PDA

View Full Version : Cloak is almost useless

jlsesq
04-12-2013, 03:20 PM
I am more than just a little disappointed with the Cloak power. Here are some shortcomings…

1. You cannot do anything while cloaked except move (i.e. no filling up on ammo, no reviving fallen comrades, no activating objects, etc.). If the game designers want to make you turn visible when firing a weapon, then so be it. However non-violent actions should not deactivate the Cloak in my opinion.

2. Some PvE enemies (like the boss Nim) see right through Cloak making it completely useless in certain battles. I selected Cloak as my power and picked perks to maximize its effectiveness (e.g. Infiltrator, Shadow’s Core, Shadowed Strike, etc.), and all of this is useless in the final battle. No PvE enemy should see through Cloak. I do not understand why the designers would create a power only to turn around and nerf it to uselessness.

3. I have read that players can see other Cloaked players if they use the right display options, so it appears the power is almost completely useless in PvP. Unfortunately there are always going to be a pathetic few that will cheat at a game as if a victory means anything when achieved through such means. Nevertheless, the designers should close up obvious loopholes in the game mechanics which give some players an advantage over others.

4. If you receive enough damage the Cloak deactivates and will not reactivate even if the duration has not expired yet. Thus, you can activate Cloak (which should last a full 21 seconds with a maxed out Infiltrator perk equipped), receive damage in the first 5 seconds which exceeds some unknown maximum sum set by the game mechanics, and the Cloak will not reactivate even if you find cover even though there should still be 16 more seconds duration. If the game designers want to make you turn visible while taking damage, then so be it. However once you stop taking damage the Cloak should reactivate as long as the Cloak duration has not expired in my opinion.

kiddy
04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Actually nim just walked around aimlessly when i used cloak so..
the only part cloak doesn't work is when he throws them homing knifes at you and it would be silly if you can just completely negate that attack by cloaking you need to learn to roll.

Foxhop
04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Teehee, you silly bastard you...such a kidder.

Just listen to the old man and hold your head in shame. x3

darky89
04-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Should definitely be able to deactivate / activate stuff while cloaked. I've only found it useful to reposition, it's not very useful to try a stealth approach as like you've mentioned... pretty much everything deactivates it. Like you say, it's fine if violent actions do so, but non violent actions shouldn't really.

DarkShadowMark
04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
You touched on one, just ONE, good point. Non-violent actions like picking up ammo/people and activating stuff shouldn't break cloak. Other than that, your just being butthurt over getting killed a few times when your precious cloak didn't work.

wrappy
04-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I use cloak and it's strong enough, just kill everybody first :P, one thing i did notice is no matter how long you use it, it still takes the same amount of time to recharge. so there's no benefit to coming out of cloak early. .

Agent T8235
04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
lol troll thread

Scorpio989
04-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Decoy: Best healer, tank, and support.
Blur: Best speed, melee damage, and situational damage.
Overcharge: Best burst damage, explosive damage, reload speed.
Cloak: Best sustained damage, critical damage, ammo effects chance.

Erei
04-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Either it's a troll or a bad joke, as Cloak is one of the most powerful power of the game.
Stealth : check
Almost perfect stealth : check
Shield regen on demand : check
Long duration : check
Increase damage : check (perk related)

Also, the power doesn't stop when you do hostile action, stop shooting, and cloak will be back.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
04-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I am perfectly fine with having to decloak to do anything other than fire my weapon. The reason is cloak would be OP otherwise. The purpose of cloak is to help you hide and move around, or initiate a surprise attack from behind an opponent, then make a quick getaway.

Yes, enemies will still aggro on you while cloaked, and that is going to be fixed in the massive client patch coming up on the 15th. Other than that I think cloak is just fine as is.

mephisteaux6
04-12-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm not there yet, because I **** around a lot.. but I'm not too concerned with what may be OP/UP here.
Maybe that boss will be a PITA, mebee not. In any case, I dig the stealth game because that's what is fun to me.
so after the tutorial, cloak and backstab or whatever seemed a good fit.

If that gimps me against super-boss x, or makes me a ***** in pvp, idgaf.. I'm here to have fun.
I've got no interest in finding best spec.

Just play the way you like to flippin play.

RAYNE Mois
04-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Actually nim just walked around aimlessly when i used cloak so..
the only part cloak doesn't work is when he throws them homing knifes at you and it would be silly if you can just completely negate that attack by cloaking you need to learn to roll.

I think a few direct quotes are "Hiding will get you nowhere" "You're pathetic" and my personal favorite, "Such tricks do not befit a warrior." Dude was sooo mad that he couldn't see me. Lol

Vuule
04-12-2013, 04:47 PM
I am more than just a little disappointed with the Cloak power. Here are some shortcomings…

1. You cannot do anything while cloaked except move (i.e. no filling up on ammo, no reviving fallen comrades, no activating objects, etc.). If the game designers want to make you turn visible when firing a weapon, then so be it. However non-violent actions should not deactivate the Cloak in my opinion.

2. Some PvE enemies (like the boss Nim) see right through Cloak making it completely useless in certain battles. I selected Cloak as my power and picked perks to maximize its effectiveness (e.g. Infiltrator, Shadow’s Core, Shadowed Strike, etc.), and all of this is useless in the final battle. No PvE enemy should see through Cloak. I do not understand why the designers would create a power only to turn around and nerf it to uselessness.

3. I have read that players can see other Cloaked players if they use the right display options, so it appears the power is almost completely useless in PvP. Unfortunately there are always going to be a pathetic few that will cheat at a game as if a victory means anything when achieved through such means. Nevertheless, the designers should close up obvious loopholes in the game mechanics which give some players an advantage over others.

4. If you receive enough damage the Cloak deactivates and will not reactivate even if the duration has not expired yet. Thus, you can activate Cloak (which should last a full 21 seconds with a maxed out Infiltrator perk equipped), receive damage in the first 5 seconds which exceeds some unknown maximum sum set by the game mechanics, and the Cloak will not reactivate even if you find cover even though there should still be 16 more seconds duration. If the game designers want to make you turn visible while taking damage, then so be it. However once you stop taking damage the Cloak should reactivate as long as the Cloak duration has not expired in my opinion.

1. Agreed. However, I could see this making certain missions waay to easy. Would be the same as being able to interact with something while getting shot at.

2. He's the end boss in this game. Does it really matter that much? He should be able to counter act cloak. (Remember, they mentioned he has an EGO implant like you. Not to mention, waaay better powers. I tried to use decoy against him. No use since my decoy would get insta killed.)

3. Never heard of that. If possible, the only option would be to go completely invisible and not have this blurry outline. But no thanks.

4. Once I stop receiving damage, I go right back to being cloaked..

jnt
04-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Cloak made Nim very easy for me. The ability is great verging on too awesome.

Neogeo
04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Either it's a troll or a bad joke, as Cloak is one of the most powerful power of the game.
Stealth : check
Almost perfect stealth : check
Shield regen on demand : check
Long duration : check
Increase damage : check (perk related)

Also, the power doesn't stop when you do hostile action, stop shooting, and cloak will be back.
Dude, increase damage only work for the first shot coming out of stealth.

jnt
04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
I think a few direct quotes are "Hiding will get you nowhere" "You're pathetic" and my personal favorite, "Such tricks do not befit a warrior." Dude was sooo mad that he couldn't see me. Lol

Which is pretty hilarious considering how you meet him.

Riktar
04-12-2013, 05:01 PM
I dont understand the OPs gripe... as i never had a problem with this op ego ability....

Foxhop
04-12-2013, 05:08 PM
This may just be a player skill level issue. From what I hear, cloak is quite the overpowered EGO ability. (I use cloak and have to agree even.) You may just want to avoid trying to play a stealth character.

DarkShadowMark
04-12-2013, 05:09 PM

Yes, but with a bolt action sniper rifle, I can get 5 or 6 clean power-shots out of one cloak charge. Once you fire, your revealed, then you wait until you disappear fully again and you fire once again.

Erei
04-12-2013, 05:10 PM
And if you add increase nano effect chance against enemies that are not in combat, +15% damage from behind, plus the +30% damage from stealth, it's a really powerful alpha strike, don't you think ? You can also use +12% crit damage if shooting from the hip, or +9% while crouched.
+45% damage, +12% crit damage, and nano effect, that sound quite nice for an alpha strike from stealth, behind someone. Like I don't know, if you use a shotgun, a pistol or a sniper rifle, with already high damage per shot. Don't you think ?

Also, since the power is still running even when you shoot, you just have to stop shooting few second, and you are stealthed again. And benefit those bonuses, again.

Jack Johnson
04-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Is this thread a troll? Cloak is absurdly good in instanced PvP. Most of the time if I know that an infiltrator cloaked nearby but I don't know where exactly, my only option is to run and hope he isn't already close enough to pump me full of lead since the first shot advantage is huge.

DarkShadowMark
04-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Also, just to make a second point, this isn't god damn mass effect. Know what people do all day over on BSN? Complain about cloak. Seriously. IF you hate cloak so much, GET USED TO IT. Cloak is a power that is PERFECTLY FINE as it is. If I see a perfectly good power get NERFED because too many children (Yes children, because that is what your acting like OP) are too stupid to counter cloak with decoy or a decent television (Because I can easily pick out cloak. I played crysis 2 for two years and 3 since release day, I can pick that stuff out like an NBA player in a crowd of children) I will start worshiping EA as the best company on earth.

rralpheboy
04-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Cloak works just fine for me, I'm able to evade an attack and reload on ammo. It is actually very deadly when attacking an enemy from his flank or from behind. My character does re-appear while reviving a fallen team mate but cloak is deadly enough as it is.

Dr EveHill
04-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Yea players should really learn about the ego powers. Cloak is awesome I mainly only use it for sheild regen when it breaks I cloak reposition my self and burst shot in enemies heads. After I wipe one guy I move to the next and ussually recloak while moving. You just need to learn how to use your power to your style of play.

Happy_Puppy
04-12-2013, 05:44 PM
I don't know why people keep bring up perks around the skill... they are not bound to that skill. I use overcharge and have every +crit perk around the stealth skill. That's why overcharge is so insane in damage for pve. Cloak really only shines in PvP with the shotgun spam jumping lunatics.

Orge Lambart
04-12-2013, 05:51 PM
this topic is a troll post yet I get my message deleted for trolling WTF is up with these forums.

Ralifur
04-12-2013, 06:06 PM

1. Your shield starts to instantly charge as you go stealthed. Use this as a reason to run around with a turtle shield. Everyone nearly uses respark tho but even for that it still refills instantly as you stealth. I dont think I know of a game where non violent actions doesnt remove your stealth tho.
Also grants you the ability to position yourself accordingly and slip away from heavy enemy fire utilizing objects to hide behind while ur cloak takes effect.

2. Nim does not see through your cloak. if he saw through yours then you had a bug. as the second poster in the topic clearly states then nim walks around aimlessly while you are cloaked. He did the same for me and cloak was a good skill for that fight due to the instant shield recharge and being able to reposition myself. Have yet to meet a PvE enemy that sees through my stealth so I still believe you were afflicted by a bug or were too fast to react. If u notice then mobs will fire in the direction where you first activate stealth. This is them looking for you. Nim does something similar as you just begin to stealth. Its quite smart behaviour tbh. :-)

3. Have yet to see anyone see through my cloak. You can notice a guy occassionally if u stand still and really look for them but that happens rarely.
I usually get quite amazing scores in pvp even tho they can also suck sometimes. Up and downs. :-)
Nonetheless PvP with cloak and shotgun is one of the most powerful ways of playing pvp right now.

4. This happens when your shield gets breached and you get a "stunshot" aka a shot damaging you enough to stun you then yes it breaks your stealth. This happens rarely for me tho and is where your skill comes into play of when and how to activate your stealth. Doing it right infront of a guy facing you with a grenade launcher is not really very smart and the common person should know this as well. Also goes for pvp. Stealthing while someone is closeby is risky and can let you loose the stealth. You can also run into an unforeseen happening like a guy is stealthed and stalking you then engages you as you hit your own stealth button.
But again those are situations which can happen and you can do counter meassures to avoid such things.

Honestly. Adapt instead of complain and do proper research. It sounds harsh but its the truth. Have nothing against you. :-)

jlsesq
04-12-2013, 09:09 PM
I offer the following response to the replies I received…

1. I still don’t think non-violent actions should break Cloak. I do realize that some missions will be made very easy to complete; however, that was the fault of the mission designers who knew the power of Cloak would exist in the game. Also keep in mind that a player might complete a mission easily thanks to Cloak, but would miss out on all the combat XP.

2. I’m using the ps3, and Nim can most definitely see through my Cloak. He repeatedly hits me while I’m Cloaked and on the run/rolling. Perhaps it is a bug in the ps3 version. Nim is not the only enemy that sees through Cloak either.

3. I have not played in PvP yet, so I’ll reserve judgment. I was commenting on complaints I’ve read from other players.

4. Certain PvE attacks definitely break Cloak and end the duration. Nim’s rush attack for one, and the AoE attack of the Bulwarks in the bunker on the way to Nim is another. There are others throughout the game. Again this may be a bug with the ps3 version, but it is real and really nerfs the power.

P.S. I wish gamers could reply to a thread without flaming and/or making obnoxious remarks. Grow up! Try to respond in a polite and mature manner.

Ikagawa
04-12-2013, 09:15 PM
1. I still don’t think non-violent actions should break Cloak. I do realize that some missions will be made very easy to complete; however, that was the fault of the mission designers who knew the power of Cloak would exist in the game. Also keep in mind that a player might complete a mission easily thanks to Cloak, but would miss out on all the combat XP.

What in the hell...? That doesn't even make sense. They knew how useful Cloak would be without restriction, so they made the proper design decision to put in limitations. And you're griping about it?

4. Certain PvE attacks definitely break Cloak and end the duration. Nim’s rush attack for one, and the AoE attack of the Bulwarks in the bunker on the way to Nim is another. There are others throughout the game. Again this may be a bug with the ps3 version, but it is real and really nerfs the power.

It happens on the PC as well. If it's a bug, it doesn't only affect the PS3. I just assumed it was a design choice.

DeMoted
04-12-2013, 09:23 PM
You shield refills when you cloak... The real problem is you not knowing how to use it.

darknessjw
04-12-2013, 09:27 PM
It is fine here

In ME3 it was super OP. Resurrect allies while cloaked, capture points :(

Indolo
04-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Just like enemies will shoot where they last saw you when you cloaked, Nim will still zoom around a bit when you cloak. You have to stay out of his way. He doesn't see you, he's just attacking the area where you were.

Cloak is great, but you have to use it smartly. Cloak behind cover and then reposition, cloak on the move in between enemy attacks, because their attacks will disrupt the cloak, while cloak is active, duck behind cover if needed to recloak and get the great shield regen. I think it's nice that enemies don't just forget about you instantly when you cloak.

Thunderclap
04-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Why would that be silly. If he could see through that would be one thing. But if he can't then it should be that he can't attack either. Thats logic. If you are visible then yes roll is good. Cloak means invisible if not moving. So no not silly if he can't throw knifes. Now if he's already throwing knives then yes he can remember where you were.