PDA

View Full Version : for the hardcore gamers out there which generation of games do prefer

cjohn157
03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
for me I prefer the older games for like the game cube, game boy, dreamcast, n64, ps1, 2 and the orginal xbox the reason i prefore them is cause the game were unique in there on way and werent all the exact same game with just a differnt name when companies were constantly trying new things in games i rember buying games for a good story not multiplayer but thats just my opionion. whats yours?

Paladin
03-09-2013, 11:34 PM
2006- current with ps2 games sprinkled in there. I've found lots of games that move out of the dull thing you see in all the major titles. Such as Demons/dark souls, god I love those games so much.

Moose Of Woe
03-10-2013, 12:09 AM
....Demons/dark souls, god I love those games so much.

Praise the SUN! Dark Souls is the best game I've bought in the past five+ years.

If I had to pick one particular generation, it would be SNES/Genesis. Although ultimately a flop, the Genesis+Sega CD+32X/ABOMINABLE TANK COMBO had some solid games. (Sonic CD, Lunar 1 and 2 for example...though that was more Sega CD than 32X.)

Regardless of the solid Genesis, the SNES had my favorite collection of games of any console ever made. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, ALTTP, FF6, the list goes on. The only console that comes close to the SNES library wise, to me, is the PS1. (Crediting the first console here, I know the PS2 and 3 play most of the PS1 library.)

My favorite time period was 1985/1986ish until 1999ish. (Right before Dreamcast/PS2) PC gaming was great in those days as well and, get this, Lucasarts made GOOD Star Wars games! X-wing/Tie Fighter......Dark Forces II...etc. None of this Star Wars: The Quicktime Event Unleashed crap where you watch the game do all the fun at the press/mash of a button.

I loved the NES days as well as PS1/N64. The N64 was technically horrible hardware (that frame rate on 4 player games, yuck!) but was still groundbreaking for console multiplayer and had some solid titles.

cjohn157
03-10-2013, 12:12 AM
chrono trigger was on of the best RPG'S of all time

Moose Of Woe
03-10-2013, 01:02 AM
chrono trigger was on of the best RPG'S of all time

Chrono Trigger isn't just my favorite RPG of all time, to me it's the best game ever made. (Tied with the original Legend of Zelda.)

The only knock I have on Chrono Trigger is the very, very easy difficulty (even by RPG standards). In spite of the difficulty Chrono Trigger's story, music and overall immersion greatly overshadow the lack of challenge.

lPATT
03-10-2013, 02:15 AM
i like all gen equally no discrimination here =D

Yooji
03-10-2013, 03:11 AM
counter strike 1.4 generation. it just started going downhill after that ..

Odinswolf
03-10-2013, 04:25 AM
no school like the old school. The games seemed to have a lot more going for them those days unlike today where it just seems to be recycled game after another.

OcelotKharn
03-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Im so old i remember the days of Alex the kid, however there are many games from different eras i loved. The original mario kart, Freelancer before microsoft switched the master server off, The original 3.5 Resident games, the original X-com games. However nowadays have some good games on the go, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid (All games), Fallout (1,2,3 and new vegas, wasnt too fond of the ps2 spin offs), Oblivion, Skyrim, Company of Heroes, STALKER (All), Id even go as far as saying Warcraft 1-3 The Frozen throne and WoW up until end of the Wrath of the Lich King.

Many games have given me years of enjoyment and stop the boredom but truth is I cant say which generation of games I liked the best coz I like them all.

Kroesis
03-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Well, I have yet to complete Fire Ant on the Commodore +4! I do recall my days of playing centipede on the Atari 2600 too. Must admit though that I prefer the current gen with the greater social interaction and graphics despite the numerous cookie cutter games littering the stores. I always love a good story though!

Grey
03-10-2013, 12:47 PM
The days on the PS1

TR GunPlay
03-10-2013, 01:13 PM
N64 hands down. I still go back and The Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64. Maybe I'll play those while I wait for Defiance actually

Riz
03-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Being a young boy, there was this pretty small, but kinda heavy package under the christmastree in 1990. My first Gameboy including Tetris. Still the most special one :)

SupaStaVince
03-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Anything that isnt a current gen shooter, except Defiance.

SupaStaVince
03-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Anything that ISNT a current gen shooter, except games like Defiance.