PDA

View Full Version : I can't beat the 'last' boss.

Murasashi
04-12-2013, 11:10 PM
At first I was getting my *** kicked on the first phase until I started cheesing the fight with a BMG and being patient. Then the second phase began. My god, this boss is ridiculous. The whole game I've been forced to fight behind cover and retreat when enemies advance because of how much damage they deal with such great accuracy.
Suddenly, Defiance throws all of my tactics out the window with Nim, rendering my Stealth power and related perks worthless as he dances around me like a cyber-ninja, blasting me with splash-damaging shots and running at me at full force in a tiny arena and what I could only describe as patronizing sets of "cover".

I've been incredibly patient with this game, from my character's paper-like defenses to the marginal sense of progression regarding weapons and shields, but this guy has broken my back over his freaking knee. I'm completely thrown out of my element with this boss and I just don't feel masochistic enough to keep trying.

I guess I'll just do the other content until something changes.

BSager
04-12-2013, 11:20 PM
It is kind of a dumb fight. My first attempt I got my *** kicked in two seconds flat. But then I just figured to keep moving and never stand still for more then a second. The fight takes forever but it can be done. I use AR/Shotgun combo and it worked, but there might be better options.

Distrance
04-12-2013, 11:34 PM
To put it bluntly, learn to play.

I kicked his *** on my FIRST TRY with nothing but overcharge and a pump shotgun at Ego 350. Don't cry to Trion to have him gimped any more to where if you so much as blow on him, he'll fall over and die.

The pillars are your greatest ally, use them and roll dodge plenty.

Indolo
04-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Keep strafing around him when he's zipping around. When the clones come out, it's sorta luck as far as hitting the right one, but it does make a different sound when you're hitting the real one. When he does his big attacks, in second and third stages, duck behind something till after the blast and then run out and shoot him. Third stage I found it easiest to dance around the center pillar, then go back behind one of the side pillars when the crystals pop up.

I got a nice shotgun right before that fight and ended up using it. Good burst damage without a lot of aiming to take quick advantage of his openings.

Don't try to rush the fight.

Taaltos
04-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Strafing. Dodging. Lots of hip firing.

Use the middle column to break line of site.

Sargonnax
04-12-2013, 11:50 PM
I also beat him on my first try, but I think it was a pretty good fight overall. Use perks like Fortitude, Failsafe, Cellular Armor, Thick Skinned, and Escape Artist.

Nusoul
04-13-2013, 12:07 AM
hey there :) I can see many people struggling with that boss to be honest the only advice I can give u is just take your time with it and learn the tack and try things out. I didn't have to much trouble with him tack wise but I did have trouble doing it on my pc I am forced to use at the moment its an old duel core with SD ram sigh !! so I kind of feel your pain :) basically 1st phase I just ran sideways a lot and popped him with a shotgun 2nd phase I just used 1 of the columns to take cover and kill an used cloak ego if things took a turn for the worse, 3rd phase I used the centre ring (the spire) and just killed him running around that, but thats about it the rest u will just have to learn.

just to add my girlfriend did him last night (on her good pc) sigh ! :) and she only used a BMG for all 3 phases and she pissed all over the fight ridiculously easy did the 1st phase 1 shot 2nd phase 2 shot and 3rd phase 4 shots yes she whooped it with ease with a healing gun took less than an hour lol :)

so I suggest anyone struggling with the last boss fight to use a bmg, dps and heal ur self up lol happy hunting :)

Uncle Coord
04-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Boss is super easy to beat, just roll around, I don't think he even broke my shield across all 3 phases... His moves are massively easy to predict, and therefore stupidly easy to dodge.

Important45
04-13-2013, 12:19 AM
L2play.. It's an easy fight and it only takes a bit to learn his rotation.

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 12:21 AM
L2play.. It's an easy fight and it only takes a bit to learn his rotation.
It's not an easy fight.

It's tedious and challenging.

I had a blast with it. But it's not easy.

Thunderclap
04-13-2013, 12:27 AM
I think the complaint is that some people thats not their style and they don't want to fight like that. They want to stand still and for lack of a better word, tank him. Why is that wrong? (for the record I haven't got there so as of yet I dont have an issue but seeing that I should be pretty buffed up it should be mid range.)

Important45
04-13-2013, 12:28 AM
It's not an easy fight.

It's tedious and challenging.

I had a blast with it. But it's not easy.

LOL..
First phase, his attacks are similar to a tanker or a hulker. Easy dodging. No skill required.
Second phase, hide behind a pillar, pop his clones with a AR with mod scope. Run around, kite.
Third phase was the only decent challenge and it should have been like this or more of a challenge right at the start, but there's still an easy way out of it.. Stand behind the machine in the middle of the room when he's about to barrage or slam.

Lol, how is it not an easy fight?

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 12:33 AM
LOL..
First phase, his attacks are similar to a tanker or a hulker. Easy dodging. No skill required.
Second phase, hide behind a pillar, pop his clones with a AR with mod scope. Run around, kite.
Third phase was the only decent challenge and it should have been like this or more of a challenge right at the start, but there's still an easy way out of it.. Stand behind the machine in the middle of the room when he's about to barrage or slam.

Lol, how is it not an easy fight?

I was having trouble. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhPPkg3AK2c

He hits quite hard.

Important45
04-13-2013, 12:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhPPkg3AK2c

He hits quite hard.

2:24, I'm not going to watch anymore. You were using stealth and a pistol and were getting hit by his charge..

Edit: You died in first phase, lul

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 12:38 AM
2:24, I'm not going to watch anymore. You were using stealth and a pistol and were getting hit by his charge..

Yup. This was my first go at him. I stayed away from other people strats, had no idea what to expect.

mikegonzalez2k
04-13-2013, 12:38 AM
P1
His attacks include
1) Yellow laserswords which you can run to the side to avoid
2) Red missile like fireballs, run and then roll to the side
3) Dash attack, just dodge by rolling to the side and running away
4) Charged Dash (blue energy charge), avoid these multiple dashes.
5) Blur, he turns blue and just runs up to slash you, roll and run

Try to keep distance from him (opposite side of room)
If he's using those yellow lasers or the red fireball looking missile attacks just roll to the side and run.

The time to actually hit him is when he is busy running around side to side far away from you.
The best time to use overcharge is after his blue energy charge. After about 3 or 4 of them he'll pause for a brief moment, you can really pound him hard at this point.

P2
The room changes and now has obstacles, use them for cover.
Here is where I recommend using a splash damage weapon.
Hide behind pillars launch explosives and let them hurt him while you're protected.
There are lots of things to hide behind so use them.

P3
There will be only 2 main pillars for cover now.
So while killing the clones you will want to sometimes alternate to the other pillar to avoid fire.
He gets pissed alot in this phase and does a ground pound that novas and sends stuff flying your way. The trick to that is to stay out of his line of sight.
As soon as he recovers go in hard and hit him with everything you've got. A couple times of this will make him teleport away. During that time quickly collect ammo then prepare to kill the clones at the far top part of the room. Quickly disperse them and collect ammo once more before the clones spawn again.

I recommend this build it maximizes the duration of overcharge thus giving you the best damage on him. With it I killed him in only a few tries.
You should use the perks that increase duration of OC, and decrease time in between.
I've highlighted some other survival perks (use as needed)
http://defiance-central.com/ego-calculator/?link=6c-7a-8c-18e-26a-27c-30a-35c-36c-40c-45c-50c-55c-&start=18

I used an Assault Rifle with shock to kill him.
A good secondary weapon is a combat shotgun with explosives so you can hit around walls(splash damage)...

I learned all this just by playing him, not watching a vid. If you study your opponent you can learn his strat and weaknesses too. You guys just have to try harder. Don't just run and gun like a mindless player. Think about what the enemy is doing, then think of ways you can counter them. Using that simple rule will allow you to beat most bosses in most games.

Youngwings
04-13-2013, 12:39 AM
How is this boss so damn hard for some people? It literally took me less then a minute for all 3 phases of combat. Please tell me what possibly makes him so hard to beat? (And im not asking sarcastically, i really want to know so i can help people devise a good strategy to beat him).

Nusoul
04-13-2013, 12:41 AM
tbh when you know the fight it is easy, but when u 1st step foot inside running blind I don't care who u are, u are gunna struggle a bit an for people that say he didn't even break my shield and I did it 1st try,
well u watched a vid on utube and learnt the fight before u went in an if u say u didn't u lie :/ there is no way on earth u can go into that fight blind and not no the fight and do all 3 stages with out breaking your shield its not easy if u don't no wot to do u have to learn the tack u will take a few deaths doing so because u don't no wot to expect its a fact

Important45
04-13-2013, 12:46 AM
tbh when you know the fight it is easy, but when u 1st step foot inside running blind I don't care who u are, u are gunna struggle a bit an for people that say he didn't even break my shield and I did it 1st try,
well u watched a vid on utube and learnt the fight before u went in an if u say u didn't u lie :/ there is no way on earth u can go into that fight blind and not no the fight and do all 3 stages with out breaking your shield its not easy if u don't no wot to do u have to learn the tack u will take a few deaths doing so because u don't no wot to expect its a fact

I just predicted people aren't using the roll key enough and think all games should be stand still and shoot when it's not the case of a boss fight. If Hulkers and tankers aren't big bosses in the game, then it's going to require a bit more to beat Nim. Common sense.

EpicJAwa
04-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Heavy scatter gun is your best friend...
I didnt die untill the last mode.
And that was because of the a terraform hex knocking me into another terraform hex = insta killed

Youngwings
04-13-2013, 12:51 AM

Simple... 1200+ Shield with a 3 second delay... he only hit me for about 25-50% of my shield, IF he hit me. The big part was the ammout of dmg i hit him with. (Using a Cranker Infector and VOT AR with Overcharge) That Combo Stacks about 600 dmg per second onto him, combined with about 50-60 dmg per hit, about 15 hits per second. Droped him like a fly, 3 times in a row. If you move instend of stand in front of him like "look at me, im a bad@ss, come hit me"... hes REALLY simple.

Viibl
04-13-2013, 12:51 AM
Killed him first try, no deaths. Used a Detonator and a Tachmag SMG. Cloaked to buy myself reload or shield recharge time when I needed it.

Kited with the grenades to chip away at him and/or knock off clones, and when I saw an opening I poured a bunch of SMG rounds into his head. Took a while, but manageable. Never stopped running or rolling. I felt some pride after knocking it out on the first go.

He's probably the hardest fight in the game but the ceiling isn't very high right now. I'm sure that'll change later.

mikegonzalez2k
04-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Don't try to actually hurt him at first, just practice watching his movements, and get used to rolling/running. If you practice it enough the first phase shouldn't even hurt you at all.

It seems that most of us that are saying it is easy are all using Overcharge...

Maybe the rest of you should as well.. Just sayin...

No need to cloak there are walls, no need to blur run away, decoy could help on clones but kind of useless on the fight in general.

Skeety
04-13-2013, 01:57 AM

He hits quite hard.
I like your vids! Are you going to put up parts 3 & 4 of Nim Boss Battle - OY?