PDA

View Full Version : Synergy mod sets: How do they really work.

Exes
04-11-2013, 08:42 AM
So I searched the forums and google and have yet to find a definitive answer or real confirmation:

So the Company vendors are selling weapons with 4 synergy bonuses. In order to make those bonuses work do I have to buy random synergy set lock boxes from the specific vendor until I get 4 mods for the same weapon and for each slot in order to make the bonus work? I'm asking because in the beta the synergy bonuses were greyed out and I was under the impression I would have to put in the mods from the same set to activate them, but now they are not greyed out any more.

If the above is true, I found many weapons with a lot of different synergy sets but yet have to see a single mod other than brutal from the random synergy box or drops (and im ego 1250ish).

Xaearth
04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
If the above is true, I found many weapons with a lot of different synergy sets but yet have to see a single mod other than brutal from the random synergy box or drops (and im ego 1250ish).

Because of this, I'm pretty sure there aren't many people who can really answer the question fully...
I mean the only real "guarantee" when it comes to synergy right now is the reputation vendors, and that's still a crap-shoot as far as what weapon/mod-slot you get and limited by the amount of rep anyone has been able to earn so far.

That said, if Soleptor sold a sniper rifle with the Scavenger synergy I could use the 3 sniper Scavenger mods I have sitting in my inventory *grumble-grumble-twitch*.

Kerian
04-11-2013, 08:49 AM
At ~680EGO I found a Run 'n Gun mod from a Synergy Mod Cache earlier.

And, yes, you need to attach those mods to your weapon in order to gain those bonuses.

Exes
04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
At ~680EGO I found a Run 'n Gun mod from a Synergy Mod Cache earlier.

And, yes, you need to attach those mods to your weapon in order to gain those bonuses.

That one and brutal are the only sets I've heard people actually finding. I had many different synergies on weapons by now but it seems the mods are simply not there.

Evilution
04-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Same, only had brutal and run' n' gun from mod cache's :(

Exes
04-11-2013, 08:55 AM
It is the only real weapon progression in this game. Wish it was thought through fully and integrated in a better way, maybe with some kind of tutorial/tooltip to make it clear.

Exhyle
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM
So I searched the forums and google and have yet to find a definitive answer or real confirmation:

So the Company vendors are selling weapons with 4 synergy bonuses. In order to make those bonuses work do I have to buy random synergy set lock boxes from the specific vendor until I get 4 mods for the same weapon and for each slot in order to make the bonus work? I'm asking because in the beta the synergy bonuses were greyed out and I was under the impression I would have to put in the mods from the same set to activate them, but now they are not greyed out any more.

From a specific vendor, no. The synergy mod must be the same as the synergy on the weapon you wish to equip it on. The number in brackets, [2] for example, shows how many mods with that synergy are required in order to gain that bonus. However, I'm not sure if they all stack such as one being a 10% increase and 2 being 15%; I don't think it counts to 25%.

I would like to think, given the weapon system, that the latter would supersede the former. Likewise, I'm not sure if applying 4 mods of the same synergy to a weapon that goes up to [4] would nullify the other three effects. I can only assume.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
From a specific vendor, no. The synergy mod must be the same as the synergy on the weapon you wish to equip it on. The number in brackets, [2] for example, shows how many mods with that synergy are required in order to gain that bonus. However, I'm not sure if they all stack such as one being a 10% increase and 2 being 15%; I don't think it counts to 25%.

I would like to think, given the weapon system, that the latter would supersede the former. Likewise, I'm not sure if applying 4 mods of the same synergy to a weapon that goes up to [4] would nullify the other three effects. I can only assume.

There are a lot of questions that we can only assume on. would be nice to have a conculsive answer on these questions from a dev.

Phrase Universe
04-11-2013, 09:05 AM
There are a lot of questions that we can only assume on. would be nice to have a conculsive answer on these questions from a dev.

I totally agree. I've searched through the forums and have yet to find a definitive answer on this.

Evilution
04-11-2013, 09:07 AM
I would like to know where we can mods such as veteran, assassin, survivalist etc. I can't find them or luckily get them from mod cache's and majority of my weapons are in them synergies.

mmproc4619
04-11-2013, 09:07 AM
that i can help with ... got a pistol with the correct mods on em and they do not stack. The part I need clarification on is if the background synergy effects only that 1 line or iff it is required for the other syn's to take effect.

Racheakt
04-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Same, only had brutal and run' n' gun from mod cache's :(

Same here, I dont think there are any other mod sets :mad:

So This gun I have with the "outlaw" cannot take advantage of the "run and gun"...

Nor have i seen a weapon with brutal and run' n' gun.

Evilution
04-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Same here, I dont think there are any other mod sets :mad:

So This gun I have with the "outlaw" cannot take advantage of the "run and gun"...

Nor have i seen a weapon with brutal and run' n' gun.
I have a run' n' gun scatter gun, just haven't got a shotgun mod for it yet :p

Quipwicked
04-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Something many people might not know. Yes you use mods to get the synergy bonus, but you can equip 2 weapons in 1 loadout with the same synergy and you will get the bonus of the 2 synergy without any mods. I tried it out yesterday. I equipped 2 weapons with the same synergy giving 10% increased fire rate after a full reload and my assault rifle clearly shot faster for about 3 seconds after the full reload, so i can confirm that matching synergy weapons will give you the (2) bonus. That means you really only need 2 more matching mods for both weapons to get the bonuses.

Victim Eyes
04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
there are other mods for purchase at the stores that require rep.

my best guess on how this works is you have to equip a mod type with the corresponding gun, i.e. Scavenger Mods with a Scavenger Gun. Now, as far as how that works I can only guess. I've seen some guns that just have one description, like [2] 5%..., and I've seen guns loaded down with all four slots. I assume to get the [2] slot bonus you need to have at least two of that type synergy mod attached to the gun.

Arch Fiend Folio
04-11-2013, 10:21 AM
there are other mods for purchase at the stores that require rep.

my best guess on how this works is you have to equip a mod type with the corresponding gun, i.e. Scavenger Mods with a Scavenger Gun. Now, as far as how that works I can only guess. I've seen some guns that just have one description, like [2] 5%..., and I've seen guns loaded down with all four slots. I assume to get the [2] slot bonus you need to have at least two of that type synergy mod attached to the gun.

No bud... 2 guns with that type equipped is all ya need to get those bonuses

Qoreman
04-13-2013, 09:20 AM
As was originally planned, your class "Outlaw, Machinist, Survivalist & Veteran" are basically starting costumes/weapons. (they were warned it would be confusing)

Your choice of that in the CC will not come back to haunt you later on, cause it really doesn't matter.

I searched the *ALL-forums for Dev posts on the subject.

When asked why they named them that if it didn't mean to classify the weapon for one of those beginner choices?.

They were bonus's themed off the starting roles. IE survivalist was sniper so the bonus's of the weapon+weapon Survivalist synergy was meant to be useful to snipers
-Jason Stone
Senior Systems Designer, Defiance

I am a "Machinist", I equipped a Detonator & LMG that had Synergy Bonuses for "Outlaw" [2] +5% Damage on last bullet in clip
Easy enough to test, hit some hellbug eggs for 202 per shot for 74 shots. The last bullet in clip was 212 damage.

Confirmed, I got the +5% bonus "Outlaw" on my "Machinist".

Conclusion:
a) All Synergy Effects are triggered by equipping either the [2] Weapons within the same Synergy Pool (same loadout).
b) Synergy weapon bonuses [1]-[4] are triggered by equipping MODS from within the same Synergy Pool (same weapon).
c) Class means nothing, its your starting gun/outfit nothing more

DeMoted
04-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Good luck finding the mods to fit your gun... Impossible.
I have 8 orange and tons of purple but no mods that fit those types lol.

Lance Dracolith
04-13-2013, 09:31 AM
So, I have an SMG with a cannoneer synergy on it. If I put a mod that isn't cannoneer it won't work?

DeMoted
04-13-2013, 09:38 AM
So, I have an SMG with a cannoneer synergy on it. If I put a mod that isn't cannoneer it won't work?

Nope will just sit there and piss you off. You will get the static upgrade ".90 reload" but you wont get the special bonus.

Lance Dracolith
04-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Nope will just sit there and piss you off. You will get the static upgrade ".90 reload" but you wont get the special bonus.

Wow..ok, thanks for clearing that up... -_-

Grimwyrd
04-13-2013, 12:22 PM
a) All Synergy Effects are triggered by equipping either the [2] Weapons within the same Synergy Pool (same loadout).
b) Synergy weapon bonuses [1]-[4] are triggered by equipping MODS from within the same Synergy Pool (same weapon).
c) Class means nothing, its your starting gun/outfit nothing more

Thank you for this! I originally tested "a" above with Survivalist and thought this didn't work. It turns out that the description of Survivalist is a little off. Survivalist says it does "+2% damage on a target with full health and shields", so I shot a skitterling for 1271 with my Survivalist rifle... equipped a second Survivalist weapon... shot another skitterling and got 1271 again... concluded it didn't work.

But what Survivalist actually does is give "~5% extra crit damage when you critical a target with full health and shields". So if I shot a "fresh mutant" without critting, I'd get 1271 no matter what. But If I critted a fresh mutant with one Survivalist weapon I'd get the normal 4386, but if I critted the fresh mutant with a second stowed Survivalist weapon... I'd crit for 4605.

Sp00kysnipes
04-13-2013, 12:49 PM
is making my head hurt. I would assume that you would need the correct mod for the gun to bring out it's synergy. And the buffs do not stack. I recently received a sniper with 4 synergy slots.

Synergy:Quartermaster
[1] +5% reload
[2] +10% reload
[3] +50% reload on self-revive
[4] +100% reload on self-revive

I highly doubt that after the 4th mod I will have 15% reload and a redundant 150% reload on self-revive. I say redundant because 150% would mean I could hold more ammo than the default cap would allow me to which seems far-fetched in my opinion. I do however think that after the 4 correct mods are placed I will have an ultimate stat boost of 10% reload and the 100% on self-revive. Retaining the highest stat boost of each unique stat. Unfortunately I cannot confirm any of my hypothesis at this time as I have yet to begin experimenting with the synergy mods let alone acquiring them. And I fear taking the gun into any pvp arena in the sheer poor luck of it simply disappearing. Til' the fatty patch on the 15th!:cool:

ten4
04-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Nobody but trion really knows how the heck synergies really work, there is no stats screen to even tell if they work or not neither. Plus when you throw a synergy mod into a weapon, it pretty much disappears and only lists the basic effect it gives. ie. scope adds accuracy.

I been tryin to figure this out for oh, over 2 months now. Maybe Trion will one day actually put in UI information to clear this confusion up.

No matter though, synergy mod boxes only give brutal so I won't be usin synergies until that is fixed.

DeMoted
04-13-2013, 01:12 PM
is making my head hurt. I would assume that you would need the correct mod for the gun to bring out it's synergy. And the buffs do not stack. I recently received a sniper with 4 synergy slots.

Synergy:Quartermaster
[1] +5% reload
[2] +10% reload
[3] +50% reload on self-revive
[4] +100% reload on self-revive

I highly doubt that after the 4th mod I will have 15% reload and a redundant 150% reload on self-revive. I say redundant because 150% would mean I could hold more ammo than the default cap would allow me to which seems far-fetched in my opinion. I do however think that after the 4 correct mods are placed I will have an ultimate stat boost of 10% reload and the 100% on self-revive. Retaining the highest stat boost of each unique stat. Unfortunately I cannot confirm any of my hypothesis at this time as I have yet to begin experimenting with the synergy mods let alone acquiring them. And I fear taking the gun into any pvp arena in the sheer poor luck of it simply disappearing. Til' the fatty patch on the 15th!:cool:

Good luck funding the mods in the first place.

Evilution
04-13-2013, 01:22 PM
No matter though, synergy mod boxes only give brutal so I won't be usin synergies until that is fixed.I've had Run 'n' gun mods from them, but it only seems to be them and Brutal that are in it :(