PDA

View Full Version : Cloak

xA5x
03-09-2013, 05:59 AM
:confused:My question is, how good is cloak. Let me be more specific. Can you see me, at all?

Thee Apothecary
03-09-2013, 06:03 AM
i guess you can see wavy outlines if your looking for someone cloaking but it seems pretty hard to see someone using it but then it takes time to activate and breaks if you attack or get hit

xA5x
03-09-2013, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the info, thats a dealbreaker for me. look's like Blur, for me. "thanks again"

Dead_Phoenix
03-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Unless its changed cloak is 100% invisible, unless damaged. Then you're revealed. It only works in short bursts

xA5x
03-09-2013, 06:31 AM
what if you melee someone in combat, are you still cloaked...?

Bdtry
03-09-2013, 06:33 AM
What I heard in one of the streams is that it is active until either it runs out or you give or receive damage. If you give/receive damage it will turn off for a second then back on until its duration runs out.

Dead_Phoenix
03-09-2013, 06:34 AM

no your revealed. But after doing any damage, As long as your cloak hasn't run out, after a few seconds your recloaked.

This is what happens in the starter video

Escyos
03-09-2013, 07:03 AM
The way we are being shown is that your completely invisible to enemies but friendlies see you as a wavy outline.

IGears
03-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Predator like

xA5x
03-09-2013, 07:20 AM
So what is the sense of having cloak, if it is utterly useless....

Krumpski
03-09-2013, 07:31 AM
When you take/receive damage and go uncloaked, does the cloak timer still run or go "pause" while you're uncloaked and restart once you go back? BTW, this absolutely looks like the best skill, and with the perks around it extending the time, reducing cooldown and increasing damage.....hotdamn. I hope they have some dreads on a helmet.....predator style!!

BleakPanther
03-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Not totally useless just balanced. Hit and move. Hit from behind and kill or haul ***. Going to need some situational awareness to make the most of it. Invisible sniper or fleet-footed ganker. Think shotgunner "Where did he come from!?!" or sniper "Who the **** is shooting me!?!".

xA5x
03-09-2013, 07:41 AM
:pThink i might go Shotty. Hey behind you, "BOOM" lol.. whoops, sorry sucka!

Martin84
03-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Not totally useless just balanced. Hit and move. Hit from behind and kill or haul ***. Going to need some situational awareness to make the most of it. Invisible sniper or fleet-footed ganker. Think shotgunner "Where did he come from!?!" or sniper "Who the **** is shooting me!?!".

I plan on being that invisible snipe ;)

Odinswolf
03-09-2013, 07:46 AM
If anyone watched the live stream last night there was a great example of how cloak can be effective especially in pvp. Cloak+Shotty=WASTED

xA5x
03-09-2013, 07:49 AM
:D
If anyone watched the live stream last night there was a great example of how cloak can be effective especially in pvp. Cloak+Shotty=WASTEDlike....

DOOM996
03-09-2013, 07:57 AM
I love Cloak, thatīs why i love Crysis ;)
Nice to have it in Defiance as well, will be on top on my personal character mod list!

Dead_Phoenix
03-09-2013, 08:03 AM
:pThink i might go Shotty. Hey behind you, "BOOM" lol.. whoops, sorry sucka!

thats the point of cloak, that and line up shots in peace.

BleakPanther
03-09-2013, 08:07 AM
I like it too. Always play the stealth character in any game I play, first. Not always the best for sustained dps but burst is usually pretty silly. Give me a few seconds to get into position and "BOOM". Considering trying overcharge during the next beta but at release I'll probably be cloaked.

Desidus
03-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Its not unbalanced as decoy has a perk that uncloaks all people within a certain distance from yourself and cloak isn't fully invisible just hard to see and once you fire you are uncloaked.

Also from what I have seen if you get hit a little it seems to act like a pause, but if you get hit a lot it will interupt it. I could be wrong as I am just saying from what it looked like in the live streams/videos.

DarkKnyt29
03-09-2013, 08:27 AM

It wont be useless. Sometimes its very hard to pick out someone, even with the glimmer. Plus with all the action going on, you might miss it if youre not paying attention. Im an Overcharge man myself though, haha

xA5x
03-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Wow, Decisions decisions....:rolleyes:

Dead_Phoenix
03-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Wow, Decisions decisions....:rolleyes:

good thing is, in the tuturial you have to use all 4 at least once. and its easy to respec later and change your ego power.

xA5x
03-16-2013, 05:09 AM
Can you Imagine if there was, an platoon of players that all had Cloak. OMG, as soon as you go shoot at one of us, there would be another one of us behind you with a shotgun! It would be "Total Chaos, Mass and Disorder" hmm.. :oI love it!

Komakala
03-16-2013, 05:56 AM

No, when you attack someone you pop out of cloak then it tries to recloak. If you are damaged while it tries you'll remain visible, but it keeps trying to cloak until the timer runs out and the ability goes to cooldown. This is based on what I've seen on the livestreams, especially in the starting area, they have you try each of the unique abilities before you pick one.

Dead_Phoenix
03-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Can you Imagine if there was, an platoon of players that all had Cloak. OMG, as soon as you go shoot at one of us, there would be another one of us behind you with a shotgun! It would be "Total Chaos, Mass and Disorder" hmm.. :oI love it!

lol imagion a platoon with decoy? Think your fighting 64? Make that 128, it would be chaos

MadProffeser
03-16-2013, 09:26 AM
In one vid a guy standing just feet from some mutants cloaked then went into menu to change his gear. He switched from sniper to shotgun to deal with the close threat. With no pause this might come in really handy. Still not sold on cloak though.

Figma
03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
In one vid a guy standing just feet from some mutants cloaked then went into menu to change his gear. He switched from sniper to shotgun to deal with the close threat. With no pause this might come in really handy. Still not sold on cloak though.
Damn i didnt even think of that, im even more sold to use this

StickyChief
03-16-2013, 10:54 AM
A team of 64 all using Blur would be pretty insane for the enemy team.

Paladin
03-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Cloak can be upgraded to add an incredible amount of damage.

Foxhop
03-16-2013, 05:40 PM
It is not meant to be a god-mod. It, like everything else is balanced. Use it with tact and awareness to your surroundings and you will be good to go. Rely on it blindly and expect it to carry you / replace the need for skill and..well..we will mourn your death...after we loot the body of course. ;)

From what i have seen is it works best when standing still, though just like decoy, I have not yet seen it used by opposition so I don't know how it looks depending on teams. It could have a slight waver when moving, it could be 100% stealth. Either way, it mixed with the enemies not having annoying red 'shoot here' names above their head, it's all I need to stay out of sight. Boom, headshot. :p

xA5x
03-17-2013, 05:49 AM
It seems like the 2 weapons of choice for Cloak, will be shotgun and sniper/R

JerZey CJ
03-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Along with the damage bonus, when you activate Cloak, your shields immediately start to recharge. So if you're taking too much damage, activate cloak and get your shields back.

xA5x
03-17-2013, 05:57 AM
along with the damage bonus, when you activate cloak, your shields immediately start to recharge. So if you're taking too much damage, activate cloak and get your shields back.
i like it!:rolleyes:

JohnMcClane
03-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Every skill should have a weak spot or it would just be the infamous "i win button"
If Cloak was 100% it would be so OP everyone would use it making the game a puzzle point and click as all would be invisible ;)

kirix
03-17-2013, 10:42 AM
cloak is for ppl who like to play stealth / amubsh (like me).

use it either defensively to avoid fights and instantly regain shields.

or offensivly use it to cloak and run behind the target and hurt them.

not so great for snipers as u are already a long way away and would mostly use it to reloacate to avoid being camped by other snipers. this is for pvp obv in pve its kinda the same.

use it to break off npc attacks or positon yourself for huge bonuses.

all the perks have a use, for example the "decoy" is basicly the hologram from halo reach, perfect distraction for morons / NPC and so on and so forth.

just because YOU dont understand how it works or how it can be used do not meen it is bad oruseless. it just meens you suck :D

Desidus
03-17-2013, 10:48 AM
lol imagion a platoon with decoy? Think your fighting 64? Make that 128, it would be chaos

Ha ha ha.. That is EXACTLY what I was thinking when he said it... also coupled with that.. everyone carrying BMG with chain drain... ONE BIG MASSIVE lightning chain... now I want to see that....

Desidus
03-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Along with the damage bonus, when you activate Cloak, your shields immediately start to recharge. So if you're taking too much damage, activate cloak and get your shields back.

You're cloak won't activate if you are getting shot.. so you need to either dodge enough or hide somewhere to get it to turn on.

Desidus
03-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Do you guys know if decoy works on the turrets?

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 10:53 AM
You're cloak won't activate if you are getting shot.. so you need to either dodge enough or hide somewhere to get it to turn on.

he ment it can be used as an emergency shield recharge

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Do you guys know if decoy works on the turrets?

i believe so

Syc0tixZ
03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
spread rocket launcher + light machine gun + cloak(later coupled with overcharge) = who just killed my whole party

JerZey CJ
03-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Can't use two EGOs at one time, you would have to switch between loadouts, which involves going through multiple menus and is impractical mid-combat, even then you would have to wait for the first one to wear off.

Desidus
03-17-2013, 12:32 PM
i believe so

Sweet.. turrets could be semi annoying depending on their placement. Decoy would give two ways to more easily defeat turrets.. the obvious one is send it out and then run to the generator. The other is send the decoy to the generator and teleport to the generator. lol.

Paladin
03-17-2013, 12:33 PM
spread rocket launcher + light machine gun + cloak(later coupled with overcharge) = who just killed my whole party

Actually the would be the worst way. Rockets and LMGS do less damage then say a sniper rifle but have splash damage. So with a sniper you can easily 1 hit someone, just reload.

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Can't use two EGOs at one time, you would have to switch between loadouts, which involves going through multiple menus and is impractical mid-combat, even then you would have to wait for the first one to wear off.

you would need alot of ego points to unlock more then 1 abiltys to.

Desidus
03-17-2013, 12:39 PM
you would need alot of ego points to unlock more then 1 abiltys to.

Actually its not THAT many to unlock another ability... Just depends how you want to get there.

Syc0tixZ
03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
oh i didnt mean use at same time haha overcharge to kill all then after it runs off cloak and get away

this is my long term goal i should of said also

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 12:44 PM
oh i didnt mean use at same time haha overcharge to kill all then after it runs off cloak and get away

this is my long term goal i should of said also

to change load outs, you'll have to go to the load out screen. so for a few seconds you'll be standing there like a muppet. i think youll be dead before you can run :P

Syc0tixZ
03-17-2013, 12:52 PM
hah better hope i kill them all then

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 12:54 PM

get the biggest nastiest gun you have, and go to town :P

Desidus
03-17-2013, 12:55 PM

then why would you waste your cloak.. :) lol

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 12:56 PM
then why would you waste your cloak.. :) lol

to be like harry potter ofc

ironhands
03-19-2013, 01:30 PM

That's one of the overlooked aspects, you don't necessarily use it for stealth and sneaking in, use it to get the hell out of there and recharge your shields as you flee

xA5x
03-25-2013, 08:26 AM
I played the beta, and i like cloak. so.... I guess i will see you, before you see me. (corny joke) "I just couldn't help myself":o

Radz
03-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I started with Overcharge and it works well for my shotgun and even sniper, but my second EGO power unlock was Cloak. I'm going to make two builds with the same weapon loadout, but one that uses Overcharge and the other uses Cloak. Cloak will become standard and I'll use the Overcharge build for Arkfalls.

Ollam
03-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Cloak + SMG/Shotgun with the perk to do more damage while cloaked, and the perk to increase your cloak time on killing an enemy was golden for me in every mission.Oh an the perk for more critical hit damage from hip firing.

I like playing as the first entry into a room with my friends and get behind open up as they enter the room, baddies go bye bye. It's a good perk, sometimes against the big guys i wish i had overcharge, or Decoy if I have to turn on a generator and everything wants to see how I taste while I am fiddling with the console. Each have their bonuses and negative, but cloak is the one for me, it fits my underhand.......erm unique style >.>

Far_Too_Jones
03-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Cloak seemed like the obvious choice for PVP this weekend. Don't know if I saw anyone use decoy, but i didn't PVP a whole lot.

BleakPanther
03-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Meh. I'm still torn. I got some quality playtime with both overcharge and cloak. I have to decide if I enjoy making the mobs disappear or myself disappear more. Headshots raining down from the shadows or just blowing stuff up. Slow and methodical or fast paced destruction. Both builds had a sense of survivability in different ways and got the job done. I guess I'll flip a coin on release.

Ollam
03-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Meh. I'm still torn. I got some quality playtime with both overcharge and cloak. I have to decide if I enjoy making the mobs disappear or myself disappear more. Headshots raining down from the shadows or just blowing stuff up. Slow and methodical or fast paced destruction. Both builds had a sense of survivability in different ways and got the job done. I guess I'll flip a coin on release.

When I used cloak it was run and gun, activate run around a corner BAM!, duck behind run around another corner and BLAM! keep them guessing and dying.

xA5x
03-26-2013, 07:46 AM
There's only one thing i don't like on cloak, when you activate it should make a louder sound. Sometimes i didn't realize i activated it....:rolleyes:

JohnMcClane
03-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Sensor sweep (decoy) when activate decoy all nearby cloaked enemies are revealed .
10/20/30 metres

There is no OP all have counter measures :cool:

Homek
03-26-2013, 08:30 AM
I have another question about cloak.
The perk "Shadowed strike" gives 10/20/30% more damage while cloaked.
Do i get this bonus-damage just for the shots i'm actually literally cloaked, or do i get the bonus all the time while cloak is active?

elrick mercer
03-26-2013, 08:51 AM
That's one of the overlooked aspects, you don't necessarily use it for stealth and sneaking in, use it to get the hell out of there and recharge your shields as you flee

It can be used as both depends on the situation IMO

mcwjimbo
03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I started with Overcharge and it works well for my shotgun and even sniper, but my second EGO power unlock was Cloak. I'm going to make two builds with the same weapon loadout, but one that uses Overcharge and the other uses Cloak. Cloak will become standard and I'll use the Overcharge build for Arkfalls.

going cloak standard and overcharge for bosses, arkfalls ill mostly be healing BMG so maybe 3rd build go blur to move around to where needed the most with healz

Zraxus
03-26-2013, 11:38 AM

im going to use cloak and overcharge myself. different weapon loadouts tho.

cloak - shotty & sniper

overcharge - shotty and lmg. the overcharge gets rid of recoil. pull out the lmg and hold hte trigger down!

Eldarch
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
:confused:My question is, how good is cloak. Let me be more specific. Can you see me, at all?

I used cloak a lot in beta. I like that When I fire it cancels the cloak but if it's still active when you stop you go back into cloak, so with the shot gun it turned into a round of whack-a-mole.

When fighting other cloakers I could see their wavy lines when I was close to them if they were moving. I couldn't tell you how often I ran right pst my buddy in shadow war because he was standing still. Though sometimes if the light caught the edge of the figure just so it would distort the light giving away the entity. So I tried to stand in unlit areas and always approached toward the horizon to avoid that.

Cloaking was SO much fun, while I enjoyed all of the powers I had the most fun toying with people in cloak. Plus in the 4mans I was able to run past all the sentry turrets and disable them for my team, so I felt useful outside of pvp.

xA5x
03-29-2013, 08:54 AM
I used cloak a lot in beta. I like that When I fire it cancels the cloak but if it's still active when you stop you go back into cloak, so with the shot gun it turned into a round of whack-a-mole.

When fighting other cloakers I could see their wavy lines when I was close to them if they were moving. I couldn't tell you how often I ran right pst my buddy in shadow war because he was standing still. Though sometimes if the light caught the edge of the figure just so it would distort the light giving away the entity. So I tried to stand in unlit areas and always approached toward the horizon to avoid that.

Cloaking was SO much fun, while I enjoyed all of the powers I had the most fun toying with people in cloak. Plus in the 4mans I was able to run past all the sentry turrets and disable them for my team, so I felt useful outside of pvp.

Very helpful and informative insight on Cloak. Thank you:D

Pizzarugi
03-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Cloak also has it's uses outside of PvP. Simply being able to cloak away from a large crowd in order to give yourself time to escape and position yourself to attack has its uses in missions and great for getting arkfall bosses off your back.

smetch
03-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Its borderline OP in PvP, I expect a lot of people will be using it.

zartanyen
03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Can you use cloak to get a guided rocket off of you or no?
Example someone locks on to me and shoots a guided rocket if I use my cloak after the rocket has been fired will it still track me or not ?

xA5x
03-29-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm Curious,:rolleyes: I would like see if the developers can possibly give us a Percentage, of how many players used cloak? I'm sure a few of you out there would like to know as well...? Maybe "Oveur" (Nathan Richardson. VP Dev). can provide that information.???;) I just got a Email from him after all? P.S. I would like to thank all of the 150 people who worked on this project..!!!

xA5x
04-11-2013, 02:01 AM
Can you use cloak to get a guided rocket off of you or no?
Example someone locks on to me and shoots a guided rocket if I use my cloak after the rocket has been fired will it still track me or not ?

yes, NPC'S can do it. it was done to me...

Keylawler
04-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Cloak + Shotgun is the only thing people do in PvP because they can't aim for **** with any other guns. I love using Overcharge and having some cloak moron unload on me from behind and I just turn and 1 shot him. Cloak is for the newbs who need to get the jump on people in order to have a chance.

xA5x
04-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Cloak + Shotgun is the only thing people do in PvP because they can't aim for **** with any other guns. I love using Overcharge and having some cloak moron unload on me from behind and I just turn and 1 shot him. Cloak is for the newbs who need to get the jump on people in order to have a chance.
If everyone is using cloak, then you should have no problem leveling up. Bonus for you Right?

B_Draco
04-12-2013, 08:06 AM

Cloak isn't useless, at a distance your virtually invisible to the naked eye. Closer ranges show a glassy figure of yourself, thus easier to spot you. Dealing damage reveals you temporarily, but you can easily hide while re-cloaking to avoid being revealed by gunfire or other types of attack.

Fuzzy Skinner
04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Played a bunch of PVP last night, and yeah, cloak has an upper hand over all other powers in PVP. Nearly 90% of all players seem to use cloak+shotty and I'm going to yell "over powered" on this one. Sure, you can combat it and it's not an "I win button", but it's not far off.
I'm sure someone will defend it saying it's balanced because whatever, but the reality is every other power requires a lot more strategy to use than just running behind people and go "BOOM" over and over again. I use decoy with the radar sweep as my own personal form of Defiance against the cloak shotty masses, but it's usefulness is limited and even with perks the cooldown can't keep up with the cloakers.
Over time perhaps I'll get better at countering the cloak+shotty crap, but it's does ruin PVP to an extent where more than half the time all the enemies are cloaking. Nothing ruins a multiplayer game more for me than having to basically face the same kind of player over and over again because no one is willing to take risks or get creative with their play style.

Napalm Sunrise
04-12-2013, 08:19 AM

There is a perk for Decoy users that negates Cloak entirely. Not sure if it's only when the decoy is active or if it's an always on passive bonus. Think it's called Scanning Range or something.

iCanHazHeadSh0t
04-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Cloak was not designed for a run n gun build, it was designed for a sniping build: Take your shot while cloaked, recloak and line up another shot, etc.

Fuzzy Skinner
04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Cloak was not designed for a run n gun build, it was designed for a sniping build: Take your shot while cloaked, recloak and line up another shot, etc.

Regardless what it was built for, it actual practice it favors the shotgun. If anyone actually used Cloak with sniper I'd have more respect for it. Why worry about lining up a long distance shot when you can just sneak up and spam the shotgun and kill more effectively?

Mirimon
04-12-2013, 08:58 AM
cloak breaks on taking substantial dmg, if you fire from cloak it will come back, if you INTERACT from cloak it drops off. You can spec for + to ego charge on kill, and then simply pull out your best sniper rifle and go at it for a long time.

still detectable, cloak can easily be thwarted by several ego abilities and other techniques..

demonichatered
04-12-2013, 09:14 AM
if you INTERACT from cloak it drops off.
still detectable, cloak can easily be thwarted by several ego abilities and other techniques..

came here to say this was wondering if it did it for other perks to i think i had blur drop for me when i tried to res a player

xA5x
04-14-2013, 05:48 AM
You can also throw a grenade why you are in Cloak, so cool...