PDA

View Full Version : Launcher - No Pin required anymore?

GkarukDefiance
04-12-2013, 03:58 AM
Hey all,

Just a quick query, why does the launcher no longer ask for my pin?

The whole point to to add extra security protection to the game, similar to Rift and other games. Yet the launcher recently no longer has an entry for it when you sign in. Is my account at higher risk of being hacked now?

Thanks in advance

Komakala
04-12-2013, 04:01 AM
The authenticator space was never actually needed. Patch notes pointed this out a few patches back. It actually provided a false sense of security. You could log into Alpha, Beta and Launch versions of the client just supplying a password and leaving the authenticator space blank. That is why they removed it. As for the question on if you're at a higher risk, than no. You're essentially at the same level of risk as you were before.

Edit: Just follow strong password procedures. Longer passwords, include a variety of Upper and Lowercase, Numbers and Symbols. Make sure the password is unique to the account and not used for say your e-mail, and change it on a regular basis.

Over00
04-12-2013, 04:01 AM
You mean password? If so it should still be there. At-least it was for me this morning.

alred
04-12-2013, 04:18 AM
You mean password? If so it should still be there. At-least it was for me this morning.

The launcher used to say:
Name [or something like that]

Password:

Authenticator:

I figured the Authenticator went away unless you had on tied to your account.

GkarukDefiance
04-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks folks.

Its tied on my account so as per Rift expected to have to enter it. As long as the risk to a hack is no higher without entering im happy.

Ikagawa
04-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks folks.

Its tied on my account so as per Rift expected to have to enter it. As long as the risk to a hack is no higher without entering im happy.

The risk of a hack is higher without it.

Komakala
04-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Perhaps I didn't word my statement quite right. Because the authenticator portion of Defiance launcher never worked, the fact that they removed that entry didn't increase your risk. Naturally if the authenticator actually worked then it would be less risk with one attached than without.

Ikagawa
04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Yes, that makes much more sense :D