PDA

View Full Version : Defiance Review: Eurogamer!

Scarabrae
04-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Here it is, 5/10!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-12-defiance-review

SuPeR X AnGeR
04-12-2013, 07:29 AM
It's funny because they think the game was called an MMO in the review when it's actually a TPS first, and an MMO second :P

sushiking89
04-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Here it is, 5/10!

Yikes.It wont affect me obviously, but if the trend continues, people might not give the game a try because of the reviews.

Elastik Spastik
04-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Never go on reviews. Its just one persons opinion. We are all different. We like diffrent things.

Macka
04-12-2013, 08:10 AM
I think the review is quite fair to be honest.

There is something about the game that makes me want to keep playing and it does have potential.

sushiking89
04-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Never go on reviews. Its just one persons opinion. We are all different. We like diffrent things.

I wish more people didnt follow reviews but they do. It's just how it goes sometimes.

seany1977
04-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I don't agree with the score. I think all the reviews at the moment are 50% bad 50% good. However it's the bad reviews that damage the game sales and I want this game to suceed because it has a ton of potential.

The best review I have read is here http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/defiance-review-game-consoles-finally-get-a-true-mmo-just-pardon-the-glitches/ It matches my opinion and score exactly

Grit
04-12-2013, 09:27 AM
i think the more "casual gamers" take in the reviews more often than not. Granted this game isn't a perfect 10 in graphics or sound but its a 10 in untapped potential for fun. At this stage in the current console potential for fun > pretty looks.

I'll take a harem of 6s to 8s when it comes to the ladies cuz chances are there will be lots of fun to be had...no one wants to waste time catering to a cpl of 10s to keep them happy...seriously...they'd just nag ya to death...

Dragon's Dogma and Defiance are two gems that i found that didn't get the best "reviews" anytime you can lose yourself for hours and not realize its been 2 hrs since you've sat down...then you know you've found a heck of a game.

doggirl211
04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
I think the review is quite fair to be honest.

There is something about the game that makes me want to keep playing and it does have potential.

I agree, I think it a fair review. I like the game, but everyone needs to be honest with themselves....it's got some major problems. When those get worked out, I think it will be smooth sailing and we'll be happy we waited it out. It does no one any good, least of all the game itself and it's community, to deny that these problems exist.

RolandCal
04-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Here it is, 5/10!

Exactly the way I feel about the game, good review.

RLStroud
04-12-2013, 10:01 AM
If I were forced to review the game, I'd have a hard time. For me, personally, I'd give it a 10/10 based solely on how much I enjoy playing it. However, reviews have to be at least somewhat objective, so that wouldn't be the score I'd give it. Most of the issues I simply overlook because they only occur sporadically right now, and when they do, I am able to ignore them because of how much fun I have when thing run smoothly (which it does 95% of the time now for me).

If I had to go completely objectively and take out my personal "fun" factor and try to review it based on a very specific set of parameters like graphics, gameplay etc etc, I might rate it as low as a 6. Let's be honest, there are some things that just aren't polished and that as of right now, don't work correctly.

I think those of us who think so highly of this game (and yes I am certainly in that category) see the fun factor and the great potential in it while we are not bothered so much by the small issues. We can look at the bigger issues and feel confident that Trion will fix them. That is enough for us to love the game right now, as it is.

Others can't get past the current bugs and issues, which is understandable. I think that when it comes to the type of review you read from big time sites and so on, that first impression is HUGE. And I won't lie, Defiance didn't give a great first impression. Despite that a lot of us could see the potential and stuck it out, which I think will prove to be a good decision.

Big Worm
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM
i agree with this 5/10, maybe in 6 or 12 mounths it might make a 8 or 7 in my book, but only if trion dont just give up and not support the game anymore, if they keep working on the game it will be good in the long run with a higher score, but in real life alot of companys dont support there games anymore, if it was bad, but proove me wrong trion

Nerdy Ryuu
04-12-2013, 10:21 AM
all the reviews have been bad for this game, this game is lacking , but for a console mmo its fun for what we get.

I wish it had more stuff , seems like destiny will be more of a mmo. Social hubs and big cities Destiny will have as they posted on there twitter. Also their game wont be region locked.

QQueue
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
i think the more "casual gamers" take in the reviews more often than not. Granted this game isn't a perfect 10 in graphics or sound but its a 10 in untapped potential for fun. At this stage in the current console potential for fun > pretty looks.

I'll take a harem of 6s to 8s when it comes to the ladies cuz chances are there will be lots of fun to be had...no one wants to waste time catering to a cpl of 10s to keep them happy...seriously...they'd just nag ya to death...

Dragon's Dogma and Defiance are two gems that i found that didn't get the best "reviews" anytime you can lose yourself for hours and not realize its been 2 hrs since you've sat down...then you know you've found a heck of a game.

+1 For the whole comment.

KaleCabbage
04-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I generally base how good a game is on the community. If I go in IGN or Gamespot, I look at what the average score that the community gives. I feel like the opinions of 1000 people are more reliable than a single reviewer. (most of the time)

Vhailas
04-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Sometimes your head or your gun disappears for 10 seconds after a cut-scene.
I created a new character and had one of the RMT heads equipped after creation, and until I logged out. Then it reverted to having nothing equipped. It was ugly anyway.

LALLY
04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
its far to soon for anyone to be scoring this game, its not fair for a new mmo to get a score this soon, at least let them iron out the bugs and do a couple major patches.....oxm gave defiance the same score they gave colonial marines.........says it all really,

Barrik
04-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Here it is, 5/10!

HORRIBLE review by someone who didn't know what they were doing while playing the game (see vehicle not moving part)
Game shouldn't even be reviewed fully until 3rd or 4th week, as with most "mmo" type game. Reviewer is a d'bag

Nintenja
04-12-2013, 12:28 PM
I read player reviews personally. Which have been quite good. Professional reviews tend to be to critical on all the wrong issues. Like whining about lag after the games has been out for two days.

Barrik
04-12-2013, 12:31 PM
all the reviews have been bad for this game, this game is lacking , but for a console mmo its fun for what we get.

I wish it had more stuff , seems like destiny will be more of a mmo. Social hubs and big cities Destiny will have as they posted on there twitter. Also their game wont be region locked.

I wouldn't take any of the reviews seriously atm. If you really dig into them, the reviewer says the game is fun and keeps playing it, but then they give it a bad score because of easily fixed bugs or things they just didn't understand. Just sayin, the game atm is a 10/10 for me because of how much I enjoy it, realistically I find it at 7/10 for things that need fixing.

AGuyWithNoName
04-12-2013, 12:33 PM
anytime you can lose yourself for hours and not realize its been 2 hrs since you've sat down...then you know you've found a heck of a game.

Something I've been noticing happening when it comes to playing this game. Get off of work, head home and wind down. Boot up and say to myself, "I'll just play for MAYBE two hours", this is around 11:30 pm. Next thing I know the first rays of the morning sun are creeping in through the blinds and I look to see that it's almost 6:00 a.m.
"Schtako!"

Glad to see I'm not the only one with odd barometers for my gaming habit.

LALLY
04-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Ive said this before and ill say it again, I wish scores did not exist at all, just a decent review of the product, scores are
misleading in many cases, if reviewers HAVE to score games, maybe some info on how they achieve that score would be nice, because at the moment its just them going.........'yeh I quite liked it but its not great, ill put down a 7, erh actually no a 6, yeh 6' its completely pointless. all I want is a REVIEW, I don't need a pointless score to go with it.

HandyCapp
04-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Ditto and may I add a third gem that started out with very poor reviews and comments of "game ending bugs", that being Dead Island which I really enjoyed and even repurchased the 15 game of the year edition to help out a friend.