PDA

View Full Version : Racing Challenges MK vs Controller

Raehvyn
04-11-2013, 11:34 PM
A few days ago I started doing racing challenges. I play with a mouse and keyboard typically so naturally I tried with that combo. Silver was really difficult, I found I was struggling to move fluidly. I switched to a controller and now I'm sporting a black charger. A person on teamspeak also commented that they have to switch to controller, it just feels more natural. With MK everything appears to be so clunky. I was curious what people thought of it in general? Out of MK and Controllers which did you guys find more effective?

Doowi
04-12-2013, 12:12 AM
I used MK and did everything apart from 2 or 3 races on gold that first time. It's all about paying attention and learning the way the things handle in this game before going ahead with the races.

The downside is that Trion have a really bad team of developers when it came to porting over this game from their console version to the PC as they never changed the major aspects of the game to fit the PC user base.

However they have noticed how pissed off we are, so they are finally pulling out their finger and getting things sorted out.

However in my personal opinion the lead developer/project manager for Defiance at Trion should resign for the awful string of events that has happen for the console and PC version of Defiance or Trion should just fire him/her.

Drandorion
04-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Hmm... I really struggled to get silver on the racing challenges and had all but given up ever attaining gold. I'll try using my gamepad and get back to you tomorrow. Of course I could just suck at driving games... so there's that.

Raehvyn
04-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Hmm... I really struggled to get silver on the racing challenges and had all but given up ever attaining gold. I'll try using my gamepad and get back to you tomorrow. Of course I could just suck at driving games... so there's that.

I remember saying that I was bad at it until I grabbed my controller and saw that turning and braking was a heck of a lot easier. Give it a whirl. :D

Corsair
04-12-2013, 12:22 AM
A few days ago I started doing racing challenges. I play with a mouse and keyboard typically so naturally I tried with that combo. Silver was really difficult, I found I was struggling to move fluidly. I switched to a controller and now I'm sporting a black charger. A person on teamspeak also commented that they have to switch to controller, it just feels more natural. With MK everything appears to be so clunky. I was curious what people thought of it in general? Out of MK and Controllers which did you guys find more effective?

I did all the races with MK just what your most used to I guess. My Xbox is a glorified DVD player now days.

Doowi
04-12-2013, 12:25 AM
My Xbox is a glorified DVD player now days.

Yeap pretty much the same!

ExpiredLifetime
04-12-2013, 02:24 AM
One of the things that I had to make myself do when I was racing was to take my hand off of the mouse. When you do that, it won't force override the camera wanting to auto track the vehicle any time the mouse gets moved.

Drandorion
04-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Well after using my gamepad to dive I have to say it controls much smoother. Unfortunately for me I rarely use a gamepad so my times were still abysmal.

I do feel that with more practice on the gamepad I have a chance of getting gold on some of the races. The A and D keys are just so random on how much they actually turn the bike that I can't consistently make turns.

Lambchops
04-14-2013, 11:34 PM
I didn't have much of a problem doing it on M/KB. It's definitely going to be smoother with a controller, analog vs. digital control, but it's not that big a deal for me. I still manage to drive pretty well with M/KB. Must come from all that time I spent power sliding around in APB and Saints Row 3 (on PC). Used to WASD driving at this point.

Nadem
04-15-2013, 03:30 AM
I aced all of the races with Gold times in a couple of tries, and I, too, have APB, Saints Row and Simpsons: Hit & Run to thank for that. You develop this skill of rapidly tapping the keys in order to get smooth turning. It really is about experience whether you can do this or not.

Lambchops
04-15-2013, 04:22 AM
I aced all of the races with Gold times in a couple of tries, and I, too, have APB, Saints Row and Simpsons: Hit & Run to thank for that. You develop this skill of rapidly tapping the keys in order to get smooth turning. It really is about experience whether you can do this or not.

"Rapidly tapping keys" is a good way to sum it up, yes. My poor hand doesn't seem to appreciate it as much as the game does, rewarding me with a special car and what not.

Doomtrooper
04-15-2013, 07:58 AM
I've got quite a bit of experience with racing games using keyboard+mouse so this was not an issue for me.

What was an issue was the extra seconds added to my times...

Graylen
04-15-2013, 08:00 AM
I tried my Xbox360 controller and couldn't drive for the life of me, no idea why, but i play far far better with my keyboard.

Remag Div
04-15-2013, 09:50 AM
One of the things that I had to make myself do when I was racing was to take my hand off of the mouse. When you do that, it won't force override the camera wanting to auto track the vehicle any time the mouse gets moved.

This, plus I rebinded boost to the spacebar instead of shift.

Shada Mori
04-15-2013, 11:31 AM
I use the slightly weird combo of WASD for steering with boost and hand brake on mouse one and two respectively. Its weird but it works.

Jestunhi
04-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Keyboard is full throttle, no throttle or full reverse. Full left, straight or full right.

My controller lets me control the amount of throttle as well as the amount of steering.

There's no doubt in my mind that controllers > kb & m for racing (while the opposite is true for shooting).

OmegaDelta
04-15-2013, 03:05 PM
All I did (which helped me dramatically) was re-map my boost to my keyboard's Right-Shift...and now I'm driving really easy!