PDA

View Full Version : Calysto's Thoughts on PvP

Calysto
04-13-2013, 08:19 PM
1. Bring back the cap and hold PvP map, it was fun.

2. Infectors are stupid OP with their extreme range lock on and high output in PvP.

3. If they aren't using an Infector primary, they're probably using some sort of an explosive weapon.

4. No skilled players can bunny hop their way to victory, and need something extreme done to kill bunny hopping if you ever want to come even remotely close to resembling "competitive" multiplayer.

5. I dunno, that's really about it. Those 4 things are my biggest complaint about the PvP so far.

Other thoughts, the 2 DM maps we have atm are crazy boring and completely unfun, while the Shadow Wars are extremely fun to play, as was the Cap and Hold map before it got removed on like day 3.

rush
04-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Bunny hopping has been around forever and wont go away especially in competitive games.. ever heard of unreal tournament or halo? how about quake? still at a loss? sell your game

Hi my names Calysto and I only like when my opponents sit still so I can unload my LMG into them

Happy_Puppy
04-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Bunny hopping has been around forever and wont go away especially in competitive games.. ever heard of unreal tournament or halo? how about quake? still at a loss? sell your game

Hi my names Calysto and I only like when my opponents sit still so I can unload my LMG into them

Funny when you quote before you got a chance to edit...

As far as those games there TTK is not near as high as defiance unless you are are playing on instant gib matchs.

Calysto
04-13-2013, 11:40 PM

Oh look, another angry person who feels they must insult everyone who disagrees with them... Yes, I have heard of UT and Halo... In fact, I even have mentioned Halo in my post, that you apparently didn't bother to read. It's been around for awhile, and it 's just a cheese tactic for those who cannot actually use cover/play smart. It's a silly tactic, and just promotes less skill based gameplay and caters more towards the other things I've said are bad for PvP. Lock on Infectors and Explosive weapon spam.

Dwane
04-14-2013, 12:48 AM
Looks like cloaking shotguner qq about infectors that can effectively kill him from safe distance once they have no cloak.

Also bunny hoping helps when using launchers and triggers perk when u deal more dmg when above enemy. If they irritate u so much, use its antiperk to take less dmg when below enemy.

And finally, speaking about yourself in third person in title is silly.

Huckleberry
04-14-2013, 01:02 AM
"Bunny hopping is easy to handle. I use a flaregun, which has a slow, arching bullet. And i can still read where they will land and hit them.

Infectors are already getting handled with the new update. Most explosives are easy to get away from, unless they are from a cloaked player. But pretty much everything is in that case, not just explosions.

Fiancee
04-14-2013, 01:09 AM
I dont know if bunny hopping was intended but it surely works nicely with the pace of match, so I kinda hope they dont remove it.

Btw, when to head shot, when to body shot, when to hop, when to crouch = competitve game. Sadly Defiance isnt even near there.

rush
04-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Oh look, another angry person who feels they must insult everyone who disagrees with them... Yes, I have heard of UT and Halo... In fact, I even have mentioned Halo in my post, that you apparently didn't bother to read. It's been around for awhile, and it 's just a cheese tactic for those who cannot actually use cover/play smart. It's a silly tactic, and just promotes less skill based gameplay and caters more towards the other things I've said are bad for PvP. Lock on Infectors and Explosive weapon spam.

lol your bad em k

Calysto
04-14-2013, 08:21 AM
lol your bad em k

You seem to troll every time I have seen you post. Are you seriously that immature that you just have to be so angry and insulting to everyone who isn't exactly like you? And no, I'm not bad. I'm typically top 3 on my teams, and no, I'm not a cloak/shotgun spammer. I don't even use a shotgun, as I've realized how OP they can be with Cloak, which I do use. There wasn't a single round that I didn't take first when I was cloak/shotgun, and I realized that's kind of unfun to just faceroll like that.

Escalith
04-14-2013, 04:34 PM
1. Bring back the cap and hold PvP map, it was fun.

2. Infectors are stupid OP with their extreme range lock on and high output in PvP.

3. If they aren't using an Infector primary, they're probably using some sort of an explosive weapon.

4. No skilled players can bunny hop their way to victory, and need something extreme done to kill bunny hopping if you ever want to come even remotely close to resembling "competitive" multiplayer.

5. I dunno, that's really about it. Those 4 things are my biggest complaint about the PvP so far.

Other thoughts, the 2 DM maps we have atm are crazy boring and completely unfun, while the Shadow Wars are extremely fun to play, as was the Cap and Hold map before it got removed on like day 3.

1. It's bugged, and should be back soon (once it's fixed (tm))

2. Dodge Roll. Best bet against an infector user is to A) stay at range and gun em down, B) Grenade em.

3. I've spend a fair amount of time in PvP by now, in roughly 1/10 matches (For me at least) people use explosive weapons. Maybe you're exeggarating this? Or you just have a bad luck with the que up. :/

4. What do you define as 'bunny hopping'? I havn't seen anyone hopping around the entire match, most only do it in close combat encounters where making yourself harder to hit is key to success. You can't just run to cover when there's a shotgun in your face. If you crouch you're an easier target (due to being slower) - If you roll you can't shoot and yet can be hit. What's left? Running left and right as well as hop around. Heck, I do it do in such situations. If you can't beat this tactic effectively, I am doing it right. I use movement control to my advantage to beat you in an encounter. And if you actually can follow the movement - jumping around doesn't matter anyway. Hell I even jumped over people to shoot them from above.

5. I think overall you're exeggarating the situation. Remember, in a small encounter CQC Map people will try to get the advantage as much as possible. If it's cloak, jumping or shotguns, anything to secure a win. If you can't find a way to beat either of those - they are doing it right by using a setup you can't beat.

Overcoming a setup is part of PvP, by countering it, tactics, etc. That's what makes it competitive. And not something along the lines of 'Everyone can't jump anymore now and X and Y is banned and Z shouldn't be in the game' so everyone is equal and when I run around with my gun at head level I'll score a headshot.

/Edit/

I hope this post won't be seen as a troll, whine, complaint or insult towards you. It's merely meant to be a different viewpoint from a player that doesn't dislike the current PvP.

(Oh, and the only real problem with infectors is the fact those bug-pods can block your vision almost entirely if you try to Aim down the Sights.)

Exlor
04-14-2013, 04:52 PM
I bunny hop in order to get a good angle on the ground when using a launcher to deal splash damage.

I bunny hop when traversing open spaces so that snipers will have a harder time to head shot me, should they be hiding in the bushes.

I bunny hop in close range against (cloaked) shotgun users in order to make them work in the vertical as well as the horizontal movement plane.

I bunny hop because it doesn't have a stamina mechanic, so there are virtually no downsides to it if you are using a weapon that can be used on the move. Until the devs implement something like a stamina system, you have to be crazy not to hop (and zigzag). To do otherwise is to line yourself up for a sniper bullet or a cloaked shotgun blast to the face.

Shanks
04-14-2013, 05:52 PM

There's actually a good way to fix endless bunny hopping and make it a strategic use, which for the life of me I can't figure out why no one does other than not wanting to slow down the hippity hops. Simply add a stamina meter good for about 4 jumps before it empties and then let it regen over time. It doesn't have to take a long time but it does add an element of thought as to when to expunge your inner bunny.

As for myself, I've gotten good at the bunny hopping headshot. Mainly on the bunnies. ;)

Calysto
04-14-2013, 06:50 PM
I hope this post won't be seen as a troll, whine, complaint or insult towards you. It's merely meant to be a different viewpoint from a player that doesn't dislike the current PvP.

Nope, the way you put things, just seems calm and through your own opinions without the overly popular insults because someone doesn't agree with you. As far as explosives being used, I do feel that about half the players I come up against use them, normally in conjunction with bunny hopping around. Reminds me of that scene from The Mask, when Carrey is bouncing around like a mad man while his landlady tries to blast away at him with her shotgun.

Bunny hopping being terrible for competitive PvP is as stated, just my opinion of things. I can't stand it, and feel that it overall brings the well being of the PvP down. I'm not necessarily for adding a stamina bar as has been suggested several times, but maybe just a MASSIVE shot spread while in the air to help counteract it.