PDA

View Full Version : Infectors SUCK!

Victim Eyes
04-13-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm sorry, I've tried to like this Popcorn Gun. I just don't have the patience to wait for something to die.

I've tried them all. The Canker, Immunizer, Outbreaker, Immoculator, Sporeshot, and the infamous Kernel Shot(made up). I'm sure there are more but I don't care to list them. Please, any Infector Aficionados, will you persuade me to as why this weapon is worth my time?

scrawnypaleman
04-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Infectors are awesome. I always have one in my loadout. So good against enemies like the Blacklung.

Aetrion
04-13-2013, 08:27 PM
BMGs are way worse than Infectors.

Ikagawa
04-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Bugs explode and it makes me giggle. That's all the reason I need!

HansKisaragi
04-13-2013, 08:33 PM
You forgot the Infector, Invader and the Intruder

atlantix
04-13-2013, 08:39 PM
infector is awesome
it has couple damages
initial dmg its around 5 its low
disease dot tick around 60
every 5-6 dart burst damage 500+ depending on the infector
bug damage 500+ per bug depending on the infector

they will nerf it on next patch but at the moment its really decent weapon

Shada Mori
04-13-2013, 08:41 PM
They are quite strong in pvp too when combined with Blur... zip in, infect, zip out of range... watch bugs kill player.

Lord Marshal
04-13-2013, 08:41 PM
infector is awesome
it has couple damages
initial dmg its around 5 its low
disease dot tick around 60
every 5-6 dart burst damage 500+ depending on the infector
bug damage 500+ per bug depending on the infector

they will nerf it on next patch but at the moment its really decent weapon

I always wondered how it could possibly kill things with the 4 damage listed. I have used them, but could never figure out exactly what they did.

Munx
04-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't love the infector, but it was definatly a pretty painless weapon to level to 10, compared to the bmg which was a god damned nightmare...

Bmg needs a serious dmg boost, its supportive abilities does not justify its non-existant dps.

Kroktar
04-13-2013, 08:42 PM
but canker inflict Dot damage not bugs damage.

atlantix
04-13-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't love the infector, but it was definatly a pretty painless weapon to level to 10, compared to the bmg which was a god damned nightmare...

Bmg needs a serious dmg boost, its supportive abilities does not justify its non-existant dps.
its out of topic but did you hit 10 with BMG?
did ya just damage or heal also increase skill?

Ikagawa
04-13-2013, 08:51 PM
I always wondered how it could possibly kill things with the 4 damage listed. I have used them, but could never figure out exactly what they did.

Turn on the combat damage option. You'll see what they do.

Vortex
04-13-2013, 08:56 PM
I used to think infectors were not very good too until I found a VBI INF-3 Canker. Get one your opinion will change as mine did.

Victim Eyes
04-13-2013, 09:04 PM
The Canker was the only infector I decided to mod, all lvl 2 and 3 mods, it still really sucked lol It produced no bugs. I do enjoy watching the bugs scatter around and home in on unsuspecting targets, though. The Outbreaker is my fav so far. I'm only trying to level infectors to 10 for the Commando challenge.

Multigun
04-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Ya really not happy with the upcoming patch notes. Nerfing infector because of PvP...so lame. In PvE 9/10 you can kill something faster with an AR or LMG as it is without the nerf..

Zoomz00m
04-13-2013, 09:14 PM
I have come to love the infectors. I use one coupled with a pump shotty and blur. Basically a chian reaction of guy infected, guy gets killed by shotty, bugs weaken other guys who get infected and then die and so on and so on. It works out really well, not to mention I get a bonus melee dmg of 45% with one of them + the perks.

Vortex
04-13-2013, 09:23 PM
The Canker was the only infector I decided to mod, all lvl 2 and 3 mods, it still really sucked lol It produced no bugs. I do enjoy watching the bugs scatter around and home in on unsuspecting targets, though. The Outbreaker is my fav so far. I'm only trying to level infectors to 10 for the Commando challenge.

I think you may be mistaken, though it does say in the description that it produces no bugs it still does. Try it and you'll see.

Night Stalker
04-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Didn't they already nerf infectors a bit??

Bedouin
04-13-2013, 09:31 PM
I think you may be mistaken, though it does say in the description that it produces no bugs it still does. Try it and you'll see.

The canker will spawn bugs on the death of the infected mob, vs the others that spawn bugs while the mob is still alive.

Lambchops
04-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Infectors have the cool factor going for them, definitely the most unique gun in the game, but they just aren't competitive with other guns in PvE. Doesn't mean they aren't viable, certainly not optimal though.

In PvP they are silly, that's well known at this point, but yes the PvP nerf applying to PvE is bad since they aren't great in PvE right now.

Santiak
04-13-2013, 10:35 PM
I've used Infectors and BMGs almost exclusively since I first found a version of either.

The main thing to keep in mind when using Infectors, is that the damage over time isn't equivalent to the "infected" indicators, the DoT runs out quite a bit before the indicators dissapear - so you'll need to refresh it more often than you think.
That being said, what kept me using them in almost every situation, is due to a couple of reasons:
- Infecting multiple enemies means you can spread the damage across multiple enemies faster. Granted, not as fast as a BMG under perfect conditions. Nor do they do as high single target damage as other weapons, but that's where the second reason comes in:
- Spreading out your DoT's will eventually start to result in compounded damage, a chain-reaction so to speak.
Once the first enemy dies, the bugs hatched will severely damage the next target - either by just a single one of the spawned bugs, or all of them. If you've "done your job" and kept the infected rating going on that enemy as well, the resulting bugs from that enemys death, who should be low on health by now as well, will further increase the wave of damage. Ultimately, the more you've been able to spread out your infections, the more damaging a wave of bugs you can create - kind of like "throwing pebbles into a pond will manifest a tsunami".
The downside is, of course, that while you're throwing pebbles, you could be hurling rocks - but I find the resulting damage is well worth the wait, simply because, as meantioned above, you can keep the damage going on multiple enemies, and as a result, multiply the result once you start to actually kill the enemies.

As for the variations:
Personally, I prefer the "Canker" and "Invader" variations because of the high rate of infection.
- In the Cankers case, the increased DoT makes up for the lack of bug damage, and yet the resulting bugs hatched when the target dies still allow you to build up the previously mentioned wave.
- As for the Invader, it relies more heavily on bugs, and will spawn a bug for each infection indicator. It's basically a more "fire and forget" version of the Canker, and you can spread out your damage more without having to focus on several enemies - the trade-off being that it will take a bit more time to get the ball rolling.

I've mainly focused on those two variation, but my experience with the other variations are:

- The Inflictor is more or less the same as the standard "Infector" variation. I believe it is bugged (no pun intended), and that it should actually spawn one extra bug per infection indicator (every 5 shots), or 2 bugs per 5 shots. But since it doesn't, it has the exact same stats and behaviour as the normal variation.
- The Inoculator is the crowd-control version. Instead of spawning bugs, it spawns "globs" that slow down the enemy. Basically, it makes it easier to spread the infection, but at the price of no additional bugs nor increase in damage over time.
- The Immunizer is, well, what it says it is; the long distance version. Usually the increased distance isn't all that useful, but can be a convenience at times. Obstacles or sheer number of enemies, along with the inability to fire accurately due to the lack of "manual" aim, results in the effectiveness falling somewhat short in the situations it was designed for.
- The Outbreaker, if I recall correctly, is more or less the "extreme" version of what the Inflictor should supposedly be. It gives you bugs faster, for the price of slightly more shots (3 shots per bug), but doesn't do much, if anything, in the way of DoT outside of that - again, if memory serves. The major difference between the Outbreaker and the "intended" Inflictor, is that your army'o'bugs should hatch slightly faster, and be slightly easier to maintain.

If I've gotten some of the names and actual mechanics mixed up, I apologize, in some cases I've nearly never used a given variation, so the connection between name and mechanic are a bit fuzzy. :)

So the way I try to use my Infectors, is by infecting as many targets as possible first, and once that's done, keep the DoT going on a single target. If that target takes a while to kill, I refresh the infections on the other targets, but don't worry too much about the "Infected" DoT on them, only that they will have at least some active infections going on them by the time the rush of bugs from my primary target reaches them.

On a final note, each consecutive 5 shots will trigger a comparatively large burst of damage. I'm unsure as to whether or not it adds another DoT, or if that's capped at 3x.
In any case, any perk that increases your reload speed helps you spread the infections faster, and since that's almost literally "the name of the game" with these weapons, decreasing the time it takes to either infest or hatch bugs, either by reload speed or magazine size, is what I find to be the most useful bonus for these weapons. :)

Edit: Tried to clean up the post a bit, seeing as it had its fair share of syntax and grammatical errors brought on by a slight case of sleep deprivation. ;o

Youngwings
04-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Infectors are meant to be a Stack weapon... So you can Hit them with the Infector, then switch to your secondary and deal 2 types of dmg at once.

Munx
04-13-2013, 10:40 PM
its out of topic but did you hit 10 with BMG?
did ya just damage or heal also increase skill?

Yeah I got 10, about to start the process again, as my alt just finished his 5000 lmg kills -.- and damage is infinitly better for leveling then healing, healing wont put a dent in the lvling bar.

I consider leveling a bmg on anything but a hulker or one of the scrapper scorpions to not be a viable option though.

Viryu
04-13-2013, 10:52 PM
I've used Infectors for a while, and found two problems with them - it takes a while to damage anything with it, a while that might have killed the enemy with an assault rifle. Second, the effectiveness of the weapon is diminished the bigger and harder to kill the enemy is.

Victim Eyes
04-13-2013, 10:56 PM
so i lied when i said i 'tried' them all. i own them all but have barely experimented with them. the innoculator is by far my favorite. it is basically the shotgun of infectors. my second fav is the immunizer for it's long range. i still have a lot of practice ahead of me, but my next venture is the DREADED BMG.

I appreciate the detailed descriptions Santiak.

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry, I've tried to like this Popcorn Gun. I just don't have the patience to wait for something to die.

I've tried them all. The Canker, Immunizer, Outbreaker, Immoculator, Sporeshot, and the infamous Kernel Shot(made up). I'm sure there are more but I don't care to list them. Please, any Infector Aficionados, will you persuade me to as why this weapon is worth my time?

Not a traditional MMO guy are ya?

They're great! They do what's known as Damage Over Time or DoT's.

For PVP spray and run away...spray and run away. Add a Syphon to one of the Mod Slots, now you're doing DoT and Syphoning some life from them as you're doing it.

Infectors don't suck, they just don't match up to your play style.

Santiak
04-13-2013, 11:01 PM
so i lied when i said i 'tried' them all. i own them all but have barely experimented with them. the innoculator is by far my favorite. it is basically the shotgun of infectors. my second fav is the immunizer for it's long range. i still have a lot of practice ahead of me, but my next venture is the DREADED BMG.

I appreciate the detailed descriptions Santiak.

I appreciate you reading my long-winded post ;)
Hope I didn't state too many obvious facts, and that you found something useful buried in that wall of text.

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 11:03 PM
I appreciate you reading my long-winded post ;)
Hope I didn't state too many obvious facts, and that you found something useful buried in that wall of text.

You should make a post with your info. I dind't know most of that stuff. xD That's some damn good info.

Victim Eyes
04-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Not a traditional MMO guy are ya?

is it that obvious? never built a PC up to the compatibility to run such titles.

now that one's reached a console that's NOT Phantasy Star Universe. I've decided to venture outta my comfort zone. I'm really enjoying this game and only want to contribute to the community in a positive manner. I adapt well. My play style is rush in and destroy before the enemy ever knew what hit em. Sometimes it takes a more mild approach than that. I'm learning as I go along...thanks to all the helpful ppl on this forum :D

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 11:06 PM
is it that obvious? never built a PC up to the compatibility to run such titles.

now that one's reached a console that's NOT Phantasy Star Universe. I've decided to venture outta my comfort zone. I'm really enjoying this game and only want to contribute to the community in a positive manner. I adapt well. My play style is rush in and destroy before the enemy ever knew what hit em. Sometimes it takes a more mild approach then that. I'm learning as I go along...thanks to all the helpful ppl on this forum :D

Well, welcome to the MMO World. :) We're mostly a helpful bunch, especially with new people. Find what weapons work for you.

I personally don't care for the infectors myself, as I like to mow things over with a SAW. But, they're pretty badass if you know what you're doing. I'm not new to MMO's and I'm adjusting to some oddities of this game, and loving it. :)

Santiak
04-13-2013, 11:12 PM
You should make a post with your info. I dind't know most of that stuff. xD That's some damn good info.

Cheers. :)
You're welcome to put it in your "Awesome Newbie FAQ", better that all the useful bits of information is gathered in one place ^^

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Cheers. :)
You're welcome to put it in your "Awesome Newbie FAQ", better that all the useful bits of information is gathered in one place ^^

That's Amber Fae's Awesome Newbie FAQ, not mine. I'll pass it along for you. :)

Evilution
04-14-2013, 02:02 AM
Infectors dots suck in comparison to fire nano effects and north flare pistol, they are hardly viable atm, be even worse after a nerf. I don't mind the homing being nerfed, as it is an easy to aim game, but nerfing the bug damage which is in no way over powered in pve, is ridiculous. I know they can be decent weapons on certain enemies, but they should be more viable as a main weapon like AR's, LMG's, SMG's, snipers etc. Why bother with an infector really, when you can throw a pyro grenade at a group of enemies and then mow them down with an automatic weapon instead. It's stronger and more effective and you kill them a lot faster. If they nerf the damage on them all, they should at least add the slow down effect to all of them, like some infectors have. Maybe that way they will still at least have some uses as a secondary weapon.

Soapi
04-14-2013, 02:09 AM
I'm using a Purple canker that gives 10% ego recharge and 20% Grenade recharge on reload. The idea is simple, cloak up, sit at mid/close range, infect the target while popping in and out of stealth, finish with pistol/smg/ar or shotty. After dumping a full clip into them they will be nearly dead if not dead. A magnum pistol or pump shotty should easily finish that last tiny notch of hp off.

If your team is working well together, the Canker becomes beast, any player without shields will easily die to your canker with little risk to yourself if you kite properly. Players who use shotguns are also easily kited. Keep a Frage Grenade in reserve for rushing blur shotgunners, you may die, but so will he.

Evilution
04-14-2013, 02:19 AM
I'm using a Purple canker that gives 10% ego recharge and 20% Grenade recharge on reload. The idea is simple, cloak up, sit at mid/close range, infect the target while popping in and out of stealth, finish with pistol/smg/ar or shotty. After dumping a full clip into them they will be nearly dead if not dead. A magnum pistol or pump shotty should easily finish that last tiny notch of hp off.

If your team is working well together, the Canker becomes beast, any player without shields will easily die to your canker with little risk to yourself if you kite properly. Players who use shotguns are also easily kited. Keep a Frage Grenade in reserve for rushing blur shotgunners, you may die, but so will he.
Your talking about pvp, I don't pvp but understand that they seem over powered in that. They don't need a nerf in pve and that's a problem most players have.

Dwane
04-14-2013, 02:20 AM
2 infectors that works for me are:
Immunizer (one with 40 range), bunnyhoping and keep distance.
other one is rather rare, dont remember its name but it has slowing effect, great when running with ppl around. Dont have dot dmg, but spawns alot of bugs, but slowing effect is great with current ammount of shotguners.