mmo veteran" would be disappointed if they came into this game expecting an mmo.

PortalNZ
04-11-2013, 08:18 AM
[B]

Not really, check this: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?29905-Level-5000-explained

13 weapon types
19 level-ups each (1-20)
4 EGO per levelup
= 76 ego per guntype X 13 weapon types

I'm sorry but which part of this isn't a grind? (Not complaining)

Majority of the pursuits I've worked on, the only ones I haven't done are either bugged, impossible (no freight yard), or unobtainable get 25 kills in observatory in one round when the kill limit is 50.

Also how do you expect me to do a co-op mission in a clan, when talking in game is close to impossible with this chat system.

http://i.imgur.com/uqOiB47.jpg

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:19 AM
... The DLC won't just include the "2-3 episode missions every few weeks" Their going to be adding in more of the world to explore.

Jamesdanex
04-11-2013, 08:20 AM
... The DLC won't just include the "2-3 episode missions every few weeks" Their going to be adding in more of the world to explore.
Oh really, and would you mind linking your source to this information?

Rhorge
04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Hahahah, you're in for such a shock. It's 2-3 episode missions every few weeks. That will not keep ANYONE entertained more than 40minutes.

You do realise that Nolan will no longer be in the bay area? That means that for the game to be logical it will unlock new areas, which will most certainly bring new story missions too.

PortalNZ
04-11-2013, 08:23 AM

Oh is that how loot works?

http://i.imgur.com/vC9qC9X.jpg

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Lol. I've been on EQ2, WoW (early Vanilla), AION, and GW. I've been playing MMO's for over 10 years and I'm only 21. I'm pretty sure I'm considered an "MMO veteran" In-case you aren't aware, an MMO in order to be considered an MMO must be able to host an extremely large number of players in an openly consistent world. This is provided in DEFIANCE. Stop trying to act like you're something high and mighty because you've played other MMO's and this isn't the same.

Taaltos
04-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Uh. Can we not turn this gentleman's thread into a pissing contest?

Rhorge
04-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Uh. Can we not turn this gentleman's thread into a pissing contest?

Too late for that.

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:28 AM
http://mp1st.com/2013/04/09/defiance-to-get-five-pieces-of-dlc-this-year-patch-to-address-various-issue-to-arrive-april-15th/?utm_source

http://www.oxm.co.uk/51963/five-defiance-xbox-360-dlc-packs-to-release-this-year-mix-of-free-and-paid-content/

http://www.defiance.com/en/dlc/pc/?CAS_REDIR=true

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/08/day-6-improvements-improvements-improvements-niiiice-wtf/

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:29 AM
You do realise that Nolan will no longer be in the bay area? That means that for the game to be logical it will unlock new areas, which will most certainly bring new story missions too.

Thannkkk youuu.

He goes to Antartica FFS

Anim

You're partly right, they're going to be just down the road next to Mt Tam still. It's not a new zone though.

XtheManimal
For now this game is an MMO in grind and advancement only. Sure it's not as grindy as other MMOs but it's still there, just at a different level. The combat is highly enjoyable for me and fights can be pretty intense if running solo (which I do purposely to not just zerg rush mindlessly). I really really think that once the show starts, this game will turn into a proper mmoRPG. More story missions and lore will be revealed and I really can't wait! I'm excited for this game. It's already doing a couple of things right. No monster tagging, pay for the box/no sub, regular content releases... Yah, I think I'll be playing this for a good while.

Anim
04-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Thannkkk youuu.

He goes to Antartica FFS

Hah, this is the 'lifelong dream' of all arkhunters as they slowly make their money to be able to afford to fly there and live in peace. Did you even pay attention to the story? They certainly arent just going to magically be able to go to Antarctica next week.

Jamesdanex
04-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Hah, this is the 'lifelong dream' of all arkhunters as they slowly make their money to be able to afford to fly there and live in peace. Did you even pay attention to the story? They certainly arent just going to magically be able to go to Antarctica next week.

this kids clearly an idiot, he moves on to St. Louis where the tv show starts and takes place.

Dantos
04-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Thannkkk youuu.

He goes to Antartica FFS

No, he goes to St. Louis, thats where the show takes place.

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Do you REALLY think were not going to be seeing him again? in a new location. Stop being so damn ignorant. Whether it's in Antarctica or St. Louis, there will be new locations to venture and new things to do.

jveilleux31
04-11-2013, 08:34 AM
MMO Veteran here also:

- No end game

^^ this is how i look at it if you played and like the other mmos you listed then no don't waste your money now pick it up on steam sale in a month or two... they are not "polishing" they are fixing/finishing it the game is not ready for primetime.. though i do not believe it's trions fault totally it's the tv tie in that made them release the game when they HAD TO..

Rhorge
04-11-2013, 08:35 AM
No, he goes to St. Louis, thats where the show takes place.

Was going to reply but this gentleman beat me. Btw, this is also the reason why the current episode missions will be unavailable when new ones come out.

Dinova
04-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Lol. I've been on EQ2, WoW (early Vanilla), AION, and GW. I've been playing MMO's for over 10 years and I'm only 21. I'm pretty sure I'm considered an "MMO veteran" In-case you aren't aware, an MMO in order to be considered an MMO must be able to host an extremely large number of players in an openly consistent world. This is provided in DEFIANCE. Stop trying to act like you're something high and mighty because you've played other MMO's and this isn't the same.
Where did people say its not?

See, it is an MMO (by basics), but if your focus on MMO's is the huge interaction with other people, this game in its current stats lacks a few important supportive tools. Zonechat, whisper, easy friendlist, bla bla, things that are no core-feature of so called MMO, but it will make it alot easier for people to be part of it. You do see people and team with them in instances, but the social aspect is somewhat lacking atm.

Everyone has its own 'preferences' in a game, some like raiding/hardcore, others like the costumes and scenaries, others like crafting and trading, just that if a game doesnt support 1 of the aspects, doesnt make it a bad game. Its just a game not suited for you. (kinda reason why i never liked WoW, trinity and PVP).

Anim
04-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Everyone has its own 'preferences' in a game, some like raiding/hardcore, others like the costumes and scenaries, others like crafting and trading, just that if a game doesnt support 1 of the aspects, doesnt make it a bad game. Its just a game not suited for you. (kinda reason why i never liked WoW, trinity and PVP).

Which of those does this game support? :P

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:45 AM
I realize that there are broken aspects to the game, but it was released on 3 platforms. I'm assuming the time allotted they weren't able to completely reconfigure the PC aspect. Hopefully this will be resolved in the future.

Anim
04-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Was going to reply but this gentleman beat me. Btw, this is also the reason why the current episode missions will be unavailable when new ones come out.

Do you honestly expect them to move the episode missions to a new zone where supposedly a lot of the player base doesnt have access to? Then put a week time limit on those people to power themselves through the content to unlock the new zone and have a chance of doing the episode content before it's locked away again?

Please, use a little thought before you get any drool in your keyboard.

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Raiding - Arkfalls.
Costumes - Tons
Crafting - Weapon modding in a sense
PvP - Shadow Wars and Competitive maps

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:47 AM
It's B2P game, There's no sub fee. They have to their money some how. It's not like the season pass is expensive... It's like $40 for a whole year of DLC. There's supposed to be 5 DLCs just this year.

Anim, I believe it's you who needs to use a "little thought"

Anim
04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Raiding - Arkfalls. -Not even close, you can solo major arkfalls
Costumes - Tons -May aswell play sims?
Crafting - Weapon modding in a sense -Really clutching at straws here, you get the mods by pure luck as it is
PvP - Shadow Wars and Competitive maps -A broken game mode that rarely works and is very flawed, and a whole TWO tdm maps that last for 3minutes max

Keep these posts coming, you're only making yourself look less informed.

Rhorge
04-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Do you honestly expect them to move the episode missions to a new zone where supposedly a lot of the player base doesnt have access to? Then put a week time limit on those people to power themselves through the content to unlock the new zone and have a chance of doing the episode content before it's locked away again?

Please, use a little thought before you get any drool in your keyboard.

Well, the development team seem to think so. Or were they drooling on the keyboard too?

Anim
04-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Well, the development team seem to think so. Or were they drooling on the keyboard too?

They may get there eventually but not for a long time otherwise they cut out a large portion of their playerbase for their self proclaimed 'new mmo feature'. Give it 6-7 weeks and we might see SanFran.

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Keep these posts coming, you're only making yourself look less informed.

If you hate the game so much get the hell off the forum and go play something else. FFS man. All you're doing is talking garbage about every aspect of the game. I believe I already posted links about further releases and the team at TRION has been good at working on what they see us having problems with.

Yes, you can solo the arkfalls, but it's more engaging when there's damn near 100 people there.

Rhorge
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM
The current Episode missions in the game will be unavailable to play after the first episode airs. The idea is that the timeline of the show and game are in sync, so once the first episode airs it won't make sense for Nolan and Irisa to still be in the Bay Area :)
There is the quote.

Anim
04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Yes, you can solo the arkfalls, but it's more engaging when there's damn near 100 people there.

Multiplying the hitpoints by 100 is engaging? It's actually more fun solo because you have to avoid things trying to kill you, with 100 people you rarely even get hit once.

I love the game though, really Defiance was a lot of fun when playing through it and has/had a lot of potential to be something to spent months playing. Then 3 days later the content completely ran dry and we got bored.

Fascion
04-11-2013, 09:03 AM
It's B2P game, There's no sub fee. They have to their money some how. It's not like the season pass is expensive... It's like $40 for a whole year of DLC. There's supposed to be 5 DLCs just this year.

Anim, I believe it's you who needs to use a "little thought"My concern is... just how much content is the DLC going to provide? The amount given to us off of a $60 box was abysmal at best, and not even a fraction of what is necessary to keep the MMORPG crowd content. So why should I pay $40 for this new content?

More to the point, that $40 is a huge gamble in my eyes. You are betting that this game doesn't die off long before they can deliver all of this content, which seems like long odds to me, given that the lack of content already available.

Then again, I may not be the target audience for this DLC. I can't even remember the last time I played an MMO for a year (actually, I can... pre-PoP Everquest) and going over my list on Steam, I see that I only own DLC for about 4-5 games. I have serious reservations about paying for content that could so easily be included in the base game. I guess I'm more of a microtransaction guy myself, as I will gladly pay for convenience and timesavers... just don't rob me of content!

PortalNZ
04-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Multiplying the hitpoints by 100 is engaging? It's actually more fun solo because you have to avoid things trying to kill you, with 100 people you rarely even get hit once.

I love the game though, really Defiance was a lot of fun when playing through it and has/had a lot of potential to be something to spent months playing. Then 3 days later the content completely ran dry and we got bored.

Speaking truth +1

Rhorge
04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
My concern is... just how much content is the DLC going to provide? The amount given to us off of a $60 box was abysmal at best, and not even a fraction of what is necessary to keep the MMORPG crowd content. So why should I pay $40 for this new content?
The new "doing" content (areas and missions) will be free.

dirtyklingon
04-11-2013, 09:21 AM
it doesn't have the mudflated gear progression or raids of the eq/wow clone model, so there's a good chance you won't like it.

Epictankz
04-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Everyone,
Thanks for all of the nice replies, I love the internet and all of you.
From what ive read I think im going to go ahead and purchase the game.
I have played Rift so i know Trion can make a solid game.

I will be looking to get heavy into the PvP aspect of the game, as I love FPS games like CS/Quake etc.
Im going to be looking for a active semi serious Clan PvP clan to join.
Do any of you have a suggestion as to some that are located in US East?

Thanks again for your comments, and please besure to check me out online. I will be streaming live once i have the game.

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/3675/epictankzlivestream.png (http://twitch.tv/epictankz/old)

jveilleux31
04-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Everyone,
Thanks for all of the nice replies, I love the internet and all of you.
From what ive read I think im going to go ahead and purchase the game.
I have played Rift so i know Trion can make a solid game.

I will be looking to get heavy into the PvP aspect of the game, as I love FPS games like CS/Quake etc.
Im going to be looking for a active semi serious Clan PvP clan to join.
Do any of you have a suggestion as to some that are located in US East?

Thanks again for your comments, and please besure to check me out online. I will be streaming live once i have the game.

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/3675/epictankzlivestream.png (http://twitch.tv/epictankz/old)

cool see you in game however the "played rift so i know trion can make a solid game" comment is not a positive here this was an entirely different team who learned absolutely nothing about game development from rifts people.. it's like defiance was their freshman release and rift was the followup

hugdealer
04-11-2013, 09:48 AM
i've played just about any mmo you can name, for at least a little while.
but the ones i REALLY enjoyed were ultima online pre trammel, asherons call on darktide,
and shadowbane. i've played a lot of carebear no open world pvp games as well though.

this is more a third person shooter, that has mmo elements.
i was thinking last night defiance is to mmo's, as dead island is to rpgs.
they have some elements but it's not going to fit into one genre easily.

defiance feels more like a decent sized sandbox with missions.
like a sandbox lobby for the pvp, or instance fights.

having said all that, i've begun to enjoy playing more casual games lately.
defiance fits that bill for me. i don't really have a desire to pump 8-12 hour
days into a character that might have a chance fighting someone else months from then.

you can hop into pvp as a noob as still get kills.
as you level up, you get bonus' but it's not game breaking compared to lower ego lvls.

Saraya
04-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Hello Everyone,

If you're here to try something different or different from your usual run of games, then sure why not.
If you're here because you think it's a MMORPG with guns, then don't ..go play Fallen Earth.
If you are not a solo oriented player and have no friends to play with, don't expect to make some. Either bring them with you, or play a different game.

Here's the current status of the game :

-Live client is actually a two month old beta client full of numerous bugs, lacking content, features and miscellaneous.
-They are updating the curerent client with incremental patches, of soon some will be significantly large and the aim is to ultimately have rereleased the game in a proper retail form.
-The game is pay up front for the product, no monthly fee, however when new content(non expansion) arrives you will have to pay to unlock proper interaction with it. It's F2P model will be similar to LOTRO..

My advisement :

Wait several months. This isn't a game where 'falling behind' matters. In this case you ARE better off letting it mature first.

Oceanhawk
04-11-2013, 09:57 AM
- No end game
The game has only been out FOR 9 GOD DAMN DAYS!! But I'm sure the next game is release will have 8 years worth of content that WoW already has and many always refer too.

I guess you never played Call of Duty or any other FPS TDM on small maps, but people will always find something to whine about.

This only resets if you teleport or change phase to someone. This has been known for a while if you took the time to search the forums ;)

The "rewards" are random and normally drop from the mini boss along the way. They are far more enjoyable with clan mates, but if you play solo, then of course it will be boring.

LOL all of your counterpoints are simply opinions. The OP asked for advice and people are giving their opinions. Personally I agree with this guys assessment of the game. I believe you counterpoints are off base and shortsighted. This is supposed to be a MMO and any time an MMO has been released without end game content it has gotten lambasted. Why should this game be any different?

One of my issues is in using the MMO moniker to describe this game. Personally I don't think this quite makes to to MMO status. It is simply a single player game that is played online.

Yes I have had fun playing thru the main story line. But now that I hae finished that and almost all the side quests and the silly racing stuff, I find the game to be quite repetitive and really not that fun. I'm looking forward to additional content but based on how small the game is in it's current state I'm not expecting a whole lot of additional play in the coming months. But I am hoping i am wrong.

Oceanhawk
04-11-2013, 10:05 AM
i've played just about any mmo you can name, for at least a little while.
but the ones i REALLY enjoyed were ultima online pre trammel, asherons call on darktide,
and shadowbane. i've played a lot of carebear no open world pvp games as well though.

this is more a third person shooter, that has mmo elements.
i was thinking last night defiance is to mmo's, as dead island is to rpgs.
they have some elements but it's not going to fit into one genre easily.

defiance feels more like a decent sized sandbox with missions.
like a sandbox lobby for the pvp, or instance fights.

having said all that, i've begun to enjoy playing more casual games lately.
defiance fits that bill for me. i don't really have a desire to pump 8-12 hour
days into a character that might have a chance fighting someone else months from then.

you can hop into pvp as a noob as still get kills.
as you level up, you get bonus' but it's not game breaking compared to lower ego lvls.

I think I agree with each of your points. The fact that this is listed as an MMO is a little misleading given the current state of the game and the patch notes in this area lead me to believe it isn't slated to improve much.

For me character development is a big part of an MMO and this game is severely lacking in that department. The EGO matrix is strange to say the least and less than of an impactl overall. You can literally go from EGO 1 to EGO 1000 without spending a point in the matrix and you would hardly notice it. There really isn't much difference in a level 1 versus a level 1000.

Weapons are the Gear that you strive for in this game and frankly the progression here is really weird. EGo rating 1 guns have the same base stats as EGo rating 1000's. The difference are the procs and such. The problem is the procs don't really do much for you and the way mods work in their version of a crafting attempt, leave a lot to be desired.

So overall if you get the game and expect to play it for 2-30 hours you won't be disappointed. If you get it thinking you found a WoW, EQ, EQ2 replacement, well then you will be severely disappointed.

Xynnvincible
04-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I love the game. It gives you the advancement and goal setting and just enough ways to individualize your character (mods, weapons, ego) without requiring spreadsheets, tons of research, etc. The quests and dungeons are fast and very active. The mobs are smarter, which really keeps me involved in fights. It's basically an MMO with some of the grind/min-maxing/make-the-right-choice-or-reroll taken out and replaced with FUN

Epictankz
05-30-2013, 07:13 AM
So its been over a month.
What is everyone's thought now about the game?
How has it held up and what does its future look like?

I have been watching the TV show and I really like it. Glad its renewed for a second season.

I also quit WoW recently to focus on playing League of Legends.
Still thinking about picking up Defiance as a casual game to play.

CrazyBard
05-30-2013, 07:23 AM
I love the game. The world isn't as big as most/every other MMO, but I personally find there's more to do within the world. Exploring, missions, pursuits, coop, pvp, rampages, timetrials, etc. I personally don't find the grind so bad in this, as the combat is at least fun and isn't the tired old tab-targeting and auto-hit of a.n.other mmo.

It's worth trying out IMO, but you need to give it a good few hours, so you can appreciate all the various kinds of features and game play within it. I felt the game improved a lot once out of Mount Tam area.

Just don't play it expecting it to be an MMORPG or have that kind of progression - because it isn't and doesn't.

Anderson
05-30-2013, 07:40 AM

I have been watching the TV show and I really like it. Glad its renewed for a second season.

If you like the show and are just looking for a casual game, then you'll like this game.

Ryme
05-30-2013, 09:09 AM
@OP

Based on your body of experience and your stated areas of interest for MMOs. I would suggest you not buy this game in its current state.

That said, most of what you like seems to be a part of MMORPGs. This game is not a MMORPG. The simplest point for reference for this game would be Borderlands. Do you like Borderlands? If not, then don't bother. You will just end up another angry poster complaining about how you were mislead and cheated in a week or two.

Shismar
05-30-2013, 10:25 AM

We are still waiting on the great DLC content that some of the posters here promise will hugely extend the game. Other than that, some bugs fixed, new bugs introduced. TV story link in turned out to be a couple missions and some few achievements for now. Since they laid off am major part of the development team, I personally doubt that will pick up much.

So, it's still a fun shooter with a bit of story and some other players running around. Certainly good enough for a week or two of casual fun.