PDA

View Full Version : Defiance: To be or not to be?

Attila
10-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Clarification: I don't question if the TV series or the game will be finished, my concern is how it will be done.

Since the announcement of the project it was stated that the TV series will influence the game world, and also players via the game will be able to influence the TV series. Recently however it is often commented upon this in a way that makes it questionable how much, if at all, will be true.

From Destructoid:
“Four years ago, both we and Syfy knew we were going to do this, but we were like, ‘How the hell are we going to do this?’”

Rob Hill, senior producer at Trion Worlds, is standing on the terrace of the Park Hyatt hotel in Toronto, Ontario. The sky is overcast and the air is freezing. This was supposed to be Defiance’s big coming out party, but it’s starting to feel like a reminder that winter is coming. That time of year when TV productions in Toronto come to a halt and game designers work more than sleep to make a spring release happen. One can say, Defiance is getting it from both ends.

As a result, Hutzel is working closely with Trion to make compromises on both ends that make sense. If a six-legged creature is too hard to animate in the game, the developers give the creature insect legs instead. In some cases, enemies and characters won’t appear identical. Colors in the game may be more vivid, while the show goes for a more muted presentation. The goal is to avoid confusion and disassociation, while making Defiance work as a game and show.

“Early on, I called what I was doing open architecture design for the show,” Hutzel says. “Even if we don’t have an immediate plan for the game, let’s design everything we do for the show so it flows smoothly across development of the game."

Despite early rumors that players would be able to directly influence the TV series, Syfy’s producers have made a firm stance during the set visit that this will not be the case. However, Hill is confident that Trion will have more freedom to experiment in season two, by including more drastic player choices and highlighting specific characters in story sequences (though, it was unclear if this would be limited to in-game cutscenes).

“The TV show is not choose your own adventure […] We know what we are doing in the TV show. This is about creating great satisfying drama,” executive producer Kevin Murphy says, during one of many panels throughout the day. “These two experiences holistically create a larger experience. If you’re a gamer watching the show, you’ll go: “Oh wow! So that’s where that went?”

Read the original, full article at http://www.destructoid.com/going-all-in-defiance-is-syfy-and-trion-s-biggest-gamble-236904.phtml#PS9HUjdGCglYj5Lw.99

I may be wrong, but as I read this statement, to me it sounds as if Trion will make the "cinematic promotional game version of the TV series" as the game, where as SyFy already planned out what the TV show will be like, and what the story of it will be, what kind of events will happen. So in the end, choices won't matter, kinda reminds me of the whole Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco.

So, will Defiance have a different color-based ending scene depending on what players in the game do? (Using a bad "nightmarish" possibility to highlight the issue)
Just how much is player involvement important?

Escyos
10-21-2012, 12:09 PM
The events in the game do not affect the show and vice versa, some minor things do cross over such as a plague, razor rain etc. Its not like you can log in and suddenly by killing another player you will drastically alter the show. By the time they both start everything will be filmed already, and they will not change things.

vampero
10-21-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm indifferent about it and don't care if the TV show does not have a real impact on the game. If the TV show fails that does not mean the game will stop too. I just want a great playing FPS/MMO and Defiance is looking that way.

Siantlark
10-21-2012, 01:05 PM
It's disappointing that the game won't be able to influence the show in the way that was promised but as long as the game doesn't turn into some crappy tie in for the SyFy show the game should still be good enough to stand on it's own.

Jenbuu
10-21-2012, 01:16 PM
remember tho its also been noted that the game will be like series 1.5 as the game goes from series one to two there could be some points there where the game can influence the tv show

Shadinaxx
10-21-2012, 01:37 PM
As I understood it, the way players can "influence" the show was more along the lines of getting a "name drop" and perhaps a player (or group of players) is able to come up with a good solid tactic that is later used in a future episode on the tv show (such asn such group out in SF did this...) that helps the group in the tv series overcome near impossible odds.

I think some people let their imagination run wild to think that can alter the show (shoot the progenators and alter the show's future), or force a differant overall outcome of the show's direction. I dont think anything has changed from what the original plan was, but they DO have their work cut out for them. I'm very excited to see how they pull things together.

Nightbreaker
10-21-2012, 01:39 PM
remember tho its also been noted that the game will be like series 1.5 as the game goes from series one to two there could be some points there where the game can influence the tv show

Yup some events will follow in Season 2, but season 1 is already in production. No individual players will be mentioned but characters in the show will sometimes leave and appear in the game and vise versa.

RexxDoom
10-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Yeah I don't see the extreme crossovers happening like some people assume. I think it's gonna be small things with a couple of big events like the plague and razor rain, etc. I'm excited about this and remember this has never been done before, there's gonna be some feeling out process to see what works and what don't. We will have the privilege to see how some of these events unfold and maybe by season 2, we will see alot more cooler connections between show and game. Can't wait!

Thentilian
10-21-2012, 05:35 PM
I had wondered about that in my post in the general section. It makes sense that they can't possibly fit anything in from the game during season 1. But something or tidbits of things going into season 2 would be cool.

I'm sure there will be alot of things that won't work but forging ahead in unchartered territory is going to bring it's set of problems. But as many early pioneers did in history, they didn't allow that to stop them. Hopefully they do not let those hurdles stop them here either.

Escyos
10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
I had wondered about that in my post in the general section. It makes sense that they can't possibly fit anything in from the game during season 1. But something or tidbits of things going into season 2 would be cool.

I'm sure there will be alot of things that won't work but forging ahead in unchartered territory is going to bring it's set of problems. But as many early pioneers did in history, they didn't allow that to stop them. Hopefully they do not let those hurdles stop them here either.

They won't change the show. They planned event ahead of time so that when something happens in the show, it will show up in the game or vice versa. People seem to think that they can play and change the show to their liking and assume that people are going to ruin the show by playing the game.

JellyBean
11-10-2012, 01:55 PM
There's a ton of possibilities to play with both worlds especially over time on the interaction between the game and the show. The biggest time for the game to impact the show will be off season for sure to give the writers play with how the show will react to in game events