PDA

View Full Version : So, why do you never get to pick your hair style?

Taux
04-14-2013, 01:18 AM
So, apparently when you create a character, you are randomly assigned a hair style with no way of changing it unless you exit out and try to re-make a character.

This really irritates me because I'm stuck with the most ugliest hairstyle possible on main and only just now did I realise people had different hairstyles to me.

So, why exactly, out of all the customization options allow us to change the tiny detail of face shape, nose size chin shape, to then overlook such a defining thing like hair style?

Sorry, just annoys me.

Or are they extremely well hidden?

Dreamo84
04-14-2013, 01:20 AM
umm...you can change the hair style... you should look again lol.

RookieOnDuty
04-14-2013, 01:20 AM
When you have chosen you're base character and press next/proceed, there should be a screen with different tabs as to hair, tattoo's, makeup, skin color, those sorts of things.

Keithy21
04-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Plenty of options, when you create your character look at the very top left....

Kroesis
04-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Short answer: You can

redcoat
04-14-2013, 01:26 AM
are you serious?

Lambchops
04-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Plenty of options, when you create your character look at the very top left....

Yup, this. There are 4 tabs if I recall correctly. One of those is for hair, other 3 are for other various things.

Even with that in mind there isn't that much customization to be done, but yes you can customize your face/hair a bit. It's not exactly obvious and I ended up having to reroll after a few hours of play because I was told about it, but it's there.

Taaltos
04-14-2013, 01:32 AM
So, apparently when you create a character, you are randomly assigned a hair style with no way of changing it unless you exit out and try to re-make a character.

This really irritates me because I'm stuck with the most ugliest hairstyle possible on main and only just now did I realise people had different hairstyles to me.

So, why exactly, out of all the customization options allow us to change the tiny detail of face shape, nose size chin shape, to then overlook such a defining thing like hair style?

Sorry, just annoys me.

I made this, just now, just for you. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoH34xRJwms

Taux
04-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Talk about horrific GUI creation. Establishing that customization options will take place in the main window before sneaking in four small buttons in in the second menu and changing the "continue" button into confirm. :\

The least they could do is allow people to change it afterwards. (considering it's cosmetic)
Apparently this is a common issue, not being able to find these extra options for newer players.

wooo, stuck with super ugly hair at ~EGO 1200.

Hycinthus
04-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Talk about horrific GUI creation. Establishing that customization options will take place in the main window before sneaking in four small buttons in in the second menu and changing the "continue" button into confirm. :\

The least they could do is allow people to change it afterwards.
Apparently this is a common issue, not being able to find these extra options for newer players.

I'm very particular to how my character looks. I know EGO 1200 is already too much unfortunately, But if I was still EGO 500 or less, I would start over myself.

Who knows when they'll implement change feature in game. The Secret World took 6 months? By that time people have already moved on.

NalkorRN
04-14-2013, 10:33 AM

The least they could do is allow people to change it afterwards. (considering it's cosmetic)

Yeah, it sure isn't like City of Heroes/Villains.

Taux
04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
yeeap. Hence why I'm rather irritated by its subtlety of the option, now I'm forced to wear hats that cover my head so I'm not reminded of how ridiculous my character looks. -.-'

DeMoted
04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Don't know why everyone cares about looks you all look the same laying dead on the ground in front of me. :cool:

NalkorRN
04-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Don't know why everyone cares about looks you all look the same laying dead on the ground in front of me. :cool:

Not everyone pvps.

Taux
04-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Not to mention all PVP headgear forces a specific style or covers it. o3o

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Not everyone pvps.

You clearly missed the humor in it. He wasn't being serious.

JMadFour
04-14-2013, 10:39 AM
The customization options were incredibly obvious. they are on the very next screen after you select your race and basic template.

Don't be mad because you rushed through character creation and failed to pay even the smallest bit of attention.

that said, being able to change your customization options would be a welcome addition.

DeMoted
04-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Not everyone pvps.

I see you crawling towards me during Arkfalls.

Taux
04-14-2013, 10:43 AM
As someone who has great care in how their character looks, I looked for a while for more aesthetic options, i could not see any in the menu that it presented to me, so I assumed they'd be on the 3rd menu page, which started the actual game.

Poor GUI design should not force people into searching for options like that, they should be obvious, present and consistent between menus, which it was not.

I even went back and tried to create a new character and look for the options again, and i still could not find them because nothing ever points to "look at the very edge of the top of your screen while we distract you with this menu in the middle of the screen."

NalkorRN
04-14-2013, 10:51 AM
I see you crawling towards me during Arkfalls.

Kinda hard to see that Monarch doing a roll attack when it simply stops rendering because of everyone nearby.

Rhorge
04-14-2013, 10:54 AM
I missed it at first but then I thought "There is no way on this earth that a modern MMO won't let you change your hairstyle".

Ikagawa
04-14-2013, 11:11 AM
As someone who has great care in how their character looks, I looked for a while for more aesthetic options, i could not see any in the menu that it presented to me, so I assumed they'd be on the 3rd menu page, which started the actual game.

Poor GUI design should not force people into searching for options like that, they should be obvious, present and consistent between menus, which it was not.

I even went back and tried to create a new character and look for the options again, and i still could not find them because nothing ever points to "look at the very edge of the top of your screen while we distract you with this menu in the middle of the screen."

Seemingly everyone else found the options pretty easily. So yes, the problem is your eyes.

Rasczak
04-14-2013, 11:13 AM
are you serious?

Yeah, on the screen with Bone Structure options and stuff, look up at the top of the screen. There's a bar with different tab options, including eyes, hair (and hair color), scars, et cetera.

Kroesis
04-14-2013, 11:22 AM

It was obvious to me. Not a fantastic selection of styles but easy to find.

NeoDraven
04-14-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm very particular to how my character looks. I know EGO 1200 is already too much unfortunately, But if I was still EGO 500 or less, I would start over myself.

Who knows when they'll implement change feature in game. The Secret World took 6 months? By that time people have already moved on.

I wear full helmets or partial helmets it doesnt really matter to me.

Saboteur 6
04-14-2013, 11:54 AM
I think the real criminal here is the lack of an in-game appearance vendor so you can alter your character. This sort of thing will find it's way into the game eventually so the real question is "when" not "if".

Ikagawa
04-14-2013, 11:55 AM
I think the real criminal here is the lack of an in-game appearance vendor so you can alter your character. This sort of thing will find it's way into the game eventually so the real question is "when" not "if".

I'm sure Trion will add it to the Defiance Store. Why else make a Buy-to-Play game with a real money store if they aren't going to nickel and dime you to death?

dalendria
04-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Like others said, you can change your hairstyle. In fact, you can customize many things. The menu is at the top for PS3 - not sure about other platforms. You have to move over to the one for hair.

Taux
04-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Note: Tis more obvious on consoles because you move your selection left and right.
On PC it is harder to notice because your have a free moving cursor that does not automatically select those options, and when in the previous menu you are directed to look at the center of your screen, it can slip through rather easily come to this menu.

Ikagawa
04-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Note: Tis more obvious on consoles because you move your selection left and right.
On PC it is harder to notice because your have a free moving cursor that does not automatically select those options, and when in the previous menu you are directed to look at the center of your screen, it can slip through rather easily come to this menu.

Nope. I play on the PC. Found the options easily.

Taux
04-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Nope. I play on the PC. Found the options easily.

The reason why i say its an issue is because i've seen quite a bit of threads asking about more customization options.

Also that the Customization GUI is also very poor. Replacing buttons that previously did one thing now ends the whole process and adding in a completely new option area when taught that the window is the customization area, etc. :\

Game psychology stuffz.

Ikagawa
04-14-2013, 12:11 PM
The reason why i say its an issue is because i've seen quite a bit of threads asking about more customization options.

Also that the Customization GUI is also very poor. :\

Psh, don't be specific. The whole UI is pretty poor :P

Taux
04-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Oh right, sorry.

I ment GUI "Made for consoles" ;D

Thee Apothecary
04-14-2013, 12:37 PM
im sure they will bring in a change pack in the store eventally to make revenue off you guuys, if they aint already thought of that i think i should get 1% of all profit from those packs because its totally my idea not taken from any other games....guild wars......

Youkai Risu
04-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Yah I realized this too... I m not sure but I might start over mine since I m at ego 550 I think. It will be hard but the customizations are pissing me off that I have so little of right now.

Nextic
04-14-2013, 03:19 PM
The character creation really was a complete UX fail. A complete lack of hierarchy and flow left some key customization features lost to allot of people. In the latest patch notes they said they are going to update it so that's good. I just hope they sell post character creation customizers in the cash shop soon.

TamiC
04-16-2013, 09:30 PM
When you create a new character, does the stuff you acquired with your current character carry over to your new character? Do you keep our inventory, weapons, scrip, etc., or does creating a new character equal starting over?

FlamingNinja007
04-16-2013, 09:38 PM

Sorry, just annoys me.

I think I actually missed it too. I never saw a tattoos tab. Now, my characters hair looks pretty dumb. DAMMIT!

Aria
04-16-2013, 09:40 PM

People take time to help you and all you can do is complain about a UI ..thinking a thank you might have been more appropriate here?

On behalf of these nice people that took time to try and help you (Your Welcome)!

Ensu
04-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Well, when the new race comes out you'll have yet another reason to reroll!

Xazur
04-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Hahaha the customization menu screwed me in beta testing too, good thing I learned :P

Bored Peon
04-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Yeah I did not see a hair option. I exited, started again and missed it agian a second time apparently.

So how long ya think we gotta wait for some sort of barber to fix character creation?

Wtflag
04-17-2013, 12:07 AM
I actually missed it the first time round. But I was in a haste to secure my names so wasn't going to spent more time than necessary to get to the naming page.

For PC users with huge desktop resolution, the customisation tabs are ridiculously small and you can easily miss them.

Luckly been a MMO veteran, I knew there is absolutely no way any modern MMORPG would dare launch without at least some customization options. And to be frank, Defiance's score in this regards is 4/10.