PDA

View Full Version : Defiance Dev for a day, what would you do?

Kalbuir
11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
You are a Defiance dev for a day what would you do ?

I'll go first:
First I'll make sure I meet all the people in the office, introduce myself and shake their hand. Thank them for making stuff happen!

Then it would be time to get to work, hopefully have the ability to contribute to make PVP all it can be as that is the thing that I find most important in Defiance. An instance based PVP map like bombing run would be my addition of choose to Defiance.

Now what would you do?

dahanese
11-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I would hang out with the community.

Wait a second... ;-)

Night Hawke
11-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I'd have all kinds of goals, systems & features i'd want to get setup and developed. but to be entirely honest i'm betting it would devolve into a defiance game play day! lol.

Shadinaxx
11-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Well, I would walk around with a show prop gun (spread rocket launcher would seem fitting), and I would want to visit the scripting room first, and listen in on some of the ideas (and spoilers, muahhaa). I would then want to join the mad scientists in the open world encounters teams, and try to sound like I was just as much of a mad scientist as they. Finally, I would issue a challenge to the staff to see who could get the most crazy stunts on their atv and stream it.

Oh and finally, I would want to wear a T-shirt that says "I got shot by dahanese" (but I would take home the spread rocket launcher prop, anyways, and write "Binds on Pickup" under the hilt)

Jenbuu
11-08-2012, 10:34 AM
one simple thing bar making the game and meeting everyone would be on my mind...

NERF WAR!

Kalbuir
11-08-2012, 10:54 AM
I would hang out with the community.

Wait a second... ;-)

haha, I guess it's good you do what you do then :D

vampero
11-09-2012, 08:12 AM
I would have a get together with Defiance Fan sites and give a in depth look at the game inside and out !

DigitalHitmann
11-11-2012, 05:10 PM
For me it really depends what they had hired me for or asked me to do, but for me personally I am an atmosphere guy. To have the best experience possible, you have to gauge what your fans like and dislike and alter them accordingly. You have to understand that you wont be able to please everyone, but you're shooting for the vast majority.

With the sense of "Atmosphere" or "Immersion" you have different levels; Setting, Character, Sound. Im sure there is alot more than the three key points I am bringing up but for me they're the most crucial because the setting is what you're going to be seeing all the time, your character is what you're going to be using all the time, and the sound is what you're going to be hearing all the time. You want to appeal to people's senses. How does a character look, how would he or she feel if you could touch them, what would they wear and why would they wear it, and how would they sound and what would they say? Designers have a way of doing this with different textures, models, and sound design.

That's what I would love to work on, creating the best atmosphere for gamers. :)

^JG

Plasma
12-06-2012, 12:14 AM
i would do what all the dev on the SL live stream do speed hack and turn everyone into sheep

Sp3cia1
12-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Well lets see you could do some box modeling,write a LDD, fill out some bug reports out in JIRA(or the service Trion uses for bug tracking), program some code only to realize you didn't follow any conventions causing various issues through the back buffer and front buffer and if you really want to go at it try your hand at HLSL and pretty much break everything, start to layout UV and paint them in zbrush/mudbox and not even start to normal map. Then realize your deadline is 24 hours from now so you crunch all day, reading all the style guides and various other documentation. So pretty much jumping in you got a lot of reading to do.

NitroMidgets
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM
It would probably go about the same way it did when I visited Red5 last year. I spent the better part of a day just looking at the artwork and future content that was hanging on the walls. Then I got to talking to the different people about their contributions to the game from art work, sound design, game play, etc. Ask how they all came to work on the game, how much input the different teams had in the final design, what tools were created specifically for the development of the game and where they see it taking them.

Creating a successful game from what I have seen is a bit like a parent who's raised a child into a wonderful adult. Those who actually put their heart and soul into the game usually speak in terms that a parent would. They speak about it with pride and love. Games take years and are in a sense a work of love.

Oh and I might try to walk away with some autographed loot.

stormaaron
12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Buy the team a cookie to get them to work faster enough said :p

Pitty
12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
I'd give myself beta acess :D

stormaaron
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM

(-.-) smart smart man

Siantlark
12-11-2012, 08:37 PM
I'd familiarize myself with everybody in the studio then start putting in random easter eggs about other games/media/books in the game in as many places as possible. Hellgate bugs! You Shall Not Overpasses! The Defiance Star! Aranhas Hellbugs! The Walking Votans! A Game of Arkfalls! Syfyside 2! World of Earth!

Arkamenitas
12-11-2012, 08:48 PM

i see your beta access and raise you beta access for everybody!

stormaaron
12-16-2012, 12:38 AM
i see your beta access and raise you beta access for everybody!

really smart man (-_-)

Suun Brakur
12-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Create a Defiance open source role playing software (like PCGen) specifically designed (synced) to work with series and mmo game play. Assemble a team who sends out role-playing events to software for users in clan to respond to of course in line with what is going on in the episodes. This can include those who may not be involved in the gaming but the series allowing them to be involved also. If that makes sense.

Working on developing a Defiance clan that will be into the role-playing and I need software to track events activities, character progression, role-playing action of clan, sync with game and episodes etc. & etc. Defiance specific!

Dolnor
12-19-2012, 05:43 AM
After fainting from my good fortune and picking myself off the floor...

I would visit every department and try to absorb as much Dev Time as possible. I would also want a Dev T-shirt to prove I was there. And go out for some pizza and beer for lunch! -)

But I would actually rather be an Investor than a Dev. An investor can come and go as they please... Devs' are chained to their desks and require hall passes to visit the wall-o-soda and for bio-breaks! -)

TQQdles™

Paladin
12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Leave notes to all the devs to not forget about the aerial combat "we planned to implement"
I want spaceships!

Chaotica
12-19-2012, 03:17 PM
I'd throw down the idea for breaking apart stats for PvP and PvE because balancing for either one breaks the other.

Alternatively, I'd take a ton of pictures with the staff, oogle the artwork, and ask if I can be a voice in the game for something, because that would be super neat. :)

AmazingPatt
12-19-2012, 05:21 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this only

BLOODMODE
01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I would scrap the idea of making some of the weapons look like cobbled together pieces of garbage a la Borderlands. Some of the rifles with random spring and tape and random other misshapen pieces of metal look pretty out of place and don't make sense why someone would do that.

Krazee DD
01-04-2013, 04:53 PM
I would scrap the idea of making some of the weapons look like cobbled together pieces of garbage a la Borderlands. Some of the rifles with random spring and tape and random other misshapen pieces of metal look pretty out of place and don't make sense why someone would do that.

Its all about community, so I would take the time to say hello to them.

B3ANTOWN B3A5T
01-04-2013, 05:53 PM
* incoming mini-rant*

If there are claymores in this game I would take the time to do them justice FOR ONCE IN A VIDEO GAME PLEASE !

No more of this laser tripwire COD crap. I want them remote detonatable (might have made that last word up) like they used to be in proper shooters like Socom 1 2 and 3.

And since this game universe is massive for a shooter(which I assume the actual competitive MP maps will also be) can we please give them the balls they so deserve. Im tired of this piss poor 5 feet of range crap. They have much more of a far reaching impact then what they are given credit for.

So yeah if I was an honorary dev for a day I would somehow give my personal favorite weapon its due.

JellyBean
01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
* incoming mini-rant*

If there are claymores in this game I would take the time to do them justice FOR ONCE IN A VIDEO GAME PLEASE !

No more of this laser tripwire COD crap. I want them remote detonatable (might have made that last word up) like they used to be in proper shooters like Socom 1 2 and 3.

And since this game universe is massive for a shooter(which I assume the actual competitive MP maps will also be) can we please give them the balls they so deserve. Im tired of this piss poor 5 feet of range crap. They have much more of a far reaching impact then what they are given credit for.

So yeah if I was an honorary dev for a day I would somehow give my personal favorite weapon its due.

I think they already did, except its a grenade launcher with remote detonation... counts?

B3ANTOWN B3A5T
01-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I think they already did, except its a grenade launcher with remote detonation... counts?

That sounds awesome. Is their footage of this weapon?

smashasaurus
01-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Id go grab a list of things the players want in the game and see how many of them are possible, maybe see which could be done quickly or are less difficult and make a timeline on the website so people could see which have been discussed or given the green light and when players could expect them to be released in-game.

Deacon
01-05-2013, 07:49 AM
I really care about the extended playability of the game.

Here's the thing... most MMO's experience a massive amount of players at launch - many of which grind through the themepark aspects of a game and then move onto the next offering because there's nothing really left to stick around for. Content simply CANNOT be produced fast enough to keep up with the rate of consumption.

This is where User Generated Content (which is risky but can be great if the right tools and processes are in place) and sandbox elements come into a game.

When you give the players a world which they can really 'move into' and make their own, they likely will. So... that's what I'd do. I'd write up high-level design docs for game features which would enhance the chances of player retention through immersion.

chooseareality
01-11-2013, 12:08 PM
I would ask for a bug in the gameplay code, pin it down, fix it up, get it reviewed and well commented and checked in, then see if they would be interested in paying for relocation. :P

Dryblood
01-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd jump into community management, you can't beat interacting with people who are passionate about the thing you created.