PDA

View Full Version : whole point of a mmo game is....

dustin148
04-12-2013, 07:48 PM
the whole point of a mmo game is communication and being able to play with friends.. for one i aint got many people to play with on ps3 but i never see anyone talking in chat that much and the mics just suck they never work.. so my point is how am i supose to enjoy my time?

vorxdargo
04-12-2013, 08:17 PM
physically started talking to someone. if people won't start talking, you start. as for the mics, i say it all the time: i feel they have no place in an MMO, war games and sports only.

nathanpbutler
04-12-2013, 08:38 PM
the whole point of a mmo game is communication and being able to play with friends.. for one i aint got many people to play with on ps3 but i never see anyone talking in chat that much and the mics just suck they never work.. so my point is how am i supose to enjoy my time?

Part of the issue is that many PS3 players simply don't have microphones to use. I currently own each of the major consoles and portables: PS3 (my main console), Xbox 360 (just for exclusives like Alan Wake), Wii U, Vita, and 3DS. The PS3 is the only one that, from day one until now, does not generally come packaged with some form of either built-in or packed-in microphone or headset. With so few MMO's on PS3, and so few third person shooters that have the same following as first person shooters on PS3 (barring Uncharted), I'm not surprised that those looking for a third person shooter MMO on PS3 would find themselves approaching it more like a microphone-less experience, rather than picking up one. Heck, I even own the PS bluetooth headset to use, and that sucker has been gathering dust since about a month after I bought it.

It just isn't an obvious thing for many PS3 players. : shrug :

DeMoted
04-12-2013, 08:44 PM
I thought chat was broken which is why you see no one talk.

nathanpbutler
04-12-2013, 09:11 PM
I thought chat was broken which is why you see no one talk.

It may still be, though I've heard at least a couple of people talking via group voice chat during a couple of co-op missions and random grouping out in the side missions.

jonwes
04-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I never thought of that as the point. I like to play with people, but never necessarily want to chat with them. So I'm not sure that's the point of MMOs... but it's a nice thing to have, and I do agree it should work better for those that want to.

DeMoted
04-12-2013, 09:17 PM
It may still be, though I've heard at least a couple of people talking via group voice chat during a couple of co-op missions and random grouping out in the side missions.

Yea I thought group chat was the only thing that worked. I see mics for group voice but never hear anything ot sometimes it is a faint crackle.

jonwes
04-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Yea I thought group chat was the only thing that worked. I see mics for group voice but never hear anything ot sometimes it is a faint crackle.

Usually I hear one person go "Is anyone on? Anyone on?" and then that's that. LOL. I did hear an actual conversation during a Shadow War earlier today for the first time. I have a mic on my headset... I just haven't used it yet. I think I'm too self-conscious. I have a smaller apartment, and I would feel weird yelling out "go over there!" "I've got him!" or whatever while someone else is one room away. LOL.

Lolwut
04-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I thought you could only talk in group chat as the main chat is bugged or some sort? I will have to try this when I get on.

dustin148
04-12-2013, 10:02 PM
i just always gamed on pc when it comes to mmo games im use to a mic so guess ill start using my keyboard on the ps3. if anyone is willing to game every once in awhile i got a kid and a life so i dont play too much but u could add me.. its Tank_Rebel69 for ps3 NA well thanks for all the feedback guys :D

Greyfox
04-13-2013, 12:08 AM
physically started talking to someone. if people won't start talking, you start. as for the mics, i say it all the time: i feel they have no place in an MMO, war games and sports only.

how can you say mics dont belong in an mmo, any co-op game is about communication best way to do that is talk not type in the middle of a fight

vorxdargo
04-13-2013, 12:39 AM
how can you say mics dont belong in an mmo, any co-op game is about communication best way to do that is talk not type in the middle of a fight
then why do they all put keyboard support in? MMOs started and are always created to be text base, only later do they add in mics.

Fatalmephisto
04-13-2013, 12:52 AM
I always check when I'm doing a Major Arkfall and ill post in chat if anyone has a mic to send me an invite. I get about 2-5 invites almost every time i do those. Using a USB keyboard or the chatpad the PS3 has can be a huge plus for those that like chatting. Plus give the game some time, DCUO took a while before it became huge in the chat boxes. Once this game gets most of the kinks out of the game. It will start to take off.

vorxdargo
04-13-2013, 01:48 AM
I always check when I'm doing a Major Arkfall and ill post in chat if anyone has a mic to send me an invite. I get about 2-5 invites almost every time i do those. Using a USB keyboard or the chatpad the PS3 has can be a huge plus for those that like chatting. Plus give the game some time, DCUO took a while before it became huge in the chat boxes. Once this game gets most of the kinks out of the game. It will start to take off.

exactly, what people with mics also don't get is using a mic really does eat into connection strength, come on is it that hard to get that in an online game a mic wouldn't? the game has to add in the connection of the mic to the connection of the player's online signal AND add in the other players who could be all the way on the other side of the country. then there's the internet provider connection you have to take into account, its just a mess. while with a keyboard its in the system itself, no connection strength needed.

EvilWaterman
04-13-2013, 02:55 AM
It would have made sense for this game to come with a cheap USB keyboard

Fatalmephisto
04-13-2013, 03:19 AM
It would have made sense for this game to come with a cheap USB keyboard

Not really no, after all 10 dollars gets you a cheap USB keyboard. It's a console game to begin with number one. There is more of a chance of seeing a limited edition of Defiance with a fancy keyboard or something, then seeing that on the PS3. Also i take it that no one uses the chatpad that you can buy for the PS3.

EvilWaterman
04-13-2013, 03:20 AM
Not really no, after all 10 dollars gets you a cheap USB keyboard. It's a console game to begin with number one. There is more of a chance of seeing a limited edition of Defiance with a fancy keyboard or something, then seeing that on the PS3. Also i take it that no one uses the chatpad that you can buy for the PS3.

I don't see why not to be honest. if it had come with one then people on the consoles would be talking.

Bullyboutya
04-13-2013, 06:20 AM

I agree i have a mic I've had one since day one of owning my ps3. In defiance i dont see the need to talk. Most people i play know what they are doing.

SSlarg
04-13-2013, 06:30 AM

you apparently read about it and are complaining without having tested it.
I was on my headset for Fourteen Hours yesterday (with one recharge lol) with my clan as we did co-op,
Shadow War, and then went to some arkfalls and our headsets worked perfectly the whole time.
and I am on PS3.

6Strummer
04-13-2013, 12:30 PM

The whole point of a MMO is to play in a world with lots of people. Communication is nice, especially in PvP, but not always necessary. Most people who do have mics don't say anything useful anyway. I was in a co-op instance yesterday and the only person using a mic was just cursing the game and talking about how unfair it was... as he ran out into groups of enemies by himself and died repeatedly while the rest of the group wisely hung back. I've used my mic some with friends, and the mics have worked fine most of the time, but I have more fun and get more immersed in the game if no one is talking. I have different loadouts for different situations and I use the one that seems to be the most help to the group. No talking needed, just observation.

As for text chat, it's not in a very useful state but I think Trion is working on some fixes.

Anyway, I enjoy my time regardless of the chat situation.

Tero
04-13-2013, 01:02 PM

The PS3 version of this game is the least played, I regret buying it for PS3, and the chat is broken. If it's possible they should merge the console servers and use the ingame community (when fixed) to cross console communicate.

NeoDraven
04-13-2013, 02:29 PM
WHole point of an MMO is to have the option to be able play with other people on your systems network.

chrismeyer34
04-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Usually I hear one person go "Is anyone on? Anyone on?" and then that's that. LOL. I did hear an actual conversation during a Shadow War earlier today for the first time. I have a mic on my headset... I just haven't used it yet. I think I'm too self-conscious. I have a smaller apartment, and I would feel weird yelling out "go over there!" "I've got him!" or whatever while someone else is one room away. LOL.

hey i do it all the time on sniper elite v2 lmao...id be like " damn dude, hes hiding by that rock, you can barely see em but he's there! " lol...well when ive done co-op on here i can barely hear the other players and my mic is set pretty high just in case, i think the players need to set it just a bit higher so people can actually hear them

watk
04-13-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't know why people say most ps3 payers don't have mics. All hundred friends have mics. I am in clan on may with 500 members requirement is you have mic. I appreciate yoummo guys who don't like voice cat butp s3 players are not used to typing on a key board while playing. Everyone ha to remember this game has always been build as a third person shooter first with some mmo tendencies. Hope fully mic issues fixed Monday.

PRE
04-13-2013, 08:56 PM
I played DCUO day 1...

It was HALF of the game it is today.

Give trion time... they hear us

gonzo
04-14-2013, 09:22 AM
then why do they all put keyboard support in? MMOs started and are always created to be text base, only later do they add in mics.

Excellent point this is console not a computer. I personally am not going to type during middle of fire fight I need be able to call out for help through voice chat

eliosiss
04-14-2013, 10:06 AM
group chat not always work , they are aware of the issues and working on them

vorxdargo
04-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Excellent point this is console not a computer. I personally am not going to type during middle of fire fight I need be able to call out for help through voice chat

you missed my point entirely..