PDA

View Full Version : New Race DLC - Starting Over?

Viryu
04-12-2013, 08:46 AM
From what I've read, one of the DLCs included with the season pass will be a new race. I'd like to skip speculations on what the new race will be and touch a different subject. New race means having to start over with a new character and repeat everything anew that your main character has already been through. Don't you think it's a tad waste of DLC for people who had season pass and have played for the whole time before? Do you also hope there will be other "additions" to that DLC that would somehow compensate for people who do not want to start anew? How do you think it will all look when it's released?

Kitten Mittons
04-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Well theoretically, since there are no variations in game mechanics between race or gender, it would be possible for them to add an item to the store that just lets you totally redo your character's physical appearance down to their race. Of course, that's just speculation and I don't feel that it's very likely.

BleakPanther
04-12-2013, 08:58 AM
If its Sensoth, I'm game!

hardy83
04-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I would hope they let you change it. I see little reason to play an alt.
Like the Secret World, you can technically get every skill and perk, so why bother with alts?

NeoDraven
04-12-2013, 09:08 AM
I would hope they let you change it. I see little reason to play an alt.
Like the Secret World, you can technically get every skill and perk, so why bother with alts?

They already touched this before and the answer was no, you want to play a new race you gotta start a new character.

Napalm Sunrise
04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Well theoretically, since there are no variations in game mechanics between race or gender, it would be possible for them to add an item to the store that just lets you totally redo your character's physical appearance down to their race. Of course, that's just speculation and I don't feel that it's very likely.

Exactly, this would be ideal. What would have been more ideal were slight passive racial traits to begin with. That way there might be some reason to try the different races and just stick with the ones that feel worth the time investment.

Viryu
04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
They already touched this before and the answer was no, you want to play a new race you gotta start a new character.

Could you link me?

ANTIDEAD
04-12-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't understand the aversion to playing through the content again if you want to be this new race. If you enjoy the game enough to get the dlc, playing through the missions again shouldn't be a big deal.

Anim
04-12-2013, 10:09 AM
I don't understand the aversion to playing through the content again if you want to be this new race. If you enjoy the game enough to get the dlc, playing through the missions again shouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah totally, because repeating the same old stuff but with a different race underneath that helmet is new and improved content that was talked about pre-release.

Dark Imperium
04-12-2013, 10:09 AM

The Pursuits should be Shared thru your whole Account, because redoing them all is gonna be such a friggin pain...
But beside that, I will prolly start over if the new race is cool enough to feel worth rolling an alt.

B_Draco
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM

It's having to get everything back, your pursuits, challenges, weapons, cars, etc.

There are people that have hit high EGO, spent tons of real money on bits, gotten rare stuff, clan management, list goes on lol.

Kroktar
04-12-2013, 10:19 AM
this is were "MMO" services should go in...but not frakking expensive like wow lol.

Buu
04-12-2013, 10:22 AM
If its Sensoth, I'm game!
Considering we play along Torc, that's my guess too. And I want to play as Sensoth, too.
But honestly, I don't think there's a SINGLE new race in the season pass. I would guess 2 or 3 new.

B_Draco
04-12-2013, 10:24 AM
this is were "MMO" services should go in...but not frakking expensive like wow lol.

The main issue is why should we have to start over? Kinda dumb to pull this when a lot of people have gotten really far into Defiance... I DO NOT wanna redo every race circuit to get my Black Dodge Challenger back, NOOOO WAY...

SlashZaku
04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't understand the aversion to playing through the content again if you want to be this new race. If you enjoy the game enough to get the dlc, playing through the missions again shouldn't be a big deal.Someone mentioned race specific passives which I think would have/make people more open to new characters but then again, with just Human & Irathient as the only ones out the gate, it'd make little sense on launch without a larger pool to choose from.

The game has avoided the race specific traits and 'classes' though to allow you more freedom (if I want to try out explosives later in the game, I won't be hampered by my race/class going forward, etc.).

Jackobite
04-12-2013, 10:26 AM
The Pursuits should be Shared thru your whole Account, because redoing them all is gonna be such a friggin pain...
But beside that, I will prolly start over if the new race is cool enough to feel worth rolling an alt.

Hmmm not sure about that, to link Pursuits then they would have to think about linking Ego since alot of my ego comes from finished pursuits.

I prob will also do a new guy tho, IF the race looks the part,
I messed up my main guy, didnt see the hair options, small issue tho since im usually in a full helmet.

Shima
04-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Well unlike a lot of games the achievement system is tied directly into the character progression (EGO Rating) so that makes it more than just 'do all the quests again' - it's more like do EVERYTHING again.

Dark Imperium
04-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Hmmm not sure about that, to link Pursuits then they would have to think about linking Ego since alot of my ego comes from finished pursuits.

Well unlike a lot of games the achievement system is tied directly into the character progression (EGO Rating) so that makes it more than just 'do all the quests again' - it's more like do EVERYTHING again.

What I was thinking is... Pursuits could make available a Package to claim in the Defiance Store, like all the Arkfall/Pre-Order Codes. So, when starting a new Toon, you can claim all the junk youve unlocked on your other Toons. (and possibly the corresponding EGO Rating)

Anyway, was my 2$ :cool:

ANTIDEAD
04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
The pursuits I can agree with but I think missions should start over if you decide to change your race. Otherwise you're not really playing a character, you're just playing an account. And it kind of removes any sense of character identity.

B_Draco
04-12-2013, 10:45 AM
What I was thinking is... Pursuits could make available a Package to claim in the Defiance Store, like all the Arkfall/Pre-Order Codes. So, when starting a new Toon, you can claim all the junk youve unlocked on your other Toons. (and possibly the corresponding EGO Rating)

Anyway, was my 2$ :cool:

No I think it'll be restart from scratch as a new race, no transferring your stuff, resetting everything you worked for.

B_Draco
04-12-2013, 10:46 AM
The pursuits I can agree with but I think missions should start over if you decide to change your race. Otherwise you're not really playing a character, you're just playing an account. And it kind of removes any sense of character identity.

Dear god I hope so, I don't wanna start over again...

Buu
04-12-2013, 10:48 AM
So... YOU, as in YOU, can chose to do such way preserving such sense, regardless of what other people are doing.

But nonetheless you think that EVERYONE should be forced artificially to do the same, perhaps because your vision is the right and everyone should conceive to that.

No, thanks, I don't think it's cool to be forced to other people's vision, when they are not forced into mine.

Pyth
04-12-2013, 10:51 AM
I would really hope that they'd give us the option to remake our characters considering how much grinding is involved to increase your EGO rank.

No scruggin' way am I dropping any cash on the DLC unless they let us do that. They can add an in game scrip charge to discourage frequent character resetting, but for the love of God Trion, don't make us go through hours upon hours of grinding repetitive shtako again.

SlashZaku
04-12-2013, 10:54 AM
I would really hope that they'd give us the option to remake our characters considering how much grinding is involved to increase your EGO rank.

No scruggin' way am I dropping any cash on the DLC unless they let us do that. They can add an in game scrip charge to discourage frequent character resetting, but for the love of God Trion, don't make us go through hours upon hours of grinding repetitive shtako again.25k Scrip, 25k Salvage, 75 Keys for Character Changes (race and/or name; add shops/vendors to change hair/face features for a way lesser cost if that's all you want to do).

Viryu
04-12-2013, 10:57 AM
25k Scrip, 25k Salvage, 75 Keys for Character Changes (race and/or name; add shops/vendors to change hair/face features for a way lesser cost if that's all you want to do).

If such an option was ever allowed, they'd definitely go for your bits. Read - money. As if paying for DLC/Season Pass/ultimate Edition (chose the right one) wasn't enough.

Psykosis
04-12-2013, 11:09 AM
a proper DLC for a mmo is an Expansion pack ie, add a new city to explore, more story, more side missions, etc. Trion u have a great opertunity to expand on this game don't blow it out of the water by not releasing more areas to go to, one thing u wanna tackle is keeping people playing, like I said add more story, more exploring, etc this will keep people online with this. Example look at guild wars 2, hell look at Final Fantasy 11 Online they had 6 expansion each one adding more cities and areas

Exes
04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
I personally would start a new character if the game actually would have any kind of incentive for doing so. If pursuits were global I could level up again using different weapons, or if characters would be at least a bit distinct by choice the player makes (starting "class" is non-relevant).

Viryu
04-12-2013, 11:13 AM
a proper DLC for a mmo is an Expansion pack ie, add a new city to explore, more story, more side missions, etc. Trion u have a great opertunity to expand on this game don't blow it out of the water by not releasing more areas to go to, one thing u wanna tackle is keeping people playing, like I said add more story, more exploring, etc this will keep people online with this. Example look at guild wars 2, hell look at Final Fantasy 11 Online they had 6 expansion each one adding more cities and areas

They could go the way DC Universe went, by adding new instances and missions along with single powers/weapons (here - race). Though in case of this "race" DLC, I'd really hope it would NOT be necessary to be that given race.

thebigrig
04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
I don't see any reason why any new races added couldnt have their own set of powers and perks. It seems like any easy way to introduce a class system to the game.

Evilution
04-12-2013, 11:18 AM
The only way I would make an alt for new races, would be if they had a different Ego grid and powers. No way I would go through all the same content and levelling, just for cosmetic purposes.

Shismar
04-12-2013, 11:29 AM
From previous dev comments, sorry no links, I derive that characters of the new race have to start fresh. In classic MMOs, this would usually mean they get their own starting area so that at least the early content is new. I don't think this will be the case here. Neither do I expect any race specific perks. So the new race experience will be rather boring.

To improve on this situation, it may really be a good idea to keep the pursuits and just reset the missions. Yes, this would mean that the character would start at a much higher EGO level. I see no harm in that. Quite the opposite, a welcome legs up for the new character with more inventory space, better weapon selection, unlocked coops and contracts.

Exes
04-12-2013, 11:32 AM
From previous dev comments, sorry no links, I derive that characters of the new race have to start fresh. In classic MMOs, this would usually mean they get their own starting area so that at least the early content is new. I don't think this will be the case here. Neither do I expect any race specific perks. So the new race experience will be rather boring.

To improve on this situation, it may really be a good idea to keep the pursuits and just reset the missions. Yes, this would mean that the character would start at a much higher EGO level. I see no harm in that. Quite the opposite, a welcome legs up for the new character with more inventory space, better weapon selection, unlocked coops and contracts.

Interesting suggestion. Resetting the whole game except for pursuits, weapon and vehicle skills so nothing of value is lost is something I would strongly consider doing.

Yokai
04-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Trion, if you're keeping tabs on threads like these to "check the pulse" of the community, I for one BEG you to at least give us the option to start fresh or simply treat the new race as a "cosmetic change". I don't care if I have to buy bits to do it, but given the "no classes" design of this game (Just like in The Secret World), there is no logical reason whatsoever to -force- players to start completely over just because they want to enjoy the look and feel of a new racial skin.

Just give us the -option- to choose what WE individually prefer. Hell, make some money off it. That way, you make EVERYONE happy and you PISS OFF no one.

fishboy11
04-12-2013, 11:40 AM

its not about playing through the missions again, its about the hundreds of hours it takes to do the pursuits

B_Draco
04-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Interesting suggestion. Resetting the whole game except for pursuits, weapon and vehicle skills so nothing of value is lost is something I would strongly consider doing.

One problem, your stuff requires EGO rank... So unless EGO gets transferred or you get an option to reset your race while playing, you just gonna be hoarding stuff you can't use for a long time...

Defy
04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
well there will also be new content so u could do that with the new race

Echoe
04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Prob won't get it but a new race with a new/alternate ego power in the grid would be a fat incentive to reroll.

B_Draco
04-12-2013, 12:18 PM
All in short Trion better damn well let us keep our stuff, cause I hope our character races are purely cosmetic.

Prob won't get it but a new race with a new/alternate ego power in the grid would be a fat incentive to reroll.

If that's the case and we have to start over to get a new EGO power, fine I'll do it.

Thr0nes
04-12-2013, 12:23 PM
My 2 cents....

The EGO persona is based off of a DNA sample taken from the user. What if you could transfer your EGO implant to another user, or simply transfer the EGO data between users. So.. an in game way to change races so to speak, or at least not lose progress.

Exes
04-12-2013, 12:25 PM
One problem, your stuff requires EGO rank... So unless EGO gets transferred or you get an option to reset your race while playing, you just gonna be hoarding stuff you can't use for a long time...

Not entirely true, according to the player hub 600 out of my 1322 ego are from experience, the rest is from pursuits and skills. Regardless you could even keep your ego level, no harm done. Only thing you gain is the option to redo all quests again.

Technodude
04-12-2013, 12:27 PM
The new races in DLC makes no sense since you can do everything on one character. That is the whole design philosophy behind character and skill design that players keep playing to max all their skills. That is the carrot in this game.

Why would anyone roll an alt and go through all content? makes no sense really.

Anim
04-12-2013, 12:32 PM

I found one reason, currently doing Nim at the lowest EGO possible to prove people wrong as to how they need X and Y to be able to kill him.

ANTIDEAD
04-14-2013, 09:06 AM
So... YOU, as in YOU, can chose to do such way preserving such sense, regardless of what other people are doing.

But nonetheless you think that EVERYONE should be forced artificially to do the same, perhaps because your vision is the right and everyone should conceive to that.

No, thanks, I don't think it's cool to be forced to other people's vision, when they are not forced into mine.

That goes both ways so don't get sanctimonious on me. If they allow characters to just switch their race/gender/name at the cost of some bits, then EVERYONE is forced into your vision.

A game world where race is purely cosmetic and where you see a player using the new race and you realize he probably just paid to switch his human character over. That's what everyone will be forced into if they go that route.

Munx
04-14-2013, 09:16 AM
The new races in DLC makes no sense since you can do everything on one character. That is the whole design philosophy behind character and skill design that players keep playing to max all their skills. That is the carrot in this game.

Why does everything have to make sense -.-, I love my alt!

Xyr3s
04-14-2013, 09:20 AM
if they dont add a race change this game might probably die cos no one would even bother buying DLCs..... imagine starting a new char and ding the same linear story again with the same skills, the same side missions and the same challenges???? takes grinding to a whole other lvl lol.... it'd make wow look like a next gen mmo :p

warning this is just one fictitious probability....

imo ppl would rather play their old toon and use the free dlc content rather than pay for the DLC just for a new race that u have to start from the begining again.... im sure lots of people wouldnt miss the dlc loot enough just to buy the dlc for the looot... and then trion might make all dlc content buy only... including missions and map areas cos ppl are not buying the DLCs..... and then GGWP

Alliiara
04-14-2013, 10:55 AM
I would much rather a race-change then a do-over. Mainly because I won't be able to re-gain the items from episode missions (like the Nolan and Irisa outfits) and I want to keep the same name.

Alechiel
04-15-2013, 03:50 AM

People will reroll so they can look different.
It's like saying it's dumb to reroll Blood elf on WoW when BC hits, because your blood elf rogue has the same skills as an undead rogue.

Anim
04-15-2013, 04:02 AM
It's like saying it's dumb to reroll Blood elf on WoW when BC hits, because your blood elf rogue has the same skills as an undead rogue.

Did they ditch race specific powers then? And change the starter zones? Also the models in Defiance all look fairly identical under the armour and helmets you get.

Tero
04-15-2013, 04:08 AM
I would much rather a race-change then a do-over. Mainly because I won't be able to re-gain the items from episode missions (like the Nolan and Irisa outfits) and I want to keep the same name. When you put it this way it makes it likely they will allow a reset option. I know for certain if I cannot change my main characters look I will not buy the DLC.

Tero
04-15-2013, 04:09 AM
Did they ditch race specific powers then? And change the starter zones? Also the models in Defiance all look fairly identical under the armour and helmets you get.

Sensoths (Torc) are actually about 1 foot taller than Irathient and humans.

Blackwolfe
04-15-2013, 04:12 AM
I'm betting on Castithians.. but first, they should ban all elf names.. I don't want to see Legolassssssxxx running around ;)

Talon Swiftshot
04-15-2013, 04:19 AM
I don't see any point in changing up race either. The twi current races bring nothing different to the table, just aesthetics. I imagine, like the Irathians and humans, they will use the exactly same voices too. >.<

Alechiel
04-15-2013, 05:51 AM

If they all look identical, why would you create a character with the new race exactly ? This makes no sense.

Anim
04-15-2013, 05:55 AM
If they all look identical, why would you create a character with the new race exactly ? This makes no sense.

You may be new around here, I dont agree with the fanboy mindset that a new race to do the exact same old content with the same old helmet is worth of being considered 'new content'.

Technodude
04-15-2013, 05:57 AM

With blood elf rogue gives you your own separate skills, a separate starting area, armor, weapons etc.

Defiance isn't designed that way, you have exactly same content and skills to go thorough because there are no roadblocks based on your species.

So yep to me a game where you can do everything on one character, rolling an alt just to look different makes little sense.

Munx
04-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Oh god, I am so making a castithan now only to name him Legolas!

Buu
04-15-2013, 06:05 AM
Oh god, I am so making a castithan now only to name him Legolas!
They are more like Monk Silas from Da Vinci's Code.

Evilution
04-15-2013, 06:07 AM
I don't see any point in changing up race either. The twi current races bring nothing different to the table, just aesthetics. I imagine, like the Irathians and humans, they will use the exactly same voices too. >.<
One thing that annoyed me in game, was that our character never speaks once, yet you have emotes which speak. Sometimes I just felt why would you go along with some of this stuff without even saying a word or debating the matter at hand. Then I thought maybe he's mute, but when I first did an emote, that thought went out the window :p

DeMoted
04-15-2013, 06:08 AM

Lol actually it makes sense to reroll in WoW... They did it best when it came to that. This game fails to do any of that it is the exact same from start to end. By bringing up WoW you actually made a stronger case for not making a new character.

Buu
04-15-2013, 06:09 AM
One thing that annoyed me in game, was that our character never speaks once, yet you have emotes which speak. Sometimes I just felt why would you go along with some of this stuff without even saying a word or debating the matter at hand. Then I thought maybe he's mute, but when I first did an emote, that thought went out the window :p

our characters are just extras. Extras can talk only behind the cameras. LOL.

Alechiel
04-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Lol actually it makes sense to reroll in WoW... They did it best when it came to that. This game fails to do any of that it is the exact same from start to end. By bringing up WoW you actually made a stronger case for not making a new character.

As I said, none is forcing people to make new characters, if you feel like this is boring, you dont do it.
It's just beyond me to see people requesting from Trion to cut the grind, when this game is a lot about grind in the first place.

Rasczak
04-15-2013, 08:51 AM
You know, this reminds me of DCUO. In that game, you have to grind FEATS. Feats are tied directly to Skill Points, which also advance your character and are necessary as you get higher tier gear (gear, alone, is not enough). Feats award 10, 25, and 50 points. The higher the points, the worse the grind. Every 100 Feat Points = 1 skill point.

Anyway, getting the necessary skill points is mind numbing, and does not inspire the creation of Alts. People have been asking for them to be linked to account for 2 years now. SOE says no, and for very valid reasons. However, they did add in a complete power respec token into the cash shop for $10. What this does is, say you are a Fire Tank and want to be a Time Control Controller when the new DLC hits. You spend the $10, and choose the new power, which replaces your Fire set. Caveat there is, you likely have Tier-X Tank gear, and will now need Tier-X Controller gear. Well, you don't get the new gear. Have find grinding the tier sets again.

Defiance doesn't have the gear Tiers. So, after thinking about it, I see no reason they can't just add in a Race Respec token of some sort to the cash shop. Especially since it is only cosmetic in this game to begin with (unlike in DCUO).

If you've played DC Universe Online, you'll immediately recognize many aspects of that game they straight-up borrowed for Defiance anyway. So, I say: Why not?

Krileon
04-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Race has absolutely no significance to gameplay (no bonuses, special items, nothing..). Your character doesn't even speak during cutscenes. There's absolutely no reason to not allow people to change their appearance and this is often an extremely popular item in item shop games so they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't add it. I suspect they will. Maybe not when the new race first releases, but surely later down the road.

jshadeck
04-23-2013, 08:15 AM
If the new species dont have any race specific traits, then the larger character models vs the very small ones will be larger targets in pvp...

Viryu
04-23-2013, 08:22 AM
The price shouldn't be higher than that of outfits as well. Remember that most of the time you see only the character's head, and even then only when you decide not to wear a helmet. Unless they finally decide to implement unique perks and abilities depending on the race.

Yenkin
04-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Nope, why bother to try a new race, other than looking different, there is no race trait that differentiates various races. In fact, without levels, there is no sense of getting more powerful, I know we get more ego perks but beyond maxing out the ones you use, and quite frankly the extra percent generation, when you are getting pounded by a continuous stream of missles or gernades is not going to help you.

Quite frankly, I should have waited to the review from Gamespot, basically any game under 80% has always been undewhelming. While basically I think this game is fun, but after 3 weeks I am looking forward to the open Beta from Neverwinter nights.

Viryu
05-14-2013, 09:16 AM
With the new race retexture announced, and the option to change your race with the most expensive pack bought for real money, do you guys think the DLC owners should have 1 race change available for free?