PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to this game when next-gen consoles arrives?

Darky
11-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Seeing that the next-gen consoles are around the corner, are they going to port it? if so what will happen to PS3 and Xbox 360 ports will they keep supporting them?

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Kalbuir
11-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Realistically we are at least still I think a year off the next consoles for XBOX and PS (correct me if I am wrong), at that time to be honest I think it's too late to bring Defiance to those consoles. It seems TRION strives to develop for all 3 of the current platforms without having a leading one. So it's not a case of finishing a PC version first and then "porting" it. While this is a good thing as it means higher quality games.

I do think that that at least rules out an easy "fix" for the new consoles, HOWEVER, I would not be suprised if the new consoles are backwards compatible as both Sony and MS have developed and invested in their online content and portal. Would make sense to not throw all that content out the window once a new generation goes live. So that might be a hope for that.

Personally I wouldn't worry about next gen consoles + defiance, first play Defiance on the current generation :P. That being said I will most likely play on PC so maybe that's easy for me to say!

Shadinaxx
11-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Aye, most MMO games have a source code that reads how to interpret the game world (what you see and how you interact with it), then you have the raw data that is accessed client side to speed up how quickly you can proccess the depth of the world. That raw data is fairly common, with a few variances based on the type of hardware you are using. With the consoles, it would be about the same difficulty in maintaining support as the differance between a med grade gaming PC and an ultra mega dual vid card, top of the line gaming PC.

When the new consoles come out, the most likely scenario would be that Trion has a patch for those that are upgrading to the new consoles, and the game would still be available for those that remain playing on the older consoles. Just, the newer consoles may run a bit smoother, as they will have better hardware and have access to other features the older consoles would not have the power to utilize.

I'm just hoping that with the next gen consoles, MS and Sony will allow cross platform gameplay

Darky
11-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks you guys for the replys, yeah i was hoping to continue play defiance when the next-gen consoles are out (at least 2014) so the backward compatibility sounds like a life savior though i heard that PS4 for example will be using AMD processor while PS3 is using cell processor so it will impossible to play the same game in both games without porting of course all this just rumors but it could be true and make sense since the cell processor is difficult to develop on and made SONY suffer with few developers.

Am saying this because currently am in a closed beta testing a game called DUST 514 a MMOFPS free-to-play for PS3 coming out next year with open beta early 2013 but the devs team has already confirmed to us that the game will be ported to PS4 when its arrive and its not that hard to do so i was hoping the same thing can be done for Defiance.

Cheers

Rowan
11-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Aye, most MMO games have a source code that reads how to interpret the game world (what you see and how you interact with it), then you have the raw data that is accessed client side to speed up how quickly you can proccess the depth of the world. That raw data is fairly common, with a few variances based on the type of hardware you are using. With the consoles, it would be about the same difficulty in maintaining support as the differance between a med grade gaming PC and an ultra mega dual vid card, top of the line gaming PC.

When the new consoles come out, the most likely scenario would be that Trion has a patch for those that are upgrading to the new consoles, and the game would still be available for those that remain playing on the older consoles. Just, the newer consoles may run a bit smoother, as they will have better hardware and have access to other features the older consoles would not have the power to utilize.

I'm just hoping that with the next gen consoles, MS and Sony will allow cross platform gameplay

Kinda summed up what I thought here.. I imagine that Trion will do it's best to make it accessable for new generations.. Afterall, really successful MMOs have a decent lifespan that will surpass our current generations. I also imagine that if Sony and Microsoft want a piece of Defiance they will work with Trion to make sure the compatibility is there and vice versa.

Making the PS3 incompatible with previous PS games was perhaps the only reason I did not buy one though. I loved a lot of PS and PS2 games way more than most of what came out on PS3 at the time and now it's relatively pointless to buy one.