PDA

View Full Version : Hands on Massively article

Kordesh
03-08-2013, 07:55 AM
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/08/hands-on-with-the-pre-launch-defiance-demo/
Lots of it is more or less stuff that is already known. However, here's some stuff

At launch, there will be no guild system, corporation management, or global marketplace

Looks like they're going to go ahead and launch without social features to meet their launch date. Another early release. I can't comment on previous comments about this as they're under NDA, but presumably this should be open to discussion now that it has been made publicly available.

I also had opportunity to chat with Elizabeth Tobey, Trion's director of community relations, who told me about the studio's goal of creating and sustaining community buzz to keep Defiance viable long-term. Expect social media engagement and product placement from sponsoring companies (like Dodge cars and Axe deodorant).

Urg. Knowing Trion in the past, I don't doubt there will be oodles of social media crap with twitter and facebook, but I really hope that axe and dodge crap is going to be in the show and not floating around the game. The second I see someone talking about, referencing, or putting an axe can in my inventory, I'm going to lose it.

Viciouz
03-08-2013, 08:00 AM

But axe will attract all those sexy hell bugs

Daymarr
03-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Good find bro!

Anyone notice there atlease one female character with white hair in a video/picture? xD

Celke
03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
So there are no clan / guilds available at launch? :/

Kordesh
03-08-2013, 08:06 AM
But axe will attract all those sexy hell bugs

Thank you for putting the image of one of those terrible "double pits" commercials ending in the guy getting pounced on by excited hellbugs from every angle. In retrospect, I might be ok with that kind of product placement...

So there are no clan / guilds available at launch? :/

Unless the article is misreporting it, that appears to be so. On the one hand, it gives people more time to get organized and get the stuff they need together to make their guilds when it is finally made available. On the other hand, it's not cool that a major cornerstone of the MMO experience is missing out of the gate. All told, they're probably being held to a strict deadline, and they couldn't squeeze it in. Personally, I think it should have been delayed the extra time. I just hope they don't try to advertise it as "free content" or expanded content in the future when it is added in.

Aliyah
03-08-2013, 08:07 AM
No guild system... Like not even a basic group your friends together under a tag system?

Escyos
03-08-2013, 08:13 AM
I think I will take what Trion has been saying over some random website, they are going to have a clan system.

We have seen some billboard in the live streams so maybe Dodge and Axe will show up on them, remnants of the old world.

IGears
03-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Looks like they're going to go ahead and launch without social features to meet their launch date. Another early release. I can't comment on previous comments about this as they're under NDA, but presumably this should be open to discussion now that it has been made publicly available.

i didnt get that they are not gonna have social features at launch. you can still group and they dont have a number on the people in a clan.. Corporation management, global marketplace...sounds like they mean an Auction house or something.

Kordesh
03-08-2013, 08:17 AM
I think I will take what Trion has been saying over some random website, they are going to have a clan system.

We have seen some billboard in the live streams so maybe Dodge and Axe will show up on them, remnants of the old world.

Massively isn't a random website, and that information was given to them from Trion during a demo event. So unless they've changed their position from whenever this event was, it's likely accurate.

i didnt get that they are not gonna have social features at launch. you can still group and they dont have a number on the people in a clan.. Corporation management, global marketplace...sounds like they mean an Auction house or something.

Guilds=Clans. So unless they mean a leveling/mission system regarding guilds, rather than the entire system itself, you won't have clans at launch. Not having grouping isn't so much a social feature, as a "your MMO isn't finished yet" feature. Global marketplace does appear to be an auction house, which honestly, I never use anyway in most games.

mushinwolf
03-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Interesting, thanks for finding this :)

RoganTheGypo
03-08-2013, 08:25 AM
There are requirements for guilds you cant start one randomly, Its earned in a sense.
According to the vids anyway guilds at the moment seem to just be large friends lists with a 'global' voip system.

Whats the hubub?

Escyos
03-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Massively isn't a random website, and that information was given to them from Trion during a demo event. So unless they've changed their position from whenever this event was, it's likely accurate.

I've also seen information on other websites given over that stated that the aliens are called Voltans. I'm pretty sure its Votan and I'm pretty sure sometimes things are written wrong.

Kordesh
03-08-2013, 08:32 AM
I've also seen information on other websites given over that stated that the aliens are called Voltans. I'm pretty sure its Votan and I'm pretty sure sometimes things are written wrong.

Hey, believe whatever you want. I would however like to hear a confirmation on it as well.

Aliyah
03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I am pretty sure if the information is false, massively or Trion will come out with some kind of statement/correction, if not then well it may be true.

Rarodil
03-08-2013, 08:42 AM

The article also called the game an FPS. Errors are one thing, being completely wrong about a major detail is another.

Blazing Paddles
03-08-2013, 08:45 AM
It's a little bit of a bummer about the lack of a clan system upon launch. But, we'll deal with it.

The product placement doesn't bother me. I saw in the live stream they were driving "Dodge Challenger" cars. Which again, I don't mind, as I think they look awesome.

Tzar of kaos
03-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Nothing really new but some medias talk about Defiance that's always cool. Good ... :)

Kordesh
03-08-2013, 09:08 AM
The article also called the game an FPS. Errors are one thing, being completely wrong about a major detail is another.

They also didn't seem to know about the microtransactions, as they assumed they would be there, but didn't state so factually which has been known for quite some time. I agree the article is pretty vauge, but that's what made the points that they appeared solid stand out. It sounds like a bullet point from someone's notes. The FPS thing is incorrect, but was likely a brain skip.

Fiancee
03-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Hmm, SWTOR had no guilds at launch. TSW had no guilds or AH. Rift had only AH, and guilds, guild progression, guild AH was added later.

It takes only a couple week to add those after launch, they are something what devs does not prioritize for launch. Guild Recruitment forum is straigh there, so its added after launch.

This is MMORPG, they add constantly stuff guys, even there isnt sub fees. Its something Ive noticed some people does not realize.

Halcyon
03-08-2013, 09:25 AM
The guild system is definitely false and they had to be using an old build. The guild system has been seen in many videos including the Xbox 360 walkthrough I believe. I don't see why they would remove something that is already in the game?

Shogo_Yahagi
03-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I've got to say that I was not super excited to see them say that the console versions are trailing behind the PC version, considering that we are only about 3 and a half weeks to launch and we can't even get Trion to confirm a date for the console beta. As a potential PS3 player, that did not inspire confidence.

Fiancee
03-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I've got to say that I was not super excited to see them say that the console versions are trailing behind the PC version, considering that we are only about 3 and a half weeks to launch and we can't even get Trion to confirm a date for the console beta. As a potential PS3 player, that did not inspire confidence.

Wasnt 15 to 17 March confirmed for console beta? After that 2 week and its a GO.

Desidus
03-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Wasnt 15 to 17 March confirmed for console beta? After that 2 week and its a GO.

So far that is just a rumor as far as I am aware, anybody else know?

TR GunPlay
03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Good find man

Shogo_Yahagi
03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
That date was leaked on other sites, but the official word is that it's just a rumor until Trion gives a date, and they haven't done so.

Desidus
03-08-2013, 10:46 AM
That date was leaked on other sites, but the official word is that it's just a rumor until Trion gives a date, and they haven't done so.

Yeah I knew that much, just wondered if more info had come out since.

Dekar
03-08-2013, 10:50 AM

I believe they meant that as how many machines they had on display. Later in the article they point out that it looks and plays just as good on all platforms and looked far better than early beta shots.

UnrealIncognito
03-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Though it is a good read and I really to wish to voice my opinion on the but can't.
Though I would say that I would class it all as here say, as the person who wrote
the article calls the game a FPS when it is clearly TPS game.

Dead_Phoenix
03-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Though it is a good read and I really to wish to voice my opinion on the but can't.
Though I would say that I would class it all as here say, as the person who wrote
the article calls the game a FPS when it is clearly TPS game.

not the first reviewer to do this. trion need to watch it, otherwise the forums will get flooded with people complaining theres no fps style in this game..

Rarodil
03-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Update: Dahanese stated on the steam Q&A thread, "We have clam support and will have more features coming post launch" which suggests it will exist in a feature-poor state.

SYN BLACK XS
03-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Update: Dahanese stated on the steam Q&A thread, "We have clam support and will have more features coming post launch" which suggests it will exist in a feature-poor state.

I'm all for clam support. Great to know :P

It almost sounds like they got this game confused with Dust514... Corporations, microtransactions..

Desidus
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM

No worries as long as there is clans and a friend system I would be happy. Trading with clan, clan ranks, clan loot, clan boosts are all well and good but not major issues for me. Not having a clan at all would be unfortunate to say the least.

Smitch
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM

Or that as the world evolves, the features available to clans evolve and social hubs. It may have actually been planned this way. Who knows. I certainly don't have flies on the wall at Trion. >.<

Manta Dracoon
03-08-2013, 06:55 PM
theres to many things in this article tht don't make any sense at all like contently saying its an FPS so this is garbage.

A s0t
03-08-2013, 07:00 PM
i thought i read somewhere level 50 and 5000 scrip for make a guild

Desidus
03-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Thought the scrip was less than that.. but maybe you're right my memory has never been all that great...

what were we talking about again?

A s0t
03-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Thought the scrip was less than that.. but maybe you're right my memory has never been all that great...

what were we talking about again?

no guild or clans right off the bat

Bar6arian
03-08-2013, 07:09 PM

5000 was said in the livestream tonight

nitroz76
03-08-2013, 07:12 PM
PRE LAUNCH DEMO!?

GIMMIE NAOW!! D:<

Please... I'm desperate.

Paladin
03-08-2013, 07:48 PM

It's 50 rating so basically lvl 5 or 5 ego points.

Muffinman
03-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Unless the article is misreporting it, that appears to be so. On the one hand, it gives people more time to get organized and get the stuff they need together to make their guilds when it is finally made available. On the other hand, it's not cool that a major cornerstone of the MMO experience is missing out of the gate. All told, they're probably being held to a strict deadline, and they couldn't squeeze it in. Personally, I think it should have been delayed the extra time. I just hope they don't try to advertise it as "free content" or expanded content in the future when it is added in.

Im pretty sure they're wrong, trust me, there is a clan system =)

lPATT
03-08-2013, 08:07 PM
i saw clan in option in all video i look of defiance . from all official video , live stream , people breaking NDA and me looking at them . they were always clan in the option and people with clan around next to their name . and they will tell me that in the retail there won't be clan at launch ?

i don't believe the article =) Also when the Article start with :
Defiance: It's a game, it's an MMO, it's an FPS

you know they got mistake all over the article already .

PurePlayinSerb
03-08-2013, 10:16 PM
They say its a FPS apparently any game with guns is considered a FPS now