PDA

View Full Version : Pistols: weak compared to other guns?

Lyokira
04-14-2013, 03:11 AM
Pistols seem somewhat weak compared to shotguns/SMG/LMG/AR, considering that for every pistol type, there's practically another gun from the other classes which does it better.

Long range DPS: AR is just more accurate, has more ammo, does more DPS due to the accuracy issue.
Mid/Close range DPS: SMG has more ammo, does more DPS.
Close/mid range Burst DPS: Shortguns burst way better, has more ammo.

Is there something I'm missing, or is pistol just something that you take because you are already using a SMG/LMG/AR and don't want to have ammo shared between your two guns?

Munx
04-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Pistol is all about the headshots, much like the sniper if you are not headshoting, you might aswell be meleeing.

Taaltos
04-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Nope. Some of the pistols have badass DMG, low clip quanity, but super fast reload.

Huckleberry
04-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Flaregun.

Loves me some flaregun.

Gregnar
04-14-2013, 03:22 AM
Pistols are great on hellbugs. Espacially if you've got good aim and go for weak spots.

Harsk
04-14-2013, 03:23 AM
A few actually knockback the victim. pretty sweet.

Over00
04-14-2013, 03:23 AM
Wolfhound. That is all.

Taaltos
04-14-2013, 03:24 AM
All the weapons have their strengths and are situational. :)

Lyokira
04-14-2013, 03:29 AM
All the weapons have their strengths and are situational. :)

Yes, but in what situation would you use a pistol instead of a separate comparable gun? (other than that you are already using SMG/LMG/AR and don't want to share ammo)

Taaltos
04-14-2013, 03:31 AM
Yes, but in what situation would you use a pistol instead of a separate comparable gun? (other than that you are already using SMG/LMG/AR and don't want to share ammo)

hellbug waves. a nice pistol with electricity. There's some uber-rapid fire pistols. PvP.

Lyokira
04-14-2013, 03:35 AM
hellbug waves. a nice pistol with electricity. There's some uber-rapid fire pistols. PvP.
What can a pistol do in a hellbug wave that a Shortgun/SMG/LMG/AR can't do? All those other guns can have electric mods too. SMG rapidfire equal/better than pistols, have more mag space to continue putting down DPS, has more ammo for sustained DPS.

Rhorge
04-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Votan mag blasters have 4550 potential dps. I don't see many weapons surpassing that.

Taaltos
04-14-2013, 03:41 AM
What can a pistol do in a hellbug wave that a Shortgun/SMG/LMG/AR can't do? All those other guns can have electric mods too. SMG rapidfire equal/better than pistols, have more mag space to continue putting down DPS, has more ammo for sustained DPS.
Faster rate of fire, one shot one kill, super fast reload.

Lyokira
04-14-2013, 03:52 AM
Votan mag blasters have 4550 potential dps. I don't see many weapons surpassing that.
Other than the small issue of... you didn't factor reloading into that, did you? You only need that much DPS when going against high HP enemies, and having to reload would cut down into that theoretical DPS. Also, they're fairly inaccurate (less accurate than SMGs I've used); at that point, because of the reloading issue, using a shortgun to burst would prove more effective.

Faster rate of fire, one shot one kill, super fast reload.
What pistol might that be?

HansKisaragi
04-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Nope.. pistol do very nice dmg.. your doing it wrong.

Other than the small issue of... you didn't factor reloading into that, did you? You only need that much DPS when going against high HP enemies, and having to reload would cut down into that theoretical DPS. Also, they're fairly inaccurate (less accurate than SMGs I've used); at that point, because of the reloading issue, using a shortgun to burst would prove more effective.

There are talents that fixes reload time.. also there are reload mods.

Indolo
04-14-2013, 04:02 AM
I love my VBI HP-5 Wolverine for up close and personal. It feels like it does more useful damage than my SMGs because it's burst fire seems tighter. Now, I only get 5 bursts per clip, so I do have to reload more with it, but for most game play, that's not a big deal for a secondary weapon. When I switch to it, it's to take out a couple of problems that have gotten a little too close, and then I'm back to my bolt-action.

Is it the best weapon in all situations? No, but it's a great side arm for a sniper for most general gameplay. It works nicely in minor arkfalls where my rifle isn't as useful, but for major arkfalls I tend to swap to other weapons, because we can swap to other weapons whenever we want if the situation calls for something else.

In fairness, I had a FRC sub-carbine that I really liked at the start of the game and I missed it while I was using pistols for a pursuit. When I got my wolverine, I stopped missing it. I recently tried a SMG again, but I went back to my wolverine. I do need to try more SMGs though, eventually.

It's all about the right tool for the right person for the right job.

Lyokira
04-14-2013, 04:03 AM
And all those talents which fix reloading time/reload mods also affects every other gun you have.For every talent/mod you use to improve reload, it could have been used to improve another area for other guns.

Lambchops
04-14-2013, 04:06 AM

A lot of it is going to come down to personal preference. I hate using ARs even though I know they are effective. I don't like the SAW even though it tears through mobs in PvE. I enjoy using Shotties and SMGs more then anything else, and tend to use them even in situations where another gun would probably be more optimal (I do use snipers as well). It feels more comfortable to me.

I don't care for Pistols all that much but clearly some people are digging them, and I have seen people be effective with them (for example, they can do some pretty ridiculous burst in PvP)

Rhorge
04-14-2013, 04:11 AM

I use them like longer range shotguns. It has amazing burst damage when you fight in dangerous situation.

Exlor
04-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Pistols are amazing if you figure out their niche. Here's my thoughts on them:

Wolfhound
THE semiautomatic pistol in Defiance. Someone else in the forum described it as a short-range sniper, because that's exactly what it is. With an insane base crit multiplier of 4x, you will be able to tear through enemies with highly vulnerable crit areas (Hellbug Monarch, Scrapper Forge, etc.). It's not that good against normal trash mobs due to its disappointing rate of fire and general inaccuracy on the move, though. You really need to be good at aiming to be able to use this weapon to its full potential, but if done well, you will out-DPS any AR or LMG hands down.

Wolverine
At its base it's a three-burst pistol but the bullets individually do heavy damage. I find that this pistol works reasonably well against trash mobs, and the crit multiplier is decent enough to act as a poor man's Wolfhound.

Full automatic pistols (Autopistol/Blaster)
Admittedly, I haven't used these two variants a lot and I don't know the difference between them, but as plenty have already mentioned, their dps is incredibly high, tearing through trash mobs. However, the pistol's small ammo reserve precludes players from using it as their main assault weapon, especially in PvP. Use it as a sidearm to finish off enemies or fend of people closing in on you if you have a main long-range weapon for example.

Magnum
This weapon is hard to use, and personally I have very little experience with it. However, I've heard some people use it with great success, though I don't know how. It has a 1000+ dmg bullet, but slow fire rate and relatively bad accuracy. I suppose you could use it at midrange against enemies whose crit areas are too hard to shoot at, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can tell?

Northflare
Basically, its a pocket incendiary grenade that explodes on impact. It's very easy with this weapon to hit criticals, because it has a wide splash and if any of it hits the head, its a crit. The large base damage of the projectile will therefore make any enemy hurt. Out of all pistols, this one performs best in complete mobility, suffering no accuracy loss when you dodge and jump around. The arc will make it hard to land long-range shots though, and the default 1-bullet magazine is a severe impediment. If you're lucky enough to get a variant with extra bullets in the magazine (as I once had), you will probably wield the best weapon in the entire game. Too bad it's going to get nerfed in the next patch.

Bull Rush
The knockdown pistol. Admittedly I haven't used it much either, because I'd rather prefer to kill my enemies directly rather than knocking them down. I don't know if this pistol works on larger enemies with huge hitpoints. If it does, then this weapon obviously has a good role in group fights. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend using it solo.

Major Nelson
04-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Pistols seem somewhat weak compared to shotguns/SMG/LMG/AR, considering that for every pistol type, there's practically another gun from the other classes which does it better.

Long range DPS: AR is just more accurate, has more ammo, does more DPS due to the accuracy issue.

Is there something I'm missing, or is pistol just something that you take because you are already using a SMG/LMG/AR and don't want to have ammo shared between your two guns?

*chucles to himself* i have a pistol that if i shoot anywhere near you
1.lose all shield
2. instant fire which then eventually kills you
so i just shoott and run away

ten4
04-14-2013, 04:40 AM
Wolfhound. That is all.

This.

Probably get nerfed for 4th time lol.

Lyokira
04-14-2013, 05:00 AM
Just an offnote about knockdown: there's a talent which synergizes very well with knockdown: Intimidation, which gives 75% bonus damage against flinched/knocked down/knock backed enemies.

DustOfDeath
04-14-2013, 05:38 AM
if wolfhound gets nerfed, you can just remove all pistols. Its the only pistol that is worth using (and the flare gun for pvp perhaps, dont know.. dont care about pvp).
And intimidation is only useful if you can get in 2nd shot after knockdown.

jameswithaz
04-14-2013, 05:51 AM
Pistol is all about the headshots, much like the sniper if you are not headshoting, you might aswell be meleeing.

for the most part this is completely true, pistols can absolutley wreck certain enemies that have ocasional crit spots like the bandit grenaider guys and certain bosses, and theres also a variant that has a crazy fire rate that is good for just raw damage

WalkingDeath
04-14-2013, 06:11 AM

A pistol is a sidearm, in what world would you ever expect it to be equal or better than a primary weapon? You aren't meant to just run around with only a pistol. But yes as people stated pistols can do rediculous DMG if you get headshots and maybe add the elemental damGe that reduces defense thus increasing damage done.

cfStatic
04-14-2013, 06:21 AM
A pistol is a sidearm, in what world would you ever expect it to be equal or better than a primary weapon? You aren't meant to just run around with only a pistol. But yes as people stated pistols can do rediculous DMG if you get headshots and maybe add the elemental damGe that reduces defense thus increasing damage done.
This isn't another shooter where you have to be amazing to win with it over other weapons, nor is it real life where pistols simply don't compare to primary weapons. You can use pistols in any given situation and they will perform just as well as another weapon. Well, that's not entirely true I suppose. The downside is the rate of fire on it, so if you're being swarmed by an abnormal amount of mobs and you can't funnel them somehow, then an SMG/AR/LMG/Shotty would be better.

Tgreen
04-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Pistols are awesome, as long as there are mobs with critical hit zones. For most major Arkfalls pistols with over 4x multiplier and modded to lose falloff damage will be what you want, same goes for hellbug crystal destuction.

A combination of high per shot damage, rate of fire of 6 or higher, magazine bonuses (on the weapon or mod if weapon has none) and high crit damage make pistols potentially one of the best choices actually. Especially with auto targeting.
And never ever put a scope on one of those things.

For example FRC Bull Rush can be brutal, especially if combined with the right traits, like Height Advantage + Overcharge + Intimidation ... +114% damage to your knocked down target before crits. Add in some nice bonus like grenade recharge on kill and a good [1] synergy and you have yourself a winner if used correctly.

But there are plenty of mobs that either move too eraticly or simply can't be crit or the crit zone is so small (or can only be seen from a certain direction) it's not wise to choose a weapon that wants to exploit crits.

illgot
04-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Flaregun is awesome. I use it with a +8 round magazine mod.

DeMoted
04-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Problem is people don't realize all guns are about Crits. So they shoot a shell of a Monarch and are like "wtf this gun suck" when it is just your aiming lol.

DeMoted
04-14-2013, 07:17 AM
*chucles to himself* i have a pistol that if i shoot anywhere near you
1.lose all shield
2. instant fire which then eventually kills you
so i just shoott and run away

So you don't kill many people? Rolling gets rid of fire FYI.

spellboundhound
04-14-2013, 08:56 AM
I found a Frc Magnum that does 1000 dmg more then the assault rifle I have. It just depends on what you like using

Delte
04-14-2013, 08:58 AM
I just started to use a pistol and my god its more powerful than my combat shotgun.

ten4
04-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Flare pistols are getting a nerf, as to how much we shall see. Right now it's one the most OP things in game with a +4 mag secondary and or +8 mag too haha. With certain perks, I was getting 5k crits on matrons in last event I did; beat 2nd place by 3 mill. ;)

They are probably nerfing the flare hard so all there is left is wolfhound...well until that gets nerfed AGAIN too. :(

Raikon
04-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Ok , here how it goes.
Pistols in real life are guns you use in close quarters because they are made for this function.
On the other hand for longer distances you require a more powerful gun, therefore a LMG or assault rifle.
Believe me I know I have used both.
So this is a game that follows the same rules.......?
Put it this way, I have yet to see a marine sniper laying down and holding his breath to shoot an enemy 1 mile away using his pistol.
Oh dear.

Fiancee
04-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Pistols with extreme rate of fire and good single-shot damage are worth to use.

DustOfDeath
04-14-2013, 09:49 AM
the only reason i do use wolfhound is crit - but thats as logn as you face mobs with weaks pots or manage to do proper headshots.

the story mission purple pistol atthe end does ok damage and accuracy - but i was out of ammo before i managed to kill a few opponents - perhaps good for pvp kills 1 vs 1 but nothing to do with it in pve.

magnums etc are way too inaccurate and slow.
I do get pistols falloff damage but bloom is just awful - you cant make everything based off real life in games.

And even in real life no pistol has "bloom" like that - when u point gun at someone ur guaranteed hit even meters away. Not that my bullet magically travels 45 degrees upwards and misses target...

If we could get dual pistols... :D awww

Rhorge
04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
the story mission purple pistol atthe end does ok damage and accuracy - but i was out of ammo before i managed to kill a few opponents - perhaps good for pvp kills 1 vs 1 but nothing to do with it in pve.

It is good as a secondary, when you're caught on low life and with your pants off, just whip it out and deal a huge burst of damage.

JMadFour
04-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Pistols are only weak if you are not aiming for the head.

Out51d3r
04-14-2013, 09:59 AM
The early game pistols kinda suck, IMO. It turned me off of pistols for quite a while. Eventually though, I picked up a Mag Blaster and reevaluated the situation. I've been using pistols as my secondary ever since(my primary weapon is a sniper).

Blaster: The dps this thing puts out in close range is absurd. Mod it with extended mags and/or pick up reload related perks. Don't use it as your primary weapon though, it chews through your ammo way too quickly. If you're facing a target that you can't reliably crit for whatever reason, this is a pretty solid gun. I'd rate it about a 6/10. If it wasn't for the low max ammo for pistols, I'd rate it higher.

Wolfhound: If you are a sniper, you should probably consider making this your secondary weapon. It's got good damage, fire rate, and most importantly crit multiplier. All your crit-related perks will work for this gun just as well as they do for your sniper. Even if you're not a sniper, this thing is still extremely potent if you are good at getting crits. I'd rate this one 9/10. Damn near perfect gun. The max ammo issue isn't as much of a problem here, due to massive crits making it require way less bullets to get a kill than other pistols. This, of all pistols, I'd consider using as a primary weapon.

Wolverine: Kind of a middleground between the blaster and the Wolfhound. Fires 5 shots bursts, fairly accurate. Decent damage, fire rate, and crit multiplier. Doesn't chew through ammo like the blaster, but also takes more bullets to kill than the Wolfhound. I'd probably rate it 7/10.

I've got an orange flaregun I've been meaning to try out as well. It looks pretty powerful, but doesn't seem to fit with my normal sniper spec.

Youngwings
04-14-2013, 09:59 AM
My Legendary Burst Pistol deals out about 1500dmg to headshots. Compared to the 300-400 from ARs... I think pistols are a perfect Fallback weapon.

ShadowViper
04-14-2013, 10:00 AM

You need to get one of them fully automatic VOT ones and give it an extended clip lol

Figma
04-14-2013, 10:04 AM
I got legendary vot blaster and tacc auto and i tell you they are not weak

DustOfDeath
04-14-2013, 10:15 AM
thats the problem - they are offhand weapon however most other stuff just simply overpowers it as a offhand.

I could throw a combat shotgun offhand and still tear them to pieces or bmg thats on average 400dmg/sec or heal or slow or resist.
Or a smg that has high damage and accuracy (there are some at 0.15 bloom).

They need some kind of advantage: reduced bloom for most pistols, reduced reload, more clip (in fact most pistols, semi automatic and such got more clip then anythign i see ingame - many go up to 30 per clip, some full auto pistols got even larger clips - up to 50).
And more ammo reserve (if you take it realistically - 500 rifle ammo would be like 40kg anyways -_-)

Tgreen
04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
And more ammo reserve

This is quite valid. 150 is too low. 250 sounds a lot better.

(if you take it realistically - 500 rifle ammo would be like 40kg anyways -_-)

Yeah ... and 15 rockets, 40 grenades and something around 50 weapons. I don't think realism is an issue with an MMO game when it comes to luggage.

Lyokira
04-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Offhandedly, is Northflare supposed to be able to chain-stagger Monarch (hitting it on the back weakspot after it rolls causes it to stagger and re-expose the weakspot), and the burn damage completely separate from the fire element burn damage (meaning a fire element northstar can have both Dots rolling)?

Dusty Gonzongas
04-14-2013, 07:53 PM
my 1900 damage (non crit) Flaregun says otherwise.

It's basically a launcher cept I have alot more ammo.

The only problem with it certian mobs grenades can't hit like the stupid arms in the on arfall or the flying robot thing that fixed them....

Lyokira
04-14-2013, 08:14 PM
my 1900 damage (non crit) Flaregun says otherwise.

It's basically a launcher cept I have alot more ammo.

The only problem with it certian mobs grenades can't hit like the stupid arms in the on arfall or the flying robot thing that fixed them....
If talking about pure damage, grenade shotguns can put out just as much non-crit damage, if not more (because they actually have a variety of "grenade" types, along with multishot options), with larger AoE. Granted the flaregun can crit way better, and possibly better flat DPS because of dot and crit. Then again, grenade launchers has nearly as good damage with way better AoE, with the exception that it actually counts as an explosion for perks, allowing them to vastly improve their kill spree, if not for the even more pathetic ammo capacity..

NalkorRN
04-15-2013, 12:05 AM
If talking about pure damage, grenade shotguns can put out just as much non-crit damage, if not more (because they actually have a variety of "grenade" types, along with multishot options), with larger AoE. Granted the flaregun can crit way better, and possibly better flat DPS because of dot and crit. Then again, grenade launchers has nearly as good damage with way better AoE, with the exception that it actually counts as an explosion for perks, allowing them to vastly improve their kill spree, if not for the even more pathetic ammo capacity..

There are pistols out there with very high crit multipliers. Using the right load out, you can have pistols with 5.0 crit multiplier and doing around 1,000 damage or so per shot normally or close enough. I saw a video of it on Youtube. Basically, the Wolfhound pistol is a short-range, rapid fire sniper rifle.

Lyokira
04-15-2013, 12:10 AM
There are pistols out there with very high crit multipliers. Using the right load out, you can have pistols with 5.0 crit multiplier and doing around 1,000 damage or so per shot normally or close enough. I saw a video of it on Youtube. Basically, the Wolfhound pistol is a short-range, rapid fire sniper rifle.

I was referring directly to the flaregun. :V (and I know, recently got a legendary fire Northstar with bonus mag and crit multiplier.. and can see why it needs to be nerfed. AoE weapons shouldn't have so much crit)

Wtflag
04-15-2013, 12:25 AM

Pistols take up one weapon slot, same as any other weapon.

So it is not a sidearm and should not be viewed as such. Ie it should be balanced same as "main" weapons.

Shada Mori
04-15-2013, 12:25 AM
The VBI HP-5 Wolverine is not only my favorite pistol, but hands down one of my favorite guns in the game. It was throughout alpha/beta too. If you have even moderately good aim its a beast. I am fortunate enough that I got a gold one from a L4 chest that I am holding onto till I max pistols entirely .. then it will be my goto gun.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b481/Kiyoko_Mori/boomboompow_zps0ce6ae99.jpg

Still need to flush its mods and stick some proper synergy in but that's my baby.

Wtflag
04-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Ok , here how it goes.
Pistols in real life are guns you use in close quarters because they are made for this function.
On the other hand for longer distances you require a more powerful gun, therefore a LMG or assault rifle.
Believe me I know I have used both.
So this is a game that follows the same rules.......?
Put it this way, I have yet to see a marine sniper laying down and holding his breath to shoot an enemy 1 mile away using his pistol.
Oh dear.

Yes. Pistols damage falls off rapidly. SMG/Assult/LMG falls off less rapidly. Sniper don't fall off.

Erei
04-15-2013, 12:32 AM
Yes. Pistols damage falls off rapidly. SMG/Assult/LMG falls off less rapidly. Sniper don't fall off.
SMG fall off as rapidly as pistol. Maybe more, as after 5m you start having falloff.

Era
04-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Anyone complaining pistols need a nerf is conveniently ignoring that the weapon type REWARDS SKILL. You aren't using a rapid fire spray and pray type weapon. You are using a close range shoot on the fly sniper designed for high accuracy and high damage in exchange for a limited operational range that basically requires you to be in the danger zone at all times and to be able to hit a moving target's weak point.

The best players should be the deadliest.

BassGSD
04-15-2013, 12:40 AM
This.

Probably get nerfed for 4th time lol.

That would make me a very sad/angry person.

Especially since I have one with a 5.2x Crit modifier (x1.15 innate, and the x1.15 barrel attachment).

It's a thing of beauty. It's no Beta Wolfhound, but it's still awesome.

Lyokira
04-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Anyone complaining pistols need a nerf is conveniently ignoring that the weapon type REWARDS SKILL. You aren't using a rapid fire spray and pray type weapon. You are using a close range shoot on the fly sniper designed for high accuracy and high damage in exchange for a limited operational range that basically requires you to be in the danger zone at all times and to be able to hit a moving target's weak point.

The best players should be the deadliest.

With the exception of Northstar, which as far as I can tell has no damage falloff, AoE (so crits are even easier to get), has as much range as any other nade weapon, but with way higher crit damage, in addition to a fairly strong DoT.

Evilution
04-15-2013, 01:13 AM
North flare get Dot's and then switch to an automatic weapon :)

Just need a toxic or radiation AR now, then I will have even better dps :p

Abola
04-15-2013, 03:45 AM
Pistols, like other weapons, are great in the right situation.

I have a load-out of a decent AR and a Purple Wolfhound(? the semi-auto one, not burst fire).
It has critical damage of 4x (or 4.5x) and is stunning when enemies get too close.
Having this combined with higher % critical when crouched, extra damage from behind and Decoy power means i rip through anything i can get a decent aim on.

The big guys/mutants with Mini-guns/Grenade launchers go down like a grad student with a bad credit history. Pop the fuel tank, then when they drop and open their mask, face shot them.... i've been getting 3k + damage up close with this little beauty!!

DIGITAL SMOKE
04-15-2013, 04:03 AM
Wolfhound with a crit multiplier mod FTW. Best used on anything that has a critical weak spot.

sgtCuddles
04-15-2013, 04:21 AM
I mean sure, everyone knows the wolfhound is great. But does anyone actually use a magnum? Some weapons are just trash compared to others in the same set. Kinda lame.

Death Strike
04-15-2013, 05:03 AM
What about the pistol you get at the end of the San Fran missions. I put a +9 clip on that sucker and it does 354 a shot, 34 shots in 2-3 seconds with quick reload. Its my "go to" gun when my LMG is reloading and I need a quick kill. I don't use it primarily cuz pistols only have 150 rounds =P

sgtCuddles
04-15-2013, 05:06 AM
I don't use it primarily cuz pistols only have 150 rounds =P
That's exactly why people don't tend to use it~

MirrorStream
04-15-2013, 05:11 AM

they are useless crap. Devs should make the reload REAL fast or add some another bonus, something like a lighter version of force field of the pneumatic hand weapon. I'll never use them after I'll level pistol skill to 5 for pursuit