PDA

View Full Version : bases?

jackal
10-31-2012, 06:39 PM
will you be able to conquer or establish a base where you can form a guild/army. where you can equip weapons/armor to your members, as well as vehicles.

Darktide
11-01-2012, 06:16 AM
It would be great if you could. Driving through the game world and coming across a camp that wasn't there before. It would make the game very interesting.

Tombstone4U
11-01-2012, 06:26 AM
I could see this as both good and bad on so many levels but would definately make it interesting to say the least so I'm for it!!

Cavadus
11-01-2012, 09:12 AM
I certainly hope we can create our own communities out in the wastes. Unfortunately, features like that rarely ever make it into a game at release so I'm not holding my breath.

It's really too bad considering this is one of those features that keeps your core player-base heavily invested in the game long-term.

Fiancee
11-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I doubt they let us go rampage theres TV-show story line to follow. I actually believe we get new set of quest after each episode etc, when episode is out it changes the game world. Something like that.

Fiancee
11-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I certainly hope we can create our own communities out in the wastes. Unfortunately, features like that rarely ever make it into a game at release so I'm not holding my breath.

It's really too bad considering this is one of those features that keeps your core player-base heavily invested in the game long-term.

I think the main hook is the story and the fact players can make a difference. After each episode we get some new things to do and change the world! Its actually kinda cool if the TV-show hints at what people should do next.

Anyway dont forget theres synergy between the game and TV-show.

Cavadus
11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
I think the main hook is the story and the fact players can make a difference.

Yeah, Bioware said the same thing. Story is irrelevant. Keep in mind that what would be normal patch content is just going to be withheld so it's release can be synchronized with the show's schedule. It's not going to be this amazing bridge of interactivity between the show and game, it's going to be exactly like they said: there's some episode about a disease sweeping through the land, heroes synthesize a cure, and then after it's over we get some quests to distribute or prevent disruption of distribution of the cure.

That's about how the interactivity is going to roll.

But story? I'm just not falling for that gimmick anymore. Story doesn't work in MMOs because they're MMOs; you can't let every single Tom, ****, and Harry save the world. Doesn't work because MMOs don't allow individuals to alter the entire landscape of the world.

Fiancee
11-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Id imagine some dude dies in TV-shows and it changes the game, hell we can probably go to see his grave... Something like that.

Bioware is a joke anyway.

Shadinaxx
11-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Let's see how the first season goes, but seeing some familier names and faces from the Eve:Online universe, I'm sure they know how popular and coveted POS (Privately Owned Stations) and outposts are in Eve, and have it mind to try to integrate that here as well. There's a challenge in that however, because unlike eve, where space is vast and limitless, Defiance will be on a planet, where space is a little more limited. I see this as an oppurtunity tho, with maybe, bases being only setup in Shadow Wars areas, or under a constant flag of shadow wars.

Storyline mechanics in MMO's are very tricky, I have seen them done well, and then we got Swtor, where you are sent on a linear path. Space combat on rails, cant climb a mountain, cant even visit the opposing faction's fleet, lol.

I would really love to see player owned structures, bases, FOBs, etc. I would llove to be able to maintain one for PvE as well as pvp, but we'll have to wait and see, give feedback when in due time, etc, and hope Defiance will be the experiance to set the new standard in modern entertainment.

stormaaron
12-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Well Idk bout y'all but I think HQs will pop up among guilds I already have one planed bit as for building buildings I don't see that happening

Carnak
12-10-2012, 04:09 PM
I would love to see something like this and with their server tech - which allows them to dynamically change elements of the gameworld, eg. the arkfalls (or rifts in Rift) - they could do a lot more with this sort of thing than most MMOs.

Obviously allowing players to just build anywhere wouldn't work but if there were specific regions where players could build then it could really boost the game's longevity and player retention.

Easy Shadow
12-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Now here's an idea. In a town or city have a designated building for guilds. Determining on your guild it will load you in that guild hall, say I'm in "I love Bears" guild and Joes in "Ew Bears" we both go walking down the street holding hands and approach the building. I click on the door to load the building and enter, so does Joe. What happens? I'm sent to my guild hall he's sent to his. Does it make sense?

Carnak
12-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Sound like you've described instancing?

stormaaron
12-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Now here's an idea. In a town or city have a designated building for guilds. Determining on your guild it will load you in that guild hall, say I'm in "I love Bears" guild and Joes in "Ew Bears" we both go walking down the street holding hands and approach the building. I click on the door to load the building and enter, so does Joe. What happens? I'm sent to my guild hall he's sent to his. Does it make sense?

No lol but many MMOs do something like that were its basicaly a building were whatever guild your in it sends you there its a good idea saves space and is a good place for people who are looking for guilds to go find one

Niurok
12-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Since the world is always changing the way bases are set up kind of reminds me of Guild Wars way of doing things. Take a base /cheer go to sleep and get back into the game and the base might be under attack. Or it might be several days to weeks before something happens to the base. Whether or not the game is actually 24/7 real time /shrug. Hopefully bases are not attacked like every 5-10 mins cause then it gets kinda boring.

Rokeugon
12-21-2012, 06:12 PM
this would certainly be a great idea however many problems could uprise such as farmers , griefers etc etc lets say you spawn in and later down the road you find your self getting spawn trapped by players , however to counter this you could have safe zones and open PvP zones in the MMO map , so you start in a safe spawning area and you can drive anywhere you like however there will be little PvP areas or even a PvP area that stretches across half the map protected by a huge brick wall or something like that

i like this idea and most of us wish we could base build in most games like this it would sorta be like arma2 :D

Paladin
12-21-2012, 07:03 PM
this would certainly be a great idea however many problems could uprise such as farmers , griefers etc etc lets say you spawn in and later down the road you find your self getting spawn trapped by players , however to counter this you could have safe zones and open PvP zones in the MMO map , so you start in a safe spawning area and you can drive anywhere you like however there will be little PvP areas or even a PvP area that stretches across half the map protected by a huge brick wall or something like that

i like this idea and most of us wish we could base build in most games like this it would sorta be like arma2 :D

That last part sound a whole lot like Runescape :P

Guts
12-21-2012, 10:06 PM
This would only work if there could be no shadow war around it. It would break the random/blance that will be the shadow war. If everyone that poped up only pop b/c there was a guild base there then... A no one would go there b/c they don't have the numbers to fight a guild. B only other guilds would go then it turns in to TM VS SS think wow people. Good and bad but would get old fast.

Shadow Wars pop up when there is a group of people close to each other, this can happen anytime anywere, if we know the time and place it would take the fun out of it. However I like the idea of a guild space so you can show off your number and kicks. Is a big game, just pick some cords and plant your flag or somthing like that.

JellyBean
12-22-2012, 02:23 PM
I can see designated guild bases inside a safe zone (watching to much SAO) but its a practical idea if there are any designated safe zones in the first place.

Tenz
12-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Well i say if they go all the way to make a show with the game im sure there will be some politics is involved what if Guilds/clans could submit building permits stating coordinates where the group would like to make there base. and when approved they could put a base template of a selected choosing or something but that would be cool i like the ideas of random bases in places and there might be a ark fall even right next to it. creating mass chaos.

Thayl Ruttgar
12-23-2012, 04:47 PM
I at least hope that there are empty buildings and caves that guilds can take over and protect and hide different things like guns and vehicles but we shall see.

Suun Brakur
12-23-2012, 04:51 PM
That will open up for raid parties. That would be great for large clans. Will have to guard 24/7 though.