PDA

View Full Version : Snipe From The Shadows III

D351
04-11-2013, 10:21 AM
So... How long do you think it will take to get this pursuit. All I've got left is to get semi-auto up from 2 to 10 and get bolt kills from 900-ish to 5000... 5000 is a lot for sniping...

Doowi
04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Let me have a looksie.

I'm 1318 / 5000 bolt action kills
271 / 500 cloaked kills
And need to level up a semi-auto to 10

fishboy11
04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
do the sniping rampage trials

D351
04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
do the sniping rampage trials

Now this sounds like a good suggestion.

Bluegobln
04-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Which rampage is a bolt action sniper rifle?
Edit: Hotshot: Bolinas Sniper counts toward this pursuit, so use that to grind your 5000 kills most effectively I think. :D

Dahdii
04-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Sorry to come here and ask a different question, it seemed like it fit with yours in some way. Doing Rampages, do they go towards your pursuits as well? For example getting an smg to level 5. If there was a rampage with an smg weapon does it goes towards the mastery level?!

Bluegobln
04-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Kills count toward various things, such as the Overpass minigun rampage counts toward your total kill count of Dark Matter enemies (and also things like your daily/weekly contracts). The LMG rampage also counts toward LMG kills, though it has infinite ammo and you have a TON of enemies coming at you (that is quite useful for LMGs). If the weapon is right, it will count toward kill totals.

However, you will not gain weapon skill as far as I can tell. :D

Vuule
04-11-2013, 02:48 PM
There's a hotshot with an auto sniper called Sharpshooting savior, every time you zoom in, you auto cloak. Repeat this rampage for easy cloak kills :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykQfmw8WTL4

Bluegobln
04-11-2013, 02:50 PM
OK - I want to go ahead and confirm for people, Hotshot: Bolinas Sniper counts toward your bolt action kill counts! This is good because A) there are a lot of easy to kill enemies in this, and B) you're actually using a semi-auto sniper rifle even though it counts still, meaning much faster killing overall!

If you can't find it its in the western area of Marin, WSW of Muir FT and NW of Torc's garage.

Exes
04-11-2013, 02:51 PM
OK - I want to go ahead and confirm for people, Hotshot: Bolinas Sniper counts toward your bolt action kill counts! This is good because A) there are a lot of easy to kill enemies in this, and B) you're actually using a semi-auto sniper rifle even though it counts still, meaning much faster killing overall!

If you can't find it its in the western area of Marin, WSW of Muir FT and NW of Torc's garage.

It's a bit funny rampages and hotshots become the main source for most kill contracts/pursuits. Let's see when they will exclude those from everything.

SYN BLACK XS
04-11-2013, 02:55 PM
It's a bit funny rampages and hotshots become the main source for most kill contracts/pursuits. Let's see when they will exclude those from everything.

I hope we never see that...

Dandrielas
04-11-2013, 02:57 PM
I should try try that hotshot:bolinas snipers out because my semi-auto Sniper rifle is already close to level ten. I just need the kills now.

Exes
04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I hope we never see that...

Well I like it this way too. Finished 4 dailies for dark matter units in the past 4 days and the weekly finished itself basically on the fly from doing the minigun rampage in san fran.

Although there are other "tricks" for finishing some contracts fast as the blasters on farm today. Go to farm (where the data recorder for Run Blade to the Gut or something like that) is there are 8 blasters. Snipe them, takes 1 minute, relog and you will land in a different shard, always it seems, and repeat.

Same for the hides in marin, there is one farm that respawns 7 of them every other minute.

Bluegobln
04-11-2013, 05:05 PM
My sniping skills are increasing with this, something I thought wasn't possible (not because I am super awesome, because I honestly felt I was already at my peak skill which was so-so lol).

I'm starting to hit headshots noticeably faster than before. Makes me all warm and fuzzy thinking about trying to snipe more in PVP. :D

Ursa
04-12-2013, 01:29 AM
http://imgur.com/RheCOnQ

Do coop for semi-auto sniper rifle. I recommend exlosion 101 or scrapworks salvage. Dont use 2 burst shot one.
Recoil stock mod is must. U get almost 1 skill level per run.
u can easily buy semi auto sniper rifle from one of hidden vendor.
this part took most of time for this pursuit.

then i started kill farming for bolt-action. (from 1300ish)
It was hard to find good place for farming.
since bolt-action sniper rifle has really small magazine, u need ammo box nearby.
or u have to fight at close-range to loot ammo drop.
I found infinite skitterling regen spot with ammo box near Iron Demon Ranch.
I think this is best spot for kill farming if u dont need great xp. (still u get xp from here.)
(I wont give exact loaction here. sorry.)
I think i did this within 5-6hours. ( I got 1k kill for 1 hour with combat shotgun here. )

Munx
04-12-2013, 01:40 AM
best location is for kill farming is bolinas from what i've seen, not to mention that sniper is semi-auto with a quickish reload.

Though I guees hellbug farming could be an idea.

Playing my second char up now, trying to use bolt action as much as possible while leveling, hopefully ill be atleast 2500-3000 by the time I finish story, and commando should be done easily by then.

Era
04-12-2013, 01:59 AM
So glad I found this thread cause the only kill count weapon type challenge I have left is the bolt action.

Xazur
04-12-2013, 02:53 PM
I use bolt action sniper in the open world 24/7, its pretty much my main weapon, the Frontier Repeater is absolutely the highest damage sniper and can take off normal enemy heads in 1 shot. For this, I use the perk Assassin's Cache, which regenerates 3% ammo per crit kill, which is not alot I know. But I hardly miss with the headshots regardless, so getting that 1 bullet I spend for that 1 hit kill is good enough for me. In San Francisco, fighting the Dark Matter troops for 1 hit kill on normal mobs requires the Frontier Repeater. For anything before San Francisco, I find the Votan Bolter the best. Its a 1.2 fire rate bolt action, with 10 clip mag, and can kill normal mobs with 1 crit hit as well. Whats also great about it is that this is a scout, which you can hip fire with. Though preferably you can just crouch and hip fire plus it has no bloom, or none that I can see. So were you aim at is where you hit regardless if you are jumping or firing rapidly.

Ikagawa
04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
1222/5000 kills
487/500 cloaked kills
Semi-Auto from 0 to 10 (not looking forward to that, I hate those rifles)

Dwane
04-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Used Bolt snipe for 95% of all kills during every quest. Rest kills did in quarry tower (or however is called that location southeast from Crater) - fast clear with VOT bolter with pvp queue. There are cca 30+ targets and easy miniboss droping mostly blues, hop into PvP to reset mobs. Autosnipe is best in coop 101/scrapworks.

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/236/citytracker1.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img9/1790/citytracker2.png

Ceryk
04-12-2013, 04:53 PM
1222/5000 kills
487/500 cloaked kills
Semi-Auto from 0 to 10 (not looking forward to that, I hate those rifles)

Yeah, I've been running around with a semi-auto lately to level it... I can't stand them either.

Bluegobln
04-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah I'm currently down to just the Semi-Auto skill level to finish mine.

Man, the rest of it seems easy compared to this - I have a bar to gauge my progress but theres no numbers in it besides the level. I just feel like I'm starting to lose the will to grind. O.o

I need a really good consistent farm spot I guess. I thought it would be better to just go around doing whatever, but I kinda want to push for this and get it done! :D

Good luck everyone else working on this. :D

Ikagawa
04-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Yeah I'm currently down to just the Semi-Auto skill level to finish mine.

Man, the rest of it seems easy compared to this - I have a bar to gauge my progress but theres no numbers in it besides the level. I just feel like I'm starting to lose the will to grind. O.o

I need a really good consistent farm spot I guess. I thought it would be better to just go around doing whatever, but I kinda want to push for this and get it done! :D

Good luck everyone else working on this. :D

If you go to the Verdant Ridge, the mobs there spawn constantly after you finish breaking the satellite dish.

You'll probably want to hide up in the barn if you're going to try it though (watch out for the stairs in the back). You will be swarmed.

Migrayne
04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
For the cloaked kills do they count if you snipe while using cloak now. Before that did not count since you exit cloak when fireing. You had to use a grenade or a dot to get the kill after you go back into cloak.

Using the semi sniper is a pain since it takes so many hits to kill. If it can't kill nor.all mobs in 1 head shot its not really a sniper.

iChinglish
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm currently at...

2790 / 5000 Bolt Action Kills.

All the other parts are done. It's not so bad really.

teflondon
04-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm finished all but the bolt action 3683/5000 and I refuse to use the Hotshot: bolinas sniper challenge. Firstly, it's boring as shtako lol. Second, do keep in mind this will not raise your effective bolt action skill level. I'm at skill lvl 11 in semi auto and currently skill 14 in bolt action. I'll likely be 16 by the time I'm finished and people using the hotshot will be sitting at 10-12 tops most likely.

I also disliked the semi-auto's for a while...even posted about it lol. But I quite like them now. Some of them allow for staying scoped in constantly and you can REALLY lay down the pain on tougher enemies that do not recoil. For bolt action I'm currently using the green frontier with 1.15% crit mutli and just throwing on a mag +2/barrel 1.03 hip-aim. It's slow but if you have the aim things fall down.

Dwane
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
For bolt action I'm currently using the green frontier with 1.15% crit mutli and just throwing on a mag +2/barrel 1.03 hip-aim. It's slow but if you have the aim things fall down.

If ur not farming dark matter guys, vot bolter is incredible bolt snipe able to oneshoting common enemies.

teflondon
04-12-2013, 08:16 PM
If ur not farming dark matter guys, vot bolter is incredible bolt snipe able to oneshoting common enemies.

Very true :) I carry one of those as well. I do like seeing the huge numbers with the frontier though lol.

teflondon
04-12-2013, 08:18 PM
For the cloaked kills do they count if you snipe while using cloak now. Before that did not count since you exit cloak when fireing. You had to use a grenade or a dot to get the kill after you go back into cloak.

Using the semi sniper is a pain since it takes so many hits to kill. If it can't kill nor.all mobs in 1 head shot its not really a sniper.

They do count now while sniping + cloak.

I agree the semi's can be annoying. I found them best against big enemies that do not flinch. You can unload entire clips into their face as fast as you can fire. The best ones come with crit multi baked in but that is rare.

teflondon
04-13-2013, 12:19 AM
4606/5000 now. I can almost taste it. Been driving from one end of the map to the other doing every road side mission I can find and any other interesting place were the missions reset. Pretty sure I'll end at bolt action skill 17 when this is one.

Arsenic_Touch
04-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Wish I would've looked at the pursuits and leveled pistols and semi autos from the start.

Munx
04-13-2013, 12:50 AM
leveling pistol and semi auto is a breeze, the challenge is the 5000 bolt kills.

Youngwings
04-13-2013, 12:54 AM
I can see 5000 kills Between Pistols, Semi-Auto and Bolt action as a possibility... but 5000 from Bolt Action alone? Thats insane.

teflondon
04-13-2013, 03:53 AM
YAY, all done lol. That took some doing lol. No Hotshot: bolinas sniper challenge either, just running about doing missions as I came to them.

http://i.imgur.com/ZfFUiGP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/49lvD0L.jpg

Yeah, for some odd reason the female version has no goggles to the mask =/ Not overly happy about that and I'm hopeful it's a bug as I was certain I saw them before. @Shrugs@

Munx
04-13-2013, 04:09 AM
its not a bug, and im pretty sure you are one of the few people who misses the goggles :P

the male version has the ugly goggles though.

Neptonius
05-02-2013, 05:52 AM
This is some serious Boring goal to get!

I'm 1925 / 5000 bolt action kills
500 / 500 cloaked kills
And need to level up a semi-auto to 10(lvl 4 atm.)

The 5000 bolt action kills is Really killing me, i tryed that hotshot & zZzZzz It's way to Boring doing that over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Wish they would Lower some of those goals, it's really a Boring grind fest.

Also, the reward is a crap azz ugly suit, im only doing this for the title.

Kierro Kai
05-02-2013, 06:32 AM
I would stay behind "New Freedom" carrier by E-Rep & snipe the mutants. Dow the field there usually 4 guys jumping out of a Van running towards a group of E-Reps to the North-east there's 2 above an off hill drain. Then north you have 4 more mutants closer to the carrier. 10 guys who respawn constantly, that's how I did it. Plus due to lower lvl it takes 1shot regardless of body, except when you have another player it seems to cause you to shoot a few times, idk why.

Dwane
05-02-2013, 06:33 AM
This is some serious Boring goal to get!

I'm 1925 / 5000 bolt action kills
500 / 500 cloaked kills
And need to level up a semi-auto to 10(lvl 4 atm.)

The 5000 bolt action kills is Really killing me, i tryed that hotshot & zZzZzz It's way to Boring doing that over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Also, the reward is a crap azz ugly suit, im only doing this for the title.

Lvl up BMGs and sawed SGs to lvl10 and come back tell us how hard is it to snipe :).

Prelude
05-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Lvl up BMGs and sawed SGs to lvl10 and come back tell us how hard is it to snipe :).

I've leveled both BMGs and Sawed offs to 10, as well as 5000 bolt action kills. Getting the 5k bolt action kills was far more painful.

Facade
05-02-2013, 06:43 AM

I think the issue is that the goal is meant to be just while playing normally, however there isn't really enough content at the moment to hit that goal without some serious grinding.

Neptonius
05-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Im gonna find a ammo box and sit on that and snipe away... That would be the best camp spot ever to get the 5k lol

Facade
05-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Im gonna find a ammo box and sit on that and snipe away... That would be the best camp spot ever to get the 5k lol

Take the perk that regens ammo on critical kill. You should be getting those with a sniper anyway so you will never run out of ammo.

Prelude
05-02-2013, 06:52 AM
Even though I've completed both BMG level 10 and bolt action kills, I think that BMGS need some kind of positive experience modifier and # of bolt action kills required reduced.

OmegaHertzBR
05-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Bolt Action kills...
Restarted, I was 2591/5000 and now this scoring 7/5000.
What do I do?

FizzyMyNizzy
05-03-2013, 10:16 AM
I got mine couple of days ago.
http://s10.postimg.org/r9c5ozuaw/Defiance_2013_05_03_13_13_34_81.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/r9c5ozuaw/Defiance_2013_05_03_13_13_34_81.jpg

I would say around... a week, week and a half time to get it. I do mix of arkfall hunting, 4 man co op, random location sniping. If you just focus on just sniping and all. Maybe faster. . I didn't really do that hotshot to get it. I rather go some where else to do it.

Yezz
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Got mine in about 4 days.
Tip: The Mission at the tower in SanF - deactivate/active the turrets - is a sharpshooters paradise. Just grab assassins cache and enyoy.

Hiero Glyph
05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Bolt Action kills...
Restarted, I was 2591/5000 and now this scoring 7/5000.
What do I do?

Kill one thing with bolt action, it should revert to its original value. This error was due to a bug caused from yesterday's patch.

Grimwyrd
05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I always cringe when I see people suggesting rampages/hotshots for leveling "kill quantity". Last time I looked, you didn't get weapon experience, so I prefer to farm areas where I multi-task.

There are a number of repeatable missions that are good for sniping (Kenn Farm, Sutro Tower, Big Stone) and these result in normal xp, weapon xp, loot drops, keys, kill-count... the whole enchilada.

Are they as fast for kill-count? No. But you are progressing other aspects of your character at the same time.

Erei
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I always cringe when I see people suggesting rampages/hotshots for leveling "kill quantity". Last time I looked, you didn't get weapon experience, so I prefer to farm areas where I multi-task.

There are a number of repeatable missions that are good for sniping (Kenn Farm, Sutro Tower, Big Stone) and these result in normal xp, weapon xp, loot drops, keys, kill-count... the whole enchilada.

Are they as fast for kill-count? No. But you are progressing other aspects of your character at the same time.
I want the title, the outfit, and the ego rating reward. I don't like sniping, so having a high lvl bolt action sniper rifle is useless to me. As soon as I have the 5K kill, I'll drop the sniping gun and will never use it again.
Also, bolinas reward ark salvage, credit, xp, and a mod. If you are lucky, you can even have a synergy mod (2 so far).

So yeah, for me, the challenge is nice for that.

Chaos 915
05-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Bolinas Hotshot is how I got my 5000 kills. It was a bit boring, but it didn't take as long as I thought it would. Grinding kills with actual enemies takes too long with the bolt-action rifles.

I had my perks set up to kill most enemies in 1 hit anywhere on their body, with the exception of goldrushers and the blacklung.

The most useful perks were Height Advantage(3),Sucker Punch(3), and possibly Nerves of Steel(3, not sure if it works if the enemies can't see you). Assassin's Cache(3) was also very useful in keeping my ammo up in case I missed(mostly due to poor hit detection). Single-minded helps to reduce downtime between reloads, which helps you finish the level quicker

I was fairly consistentently getting gold once I changed my perks, so even if I didn't get proficiency, I got several good weapon mods.

If I want proficiency Hulkers and Forges are more efficient than killing 5000 enemies the normal way.

Genfar
05-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Well for the sniper bolt action rifle kills I did all mine farming this one area that's just when you first go into bloodbath goerge ( cant spell lol ) its also the first stop you put a device down when your using that hauler cass brings you where there are mutants around. Heres why I used it and let me say it took a while but . . . .

- There is a ammo box there so pretty much no running away to get more ammo

- Most the time I was there after I would kill off certain set of mutants other ones would respawn back I might at times had to wait around a min tops.

- Doing this here also if you run out of bolt action rifles to level for the weapons rank there is a vendor not to far from the site.

I went from around 1k kills to 5k in this spot but it took me around maybe 6 - 8 hours worth though plus I also got my bolt action rifles to rank 20 in this spot at the same time too once I got the 5k kills I was around rank 18 almost to 19 and just finished it up there.

Jinn Goodman
05-03-2013, 11:54 AM
So... How long do you think it will take to get this pursuit. All I've got left is to get semi-auto up from 2 to 10 and get bolt kills from 900-ish to 5000... 5000 is a lot for sniping... Equip the perk that gives you ammo after a melee kill. Go to the hotshot location for Mutant Shotgun (by ER Camp) and after starting it, press start and switch to your sniper. Then get a bunch of kills. When low on ammo, use the melee kill 4 ammo!

Genfar
05-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Equip the perk that gives you ammo after a melee kill. Go to the hotshot location for Mutant Shotgun (by ER Camp) and after starting it, press start and switch to your sniper. Then get a bunch of kills. When low on ammo, use the melee kill 4 ammo!

I would not do this the hotshot if your doing it is for using that shotgun not a sniper rifle aka this would be an expliot. If your able to swap out your weapon for this hotshot challenge I hope you reported this bug, cause do not matter if I test it and it works I will report it.

Also ammo regernating perks should also not be working in those challenges the point of it is to get a score with the limited ammo your given, there are only certain challenges that lets you get more ammo as part of the challenge but this is not one of them.

Grimwyrd
05-03-2013, 12:00 PM
I don't like sniping, so having a high lvl bolt action sniper rifle is useless to me. As soon as I have the 5K kill, I'll drop the sniping gun and will never use it again.

I guess I can see that, if you're not interested in leveling the weapon skill.

I actually like leveling up the weapons skills too (for instance, I've got Assault Rifles 20 and LMG 15 while working on Going Commando and Stout Tactics). I'd like to take Bolt-Action Sniper Rifles to skill 20, so 5k kills will happen organically as I level the weapon skill.

Tyger
05-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Ok... So the total skill lvl for a weapon class is 20.... not 10, right?

Renfield
05-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Ok... So the total skill lvl for a weapon class is 20.... not 10, right?

Correct. You need to get your semi-automatic sniper skill up to 10 for the 'Snipe from the Shadows III' pursuit, but level 20 is the max skill for weapons.

Yezz
05-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Don't mind the bolt-action-skill, you'll get to 20 WAY before 5000 kills. Well, if you get your kills in regular gameplay.

Dylster501
05-04-2013, 07:22 PM
769/5000 Kills
9/10 Skill
378/500 Cloaked Kills for me
The best way I've found to upgrade Semi-Autos is to put a DMG increase mod on, then go to San Francisco and get lots of head shots on Dark Matter, Enforcers give about 30 xp for criticals and it's open enough to get several shots in before your swarmed, and you can use cloak to find a new sniping point.

shadowkin
05-04-2013, 08:07 PM
yeah this pursuit is killing me omg lol.. 2600/5000, and need semis at 10, rest is done.. grrrrr!!

MrClip26
05-12-2013, 04:49 PM
i found a place that glitched my combat shotgun to 5k kills and completed the pursuit while only having 1077 kills with it. i did the same with my bolt action :p BIG GLITCH near diablo station.. (all im saying)

FantasyMeister
05-12-2013, 08:17 PM
This is my spot, you get Bolt-Action/Semi-Auto Weapon Skill and cumulative kills this way. Note that if you're on XBox 360 EU don't get mad at me because I'm there when you are, I still got 4000 kills to go!

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8036/horseshoebay.jpg

Mess7739
09-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Whenever I need to level up a weapon or get the 5k kill count for a pursuit, I just replay the Main Mission. I have the pursuit oriented weapon as my primary and a decent fallback weapon that I'm used to as a secondary. I did the Pistol, SMG, Infector, Combat Shotgun, Sawed-Off, etc. this way, if I reached my "weapon goal" mid way through finishing the Main Mission then I swap it for another pursuit oriented weapon. Its also a good source of weapon exp. that you don't get at Hotshots, Scrip & Salvage, and loot.

Valentine
09-05-2013, 08:17 PM
They should combine your semi and bolt kills for that pursuit and move it down to 2000 imo.

Quebra Regra
03-10-2014, 03:43 PM
So what's the Diablo station kills glitch?

I've about had it with trying to get the 5000 kills with the bolt action. It actually makes me enjoy the semi autos. Damn why did they have to kill the XP from the mutants at the earth camp?

Seriously, there has got to be an easier way right? I'm not above glitching for this.

Atticus Batman
03-10-2014, 04:01 PM

I've about had it with trying to get the 5000 kills with the bolt action. It actually makes me enjoy the semi autos. Damn why did they have to kill the XP from the mutants at the earth camp?

Seriously, there has got to be an easier way right? I'm not above glitching for this.

One of the mines requires you to activate and protect a device until it is finished uploading. Do that one, let the raiders disable the device, stand in a tower and just keep sniping the infinite loop until you are bored or done, then go down and reactivate the device. I did that back in April, when then game was released. I'd go there and get between five hundred and thousand kills a day, until I got it.

Quebra Regra
03-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks Atticus, I know just the mine you're talking about (usually one of the vendor rep challenges).

beats grinding Bolinas for no xp or loot.

Any other short cuts?

Atticus Batman
03-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Thanks Atticus, I know just the mine you're talking about (usually one of the vendor rep challenges).

Any other short cuts?

That sounds like the right one. I always sniped from high up and used the perks that give me more damage from above and the more damage while crouched. Back then I also used cloak, but Oc would be a good choice as well. I felt that it was also helpful to use the perks that helped me reload faster, since some Bas have a long reload time.

crasher
03-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Any other short cuts?

I dunno, Dude.
I kinda like taking 'toons through Assassin and Tank.
Maybe thats just me, eh?

Amack
03-10-2014, 04:43 PM

Try to find a quiet shard so you don't interrupt any newbies. Use sniper ridge the same way you would the mutants at the Erep camp. You will receive 1 key per run as well as accomplishing your other goals at the same time. Each time you finish Sniper Ridge, fast travel back to Erep camp, rinse and repeat.