PDA

View Full Version : Pixel to pixel accuracy

GamerKnight
10-30-2012, 06:14 AM
"The shooting mechanics in Defiance, will focus on pixel to pixel accuracy and killing enemies requires skill rather than some abstract ‘accuracy’ stat. That isn’t to say you can’t upgrade your weapons, there is an extensive system for this, but there is nothing going on in the background. You either aimed at and hit your enemy, or you didn’t. Of course, co-op tactics will come into play when you face larger enemy types, but you’ll be lining up your headshots the old-fashioned way."
-- http://thecontrolleronline.com/2012/08/defiance-is-a-third-person-shooter-first-and-an-mmo-second/

I found this online, sounds interesting and very hard at the same time. I hate MMOs where you just spam 1-9 to cast spells. Looks like there is going to be more of an active combat system.

Are you guys pro or con for this system?

Cavadus
10-30-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm definitely in favor of the twitch combat. I can't stand stereotypical RPG combat and most MMOs bore me to death because of the extremely static, slow, and clunky hotbar combat.

I loved Tabula Rasa and this game's combat looks to be even better. TR is the gold standard for MMO combat to me so Defiance has a lot to live up to.

Dagger Nightbreaker
10-30-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm very much for it! I love FPS and MMO, only makes sense to put them together in a working formula. I am just wondering how class roles (if there are really any) will work. Will there still be someone who pulls more aggro with their shots, someone with a medic gun, ect.

Siantlark
10-30-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm very much for it! I love FPS and MMO, only makes sense to put them together in a working formula. I am just wondering how class roles (if there are really any) will work. Will there still be someone who pulls more aggro with their shots, someone with a medic gun, ect.
The closest analogues that you could check out to see the (probable) combat system would be Planetside 2 and Firefall which are Shooters with large amounts of MMO elements. They borrow many MMO mechanics but at their cores they're both shooters. Defiance will probably want to go the same way judging by the pixel perfect accuracy comments., so instead of any real defined "Tank", "Medic", or "DPS" roles you're probably going to have people running around that can do a variety of tasks and switch between them on the fly based on their aiming skills and their abilities.

Dagger Nightbreaker
10-31-2012, 12:38 PM
The closest analogues that you could check out to see the (probable) combat system would be Planetside 2 and Firefall which are Shooters with large amounts of MMO elements. They borrow many MMO mechanics but at their cores they're both shooters. Defiance will probably want to go the same way judging by the pixel perfect accuracy comments., so instead of any real defined "Tank", "Medic", or "DPS" roles you're probably going to have people running around that can do a variety of tasks and switch between them on the fly based on their aiming skills and their abilities.

Good point, I checked out Firefall, and I could see that working. Would be nice to have people with Support type skills and healing type skills, just to add an additional layer, like firefall. thanks!

Darktide
11-01-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm F**ked then. Don't think I can shoot straight. lol

Tombstone4U
11-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Darktide I'm pretty much with you there LOL. I'm not a big shooter fan but I am going to make an exception with this game due to its uniqueness being tied together with the TV series. It takes practice to master so I guess I'll be sucking hind tit as it were to begin with but it appears to be something you can catch onto pretty quickly with many different play styles and munitions you can aquire and choose from. Looking forward to getting a chance to check it out and see. Who knows maybe I will be good at it :p

Cavadus
11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't worry about your twitch skills that much. At the very least I'm sure there will be some grenade launchers with nice AoE splash and at the very most they might throw in some nice pieces of tech like automated turrets, portable shields, drones, and other types of combat support stuff.

Plus hey, we know there will be multi-passenger vehicles so you guys could always be the wheel-men.

It's really too bad about the game lacking crafting... this game is going to miss out on a big sub-community of players: the tinkerers. The game is post-apocalyptic and what post-apocalyptic game could possibly be complete without that tech-head who can replace your power armor's knee actuators, y'know? :)

Tombstone4U
11-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Agreed Cavadus and I'm sure they have at least discussed the crafting and I wouldn't be surprised for a game of this nature to see some in the future. Maybe a coding issue or they just want to keep us in suspense for a christmas gift maybe?? ;-)

GamerKnight
11-01-2012, 05:05 PM
I agree, most MMOs these days it just feels as though you are pushing the same buttons over and over again and collecting new items. Where are the combat mechanics that draw you in to the game and make you fell as though you are inside of the world, and not just spaming 1-9.

GamerKnight
11-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I do like the idea of crafting in game, but most games have very poor crafting systems. Collect 10 of this, put 10 of that here, etc...

Having a crafting system, just to have a crafting system i think would be pointless. But if there was a interesting mechanic or a new way of crafting custom items that can make a real impact on the game then i am all for it. Eve only had a very basic crafting system, but the way it was implemented really effected the market and where players would mine and start up player owned stations.

Lateris
11-01-2012, 05:15 PM
The FPS element is something I returned to with BF3 after 10 years of MMOS. This is going to be a lot of fun.

Night Hawke
11-01-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm not a big fan of shooters over all (ok so i don't really like them at all), however at PAX 2012 i got my mits on the game and it sold me pretty fast. Which is a feat for a shooter and a pvp enviroment for an intro (not a huge pvper either). So the feel of the combat will imo be excellent.

My biggest concern over the pixel perfect shooter is the mmo enviroment. With the potential of thousands of people running around and the server stress the MMO structure brings i fear that it will run into some lag problems. I know some games have implemented features to curb this some, for example Firefall made a forced ping rate so level the playing field. Also both firefall and Tabula Rasa implemented a type of targeting assist. This helped for those random little lag spikes that don't matter much in hotbar style mmo combat but in twitch based it can cost you a headshot. I can't wait for the beta to roll out and see how Trion approaches the problem.

Shadinaxx
11-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I have been watching the playbacks and videos very closely, because while I enjoy twitch combat, I'm the king of it, and I asbolutly abhore the the players that snap zoom on sniper rifles so they can line up a shot without losing mobility or field of view. Try that with a real gun, I dare ya. So with that in mind, what I HAVE seen is that there is a delay (less so with looking down hardsights) between scoping a rifle, and firing by the naked eye. There is also alot more to the combat element that doesnt just allow some super twitchy champion of the tweaker warriors to go through and solo events just by being "pro", but there will also be elements where the more tactical eye can play a pivotal role, or maybe you are the Mario Andretti of Light Armoered Vehicles, etc.

The emphasis on pixel perfect accuracy seems to be more along the lines of having lined up a perfect headshot, squeezing the trigger an then seeing the word "missed!" above the creature's head.

I for one, am interested to see if they have a skill set implemented similer to the differact classifications in Eve, where a command ship can give group bonuses specific to their role, such as better heat management on heavy guns, reload speed, running speed, damage reduction, other skill set boosts, etc. Not all of us are armchair commandos, or Master Chief's long lost twin brother/sister, so I assume that Trion recognizes this and has a system for those of us that are strong/average, or in my case, horrible at other things (read: everything), lol

Kalbuir
11-02-2012, 12:16 PM
I've always been a big fan of RPG's and MMO's I think 1-9 combat can be fun but the last 10 years or so it has not been. It has been the same **** over and over again. Making FPS type gamestyle where you aim and have access to a select amount of activation abilities makes for a much more appealing and skill based gameplay experience. Which is good!

Only downside I see is that FPS type gameplay might not always be as forgiving as 1-9 button spam.

JellyBean
11-02-2012, 06:11 PM
From what I have seen the gameplay will employ some basic tactics aswell. I detest the unreal engine in shooters and I really like what I've seen so far that it just won't be frantic jumping around

Titchi
01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
From what I have seen the gameplay will employ some basic tactics aswell. I detest the unreal engine in shooters and I really like what I've seen so far that it just won't be frantic jumping around

What engine are they using, do you know? I never really cared to think about it until now.

Deathrow
01-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Combat system should be like in APB , no headshots or anything.. Equal damage for every part of the body.

Anam
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
"The shooting mechanics in Defiance, will focus on pixel to pixel accuracy and killing enemies requires skill rather than some abstract ‘accuracy’ stat. That isn’t to say you can’t upgrade your weapons, there is an extensive system for this, but there is nothing going on in the background. You either aimed at and hit your enemy, or you didn’t. Of course, co-op tactics will come into play when you face larger enemy types, but you’ll be lining up your headshots the old-fashioned way."
-- http://thecontrolleronline.com/2012/08/defiance-is-a-third-person-shooter-first-and-an-mmo-second/

I found this online, sounds interesting and very hard at the same time. I hate MMOs where you just spam 1-9 to cast spells. Looks like there is going to be more of an active combat system.

Are you guys pro or con for this system?

I am totally for this. The 1-9 spam bores the every-loving daylights out of me if it's a game where I'm controlling a gun or a person. In Eve Online, it's ok as the ships are very high tech and you pretty much control things neurally.

squidgod2000
01-11-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm F**ked then. Don't think I can shoot straight. lol

Play with a controller then. Playing with a controller gives you targeting assist (that m/kb players don't get) to help balance things out.

squidgod2000
01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Combat system should be like in APB , no headshots or anything.. Equal damage for every part of the body.

It's not. Headshots (and other sensitive areas on non-humanoids) are an integral part of the game and helps create skill-based combat.

squidgod2000
01-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I am totally for this. The 1-9 spam bores the every-loving daylights out of me if it's a game where I'm controlling a gun or a person. In Eve Online, it's ok as the ships are very high tech and you pretty much control things neurally.

The modern MMO is waaaay too caught up in parsing, perfect skill rotations, DPS checks, etc. It's nice to see games like Defiance and TESO break away from that. As long as they can do so without boring people to death, they'll have successful titles.

Dryblood
01-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Sounds good, I don't like it when a game holds your hand, I think you know which popular shooter does that now-a-days. Give you something actually to practice for and really perfect at.

SlicerDicer
01-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Fallen Earth is also a fps mmo.

Anam
01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Fallen Earth is also a fps mmo.

Yep, I played it back in the subscription days. It was good stuff. :)