PDA

View Full Version : Could multiple platforms end up shooting defiance in the foot?

ranger2410
03-09-2013, 01:38 PM
I was just thinking about this, and does anyone else worry that multi-non cross over platforms could end up hurting more in the long run? I know a large part of why many MMO's come out for only one platform (PC) is to consolidate the player base. That's not the only reason obviously, but it is a good one.

With 3 different platforms you have many people that are really on a fence about which version to go with, and it gives me some concerns. For myself for example, i normally would never get an MMO for the xbox, BUT my friends don't have gaming computers, so it is the only way I can potentially play with them.

long story short, I'm concerned with the possible long term problems that could come with fracturing the community. i have no doubt it will boost sales up front, BUT if it ends up going down the drain on a particular console, you are going to have some really upset people. I am incredibly happy to support trion it's a great company, so the ultimate edition was the only option. I'm just really hoping I didn't end up dropping 150$ on a platform I'm going to regret it on.

Especially since it isn't like on the pc. Can't say "oh dang, i rolled this character on a crappy underpopulated server, im gonna transfer it" or "well, the server was full when I started, but now it's next to empty and there isn't anyone to play with, I'm gonna send him to one of the few high pop servers" in this case, If it fails on any of the platforms, your only option is to entirely re-buy the game again.

Exes
03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
As much as it "fractures" the community it also opens up to a much bigger customer base. Especially in North America the percentage of Console gamers is incredibly high compared to Europe, where the PC mostly dominates.

iiReLaX o
03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
I was just thinking about this, and does anyone else worry that multi-non cross over platforms could end up hurting more in the long run? I know a large part of why many MMO's come out for only one platform (PC) is to consolidate the player base. That's not the only reason obviously, but it is a good one.

With 3 different platforms you have many people that are really on a fence about which version to go with, and it gives me some concerns. For myself for example, i normally would never get an MMO for the xbox, BUT my friends don't have gaming computers, so it is the only way I can potentially play with them.

long story short, I'm concerned with the possible long term problems that could come with fracturing the community. i have no doubt it will boost sales up front, BUT if it ends up going down the drain on a particular console, you are going to have some really upset people. I am incredibly happy to support trion it's a great company, so the ultimate edition was the only option. I'm just really hoping I didn't end up dropping 150$ on a platform I'm going to regret it on.

Especially since it isn't like on the pc. Can't say "oh dang, i rolled this character on a crappy underpopulated server, im gonna transfer it" or "well, the server was full when I started, but now it's next to empty and there isn't anyone to play with, I'm gonna send him to one of the few high pop servers" in this case, If it fails on any of the platforms, your only option is to entirely re-buy the game again.

Money is money.

Kriegson
03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Not to mention theoretically 3 times the sales.

Desidus
03-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Right now the only one that has to worry is PS3 gamers... oh .... thats me!

lol.. not really too worried about it to be honest. If a game does well on any system it will bring in people that play the other consoles and if the game sucks all of them won't do well for long regardless of being three systems or just one. Might be able to delay the inevitable for a little while more, but regardless the same thing will happen.

Rampermt
03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Personally I think its going to help expand the reach of Defiance being on multipule platforms. I don't see the gaming community being fractured because console is console pc is pc meaning people that play on console are going to play on console with others that are on console and pc will play with pc like they always have.

SweetMadness
03-09-2013, 01:50 PM
As much as it "fractures" the community it also opens up to a much bigger customer base. Especially in North America the percentage of Console gamers is incredibly high compared to Europe, where the PC mostly dominates.

This pretty much sums it up. I understand the concern of fracturing the player base, but it opens it up to the non-PC gamers as well. Also, keep in mind that the original idea had all three platforms playing together before Sony and Microsoft said "We will not share!" By that point it'd been announced for all the platforms and likely had pre-orders as well. They would've upset console gamers if they had canceled the console editions.