PDA

View Full Version : Voice Chat

DC Zero
04-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I've been wondering for a while and I've seen other people ask about it. Is voice chat always on? When I go into my settings and turn voice chat off everytime I relog, am I turning off voice or just muting other players? I always assumed it was turning off but the new patch notes make me think otherwise.

Ashnon
04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
As far as I can see, even if it is off it is on until you set it to off again...that make sense? If I turn it off for a pvp match and then go into a second match I have to turn it to on then off again to stop hearing the mouth breathers and guys talking to there wife/kids.

DC Zero
04-12-2013, 10:50 AM
But is it really off? Or does the option in the settings just mute the other players but they can still hear you talking.

I dont like having a game automatically use my built-in mic. It makes me paranoid that random strangers are listening to me lol.

The new patch notes say they are giving PC players the option to turn voice off. I thought thats what we already had and thats why I'm now wondering.

Ashnon
04-12-2013, 10:53 AM
But is it really off? Or does the option in the settings just mute the other players but they can still hear you talking.

Good question. I just unplug my mic, but if you have a built in it may be best to mute it through the OS to be sure.

Interface
04-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Where is the option to turn voice chat off? Is it the Voice option in Audio settings? I thought that was for npc's.

Evauna
04-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Where is the option to turn voice chat off? Is it the Voice option in Audio settings? I thought that was for npc's.

I too am having issues with a built in mic... I didnt even know I had one on this laptop.. much less that defiance would AUTOMATICALLY use it without any sort of prompts or permissions... had no idea untill a group player told me my mic was on and he was getting feedback from it... so I went to my volume panel as that is where i would adjust a plugged in mic. and found I had an internal mic running... however I have no options in the settings for the mic. to mute it or turn it off... and I can not find in game where to turn it off at... so I am kinda worried/paranoid and stuck :(... If anyone has any answers to this please let me know.. I am running windows 7 os, Obviously PC Defiance, my internal mic is Integrated microphone Array:IDT High Definition Audio Codec(and in advanced settings it says something about "Andrea Electronics"?)... I could really use help... Thank you in advance!

Thank you, I figured out how to disable it in the OS shouldn't be giving me anymore trouble :)

Valris
04-19-2013, 04:59 AM
A couple ways you could disable your mic.

Right click the Speaker icon in the lower right corner of your taskbar, it should list Recording Devices. Open that up and right click the microphone and select Disable.

Or you can do it the long way by right clicking Computer > Properties > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers. It should list the mic there as well, you can just right click and disable there as well. That should disable it at the hardware level.

Back on topic, the past few days I haven't heard a peep from anyone's mic. I haven't changed any settings, so maybe I'm just getting near people who don't use a microphone like me :P