PDA

View Full Version : Defiance under the radar? Why Gamestop!?

Lightning
03-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Hi guys, I'm a new member on this website and I just wanted to make my first post happen.
I pre-ordered Defiance (Standard) for the Xbox 360 on full price at Gamestop, and I asked them if they're gonna drop a midnight open for it. Sadly, there's only 25 pre-orders here at Wisconsin, Sheboygan. They will only drop a midnight open if there's at least 50 pre-orders. I wanted a midnight open so bad but I don't think it's gonna happen because Sheboygan is a boring and quiet city. How about you guys? I'm not so lucky. :(

A s0t
03-10-2013, 11:53 PM
im getting a 3rd copy from walmart it 24/7

Paladin
03-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Well don't give up hope yet. Trion is known to burst out of the unknown and deliver the last week before release with loads of advertisements. So you may have a chance, but they like to keep the hype very low until near release.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Hi guys, I'm a new member on this website and I just wanted to make my first post happen.
I pre-ordered Defiance (Standard) for the Xbox 360 on full price at Gamestop, and I asked them if they're gonna drop a midnight open for it. Sadly, there's only 25 pre-orders here at Wisconsin, Sheboygan. They will only drop a midnight open if there's at least 50 pre-orders. I wanted a midnight open so bad but I don't think it's gonna happen because Sheboygan is a boring and quiet city. How about you guys? I'm not so lucky. :(

Sheboygan isn't that boring I like to stop on way to Wolf river during the Brat Days. Also your lucky where I'm at they only have 3 pre-orders and we're about same size town.

lPATT
03-11-2013, 12:03 AM
I win , my ebgames got 1 pre order and they are doing a midnight release =D .... ohh wait no that was a dream =(

Paladin
03-11-2013, 12:07 AM
I win , my ebgames got 1 pre order and they are doing a midnight release =D .... ohh wait no that was a dream =(
That midnight release sounds awkward as hell:/

Defy
03-11-2013, 12:08 AM
there will surely be more preorders as release date approaches, maybe enough to justify midnight release

0_d4RK_FaLLen
03-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Wonder what they would do if someone pre-ordered enough games to force a midnight release then canceled all but one.

Akado
03-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Usually if a midnight were to happen they'd make people know atleast a week before time. If a store just barely gets enough pre-orders the day before release, I wouldn't expect a midnight.

Wonder what they would do if someone pre-ordered enough games to force a midnight release then canceled all but one.

Most likely has to be a certain amount of people not just pre-orders. Also, you have no idea how messed up that would be to the person/store that would have to take all those cancels.

Dead_Phoenix
03-11-2013, 01:32 AM
firstly welcome.

and secondly its because we want to keep them pesky trolls out! but seriously, there has been alot of questions about why not many know about defiance. i suppose with the big ps4 announcements, and other titles like destiny, firefall etc. Defiance has been a little lost in the crowd.

either that or they are hoping the tv show advertising will do a little more of the work.

TheNeoReaper
03-11-2013, 03:04 AM
Talk to a good friend of mine @ gamestop who happens to be a manger there & he told me there will not be a midnight release.

Dead_Phoenix
03-11-2013, 04:49 AM
Talk to a good friend of mine @ gamestop who happens to be a manger there & he told me there will not be a midnight release.

we have an ex-game stop manager amongst us. it will be pre-order depedant. they need something like 100 pre-orders. or trion to fund a midnight opening, which i doubt they would.

so it may happen if the store gets a sudden rush of pre-orders. doubtful tho

Defy
03-11-2013, 04:50 AM

If you are friends with the manager tell him to do the midnight release :)

rathb18
03-11-2013, 04:51 AM

Why do you need 3 copies of the same game?

Cyrox
03-11-2013, 04:54 AM

Don't tell me bought 3 copies to get 3 starting weapons :D

Dead_Phoenix
03-11-2013, 04:54 AM
Why do you need 3 copies of the same game?

going for 7? one for each day of the week?

DarkKnyt29
03-11-2013, 04:55 AM

Welcome to this thing we call Defiance. Yeah I dont think my store is doing a midnight opening for Defiance either. I had to explain what Defiance was to the Gamestop rep and I got him interested in checking it out along with two other employees haha

SweetMadness
03-11-2013, 04:58 AM
firstly welcome.

and secondly its because we want to keep them pesky trolls out! but seriously, there has been alot of questions about why not many know about defiance. i suppose with the big ps4 announcements, and other titles like destiny, firefall etc. Defiance has been a little lost in the crowd.

either that or they are hoping the tv show advertising will do a little more of the work.

360 Dashboard advertisement today :D

rathb18
03-11-2013, 05:00 AM
Don't tell me bought 3 copies to get 3 starting weapons :D

My friend did that with STO and bought the life time sub. He spent around $600 for that 1 game.

ShadowStrider 7
03-11-2013, 05:01 AM
When I preordered Defiance from my local FailStop, they had no idea that this game existed. I can't tell you how many times that I have known more information for existing and upcoming games vs your average FailStop employee. Where do they get these people?

rathb18
03-11-2013, 05:04 AM
When I preordered Defiance from my local FailStop, they had no idea that this game existed. I can't tell you how many times that I have known more information for existing and upcoming games vs your average FailStop employee. Where do they get these people?

Same place they find the "Geek Squad" employees?

SweetMadness
03-11-2013, 05:08 AM
When I preordered Defiance from my local FailStop, they had no idea that they had the option to sell this game. I can't tell you how many times that I have known more information for existing and upcoming games vs your average FailStop employee. Where do they get these people?

They're a corporation like any other, how do you guys not understand this? People are desperate for jobs, and corporations will take anyone regardless of experience in order to keep people's hours down. Not to be insulting, but you'd have to be arrogant to seriously expect them to know about every game, and every detail about it.

ShadowStrider 7
Same place they find the "Geek Squad" employees?

lol

Geek Squad: "If we can't fix it, you're f****d"

New slogan^

iiReLaX o
Sheboygan? Pronunciation please.

My guess is She-Boy-Gan. Am I correct?

But I'm sure you'll get some more preorders by April.

Dead_Phoenix
03-11-2013, 05:09 AM

might want to watch what your saying. we have gamestop guys here :P

ShadowStrider 7
03-11-2013, 05:09 AM
They're a corporation like any other, how do you guys not understand this? People are desperate for jobs, and corporations will take anyone regardless of experience in order to keep people's hours down. Not to be insulting, but you'd have to be arrogant to seriously expect them to know about every game, and every detail about it.

Agreed, but even the most basic knowledge of "AAA" titles, such as Halo, have evaded their employees. (At least at my FailStop)

ShadowStrider 7
03-11-2013, 05:11 AM
might want to watch what your saying. we have gamestop guys here :P

If there are GameStop guys here, then at least they actually know about this game.

MOnte
03-11-2013, 05:42 AM
To be honest, there hasn't been a lot of real advertisement. Most of it has been word of mouth or through the game shows (Like E3). I think they are banking on SyFy show doing most of there advertisement. I think you will see a big jump in sales then.

Damagefox
03-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Well don't give up hope yet. Trion is known to burst out of the unknown and deliver the last week before release with loads of advertisements. So you may have a chance, but they like to keep the hype very low until near release.

As far as I see it, this is kind of a blessing in disguise if you think about it. HOW MANY games have had the holy hell hyped out of them only to end up completely blowing it which then earns the gamers rage. By holding off on the hype and advertisement flood, they dont have to RELY on hype and therefore will be able to sell the game on its own merits. |They dont need to hire high priced actors to build up the game, the game can stand up on its own which will make it a better game and more likely to succeed as a whole.

Dont mind me, thats my furry fuzzy logic :P

ShadowStrider 7
03-11-2013, 05:47 AM
As far as I see it, this is kind of a blessing in disguise if you think about it. HOW MANY games have had the holy hell hyped out of them only to end up completely blowing it which then earns the gamers rage. By holding off on the hype and advertisement flood, they dont have to RELY on hype and therefore will be able to sell the game on its own merits. |They dont need to hire high priced actors to build up the game, the game can stand up on its own which will make it a better game and more likely to succeed as a whole.

Furry Fuzzy logic aside, this is a valid point. I completely stand by it.

RikanMel
03-11-2013, 05:51 AM
My guess and opinion, they are waiting for the show to air so they can do all the advertising on the channel. Either way their PR Manager should step up and so some conferences or advertising other than SyFy, and social website as Facebook and Twitter. If they don't do a aggressive marketing on this game it won't sell as expected then the blame goes to the poor developers which did they part.

IceSlice
03-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Furry Fuzzy logic aside, this is a valid point. I completely stand by it.

Yeah i agree ive seen so many games fail due to unnecessary hype. Let the game speak for itself and not only will you get a good community but one that will actually stick to the game.

ShadowStrider 7
03-11-2013, 06:00 AM
That's my fear. Upon release, if the game does not meet expectations, the community will dwindle. Having no hype at this point should avoid that. I don't like to provide examples or comparisons to other games, but this happened to Crysis 3. Release day had just over 2000 players on Xbox LIVE. Now, that number is less than 400 at times due to let-downs and lack of support. As long as Trion lets the game speak for itsself, stand by their final product and continue to support it, this should be a pretty solid experience.

Fiancee
03-11-2013, 06:03 AM
TW is very new company, their debut game Rift came just 2 year ago. They're doing great job at getting into game world. ALSO keep in mind they are their own publishers as well...

Kantazo
03-11-2013, 06:04 AM

There are more important things in life than a computer game. There is no reason to go to deep end because the store will not open at midnight. I will be in bed at midnight and to work in the morning and will not play until I get home from work. Dont let little things in life hold you captive, addictions are bad. If it is released at midnight good, if it is not good too, what happens if you have a power outtage, would you jump out of a bridge because of that?

A game is a game, something to have fun and kick back and relax, it is more important the social relationships you can create through this game than the game itself. So cool your jets Mighty Mouse. ;)

DarkKnyt29
03-11-2013, 06:13 AM
There are more important things in life than a computer game. There is no reason to go to deep end because the store will not open at midnight. I will be in bed at midnight and to work in the morning and will not play until I get home from work. Dont let little things in life hold you captive, addictions are bad. If it is released at midnight good, if it is not good too, what happens if you have a power outtage, would you jump out of a bridge because of that?

A game is a game, something to have fun and kick back and relax, it is more important the social relationships you can create through this game than the game itself. So cool your jets Mighty Mouse. ;)

Haha with Mighty Mouse. Im not going to lie. Im trying to get as much time on the first day to play but if I cant, its cool. Im even trying to make it so my work meetings happen the day before or after the release date so I can play at home haha

Kantazo
03-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Haha with Mighty Mouse. Im not going to lie. Im trying to get as much time on the first day to play but if I cant, its cool. Im even trying to make it so my work meetings happen the day before or after the release date so I can play at home haha

LOL, I know, I am going to try to do the same, I may take a vacation day, lol but if I cant, oh well

PurePlayinSerb
03-11-2013, 06:49 AM

i had the same situation, asked the guy if its getting pre-orders cause i said, i only heard about this game about a month ago and am impressed, i wonder if people even know about it, he said actually hes surprised how many were pre ordering it, and told me usually they don't do midnight releases around this time of year, but he said ya never know things could change from now and then

KILLER
03-16-2013, 05:14 PM

What is this relax you speak of?

Foxhop
03-16-2013, 05:26 PM

But it makes so much sense! :o!
Though I do kinda wish there was -some- advertisement beyond what they have, heck, I can log into most the MMO's I play, talk about Defiance, and in response, everyone is just like 'What's that?'

Ark Cansada
03-16-2013, 05:39 PM
I kept getting it confused with the hype about Destiny, to be honest. And only one employee at GameStop actually knew what I was talking about, because he introduced me to the game!

But yeah. I talked to the folks at my GameStop. They seemed a bit surprised that 1)People were preordering it and 2) -I- was preordering it. Disconcerting when you're preordering a collector's edition and they seem confused that you would want it. One of the GameStop employees even told me "It's gonna suck, dude - it's based on a TV show or something." :|

I do think it's sad they're struggling with that bias. I've seen that mentioned a few places. I think it goes along with the assumption that any game based on a movie will be abysmal - the fact that the game and show were developed together seems to be escaping people.

Foxhop
03-16-2013, 05:50 PM
It does not seem to be just Gamestop either.
Not many people, and gamers even know what Defiance even is.
If not getting it mixed up with Destiny, most hadn't a clue.
Sad thing is, is when I explained it, a lot of folks actually went and checked it out, so the interest -is- out there.. they just don't know about it. Hm..is it legal to advertise something you don't own? xD

SxDrugsNCake
03-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Literally no one I'm friends with knows about this game. I only stumbled upon it through Metacritic. I can't explain why something this big a deal, is flying so low under the radar. It just doesn't make sense. You'd figure that a console supported MMO, with reputable backing, would be the talk of the town.

Arinzal
03-16-2013, 06:06 PM
The GameStop i went to preorder Defiance at didn't know a thing about the game. Then again they didn't know a thing about the Wii U before and after it came out. Its sad how gamestop/EBgames doesn't train its staff to read up on all gaming news both hardware and software.

Ark Cansada
03-16-2013, 06:19 PM
I wonder if they actually want to keep the initial release on the down-low to make sure nothing goes wrong? If most of your first-day fan base are people who sought out the game and have been enthusiastic enough to do their own research and preorder, they'll be a lot more forgiving than a bigger crowd of people that watched a handful of live-action trailers and bought it with zero research. It would certainly save some headaches on release day, and then they could still use the show to advertise for the game both directly (with ads) and indirectly (with the connections between the show and the game).

VictorTwoRomeo
03-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Seriously I used to work at Gamestop and then just like now it amazes me at how some of the employees dont even LIKE video games when they work in a video game store, i mean when i pre-ordered my UE it was still a gamestop exclusive, and the Assisstant Manager at my store didnt even know they had it. I said yes I would like to reserve the UE for Defiance and he said I dont think Gamestop is doing the UE , to which i promptly face palmed and said its a Gamestop exclsive bro

Foxhop
03-16-2013, 06:26 PM
I want to work at Gamestop..
random gaming stuff is all I tend to remember, from lore to release dates (I have memory problems -.-; )
and feel it is something I would love doing and work hard to be the best...yet I'm always shown up by folks as described..knowing little and caring less. *sighs*

lemieux
03-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Sadly, there's only 25 pre-orders here at Wisconsin, Sheboygan.

Isn't that place pretty much where you go after taking the black to join the Night's Watch?

lol

Sorry had to do it. ;) All I think about is Lambeau Field when you go northern US.

MacDeath
03-16-2013, 10:28 PM
While I can agree that Defiance is somewhat under the radar, I wouldn't expect midnight store openings. Don't most people pre-order these days? If you pre-order your're in the beta and already have the game installed. No need to grab a physical copy at midnight to get the install started. Just go in anytime the start day and pick up your verification code to keep playing. I also expect that more than half of the pre-orders are for digital copies, so no need to visit a physical store.

JerZey CJ
03-16-2013, 10:28 PM
360 Dashboard advertisement today :D
My local Gamestop had an ad up for it today as well. Granted, it wasn't a very big ad, it was one of those 2ft wide(about) posters that are by the register/counter.

Akado
03-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Gamestop doesn't require its employees to know everything about every game. Gamestop only cares if you can get numbers (trades, cards, preorders.) I for one didn't know anything about this game up until 2 months ago. Everyone wants the next COD/BF/Sports game anyway. Out of all my transactions in a week I probably get 1 person that I can mention it to and they might actually consider checking it out. Doesn't stop me from offering the pitch "Anything you want to preorder? Like Defiance maybe?!?" but its like a Magikarp using Splash "It has no effect."

So ya, you can't blame the employees when most customers come in for the same game everyone gets every year.

Valethar
03-17-2013, 12:15 AM
when i pre-ordered my UE it was still a gamestop exclusive

As far as I know, it still is in the US.

Arinzal
03-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Ue is only available in US/Canda from what most of the sites say.

SuperFiasco
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah it looks like this game is going under the radar. A lot of sites are not even doing coverage of this game. I really hope this is good. But I think its being overshadowed. I hope I am wrong.

UmbrusNightshade
03-17-2013, 06:58 PM
We have a video (and video game) rental store that also sales games and various knickknacks, etc. here called Hastings Entertainment. There is absolutely nothing about Defiance there. They don't have it listed within their pre-order section, there is no mention of it in their ads and there is nothing in the store that even points to the existence of this game. I'm kind of saddened by this. I know it's not as big of a company as GameStop but it is the kind of store that should have information about the game.

Rampermt
03-17-2013, 07:16 PM
I actually first found out about Defiance through Gamestop....lol. IMO Defiance will be the sleeper hit of 2013!

Desidus
03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
I actually first found out about Defiance through Gamestop....lol. IMO Defiance will be the sleeper hit of 2013!

Wow.. you must have the only knowledgable gamestop in ... well anywhere.

UmbrusNightshade
03-17-2013, 07:21 PM

Yeah. I don't have one here and rarely ever get to go to the one that is like an hour away. I knew about it the very first time that either GameInformer or GameSpy covered it because my brother hunts the internet all the time for info on upcoming games. That was a long time ago. If it weren't for that I'd have learned about it from SyFy because my dad is obsessed with watching shows (and terrible B movies) on that channel. Guess I was lucky.

Desidus
03-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Yeah. I don't have one here and rarely ever get to go to the one that is like an hour away. I knew about it the very first time that either GameInformer or GameSpy covered it because my brother hunts the internet all the time for info on upcoming games. That was a long time ago. If it weren't for that I'd have learned about it from SyFy because my dad is obsessed with watching shows (and terrible B movies) on that channel. Guess I was lucky.

I actually don't even remember how I found out about it... ... ... wow I really don't... my memory sucks.

Ape One
03-17-2013, 07:41 PM
actually, I found out about the game though gamestop as well. I went to go get borderlands and the 3 guys wouldnt shut up about it. I was on the fence about getting the ulimate edition but they all got it themselves :P . Im actually pretty good friends with them we will all be playing on xbox. The store manager told me that at thier store; they only need about 20 more pre-orders, but even if thats the case some times teh games arriie to tthe store on the day of.

Kryhno
03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
I found out about the game online, however when I went in to order at Gamestop they had a sign at the desk. The clerk was definitely aware of the game and said he intended on buying the UE at some point. I ordered and paid for it in full (UE). The clerk was noticeably excited about the game. I am expecting the game to launch with decent numbers and once the show premiers the community will grow more and more with all the exposure.

UmbrusNightshade
03-17-2013, 08:02 PM
So basically it just boils down to how informed the GS managers/employees are. That makes sense I guess.

Chio Raver
03-17-2013, 08:24 PM

Your lucky the store i work at only has like 8 preorders. and 3 are me, my dad and my uncle. i talked to my manager to try and do a midnight but our DM won't let him. It sucks trust me. But i don't mind waiting since im getting the gamestop exclusive edition :P
Edit: Mind you i tell everyone who walks in through the door about defiance starting with the pale wars and talking about gameplay and the story god i get so excited talking about it :P love defiance <3

Synder
03-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Your lucky the store i work at only has like 8 preorders. and 3 are me, my dad and my uncle. i talked to my manager to try and do a midnight but our DM won't let him. It sucks trust me. But i don't mind waiting since im getting the gamestop exclusive edition :P
Edit: Mind you i tell everyone who walks in through the door about defiance starting with the pale wars and talking about gameplay and the story god i get so excited talking about it :P love defiance <3

Guess it all depends on the individual Gamestop. I asked my buddy, thats the store manager.. he said they have a "decent" amount of preorders. Seeing how this is a small town, 35ish preorders isnt too bad at all I think,

Chio Raver
03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Guess it all depends on the individual Gamestop. I asked my buddy, thats the store manager.. he said they have a "decent" amount of preorders. Seeing how this is a small town, 35ish preorders isnt too bad at all I think,
That's really good actually especially for a game that hasn't had a bazillion ads or isn't really known about. The store i work at a lot the people don't play MMo's not to mention we don't even have a PC section in our store lol

Paladin
03-17-2013, 10:13 PM
That's really good actually especially for a game that hasn't had a bazillion ads or isn't really known about. The store i work at a lot the people don't play MMo's not to mention we don't even have a PC section in our store lol

No GameStop in Los Angeles has a PC section. You have to ask for a PC game from behind the counter.

Chio Raver
03-17-2013, 10:19 PM
No GameStop in Los Angeles has a PC section. You have to ask for a PC game from behind the counter.
The GS i first worked at still has one.

Paladin
03-17-2013, 10:25 PM
The GS i first worked at still has one.

You live in LA?

Chio Raver
03-17-2013, 10:34 PM
You live in LA?

no i live in Massachusetts lol i meant to put that in my post XD

MAXQSMART
03-17-2013, 10:37 PM
No midnight launch in Frederick, Maryland, either. Only 11 pre-orders received.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
03-17-2013, 10:39 PM
No midnight launch in Frederick, Maryland, either. Only 11 pre-orders received.

My local gamestop is up to 6 but I have 2 of them. I know the manager there and he said if they get 30 he'll open at midnight. Doesn't look like that will happen

Defy
03-17-2013, 10:56 PM
well I remember when I asked in my gamestop whats coming out next month, they did mention Defiance

0_d4RK_FaLLen
03-17-2013, 11:08 PM
well I remember when I asked in my gamestop whats coming out next month, they did mention Defiance

Your lucky if yours has employees that know what their talking about. Mine has few that don't know anything about games, and worse they like to make things up when they don't have the answers. Other day I was in there talking to another customer about defiance and the employee chimed in saying game is season based and you could only play it while during each season of the show. I asked for details and he claimed they got emails to make sure they told customers that. I really wanted to smack him, but don't want to be in jail for launch

Paladin
03-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Your lucky if yours has employees that know what their talking about. Mine has few that don't know anything about games, and worse they like to make things up when they don't have the answers. Other day I was in there talking to another customer about defiance and the employee chimed in saying game is season based and you could only play it while during each season of the show. I asked for details and he claimed they got emails to make sure they told customers that. I really wanted to smack him, but don't want to be in jail for launch

Don't worry, slap him HARD then revive him with a BMG gun...when he gets up asked why he fainted.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
03-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Don't worry, slap him HARD then revive him with a BMG gun...when he gets up asked why he fainted.

Seriously who would think a game would come out that you could only play 4 months out of year then wait 8 to continue playing.

Paladin
03-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Seriously who would think a game would come out that you could only play 4 months out of year then wait 8 to continue playing.

Someone tired from minimum wage? Seriously from what I've heard, doesn't take much to get hired since working at GameStop supposedly is crap.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
03-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Someone tired from minimum wage? Seriously from what I've heard, doesn't take much to get hired since working at GameStop supposedly is crap.

I'd work at a game store part time... not gamestop, but a video game store sure.

zeejay
03-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Let me clear up some stuff in this thread :)

First off, I'm a GS manager in a town of about 30k people... one of the best ranked stores in the company year after year. We are talking top 100 out of 5000+. We support our customers and inform them of pre orders and what not (coorporate stuff most internet haters hate and can't understand how it helps our business and repeat sales through customer service *at the good stores*) I first found out about defiance back in august and got to play it for quite some time. was blown away with it and it instantly became my new fav game coming out. Especially since it was made by trion which is one of my fav companies.

with that I'm crushing the rest of the company on defiance pre-orders. it's a landslide for probably over 4500 other stores. but with that it is still no where near a major AAA title's numbers. ex: cod over 1k - the new ac4- over 100 already in like 2 weeks. the game just doesn't have the press to push major numbers. trion has had a total of 3-4 PIECEs of marketing for us to put up. None of my customers know about defiance other than "that game that has the show tied to it" from reading about it in Gameinformer.

We have pushed and pushed and pushed for people to check out defiance and preorder it for the FREE beta and FREE items. Not everyone is willing to trust a new IP from a company they never have heard from. Especially these days where the avg game gets a 6-8/10 and that is supposed to be a great rating from the developers. Times are getting tough with spending and people just want to spend money on games they KNOW they will like. IE: gears, bioshock, GTA, CoD, God of war... etc.

With all of that said.... yes there are gamestops out there that i wish would commit more to their customers. yes i wish that all dm's would give approval to do midnights for games that people wish to pick up that night. but it comes down to money and risk. not every store can spend the payroll on keeping 2 closers there for a late night event that might pull 5-10 sales. there is a bottom line to watch and a safety of the team member doing the midnight to think about. Is it possible for GS to have a midnight? yep I am and I do about every game launch every monday night. I do it to retain my customer base and build support for the game, my store, and my customer's excitement. Are all store manager's crazy like me and DONATE their time to do this? no. nor should they have to.

If you absolutely have to have the game asap then i'd recommend buying it digitally through GS to preload it and have it waiting so you get all your PuR points and you can even use your trades to pay for it!! If you want the UE then you will just have to wait then since it's only physical edition and only at GS.

as a sidenote:
not all gamestop employee's are gamers. I look for customer service and the ability to talk to a customer over knowing how many different halo guns there are or how high your prestige is on CoD. as a manager that doesn't matter to me. Also... lol stop thinking that we can sit and play every game that comes out completely or that we have the time to pay our staff to read up on and know about every "insert your favorite game here" it is not legally or financially sound.

ps
omg 4/2 hurrrrrrry up... so bored and my UE awaits me!!!!

Paladin
03-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Let me clear up some stuff in this thread :)

First off, I'm a GS manager in a town of about 30k people... one of the best ranked stores in the company year after year. We are talking top 100 out of 5000+. We support our customers and inform them of pre orders and what not (coorporate stuff most internet haters hate and can't understand how it helps our business and repeat sales through customer service *at the good stores*) I first found out about defiance back in august and got to play it for quite some time. was blown away with it and it instantly became my new fav game coming out. Especially since it was made by trion which is one of my fav companies.

with that I'm crushing the rest of the company on defiance pre-orders. it's a landslide for probably over 4500 other stores. but with that it is still no where near a major AAA title's numbers. ex: cod over 1k - the new ac4- over 100 already in like 2 weeks. the game just doesn't have the press to push major numbers. trion has had a total of 3-4 PIECEs of marketing for us to put up. None of my customers know about defiance other than "that game that has the show tied to it" from reading about it in Gameinformer.

We have pushed and pushed and pushed for people to check out defiance and preorder it for the FREE beta and FREE items. Not everyone is willing to trust a new IP from a company they never have heard from. Especially these days where the avg game gets a 6-8/10 and that is supposed to be a great rating from the developers. Times are getting tough with spending and people just want to spend money on games they KNOW they will like. IE: gears, bioshock, GTA, CoD, God of war... etc.

With all of that said.... yes there are gamestops out there that i wish would commit more to their customers. yes i wish that all dm's would give approval to do midnights for games that people wish to pick up that night. but it comes down to money and risk. not every store can spend the payroll on keeping 2 closers there for a late night event that might pull 5-10 sales. there is a bottom line to watch and a safety of the team member doing the midnight to think about. Is it possible for GS to have a midnight? yep I am and I do about every game launch every monday night. I do it to retain my customer base and build support for the game, my store, and my customer's excitement. Are all store manager's crazy like me and DONATE their time to do this? no. nor should they have to.

If you absolutely have to have the game asap then i'd recommend buying it digitally through GS to preload it and have it waiting so you get all your PuR points and you can even use your trades to pay for it!! If you want the UE then you will just have to wait then since it's only physical edition and only at GS.

as a sidenote:
not all gamestop employee's are gamers. I look for customer service and the ability to talk to a customer over knowing how many different halo guns there are or how high your prestige is on CoD. as a manager that doesn't matter to me. Also... lol stop thinking that we can sit and play every game that comes out completely or that we have the time to pay our staff to read up on and know about every "insert your favorite game here" it is not legally or financially sound.

ps
omg 4/2 hurrrrrrry up... so bored and my UE awaits me!!!!
Sad....all they have to say to an Xbox player is MMO and their pockets will be sold no matter the ip.

zeejay
03-17-2013, 11:35 PM
wrong we say it 100 times a day.. no one wants an mmo.. most xbl people think cod is an mmo. your opinion is jaded since you like the genre. i too am an mmo fan. once i started working at GS you notice that 99% of the mmo'rs that come in are lvl 35 in wow and have been playing since launch. yet they come in and talk about how good the game is.
the avg mmo'r that walks into gs is either 12 or 30+ with kids.

Paladin
03-17-2013, 11:39 PM
wrong we say it 100 times a day.. no one wants an mmo.. most xbl people think cod is an mmo. your opinion is jaded since you like the genre. i too am an mmo fan. once i started working at GS you notice that 99% of the mmo'rs that come in are lvl 35 in wow and have been playing since launch. yet they come in and talk about how good the game is.
the avg mmo'r that walks into gs is either 12 or 30+ with kids.
Then my town and Online Friends are not an appropriate representation of the general opinion:/
Even casuals I talk to are interested when I talk to them about an MMO that plays like a shooter.
Myb I'm just persuasive.

MacDeath
03-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Well said Zeejay. My local Gamestop is also very good. Whenever I want a physical copy of a game I always buy it there. Of course the store manager doesn't have as much time to follow a title as I do, so I keep him informed on what's happening in my upcoming games.

zeejay
03-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Well said Zeejay. My local Gamestop is also very good. Whenever I want a physical copy of a game I always buy it there. Of course the store manager doesn't have as much time to follow a title as I do, so I keep him informed on what's happening in my upcoming games.

this is 100% helpful to any GS team. Like a game? talk about it! share it with your friends and friends at your local gamestop!

zeejay
03-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Then my town and Online Friends are not an appropriate representation of the general opinion:/
Even casuals I talk to are interested when I talk to them about an MMO that plays like a shooter.
Myb I'm just persuasive.

so am i to assume you work at a video game retailer or are you just talking to people within your own clique? if you work at a video game retailer i'm assuming you guys are killin it on pre-orders? since it's so easy to make a sale on a new ip 3rd person mmo shooter

0_d4RK_FaLLen
03-17-2013, 11:47 PM
@ZeeJay

Absolutely right from a business stand point, which they are. Midnight releases can not be done for every game.
On to my personal issue with the gamestop in my area is the fact this one particular employee flat out lies about information.
Yes customer service and the ability to talk to people is a major part of the job. So is having product knowledge and or the basic understanding not to give false information. I don't care how well versed someone is a holding a conversation if most of what is coming out is BS. I'm not saying every employee nor am I saying this company is overall bad. If your understanding of management is as advertised in your post you can certainly see the downside of having an experience such as mine. I truly hope your store continues to do well and get people excited about defiance, and maybe your approach can be spread to the rest of the company.

zeejay
03-17-2013, 11:50 PM
@ZeeJay

Absolutely right from a business stand point, which they are. Midnight releases can not be done for every game.
On to my personal issue with the gamestop in my area is the fact this one particular employee flat out lies about information.
Yes customer service and the ability to talk to people is a major part of the job. So is having product knowledge and or the basic understanding not to give false information. I don't care how well versed someone is a holding a conversation if most of what is coming out is BS. I'm not saying every employee nor am I saying this company is overall bad. If your understanding of management is as advertised in your post you can certainly see the downside of having an experience such as mine. I truly hope your store continues to do well and get people excited about defiance, and maybe your approach can be spread to the rest of the company.

if you have a situation with a particular store or employee i'm sure that any customer service feedback is welcomed by gs as a whole :) give the manager feedback and if that doesn't work there is a coorporate line or even a survey you can take on the bottom of any receipt.

Chio Raver
03-18-2013, 12:01 AM
if you have a situation with a particular store or employee i'm sure that any customer service feedback is welcomed by gs as a whole :) give the manager feedback and if that doesn't work there is a coorporate line or even a survey you can take on the bottom of any receipt.

Yea at the bottom of the reciept is the website www.tellgamestop.com at the bottom end of the reciept is the feedback number you need to be able to do the survey. at the top is the employees name that helped you and you can rate them accordinggly and also at the end of the survey your able to write a little bit of what you thought. i believe there is a phone number you can call to do a survey that way to. and as a bonus you get enter to win a giftcard for gamestop. You get to tell the store what you think and might get something free it is a win win ^^

zeejay
03-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Yea at the bottom of the reciept is the website www.tellgamestop.com at the bottom end of the reciept is the feedback number you need to be able to do the survey. at the top is the employees name that helped you and you can rate them accordinggly and also at the end of the survey your able to write a little bit of what you thought. i believe there is a phone number you can call to do a survey that way to. and as a bonus you get enter to win a giftcard for gamestop. You get to tell the store what you think and might get something free it is a win win ^^
I like this guy !!

SETit_allABLAZE
03-18-2013, 12:40 AM
But if they wait for the show to air, thats like 2 weeks after the game.

zeejay
03-18-2013, 12:44 AM
But if they wait for the show to air, thats like 2 weeks after the game.

although it sounds bad it may just be what this game needs?!
most major launches these days.... eh hem sim city anyone?.... for any major online game are filled with issues. if the game is not prepared for server loads of people then they fail. if they ease it in and do a major marketing push @ or around the 15th of april it might help out. think of it as easing into the release. then once they have a good foothold they open the flood gates to everyone else and have a much more stable launch with nothing (hopefully) but positive feedback...

we can only dream though :)

JustinD92
03-18-2013, 01:08 AM
I am also expecting this. I visioned them taking over television channels around the world with a fake News Report of major Ark falls landing on earth. That would be amazing haha. It would have been awesome to see a superbowl advertisement with a few ark fall codes lol.

Valethar
03-18-2013, 03:43 AM
I visioned them taking over television channels around the world with a fake News Report of major Ark falls landing on earth. That would be amazing haha.

The last time someone did this, via radio at the time, it actually caused widespread panic in some areas with people actually packing up and running for the hills.

The idea of a simultaneous media takover event is freaking awesome, but I have to wonder how many sheeple would panic thinking it was for real. :)

GrizzlyAKIMBO
03-18-2013, 07:00 AM
The last time someone did this, via radio at the time, it actually caused widespread panic in some areas with people actually packing up and running for the hills.

The idea of a simultaneous media takover event is freaking awesome, but I have to wonder how many sheeple would panic thinking it was for real. :)

You speak of Orson Welles's 1938 radio broadcast of War of The Worlds my friend. I agree however, a major marketing campaign focussed around Arkfall's is a good idea. I haven't seem any advertising for Defiance show or game yet. Odd..

Synder
03-18-2013, 07:05 AM
I've seen the commercials a few times over the last 2 days. It needs to be shown more than it currently is. Granted I most likely have missed the majority of the times it ran, but at least I have seen it 3 or so times now.

Fiancee
03-18-2013, 07:16 AM
At least they FINALLY popped Amazon virginity and Defiance is 46th on Xbox top 100.

Patience guys, we all know this is too awesome to fail.

CReaper210
03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
That midnight release sounds awkward as hell:/

Hah. I remember when I went to the midnight release for Starcraft 2 WoL and there was 4 people in line counting me. I sat in the car for 20 minutes. I guess most people like digital copies.