PDA

View Full Version : More Steam Pre-orders if Defiance just went closed beta

PowderedToastMan
03-09-2013, 01:24 PM
I've been following the game on steam for a few days now and been keeping track of the preorder bonuses. I'd say its around 10% through tier 1 and I definatly think with the game nearing release, if trion went closed beta for everyone that just buys the game, it would definatly raise that bar faster. Games like firefall have been in beta for nearly a year now and for the last few months its been in closed beta for anyone that buys the game for as little as 20 dollars.

Exes
03-09-2013, 01:30 PM
You do realize that you currently get a beta key if you pre-order?

iiReLaX o
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I've been following the game on steam for a few days now and been keeping track of the preorder bonuses. I'd say its around 10% through tier 1 and I definatly think with the game nearing release, if trion went closed beta for everyone that just buys the game, it would definatly raise that bar faster. Games like firefall have been in beta for nearly a year now and for the last few months its been in closed beta for anyone that buys the game for as little as 20 dollars.

It's at 10%. It won't be getting another 290% in 24 days at this pace. Doesn't bother me. I'm a console player. Pretty sure the pre-orders are going to stay at this pace because its already a closed beta.(Preordering earns the buyer a beta key)

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/NikeOnMyFeet23/PrepurchaseDefianceonSteam_zpsfc425947.png

Exes
03-09-2013, 01:33 PM
It's at 10%. It won't be getting another 390% in 24 days at this pace. Doesn't bother me. I'm a console player.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/NikeOnMyFeet23/PrepurchaseDefianceonSteam_zpsfc425947.png

You do not see any numbers but a percentage. Bars like that can and are easily manipulated by the company behind it. If valve thinks they will get more sales when it is close to completing Reward 2 for example, they will artificially push the bar to be right there. Also it would be 290% more not 390

iiReLaX o
03-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Also it would be 290% more not 390

You caught it before I could catch myself.

Desidus
03-09-2013, 01:37 PM
You caught it before I could catch myself.

Im still trying to figure out what your so damn happy about *looking at your avatar* lol.

iiReLaX o
03-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Im still trying to figure out what your so damn happy about *looking at your avatar* lol.

I don't know either lol.

Thee Apothecary
03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
i just want to see the steam preorder bar fall flat on its face and all the peeps who preordered there after changing there purchase place to be gutted they made the wrong decision by not supporting trion directly

Exes
03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
i just want to see the steam preorder bar fall flat on its face and all the peeps who preordered there after changing there purchase place to be gutted they made the wrong decision by not supporting trion directly

Honestly, it's the same price for me either way. I personally use steam a lot, so technically even without the extra rewards I personally gain a comfortability factor from having it there. Did not pre-order it anywhere yet though, trying to get the UE from amazon.co.uk shipped to my country cause it is so much cheaper.

Valethar
03-09-2013, 02:10 PM

I hacked the air conditioning and slipped in a Prozac nebulizer. I'm beta testing the delivery system on random people before I put my nefarious plan to take over the world into motion.

<<Evil Wicked Laughter>>

Meeks
03-09-2013, 02:24 PM

Its same pre-order bonuses as Trion but with the chance to get more. I don't see how anyone would be gutted if they didn't get the quad/rift xpac/truck

PowderedToastMan
03-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Ahh ok so the game is actually in closed beta. There was nothing stating that unless I just looked over it. So I can play right away then right?

Also, if it is closed beta, does anyone know if your data will be wiped pre-release.

iiReLaX o
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Ahh ok so the game is actually in closed beta. There was nothing stating that unless I just looked over it. So I can play right away then right?

The game currently has 2 forms, Alpha & Beta.

Alpha

Constantly running (Still running today)
Invite only
Constantly updated and primarily for Devs to test

Beta

Runs from Date A to Date B
Invite only/Closed Beta
Not Updated
Primarily for players to find bugs or stress test servers.
Last beta event has ended and the date for the next event has yet to be announced.

Ambic
03-09-2013, 05:54 PM
There's one beta weekend left. You can't play right away. And, if you don't get your beta key (which most people aren't getting theirs after purchase), then you won't be in the beta at all. There are a few 100-use beta codes floating around somewhere I'm sure. Try google, it might help.

Legende
03-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm guessing if they do it like most games are doing, and how they did it before Rift if I remember correctly, usually they'll have a short open beta just before release for everyone to play around with a bit.

GinsterUnit
03-09-2013, 06:11 PM

Dat Steam hate.

Spaisekraft
03-09-2013, 06:15 PM
I feel like they need to just switch to closed beta 24/7 now. 3 weeks is the perfect amount of time for a beta. I feel like it would bring in a lot of new pre-orders if people knew they could start playing the beta instead of waiting for some undetermined date for a beta that goes 2 days.

An alpha and NDA 3 weeks from launch is really suspicious to a lot of people. If I didn't know Trion's penchant for quality, I'd be worried too. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have never played a Trion game and don't have that faith in the company.

A s0t
03-09-2013, 06:20 PM
id like an invite open beta; like ghost recon future solider did, you needed the disk from splinter cell conviction. you could play on line mp.
this of course would be for consoles

SparklingNugs
03-09-2013, 06:21 PM

I'm glad you're faithful, and don't cheat on hubby Trion. Everyone should take their marriage vows as seriously as you, it would help with the high divorce rate!

Ambic
03-09-2013, 06:56 PM
I feel like they need to just switch to closed beta 24/7 now. 3 weeks is the perfect amount of time for a beta. I feel like it would bring in a lot of new pre-orders if people knew they could start playing the beta instead of waiting for some undetermined date for a beta that goes 2 days.

An alpha and NDA 3 weeks from launch is really suspicious to a lot of people. If I didn't know Trion's penchant for quality, I'd be worried too. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have never played a Trion game and don't have that faith in the company.

What's weird is they lifted the NDA on Warface, but they don't even have a release date set yet. That's what's funny about all this. Oh and Warface has a 24/7 beta. Why is Defiance any different? Both games are run by Trion.

Duskguy
03-09-2013, 07:01 PM
need to also remember NDA is important because the game ties into the show. lifting NDA may allow too much info on the show as well as just the game. hence they need to be cautious, afterall, you cant simply reapply the NDA, especially on the internet.

KaosPenguin
03-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Well from what I've been reading it seems like the NDA is hurting the pre-orders in general and the premium price has been hurting PC pre-orders (which is normal price for consoles) and so is the "season pass" for pc but that's a normal thing on consoles.

Duskguy
03-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Well from what I've been reading it seems like the NDA is hurting the pre-orders in general and the premium price has been hurting PC pre-orders (which is normal price for consoles) and so is the "season pass" for pc but that's a normal thing on consoles.

i agree, but if they ruin the show by lifting the NDA too soon, they risk losing a whole lot more than a few game sales. because lets admit it, as many or more people watch TV than game.

would've liked to see the game at $40-50 on PC as PC games at least used to be sold at and sell well. but then console players would complain and trion could lose customers that way. do agree however they should've held off on the season pass release till launch at least, because the negative thinkers are likely thinking something along the lines of "they think its going to be so bad they want to get as much money before release".

everything in life is a balancing act. that balancing act just gets harder with multiple companies working together on multiple things (show + game, 50 mil budget, sound familiar? :P).

KeepItCool SHiFT
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
556 boom its already in 31% :D

phrenesis
03-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I actually preordered a while ago, still did not get any beta-key. How long did it take for you guys?

Scarletwing
03-19-2013, 10:34 AM
I actually preordered a while ago, still did not get any beta-key. How long did it take for you guys?

Same here, I perorder it two day ago. Still nothing comes.
How can I join beta...

skullmount4
03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
They haven't sent them out yet. Should be sent out soon though. Saw it in other threads.

Hopefully they give us enough time before to be able to have it already downloaded and installed when it comes time to be able to play.

I really hope we can at least fill tier 1.