PDA

View Full Version : go and add your +1 for melee weaps

necrofobic
04-11-2013, 08:24 AM
thread located here, lets make an effort to get melee weapons in game, as we already have the req perks it would be a fast job to add them really

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?30759-How-about-melee-weapons

EmptyOwl
04-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I want Nim's blade! And his EGO powers! That guys is (was) crazy cool!

krissy
04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Don't think I would ever use a melee. I can hit with my gun. Why would I want to use up a slot that could be carrying a kick *** gun?

Stryfe
04-11-2013, 09:38 AM

Nope. No please. Apologies.

dirtyklingon
04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
while i wouldn't mind an item slot for mleee weapons like a knife that had a hot key to use instead of the rifle butt thing, as a full fledged weapon i don't feel it fits in this game.

there are plenty of fantasy fps's out there with melee like skyrim. no need to make this game a swords and sorcery game as well.

Saraya
04-11-2013, 09:46 AM
NO.

Because some idiot is going to complain that my ar does more damage than his sword. And I'm frikken tired of people thinking katana makes you a bad***.

They weren't popular when they were in use because they broke fairly easy.

Besides, I like my shooters to be gun based

This more or less sums it up.
Only one game does a decent job of balancing melee weapons and ranged weapons, which is Fallen Earth.
The Secret World completely fails in this regard, in that the ranged weapons have significantly reduced range as well as potency e.g. you'll never one shot an even level opponent and it's a bunny hopping spam fest as well.

Defiance may be a watered down MMO'TPS' but it doesn't have to turn into a TSW ripoff.

The other mechanics issue is that Defiance is a left button right button type of real time action game. You shoot or aim. The melee is not a complex system and that's by design - it's only meant to be a momentary action for acute situations. Yes, there are perks that support a melee style, however that's to augment it, not allow you to rely on it.

If they add melee weapons, then we'll be stuck with left button right button as in Skyrim style - which is cool, however the combat mechanics would have to be at least on par with TERA for that to work.

You think Trion is going to rebuild combat to that extent???!

Here's a better option, play Fallen Earth, Tera or Elder Scrolls Online.