PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about future of Defiance on PS3/Xbox - PS4/720

Spinesnap
03-11-2013, 07:34 AM
I have been thinking about getting it for the PS3 or for the PC for a long time now, I was talking about it with a couple of friends to help me decide. One of them brought up the point that the new PS4 will not be backwards compatible (As in playing PS3 titles). So if I buy this game for the PS3 I won't be able to play it on the PS4.

Now my question is, will defiance be brought to the PS4 as a digital download, or something If I were to buy the PS3 version and just use the code that came along with it? Or would I have to buy another copie of defiance for the PS4 if there is even one going to be released?

I am sure the 720, and the xbox 360, will the the exact same issue. So any clarification would be great.

mushinwolf
03-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the forums:)
First of all, play the system that most of your friends will be on.

If you buy on PS3 you will have ages to play and enjoy the game, unless your desperate to buy a PS4 at launch prices and limited game catalogue.
Xbox?..i imagine it WILL be backwards compat, as 360 was for most part.

So buy for PC or PS3 and enjoy the game :)

deltaman42
03-11-2013, 07:49 AM
LOL this always makes me laugh.just because new game consoles are coming out,doesn't mean this generation console will suddenly end,there's probably another 2-4 yrs life in the ps3/360 before there maded redundant.im sure defiance might make it way onto the ps4/720 but im betting not for at least a year or two.

Tzar of kaos
03-11-2013, 07:52 AM
We don't know and it's a bit too early to worry about that.First the game will come out then we'll see.I guess there will be more news after E3 or later this year(or maybe never).But you can play on PC or PS3 and still buy a PS4 to play other games.No need to rush.

Spinesnap
03-11-2013, 08:11 AM
PS4 is coming out holiday 2013, thats not far away. Once it comes out of course the newer games will be for ps4. Alot of the major game developers are already building games for the ps4. Sure I can still hold on to my ps3, and switch between the two. But that's kinda dumb, its older tech, and probally barely even any third party support any longer since it will all be about the new gen.

Also xbox 360 is on the PowerPC architecture, rumors are 720 will be on the x84 like the ps4, which will end backwards support aswell.

Defiance - April
PS4 - November/December

Not that far away guys.

KaosPenguin
03-11-2013, 08:17 AM
PS4 is coming out holiday 2013, thats not far away. Once it comes out of course the newer games will be for ps4. Alot of the major game developers are already building games for the ps4. Sure I can still hold on to my ps3, and switch between the two. But that's kinda dumb, its older tech, and probally barely even any third party support any longer since it will all be about the new gen.

Also xbox 360 is on the PowerPC architecture, rumors are 720 will be on the x84 like the ps4, which will end backwards support aswell.

Defiance - April
PS4 - November/December

Not that far away guys.

x86 but yeah in theory that'll end back. compat. Though the original xbox is x86 so it could at least natively run Original Xbox games without a hitch (in theory).

Fiancee
03-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Why so eager to buy next-gen consoles? There isnt even that many exclusive games. I stick with current consoles and buy Steambox and see after a few year how things look.

deltaman42
03-11-2013, 08:23 AM

Defiance - April
PS4 - November/December

Not that far away guys.
not necessarily so.they can bring out one version for the ps3 and one out for the ps4..look at ubisofts "watch-dogs" thats coming out for both the ps3/ps4 and 360/720.

Tzar of kaos
03-11-2013, 08:31 AM
And i always bought software before hardware...Games first then the hardware...For me next -gen console i won't buy it before mid-2014.And there are already the same threads about this in the forum...

Dead_Phoenix
03-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Defiance - April
PS4 - November/December

Not that far away guys.

given that we simply dont know the blindest things, no one can really answer your question, but even if comes out in novemember thats still around 8 months away. thats still a hell of alot longer then most games.

but i know what you mean, seeing as this is a planned mmo with planned stuff for many years to come, im 99% sure they are already planning on what to do next.

i would think it will be some kind of big dlc expansion, 8 months is about right, and will fund the transition.

alternativly they will run both, keep the ps3 version going for a couple of years, but bring out defiance 2 next year when the show starts up again.

we can guess all we want, all we really can say is, they will have got plans in place. but im sure we wont know anything until probably when the first season has finished.

Spinesnap
03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Exactly what I am getting at, this is a planned MMO which is for years. I am sure PS3/360 will be null, and void in 2 years or even less. Will our "characters" be transitioned over when PS4/720 is the mainstream? Since this is the excuses some people are giving me up above, oh dont get consoles on day 1. Well... This isn't CoD with a title every year, its a MMO. So longterm, would I have to rebuy the game for the PS4 and start a new char, or will it be a crossover easy transition when it becomes more "Mainstream"

Look at the previous console releases, Xbox 1 to 360, less than a year, man even like after 3 months the 360 became the standard, and I can easily say the same for the PS3.

Paladin
03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Exactly what I am getting at, this is a planned MMO which is for years. I am sure PS3/360 will be null, and void in 2 years or even less. Will our "characters" be transitioned over when PS4/720 is the mainstream? Since this is the excuses some people are giving me up above, oh dont get consoles on day 1. Well... This isn't CoD with a title every year, its a MMO. So longterm, would I have to rebuy the game for the PS4 and start a new char, or will it be a crossover easy transition when it becomes more "Mainstream"

Look at the previous console releases, Xbox 1 to 360, less than a year, man even like after 3 months the 360 became the standard, and I can easily say the same for the PS3.

the servers arent on the consoles though, they are in trion's control. So they have the ability to put those servers wherever they want with Sony's/Microsoft's consent of course. So most likely you will be able to transfer, however im not sure how they will charge that if at all. Maybe they will add a free upgrade for people who already bought the game for the previous console.

Spinesnap
03-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Also you have to look at the competivness of the PS3 gamers, and PS4 gamers. The PS4 will be a faster system, the PS3 will be a slower system. Will they be put on the same servers or different servers? Same goes for the 720. I would think that it would be a unfair advantage.

Things like this would be nice to know, at this point exspecially as a MMO. In a way it would be like having a PS3 console player against a PC player. Since the vast hardware differences.

Paladin
03-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Also you have to look at the competivness of the PS3 gamers, and PS4 gamers. The PS4 will be a faster system, the PS3 will be a slower system. Will they be put on the same servers or different servers? Same goes for the 720. I would think that it would be a unfair advantage.

Things like this would be nice to know, at this point exspecially as a MMO. In a way it would be like having a PS3 console player against a PC. Since the vast hardware differences.

This wont matter, you only have to look at PC only MMOS like World of Warcraft. On there, every PC is different, some are painfully slow and some are ridiculously fast. Yet everything still ends up balanced and fair. Hardware wont matter, the game sets its settings to levels that will cause the speed to be the same on all consoles no matter whats inside. So really the only difference will be better graphics on the new consoles

Spinesnap
03-11-2013, 09:32 AM
That makes sense, but you have to also look at what if this game, is not ported to the PS4. It will remain PS3 only. How will this turn out when everyone moves to the PS4? The ps3 playerbase will deminish. Will they then just shut down the servers? While the PC server still stands?

Tzar of kaos
03-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Use avanced search about the same suject and you will see that there is no official answer.And i guess when Trion will have something to say about next-gen or the futur of Defiance,we will be warn...

DocRogers
03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
I am going to be buying next gen right off the bat. But what the OP needs to understand is how transition works. This gen of consoles won't just die. 80 million people are not going to go out and buy new consoles right away. Maybe 10-20 million will be early adopters. Games will still be made for the 360 and PS3. 3rd party developers were still making games for the PS2 for years after the PS3 came out.

So my advice to the OP is, stop worrying about next gen. Just buy the game, enjoy it for 9 months, get a PS4 or whatever and stop enjoying Defiance. Or get a PS4 and continue enjoying Defiance on your PS3. PS4 will have digital streaming games in the form of Gaikai which I am excited about. Chances are Defiance will get ported over to next gen. But as experienced gamers and developers such as myself know, that sometimes a next-gen port is not the answer. Porting to next gen can cause problems such as stretched out textures, and other weird glitches.

So again, don't worry about it, just play the game. I am still buying a boat load of new releases this year for my "out dated consoles." Launch titles for new consoles are normally weak and are rarely the reason why I ever get a new console. But with the PS4 being "streamer friendly" and the NeXbox sure to have tons of amazing features you will all like will make both those consoles day 1s for me.

UmbrusNightshade
03-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Microsoft may have killed off the original Xbox fairly early but the PS2 just recently (within last year) was just killed off. So you're argument that the PS3 will be obsolete within 2 years is dead in the water. They will likely support it for a minimum of 4-5 years and maybe longer if they can. And IMO buying a new system within the first year and half of it's release is not very wise since most new IPs or new system titles of older IPs will not be out at launch. They tend to start coming out at about 3 months after the release and then continue on in whatever order the game developers can get by with.

Really if you have such a concern just buy it for the PC. As long as you have a system that can run it you won't have to worry about buying a new copy.

Kleptobrainiac
03-11-2013, 06:04 PM
This game should be ported to the Wii-U.

Yunlaw
03-12-2013, 01:40 AM
This wont matter, you only have to look at PC only MMOS like World of Warcraft. On there, every PC is different, some are painfully slow and some are ridiculously fast. Yet everything still ends up balanced and fair. Hardware wont matter, the game sets its settings to levels that will cause the speed to be the same on all consoles no matter whats inside. So really the only difference will be better graphics on the new consoles

Wow. That is sadly a very untrue statement. While every MMO developer attempts to even things out as much as they realistically can, There is huge variation from client to client experience.

There are two major things that will effect your game play - Hardware and Online connection. If your hardware and connection don't give you a playable FPS you will be at a disadvantage to other players who have a good FPS. The more twitch based the combat is, the more that will be amplified. It would be nice if this wasn't so but it is.

At launch each system will have it's own servers. It sounds like they have/are testing all three together, and while we can only guess if/when they will try to implement it. I would assume it would be on new servers. Who knows what they are thinking for server transfers...