PDA

View Full Version : Lolz at the defiance show animated hellbugs.

PowderedToastMan
04-13-2013, 12:27 PM
I realize this should be in the tv show forums but I find it hilarious that the tv show hellbugs animators did some a poor job with the CG on the show. Its downright dreadful. I know it costs ALOT of money to animate and the show being on scyfy isn't helping anything. But I personally think the bugs in the game look better than the show.

JBo796
04-13-2013, 12:29 PM
do you have a pic?

Sludge
04-13-2013, 12:33 PM
The Defiance show is being done low budget, which means things like CGI is going to be of a considerably lower quality than other, high budget shows and movies. Yes, the Hellbugs look kind of bad in the show, but it won't matter much if the show is fun to watch. Which I really really hope it is, because I love the idea.

Major Nelson
04-13-2013, 12:34 PM
the textures are actually pretty good for being a budgeted tv show. animation is expensive you have to design the bugs and move them mm by mm and make them llok real and interact with the characters which is very costly to hire people to do so they did have to cut corners but they do look pretty good for the budget

AddictedNoob
04-13-2013, 12:37 PM
You do realize its a TV show & not real life right?

DeMoted
04-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Just get really stoned and you won't notice.

Arsenic_Touch
04-13-2013, 12:40 PM
If you're referring to the preview, those weren't hellbugs. The only time you get to see a hellbug is during one of the clips where Datak Tarr pulls his energy blade on them, but it wasn't long enough to actually gauge anything about them.

lundwooder
04-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Just get really stoned and you won't notice.

This is my plan

jonwes
04-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Wait? You mean they won't have feature-quality CGI on a TV show? Stop the press! News at 11! :D

Daholic
04-13-2013, 12:43 PM
If you're referring to the preview, those weren't hellbugs. The only time you get to see a hellbug is during one of the clips where Datak Tarr pulls his energy blade on them, but it wasn't long enough to actually gauge anything about them.

The clip i saw during the AJ review i thought was a hellbug fight. It showed numerous people fighting, then you see one guy just kinda walk towards the camera without a care in the world during a hellbug fight! Haha it hought that was hilarious, but again i only saw a sample of the fight

Xionsmith
04-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Have you ever seen the first seasons of Firefly, Stargate, Babylon 5, Farscape, Buffy, Dr. Who, Lost? They weren't exactly the cutting edge of CGI. The writing and acting is what made people keep watching.

hardy83
04-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Even huge shows like Game of Thrones, the CGI isn't even that great.

Cavadus
04-13-2013, 01:01 PM
The Defiance show is being done low budget...

You're wrong. Defiance's season one budget is $40 million. For reference, the current season of Game of Thrones ran $60 million.

That's not low budget.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/syfy-bets-105m-tv-series-and-video-game-147622

DeMoted
04-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Unless James Cameron is doing a TV show then CGI will always look funny.

sp00s
04-13-2013, 01:18 PM
The clip i saw during the AJ review i thought was a hellbug fight. It showed numerous people fighting, then you see one guy just kinda walk towards the camera without a care in the world during a hellbug fight! Haha it hought that was hilarious, but again i only saw a sample of the fight

That's not from the show, it's a live action commercial for the game.

3rdpig
04-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Have you ever seen the first seasons of Firefly, Stargate, Babylon 5, Farscape, Buffy, Dr. Who, Lost? They weren't exactly the cutting edge of CGI. The writing and acting is what made people keep watching.

While I agree with you totally, there are some people who don't care about writing or story, all they seem to care about is special effects, explosions and choreographed fights. I've discovered a foolproof way to identify them. Ask them "Did you see the Matrix movies and if so, which one did you like best?".

Jackobite
04-13-2013, 01:21 PM
I seen that small clip on the AJ review, they were commenting that it looked cartoony.

It looked so bad I didnt believe it was really in the show,
still we will see, acting and story is good enough I can be drawn in.

Buu
04-13-2013, 01:22 PM
I realize this should be in the tv show forums but I find it hilarious that the tv show hellbugs animators did some a poor job with the CG on the show. Its downright dreadful. I know it costs ALOT of money to animate and the show being on scyfy isn't helping anything. But I personally think the bugs in the game look better than the show.
Except that was a Game Advertising, not a scene from the show.

Beta582
04-13-2013, 01:26 PM
I've discovered a foolproof way to identify them. Ask them "Did you see the Matrix movies and if so, which one did you like best?".

That sir is quite ingenious. My answer: First one. Liked the set up for the story.

Evilution
04-13-2013, 01:28 PM
I watched the first 14 minutes and tbh it didn't seem great. The acting was nothing to shout about and the effects weren't too clever. I will give it a try when the show is released for a fair few episodes, as I'm not going to base my judgement on 14 minutes, but it didn't seem like anything that I could really get into so far. The game on the other hand is really addictive for me though, I think I could live without watching the show and still play the game if I don't get into it.

Arsenic_Touch
04-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Referring to this? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAwvBbfaFg

This is not the show. This is a live action trailer for the game showcasing the three arkhunters from the ark hunter chronicles.

Daholic
04-13-2013, 01:30 PM
That sir is quite ingenious. My answer: First one. Liked the set up for the story.

Oh..you mean before the cave orgy

Beta582
04-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh..you mean before the cave orgy

I had actually forgot about that... Didn't really care for that scene too much.

Youngwings
04-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Defiance is Anything but Low Budget... Plus its being directed by the same guy that did Battlestar Galactica, Im pretty sure hes not going to allow crappy CGI. And Why the hell are you complaining? The way i see it, if you cant do it yourself, dont complain about it.

Rhorge
04-13-2013, 02:06 PM
The show is low budget but you can help by purchasing and consuming a bottle of vodka. After that, you won't notice a difference.

Rhorge
04-13-2013, 02:08 PM
The way i see it, if you cant do it yourself, dont complain about it.

Next time my car engine explodes and kills me, my family won't complain, they can't make a better engine.

Technodude
I watch all sci fi shows drunk That is how i got past through 1st season of Falling Skies and the new 'V'

Only show i watched sober was Battlestar Galactica.

Taaltos
That's not the hellbug animation for the show, that was just a trailer for the game.

ANTIDEAD
04-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Angry Joe is wrong that the hellbugs look out of place. What about the fantasy style plants everywhere? And the alien races which are also not in a terribly realistic style. Nothing about the show or game says this is meant to be overly serious.

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Angry Joe is wrong that the hellbugs look out of place. What about the fantasy style plants everywhere? And the alien races which are also not in a terribly realistic style. Nothing about the show or game says this is meant to be overly serious.

AngryJoe is an idiot, and is referencing a live action trailer for the game that was released pre-launch. The bugs looked...not good, but it was a live action trailer for the game.

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 02:15 PM
This video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAwvBbfaFg

ANTIDEAD
04-13-2013, 02:18 PM
*Shrugs* I thought they looked awesome in that video.

I enjoy AJ's videos but I just disagree from time to time.

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 02:19 PM
*Shrugs* I thought they looked awesome in that video.

I enjoy AJ's videos but I just disagree from time to time.

They look really out of place. Especially when compared to the demon spider bear devils of the 14 minute preview.

TheFlash
04-13-2013, 02:25 PM
I dunno. I just watched that trailer for the first time, and the hellbugs didn't look that bad to me. I was actually slightly more troubled by the cliche and self-serious nature of all the characters.

But I LOVED the moment when the ark hunters EGO lit up, indicating that her heads up was alerting her to an arkfall. I'd love the option to turn on an alert that briefly interferes with your heads-up display whenever an arkfall occurs near enough to you.

I'd also love it if there was some small additional reward for being one of the first few people to get to an arkfall, or at least a pursuit. The sense of competition as they all raced for the event was epic.

Ceryk
04-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Defiance is Anything but Low Budget... Plus its being directed by the same guy that did Battlestar Galactica, Im pretty sure hes not going to allow crappy CGI. And Why the hell are you complaining? The way i see it, if you cant do it yourself, dont complain about it.

It's probably mid range budget wise since they've built and entire back lot set and seem to be CGI heavy. But I've seen enough of the the CGI in the previews to know it's not high end and they're definitely saving money there. They don't want another repeat of the Eureka issue, they're not doing anything high budget for a long time. But yeah, I agree. It's not low budget, they built an entire backlot up for the show and aren't using a bunch of totally unknown people no one has ever heard of before.

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 02:28 PM
It's probably mid range budget wise since they've built and entire back lot set and seem to be CGI heavy. But I've seen enough of the the CGI in the previews to know it's not high end and they're definitely saving money there. They don't want another repeat of the Eureka issue, they're not doing anything high budget for a long time. But yeah, I agree. It's not low budget, they built an entire backlot up for the show and aren't using a bunch of totally unknown people no one has ever heard of before.

Please, don't mention Eureka. :(

It makes my heart heavy.

Valethar
04-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Next time my car engine explodes and kills me, my family won't complain, they can't make a better engine.

Wait, you mean it's exploded and killed you before? :eek:

Valethar
04-13-2013, 02:41 PM
I dunno. I just watched that trailer for the first time, and the hellbugs didn't look that bad to me. I was actually slightly more troubled by the cliche and self-serious nature of all the characters.

But I LOVED the moment when the ark hunters EGO lit up, indicating that her heads up was alerting her to an arkfall. I'd love the option to turn on an alert that briefly interferes with your heads-up display whenever an arkfall occurs near enough to you.

I'd also love it if there was some small additional reward for being one of the first few people to get to an arkfall, or at least a pursuit. The sense of competition as they all raced for the event was epic.

I agree with you. It'd be slick if there were some sort of overlay that came up on the screen, similar to what we see in her HUD, then maybe minimizes over to the side with info on the incoming arkfall. Most of the right side is unused real estate anyway, so if we can't have a proper mission tracker that allows us to have more than one active mission, why not use some of that dead space for arkfall notifications?