PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 server is... quiet.

Dissentient
04-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Obviously, I can see why forums are essential for games such as this. It's no mysterious that the Xbox LIVE community has gotten very awkward and anti-social throughout the years. I've often compared it's recent status to the stereotypical high school cafeteria. Everyone will keep to themselves, form groups, and maybe invite you in if they think they're "cool" enough to be exclusive (Xbox LIVE parties). MMO is still a bit new to the Xbox community, which has a percentage of gamers still oblivious to PC gaming. Normally, you'd have people swarming in the safe points blurting out trade offers, clan recruiting, group formations, and anything else having to do with... anything. Where is that here? Everyone wants to be a lone wolf, even after being given assistance on the side of the road. I've joined a clan where no one even attempts to work together or even communicate. You invite them into a group and they ignore. Is it the disdainful ideals of those pesky FPS online shooters that contradict cooperation with competition? Or is it simply the fact that no one cares about interaction anymore (Unless it's necessary, like Arkfalls)? This is just my two cents. It may be more of a personal experience rather than a mutual one, but let me know what you guys think.

elquietone
04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
I think its party due to A) people not having keyboards and are too lazy to type, though I have seen a few recruit and trade msgs. and B) the area voice chat is broken or so I've been told, so most people can't even talk there.

I think the ignorance towards party'ing with others is the fact that XP is not shared or split. If you don't hit the monster you don't get any form of XP at all. Some people are just greedy and want full XP, though they cant stop your from standing next to them and stealing all their kills anyways. :P.

There has been a lot of trade posts on the forums though and so on.

AbleAmazing
04-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Party Chat has completely crippled the XBL community. People hardly ever communicate outside of party chats and interaction with unknown players is frequently perceived as an awkward and uncomfortable experience. Gaming, as a whole, is a less social activity than it used to be. Online systems have provided a gateway to more content than ever. And we spend so much time consuming this content that we've forgotten how to interact on a basic social level.

Oh, and MMOs primary method of communication is text chat which is problematic on a controller.

winterforge
04-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm not speaking for myself, but I know that many people don't group up with randoms because they will actually slow things down instead of speeding things up if they don't know what they are doing. Some people only want to power-level through the game and don't want to spend time meeting and playing with strangers. They see this as more of a means-to-an-end kind of game instead of a social experience. To each their own, it's their money they spent on the game. My advice, join a good clan that likes to group up.

Scorpio989
04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
1. No one wants to mess around with a virtual keyboard, and many people don't have the controller keyboard.
2. My clan doesn't know how to shut the hell up. And I'm pretty sure we were the ones who broke the clan chat last week because it was working fine.
3. The reason why I don't bother putting my mic in while playing solo on BF3 is because I have horrid memories of the morons who did nothing but complain/scream while playing CoD 4.

Who really wants to listen to... " OMG! I SHOT YOU, i F****** SHOT YOU!" "F*** YOU F****** HACKER F**** FACE!"

Big Bear
04-12-2013, 04:05 PM
People don't use public chat because of the idiot racists, screeching 12 yr olds and X-Factor wannabes that have plagued the Xbox for years. Blame Microsoft for not moderating their system properly.

kkhendy
04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
It's just a complete ballache to type a message, even if you do have the xbox controller keypad. With this I party chat with friends I play with in real life but I don't really interact outside of that. Atleast it's not like CoD where everybody has somehow had my mum though.

mavado454
04-12-2013, 04:16 PM
People don't use public chat because of the idiot racists, screeching 12 yr olds and X-Factor wannabes that have plagued the Xbox for years. Blame Microsoft for not moderating their system properly.

This is not acceptable! There is the mute button for a reason.

Typicalgold
04-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Well everyone has said a lot of reasons. I was really discouraged when I found out there wasn't even a proximity chat for the headset. Personally for me in game I hardly notice the tiny little line in the bottom corner where people write messages. Also when I am playing with the only friend on my xbox friends list we are usually moving pretty fast so I wouldn't even notice them. So the fact I don't notice the chat much makes me feel it is the same for a lot of people. I would love to play with groups in this game but it is hard to find people to do that with. If anyone wants to group up let me know Typicalgold is my gamertag. I play this game very regularly.

DropIt
04-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I think this is the only thing disappointing me right now. I love the game itself but I was expecting people to be more open and wanting to play as a group. If anyone wants someone to play with, add me up haha. GT: Garrett Froese

kkhendy
04-12-2013, 04:36 PM
If I was on PC I bet it'd be more social, but xbox is far too much effort without a decent voice chat.

Duskky
04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Love the party feature for Xbox only thing that I hated when I bought a PS3 besides the really long updates every other day.

I use the in-game chat, and I have no problem talking to people in-game but i'm very awkward and mostly say maybe a sentence.

Xbox got Anti-social because of all the Racist, four year olds, Console "Quick Scope" kids they're on PS3 too.

I'm always looking for more people outside of my guild to play up and do co-op, missions, pvp or anything you guys can send me a Friend request if you'd like, my GT is Duskky

Lion_Turtyle
04-12-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm not completely against working or helping others, but I'm not big on grouping with people.

The internet and more so online gaming have taught me that 75% of people are ****s. I'd rather play with a small group of friends than wade through that other huge group of players that are probably all ******bags. If I'm doing an Arkfall alone or fighting a large number of enemies and someone comes in and helps me, I'll take the time to type out "Thanks" or something in the chat. I've never had anyone say anything back to me though.

NiroRayth
04-12-2013, 05:42 PM
We (revival) add who ever we can when they join our clan so they can join in our party chat due to the lack of Voice clan chat etc. once voice chats are implemented ( im not sure if they are or not) we will be using that to talk to new people and arrange things

Hybridizm
04-12-2013, 06:39 PM
You know, I actually agree. Party chat has more or less ruined the XBL community. Most people don't own a keyboard or are to lazy to type a message, I personally haven't seen anyone trying to recruit members into their clans via chat or offering trade options. Although I am expecting a bit too much, MMOs are more or less new to the XBL community at the moment and if you're a big fan of WoW like me and other PC MMOs (Final Fantasy, Rift etc) you won't see any similarities in the communities whatsoever.

Four Channel
04-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Best way to talk on there is if you have the keyboard for your controller, though I am surprised a voice system wont work on there. Then...that would be laggy as heck, it's kind of laggy once and a while and I even have a 50mb connection.

Yukmout
04-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Remember the days when Socom came out and it actually came with a mic so people could work together? How far have we gone from those days? Now we get a statue and a season pass to content that should already be on the disk.

:(

mavado454
04-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Wer might never have a real community feel to an xbox MMO. This might just end up being a Borderlands without a 4 player restriction. I would probably be ok with that.

Four Channel
04-12-2013, 06:51 PM
There should be more co-op available missions. I hope it has large missions like, everyone has to fight a certain enemy, not like the Arkfalls, but I mean one huge bad butt enemy. Kind of like the huge bot at the bridge. They should make it into events, give out good bonuses, weapons, vehicles and more. Also then have it daily too, not like once but have it happen for a week straight, once an hour every hour.

Dodece
04-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Text chat is obviously more problematic then it is worth for most. Actually it is fairly hazardous given how hectic the game is most of the time. There is a reason that a lot of guilds in other massive titles prefer to communicate through vent or team speak. Usually the times when communication is most necessary are also the times when players are neck deep in a dangerous situation. Stopping to type then is a really bad idea. This game desperately needs a better voice chat system. That is really all there is to it.

Four Channel
04-12-2013, 07:06 PM
It all has to do with VOIP, since Microsoft Owns Skype they should do a voice venture Voice Chat for the Game. Wouldn't be that bad to implement.

Hermit Grimm
04-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I think we've hit the nail on the head here. The biggest issue here is the terrible voice communication in game. I do own a wireless USB keyboard that works perfectly. However since the only messages I ever see in text chat are the occasional trade I'm not interested in or the random clan attempt at recruiting ( and I'm quite happy with my own) I've never really felt the need to use it. For the most part I hide in private XBL parties with a rotating roster of clan mates and have all but given up on in game communication. Which makes me sad. I'm a decent guy and like to help where I can. But most people who need help have no real way to ask for it. So I'm left juggling several clan groups of 8 players each without any way to speak with all my friends at once.

So basically... Fix in game chat please!

Ashrita
04-12-2013, 07:40 PM
This is not acceptable! There is the mute button for a reason.

There are just so many people to mute, it isn't worth all the heartache.

Edit: also hello fellow Ohioan!

mavado454
04-12-2013, 07:55 PM
There are just so many people to mute, it isn't worth all the heartache.

Edit: also hello fellow Ohioan!

Awesome! I thought I was the only buckeye around here. GO BUCKS!

Gratty
04-12-2013, 09:12 PM
I guess you just have to look for the right clan. Mine is pretty active and we interact with everyone in the clan that wants to be social, which is just about everyone. Check us out.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?17020-Abyss-Walkers-Recruiting!

Gratty
04-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I think we've hit the nail on the head here. The biggest issue here is the terrible voice communication in game. I do own a wireless USB keyboard that works perfectly. However since the only messages I ever see in text chat are the occasional trade I'm not interested in or the random clan attempt at recruiting ( and I'm quite happy with my own) I've never really felt the need to use it. For the most part I hide in private XBL parties with a rotating roster of clan mates and have all but given up on in game communication. Which makes me sad. I'm a decent guy and like to help where I can. But most people who need help have no real way to ask for it. So I'm left juggling several clan groups of 8 players each without any way to speak with all my friends at once.

So basically... Fix in game chat please!

Yes. I agree with this.

Mirimon
04-12-2013, 09:24 PM
people grow up, and get tired of having to take 10 minutes out of each game they play, each match, to mute the screaming, babbling nonsense coming from the pre-teen xbox "community" .... but there is much more going on here.. not only have people gotten tired of the type of consumer who plays on xbox, but tired of paying extra to play online. I am sure also they are tired of paying $60 for a game that doesn't last more than a few hours.. and what good is decent voice chat when a game can barely support more than 10 players in a room before the lagfest begins and it becomes unplayable?

also.. they may seem quiet to the OP because of a simple fact.. xbox live participants are actually the smallest group of online users, among all platforms/systems....... less people= less communication... further divide the small community that is xbox live by the region lock.. and you have a very isolated demographic.

ohhmydave
04-12-2013, 09:48 PM
I haven't read through the whole thread so sorry if somebody has already said this, people can use any old usb keyboard with xbox, just plug in and it's good to type away.

Mahemium
04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
* Hearing half conversations between multiple people on the same mic
* High pitched child voices
* Awkward singing
* "Tough guy" teenagers
* Hearing someones awful music
* Coughing, sneezing, belches etc
* Conspiracy theorists
* Religious preaching
* Racial and sexual bigotry

Yeah, I personally haven't wanted any part of the Xbox Live community in a while.

Vledrin
04-14-2013, 11:40 PM
1. No one wants to mess around with a virtual keyboard, and many people don't have the controller keyboard.
2. My clan doesn't know how to shut the hell up. And I'm pretty sure we were the ones who broke the clan chat last week because it was working fine.
3. The reason why I don't bother putting my mic in while playing solo on BF3 is because I have horrid memories of the morons who did nothing but complain/scream while playing CoD 4.

Who really wants to listen to... " OMG! I SHOT YOU, i F****** SHOT YOU!" "F*** YOU F****** HACKER F**** FACE!"

I see you meet my little brother...

Gonz0
04-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Well everyone has said a lot of reasons. I was really discouraged when I found out there wasn't even a proximity chat for the headset. Personally for me in game I hardly notice the tiny little line in the bottom corner where people write messages. Also when I am playing with the only friend on my xbox friends list we are usually moving pretty fast so I wouldn't even notice them. So the fact I don't notice the chat much makes me feel it is the same for a lot of people. I would love to play with groups in this game but it is hard to find people to do that with. If anyone wants to group up let me know Typicalgold is my gamertag. I play this game very regularly.

They definitely said there will be proximity voice chat. They said it in the live streams but unfortunately at launch it did not work so it will be out until the patch... tomorrow. I think most people playing the game now are mildly serious about it and will have a mic. Don't fret, chat will pick up one way or another.

Javik
04-15-2013, 12:10 AM
I personally like the silence in this game. Why? For many reasons

1) no gold or item farmer spam

2) no trolls over the open world chat spouting off drama

I can list more but those two are the main ones

I agree its abit too silent sometimes when wanting to lfg or quest with another gamer. But I'm liking this MMO Defiance on my Xbox more then I think I would have on my PC.

1) no AIM bots
2). if there are exploits (console) then it's a glitch not someone manipulating digits.
3). I don't have to listen to elite talk trash and brag over world chat while on Xbox.

I did return my unopened UE PC of defiance and kept my UE for xbox360. And glad I stayed with Xbox. I just wish Microsoft would pull their corporate shareholder heads outta their a*z and see that MMO or even MMORPGs is now possible like defiance.

Game play is now very smooth after past few patches and seems to be getting even better. Quests some are bugged but that us common in any mmo or game. Graphics tho are good but dated I agree but considering the old platform and that small xbox360 conse having to number crunch ALL of what's going on randomly by all 1000 players trying to kill a massive insect or creature is ALOT of work on that machine.

It's not number crunching 24 to 32 ppl that machine is number crunching everything from what I can see. It's like a Pentium2 with two 3dfx voodoo 2 cards in sli being pushed to run a massive zerg on screen. There's only so much that old hardware can do and do well.

I'm impressed with what Trions defiance game. My first Trion game as well btw. I also like the leveling system no more cookie cutter leveling I like it.

Another
04-15-2013, 12:53 AM
I personally like the silence in this game. Why? For many reasons

1) no gold or item farmer spam

2) no trolls over the open world chat spouting off drama

I can list more but those two are the main ones

I agree its abit too silent sometimes when wanting to lfg or quest with another gamer. But I'm liking this MMO Defiance on my Xbox more then I think I would have on my PC.

1) no AIM bots
2). if there are exploits (console) then it's a glitch not someone manipulating digits.
3). I don't have to listen to elite talk trash and brag over world chat while on Xbox.

I did return my unopened UE PC of defiance and kept my UE for xbox360. And glad I stayed with Xbox. I just wish Microsoft would pull their corporate shareholder heads outta their a*z and see that MMO or even MMORPGs is now possible like defiance.

Game play is now very smooth after past few patches and seems to be getting even better. Quests some are bugged but that us common in any mmo or game. Graphics tho are good but dated I agree but considering the old platform and that small xbox360 conse having to number crunch ALL of what's going on randomly by all 1000 players trying to kill a massive insect or creature is ALOT of work on that machine.

It's not number crunching 24 to 32 ppl that machine is number crunching everything from what I can see. It's like a Pentium2 with two 3dfx voodoo 2 cards in sli being pushed to run a massive zerg on screen. There's only so much that old hardware can do and do well.

I'm impressed with what Trions defiance game. My first Trion game as well btw. I also like the leveling system no more cookie cutter leveling I like it.

I hate Protheans, but yeah, I agree.

Not seeing constant world chat spam from chinese gold farmers is pretty nice.

Mystical
04-15-2013, 01:23 AM
Since the days of Halo 2 from original xbox live I've not used a mic. Got tired of all the hate and screaming that happens in online games.

Much rather only use my mic in party chat with friends and if I am alone you won't see me talking. I'll be doing my own thing having a fun time instead of people raging at me for no reason.

Kalter Stahl
04-15-2013, 01:44 AM
I find xbox live rather lacking in screaming last few years... I think the children all broke their mics. Though I do spend alot of time in parties and I tend to make friends out of friend's friends. Friends...

OxygenDesperado
04-15-2013, 01:45 AM
hit me up sometime i feel exactly like you do coming from games where chat is part of the game. im on late nights ( HST ) GT OxygenDesperado feel free to add me

Lt Clayton
04-15-2013, 01:55 AM
This is actually a good thread because its made me think. I too, havent ventured out of party chat really for ages. When I first joined xbox, (ohhh 5 years ago now, olden days lol) everyone was mostly friendly. Only problem came when the price of the xbox dropped which allowed lots of kids to join the fun. Some are ok but quite a few were annoying. But seeing as the servers atm are region locked I might actually venture out and chat to people in the game. Sorry Americans, majority of you guys are friendly, but nothing can beat a bit of British/European Banter.

duction
04-15-2013, 02:06 AM
This is actually a good thread because its made me think. I too, havent ventured out of party chat really for ages. When I first joined xbox, (ohhh 5 years ago now, olden days lol) everyone was mostly friendly. Only problem came when the price of the xbox dropped which allowed lots of kids to join the fun. Some are ok but quite a few were annoying. But seeing as the servers atm are region locked I might actually venture out and chat to people in the game. Sorry Americans, majority of you guys are friendly, but nothing can beat a bit of British/European Banter.

+1 on the British banter, I've not come across many kids on the EU server thank god! Hopefully the next xbox is highly priced to keep the kids out for a while lol!

Dyrin
04-15-2013, 02:30 AM
My biggest problem with grouping up in this game is that it's very easy to get nothing for your troubles. I'd love to be getting some form of shared XP while in a group, but if you don't land a hit, then you get nothing. This really discourages having someone be support in an instance as well. Having no shared xp in an mmo is a horrible idea, and I'm really hoping that our patch later today will fix that somehow. I enjoy playing with friends, and I don't mind helping people out when they get downed... but with self-revive, people don't wait to be picked up with you standing right next to them, even if there's no enemies left around. People are too used to selfish jerks in the xbox community, and they forget that some of us actually try to be helpful. As for the chat situation, almost all of my experiences in shooters involves someone being a colossal ****** and yelling over the mic. I made some new friends while playing ME3 multiplayer, but it seemed like there were less elitist pricks in that since it was cooperative play.

dodmayhem
04-15-2013, 03:57 AM
To be honest party chat is my favorite part of the 360. I don't have to listen to 3 year old kids screaming on the headset or ghetto people who I'm not even sure are using internet they paid for. Generally if I am playing Defiance with a friend and join up in a co-op mission we invite the 2 other players to our party. It has fostered some new friendships over the years.

I think that in my experience it is how hard you try to be social that really reflects what you get back.

Vehicide
04-15-2013, 04:48 AM
I'm here to hunt arks, not make friends.

Javik
04-15-2013, 05:31 AM
I hate Protheans, but yeah, I agree.

Not seeing constant world chat spam from chinese gold farmers is pretty nice.

Even without world chat or gold to sell farmers always find another way to make a dollar. Like farming legendary weapons to spam for sale on the main forums or external website in exchange for real currency.

Not that any of that is happening.

In my cycle we protheans used to hunt these spam farmers for sport. All species including our own kind.

Once caught my people would take them into the desert bury them alive in sand upto their necks and let the wildlife feast on their eyes. If he had survived that we would reward him by shooting him in the head.

Its good to see that another one agrees.

Grit
04-15-2013, 05:33 AM
I'm one of those "party chat only" people.

no need to hear people singing, screaming, rapping (poorly), talking to 3 different people in the same room as them and many many more.

I have almost 0 faith in humanity when it comes to online gaming lol. I will say that the few people that i've game with from the forums here has brought my faith up a bit but there is always that question...will i hear 12yr olds screaming into the headset if i leave my party lol.

I've found that group chat/clan chat works fine or it did saturday night when the XBL stuff was going all wonky.

I'm sure there are a lot of people willing to head out and BS while gaming it's just that most of us have been beyond annoyed with the general public that plays online and how those ppl act while online.

RoG Goat
04-15-2013, 06:00 AM
People still actually use game chat?

Lolwtf

Xepher
04-15-2013, 06:16 AM
X-Factor wannabes that have plagued the Xbox for years.

What do you mean X-factor wannabes? I may be geting to old for the slang.

maggotking
04-15-2013, 06:19 AM
I agree with this post to a point. I myself try to chat as much as i can with other players in game. Most people imho worry about meeting the kind of players we all try to avoid and just feel its easyer to not bother with chat at all. Im always up for a chat if the person is a good player or just looking for a little help learning the game. I started a clan just for people who like to chat and have fun with the game. Msg me on xbox live, my gamertag is Maggotking18 or you can find me in game as Blackvayne. And on a side note i dont thing the party system xbox has is hurting the gaming world or its players at all. If i want to talk to other people ill jump into a game chat, but if i just want to hang out and talk with people i know i have the party option as well. its all about choice and thats one of the things i love about the xbox. I mean at least we have that option unlike sonys PS3, I cant stand having to mute a whole lobby of people at a time just because they feel the need to blurt out curse words like its the new "cool" thing to do. i like to enjoy my games and not have them killed for me by little kids who do not understand the concept on SHHHHHHHHHH.

bleh
04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
I know I don't have the various in-game chat channels muted and I never hear anyone talking so I don't know if it even works personally.

Joined a clan with a ton of people except NOBODY seems to talk on chat so it could be a short lived membership if I figure out how to leave the clan....

At least I can talk with friends in a XBL party consistently.

sc9000
04-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Simple reason is xbox kinect , water sounds, is worst then a screeching chalk board or a 12 year old kid screaming on there mic.
Were all to lazy to mute people now days, since down the road they will wake up and get a mic.

So we all just go into xbox party chat and yell at them and tell them to get a 5 dollar mic, to talk and we all got more control on the xbox live party chats.

this from person on xbox live for 8years and all my friends will approve this message.

Part me is i wish xbox live game chat went back to push to talk like good old days of halo 2, and add a button on controller , unless in a xbox party.

O yea i forgot my one buddy said , also you can hear the sun rising on the official bluetooth xbox wireless headset also. There a reason the white wireless headsets selling for so much they were awsome.

iam onlyme
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Gt in game. white nex. Phantomlisp on Xbox live if I'm on send an invite ill group and chat. But I don't think people realize how to accept group invites a lot of mine time out.

iam onlyme
04-15-2013, 09:56 AM
And to leave a clan. Right arrow till you get to your name on clan list right arrow once more leave clan

UsuallyDope
04-15-2013, 09:57 AM
I think a good reason for the party chats with your friends and people you like talking to, is so you can play the game without 12 year olds yelling through their headset or blasting music through the mic all game. You want the "social" aspect to xbox live? Automute people who go over a certain decibel.

FlamingNinja007
04-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Can anyone confirm a USB keyboard working or the chat pad for the controller? Anytime I go to post something in chat, it makes me bring up the Xbox chat thingy. It took me until recently to realize that you can communicate via headset to people in your group. Personally, I don't want them to have microphones available in area chat. See, this is at least the third MMO that Xbox has seen. Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star Universe were both MMOs on the Xbox, and PSU had area chat available to headset users, and I heard way too many high pitched children voices than I wanted to. I left CoD for a reason. I think clan chat via headset should be made available. Now, if the chat pad works without bringing up the Xbox chat thingy, so I can't see my game, I will just purchase that and invite people to temporary parties. I, too, joined a clan, but it was kind of on accident. They don't chat much, but they have sent out group invites for instances and stuff that was nice. What clan are you in, OP?

I apologize if there are any spelling or grammar errors. Doing this on your phone is quite difficult.

duction
04-15-2013, 10:19 AM
if you pull up the chat window you just hit return on the chatpad then type away, no need to bring up the vitual keyboard on screen.