PDA

View Full Version : Defiance ep 1

UberNinja
04-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Just watched the pilot episode of Defiance. Pretty good actually... I love the connections in game.

Defy
04-14-2013, 04:51 PM
glad you enjoyed it :)

fitgamer
04-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Yes Loved it, had a marathon play last night on Xbox, watched episode 1, 3 times!

Dandrielas
04-14-2013, 04:57 PM
I want to fight the Volge(?) now.

jonwes
04-14-2013, 05:08 PM
I watched it twice last night. I thought it was great. The characters are a bit sketched in at the moment (you can only do so much in an hour and a half), but definitely likable and/or intriguing. Loved the scheming (especially the last reveal!) and I thought the effects were spectacular for TV sci-fi. I imagine there will be quieter episodes, of course, to balance out the budget, but I really thought the world was incredibly well realized.

Nolan and Irisa were great as the heart of the show, but there are plenty of fun character. There really wasn't anyone that hit a bum note, though some of the actors are clearly better than others. I enjoyed Doc Yewll a lot though. She got some of the best lines. Looking forward to seeing how the characters deepen and where the plot lines take them. It was interesting that E-Rep was something of an adversary (at least politically) to Defiance. I look forward to learning more about the set-up of this new world.

And yes, I want to fight the Volge too! Though I'm a little scared too...

Dandrielas
04-14-2013, 05:12 PM
I watched it twice last night. I thought it was great. The characters are a bit sketched in at the moment (you can only do so much in an hour and a half), but definitely likable and/or intriguing. Loved the scheming (especially the last reveal!) and I thought the effects were spectacular for TV sci-fi. I imagine there will be quieter episodes, of course, to balance out the budget, but I really thought the world was incredibly well realized.

Nolan and Irisa were great as the heart of the show, but there are plenty of fun character. There really wasn't anyone that hit a bum note, though some of the actors are clearly better than others. I enjoyed Doc Yewll a lot though. She got some of the best lines. Looking forward to seeing how the characters deepen and where the plot lines take them. It was interesting that E-Rep was something of an adversary (at least politically) to Defiance. I look forward to learning more about the set-up of this new world.

And yes, I want to fight the Volge too! Though I'm a little scared too...

I liked how they portrayed the characters. The mobster, the mine boss, the (funny) harlot, and the mayor. In a way, the cast kinda reminds me of the character interaction in Firefly.

jonwes
04-14-2013, 05:15 PM
I liked how they portrayed the characters. The mobster, the mine boss, the (funny) harlot, and the mayor. In a way, the cast kinda reminds me of the character interaction in Firefly.

Definitely. Or Farscape. Definitely a lot of fun interactions. The characters are a bit archetypal in some ways, but plenty of shows start there and deepen from there, which is what I hope will happen here. I definitely felt you got the sense that will happen. Whether that was from the writing or what the actors brought to their roles, I'm not sure.

IGears
04-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Just watched the pilot episode of Defiance. Pretty good actually... I love the connections in game.

where did you watch this at now?

Dandrielas
04-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Definitely. Or Farscape. Definitely a lot of fun interactions. The characters are a bit archetypal in some ways, but plenty of shows start there and deepen from there, which is what I hope will happen here. I definitely felt you got the sense that will happen. Whether that was from the writing or what the actors brought to their roles, I'm not sure.

I can't believe I forgot Farscape and Andromeda as well, but yeah, I am sure their characters will deepen because it is kinda hard to get to that point with a hour and a half.

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 05:22 PM
where did you watch this at now?

You can watch it on Amazon.

jonwes
04-14-2013, 05:23 PM
You can watch it on Amazon.

You could. Last I looked it said it was no longer available. I think it was a flub and has been taken down. I'll be supporting the show by watching it Monday, anyway. Which I hope others will do. It'd be awesome to get a good rating number just to get some hype going.

Swampster
04-14-2013, 05:25 PM
I spent my time wondering why Vincent Van Gogh was looking so pastey.... :p

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 05:26 PM
You could. Last I looked it said it was no longer available. I think it was a flub and has been taken down. I'll be supporting the show by watching it Monday, anyway. Which I hope others will do. It'd be awesome to get a good rating number just to get some hype going.

I watched it already, but I will be watching it again Tomorrow as well. Was definitely good enough to re-watch. :)

Maximus Prime
04-14-2013, 05:32 PM
It wasn't bad. But i wasn't expecting anything amazing, so it was pleasant surprise.
Nolan and Irisa, both well played, convincing characters. Good thing they're leading us through the story then.
Nolan: "Where are you going?"
Irisa: "Antarctica! Would send you a post card, but you already got one."
This dialog deserves big LOL. Famous post card...
Doc Yewll - Awesome facial expresion, no lines needed...
Mayor persona is weak in my opinion. Idealistic, naive, a dreamer... Not badly written, but poorly played. I don't think the actress believe in what she is saying. Which makes me not believing her either. Fake, always on smile doesn't help her. I guess character like that need alot of fire and charisma to perform well. At least she's good looking...
Others don't stand out. Except the Irathian "gang" leader(forgot the name). Possibly potential of being bad**s.

Waiting for more...

Dandrielas
04-14-2013, 05:36 PM
It wasn't bad. But i wasn't expecting anything amazing, so it was pleasant surprise.
Nolan and Irisa, both well played, convincing characters. Good thing they're leading us through the story then.
Mayor persona is weak in my opinion. Idealistic, naive, a dreamer... Not badly writen, bad poorly played. I don't think the actress believe in what she is saying. Which makes me not believing her either. I guess character like that need alot of fire and charisma to perform well. At least she's good looking...
Others don't stand out. Except the Irathian "gang" leader(forgot the name). Possibly potential of being bad**s.

Waiting for more...

You must either be a harsh critic, or I am just not picky when it comes to TV shows. I thought all of them did very well and were pretty strong characters. /shrug

Shinji Ex
04-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Amazon pulled it

Only the 15min version comes up now

Chainlynx
04-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Mayor persona is weak in my opinion. Idealistic, naive, a dreamer... Not badly writen, bad poorly played. I don't think the actress believe in what she is saying. Which makes me not believing her either. Fake, always on smile doesn't help her. I guess character like that need alot of fire and charisma to perform well. At least she's good looking...
Yeah, not a big fan of Julie Benz's acting either.

Stephanie Leonidas (Irisa) is pretty damn great though.

jonwes
04-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I thought Julie Benz was great as Mayor Rosewater. She has a quiet reserve about her. I thought she played the politician well. If she felt a bit "false"... then depending on the scene I think that was on purpose. She's new. She's eager. She's trying to prove herself. I bet that over time Amanda will settle into her role as Defiance's mayor and probably have her idealism tested. I'm mean, she's no Laura Roslin but few people can be. :)

If I had to pick one slight weak link so far it'd be the McCawley's. I thought they just felt a bit flat as actors. In that way, they felt like they were related! Hopefully as time goes on they'll develop better. I enjoyed the father's sense of humor, but I felt like his character in particular was a bit fuzzy. I guess they suffer a bit because they are the nice, upstanding family apparently. But Kenya, the Tarrs, and even some of the incidental characters (Ben, Bertie) were pretty vibrant, to me.

Dandrielas
04-14-2013, 05:49 PM
I thought Julie Benz was great as Mayor Rosewater. She has a quiet reserve about her. I thought she played the politician well. If she felt a bit "false"... then depending on the scene I think that was on purpose. She's new. She's eager. She's trying to prove herself. I bet that over time Amanda will settle into her role as Defiance's mayor and probably have her idealism tested. I'm mean, she's no Laura Roslin but few people can be. :)

If I had to pick one slight weak link so far it'd be the McCawley's. I thought they just felt a bit flat as actors. In that way they felt like they were related! But Kenya, the Tarrs, and even some of the incidental characters (Ben, Bertie) were pretty vibrant, to me.

I should really start remembering their names. Lolz I thought the McCawley's were pretty right on for their ancestry. I have known a couple Native Americans, and most of them weren't that vibrant with emotions when they talked.(Please note, I am not trying to be racist. I am just stating my observations.)

Maximus Prime
04-14-2013, 06:03 PM
I thought Julie Benz was great as Mayor Rosewater...

She's shooting the gun with eyes closed, for crying out loud!

:D

On a serious note... I hope you're right, and once they all start "clicking" with each other, we'll see some sparks flying.

IsoXVII
04-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Can someone link me the episode? i can only find the first 15 minutes on scyfy.

Dandrielas
04-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Can someone link me the episode? i can only find the first 15 minutes on scyfy.

Amazon made a boo-boo. They removed the full episode already.

THE CRAZZED
04-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Thats why I watched last night instead of playing cuz i figured they would take it down. I thought it was VERY GOOD!! It was about 5x better then I thought it was going to be!! But I tell ya what I want is that Sphere

Revrent
04-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know if the episodes will continue to be on Amazon and/or Amazon Prime. I have never been good at scheduling my TV time, I tend to get caught up in something else and only remember that a show was on 3 hours later.

rev,

jonwes
04-14-2013, 07:11 PM
She's shooting the gun with eyes closed, for crying out loud!

LOL - Well, I definitely don't think she's a trained soldier! I THINK they are starting her out as sort of tentative and unsure in order to put her through some character growth and harden/season her. That seems to be what they're setting up, at least.

Does anyone know if the episodes will continue to be on Amazon and/or Amazon Prime. I have never been good at scheduling my TV time, I tend to get caught up in something else and only remember that a show was on 3 hours later.

rev,

You can put in for a season pass, so I'd say so. Just doubt they'll be free.

S7YLEE
04-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Just watched the pilot episode of Defiance. Pretty good actually... I love the connections in game. i dont that was my bloody crystal he used that he steels from you in the game xD!!!

UglyCoyote
04-14-2013, 07:24 PM

what ?? she got one of the best lines of all characters... just look at the one in my signature... kind a make me think of rambo 3 ..."whats that ? blue light ! what does it do... it turnes blue"

Maximus Prime
04-14-2013, 07:31 PM
LOL - Well, I definitely don't think she's a trained soldier! I THINK they are starting her out as sort of tentative and unsure in order to put her through some character growth and harden/season her. That seems to be what they're setting up, at least.

Got ya. Without "twists" and "turns" like that, there won't be a good TV drama. Still think she's to "soft" for a mayor of postapocaliptic town(one of the few left on earth,) to begin with. Fits more in a mayor's wife role... It's obvious she needs "protection," that's where Nolan comes in...

Nice. Now you've spoiled the whole season for me... Thank you very much.

fishboy11
04-14-2013, 07:46 PM

i watched it and besides the cosmetic stuff like the characters races and vehicles it didnt make me think of the game at all, it just didnt feel anything like the game, i was pretty dissapointed.

jonwes
04-14-2013, 08:07 PM
i watched it and besides the cosmetic stuff like the characters races and vehicles it didnt make me think of the game at all, it just didnt feel anything like the game, i was pretty dissapointed.

Hmmm... that's interesting. What were you expecting to be more similar? The vehicles, the aliens, the tech, the architecture, the plants... they are all the same. It's a different kind of story because it doesn't follow Ark Hunters going around doing missions. But that's intentional. It's about the characters in one town. It's a shared universe with overlap in storytelling but they were never going to be the same kind of stories.

Dandrielas
04-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Hmmm... that's interesting. What were you expecting to be more similar? The vehicles, the aliens, the tech, the architecture, the plants... they are all the same. It's a different kind of story because it doesn't follow Ark Hunters going around doing missions. But that's intentional. It's about the characters in one town. It's a shared universe with overlap in storytelling but they were never going to be the same kind of stories.

I just hope it lasts as long as Farscape or longer.

jonwes
04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
That would be nice! Though Farscape ended far too soon, I'd be happy if it went a good five years. Well, based on the pilot. I guess I COULD hate the show by season's end. But it seems unlikely unless it all falls apart. :)

fishboy11
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM

it didnt make me think of the game at all, just didnt feel the same to me whatsoever, besides a few of the things looking the same thats as far as it went, they barely showed any tech and the weapons didnt look the same at all, most of the plants in the show were normal earth plants, the vehicles they showed looked like none in the game, they were either motorcycles or something that looked like a cross between a truck and the duni, the indogenes didnt even look like the one in the game

Lambchops
04-14-2013, 09:27 PM
I was very impressed by the pilot. Good dialogue, some nice subtle humor, good action sequences, fairly interesting and entertaining plot so far. The characters seem pretty well done so far, acting is not bad. Archetypal but what sci-fi series doesn't have that.

Also, I guess I didn't realize how much budget was behind this IP but the SFX in the show are actually quite good for a TV series. Sound design was good also.

So yeah. I'm feeling pretty good about the series so far.

Grimbane
04-14-2013, 09:27 PM
The episode was absolutely awesome! Also I can't wait to talk about it on the next podcast!

Neil
Arkcast.net
@thearkcast

Memphis
04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
If Amazon makes good on their pre-order offer, I should be getting $20 worth of episodes. We'll see if the pilot shows up in my library early Tuesday.

jonwes
04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
it didnt make me think of the game at all, just didnt feel the same to me whatsoever, besides a few of the things looking the same thats as far as it went, they barely showed any tech and the weapons didnt look the same at all, most of the plants in the show were normal earth plants, the vehicles they showed looked like none in the game, they were either motorcycles or something that looked like a cross between a truck and the duni, the indogenes didnt even look like the one in the game

Really? I thought the Indogenes look just the same!

http://cdn.defiance.com/defiance/images/game/environment/characters/erenniden.png
http://www.defiance.com/en/series/sites/defiance/files/styles/gallery_onecolumn_image/public/aliens_indogenes.jpg

There were also plenty of weird looking plants. You seem them the most when they are driving towards Defiance and before they enter Defiance. And here or there. I don't know if it's fair to expect FX shots in ever shot of a TV show. We didn't see a lot of vehicles in general, true, but don't the rollers count? And the Lawgiver car hasn't been shown yet. The Volge gun looked like the same universe to me, too. If you remember, part of the deal the E-Rep's were offering was to provide power cores for the town's Vot weapons. So it made me think that ammo isn't as free-wheelin' as it is in the game. But if you compare the architecture of the Castithan buildings like Shondu's house to Tarr's house I think you'll see a lot of the same look. The same with the ramshackle dwellings. I don't know, I thought the bond between them was very good, though each plays to the strengths of their particular media. In my view, anyway.

As for how the show will develop, I just found an article that seems to support what I think they are going for here:

"This is really a cannonball jump into craziness," Murphy says. "It's also like we made a deliberate choice to not explain too much, not to do a history lesson about how the world came to be, but we mention it. Because you know what? This is a show that you're going to enjoy, you don't need that much explanation because you're going to want to learn about it as it goes along. Its not like we don't know the answers."
To make sure the series isn't too foreign for viewers, Murphy based the characters on well-known archetypes. "It's something to kind of wrap your arms around. You may not understand ... what the big funny Chewbacca-looking thing is ... but you understand, oh, that's Vito Coroleone. That's Bill from Gangs of New York. You have recognizable archetypes and then over the course of the 13 hours we then start deconstructing those archetypes and complicating them," he says.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainment/tv/tvguide/article/Syfy-s-Defiance-Is-a-Cannonball-Jump-Into-4433880.php#ixzz2QVF8bpgf

Multigun
04-14-2013, 09:36 PM
[Removed post]

So you WANT the game and show to fail? Gotcha.....

You pirate watchers realize that Sci-Fi will have it available on their website the day after the show airs right? Unbelievable...

delon
04-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Mayor persona is weak in my opinion. Idealistic, naive, a dreamer... Not badly written, but poorly played. I don't think the actress believe in what she is saying. Which makes me not believing her either. Fake, always on smile doesn't help her. I guess character like that need alot of fire and charisma to perform well. At least she's good looking...

Waiting for more...

so the politician wasn't believable and had a fake smile, lol I guess she did a great job lol

Lambchops
04-14-2013, 09:40 PM
So you WANT the game and show to fail? Gotcha.....

You pirate watchers realize that Sci-Fi will have it available on their website the day after the show airs right? Unbelievable...

I watched it on Amazon when they had the full episode up, as did most people in this thread I think. Not exactly pirating, but yes. It's pretty lame to pirate it. I know I'm going to be running the pilot on Monday even if I don't intend to watch it just to do my part boosting the ratings. I want this show to succeed.

Multigun
04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
I watched it on Amazon when they had the full episode up, as did most people in this thread I think. Not exactly pirating, but yes. It's pretty lame to pirate it. I know I'm going to be running the pilot on Monday even if I don't intend to watch it just to do my part boosting the ratings. I want this show to succeed.

Yes I did as well. But like you said, I fully intend on watching the pilot again on Monday to help boost the raitings. It's even with the realm of possibility of me to play it in the background on mute on Sci-Fi's website just to help add a couple more hits lol.

Maximus Prime
04-14-2013, 10:14 PM
so the politician wasn't believable and had a fake smile, lol I guess she did a great job lol

When you put it like this... Yeah, i guess she did indeed.
Faking being fake. That deceiving *****! I hate her already...

rathb18
04-14-2013, 10:51 PM
It feels to soap opera for me, IDK ill give it a few ep but this show is really not what I expected. I think Terra Nova was better than this and look what happened to that show.

Grimbane
04-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Then pay Amazon a dollar or whatever it is per show and have yourself a high quality, ad free show to watch? Let me guess, you don't believe in Amazon because of x reason. OK, how about Hulu Plus. Oh wait, let me guess, you don't believe in Hulu Plus because of x reason also. I do find it funny that you don't believe in ad tracking and yet you visit pirate sites....I clearly will not convince you or any other Pirate that idiocy of it all, but at least I tried.

Agree totally, I'm a reformed pirate who now has Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus. These distributors are absolutely perfect for cord cutters like myself. I am happy to give my money every week to shows I love, Doctor Who, Defiance, Dexter, Game of Thrones(When its available) although I'll probably just buy it on Blu ray. I'm also not loaded but guess what, Netflix 8 dollars, Hulu 8 dollars, Amazon Prime is a once a year payment of around 70 dollars. That's 23-25 dollars a month for all these services. Any excuses a pirate uses to not want to pay for content boils down to one truth. They want it for free and could care less about who it hurts because in their mind lets face it what can 1 person really do to hurt the big corporation. The answer to that is probably nothing, your probably not hurting anybody, its called the right thing to do and stealing is and always will be wrong. So pirates need to quit making up excuses of "Ads are evil" and start understanding that Ads are how these shows survive. Without those ads you don't get to watch TV, or play an MMO because guess what there are ads for this MMO on TV right now bringing people into this world that had no idea yesterday it existed. So I say welcome to all those new people, welcome to Defiance.

P.S. The show was awesome. The end :*

Grimbane
04-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Where did I ever state I visit pirate sites? There are site that you can stream movies and tv shows and there not illegal you know why? Because in the US streaming movies even if there still in theaters or tv show is not illegal. Also for Amazon do you know how heavily DRM'd there stuff is? So no I don't use them anymore when I buy something I like to actually be able to use it not when its convenient for them. And I have never used hulu because why use them when I can stream from ad free, tracker free sites for free? That and Hulu never has stuff I watch so there's another reason.

EDIT: FYI just for fun I went to TPB and look no trackers\bugs detected so it looks like prate sites are cleaner than legit sites. Funny how that is.

This is an excuse, nothing more.

Maximus Prime
04-14-2013, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJGgS9wIJiI

Grimbane
04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJGgS9wIJiI

Hugs>< Thanks a lot Max, I just read your avatar and now I must have more rum! To the Freezer!

Multigun
04-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Agree totally, I'm a reformed pirate who now has Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus. These distributors are absolutely perfect for cord cutters like myself. I am happy to give my money every week to shows I love, Doctor Who, Defiance, Dexter, Game of Thrones(When its available) although I'll probably just buy it on Blu ray. I'm also not loaded but guess what, Netflix 8 dollars, Hulu 8 dollars, Amazon Prime is a once a year payment of around 70 dollars. That's 23-25 dollars a month for all these services. Any excuses a pirate uses to not want to pay for content boils down to one truth. They want it for free and could care less about who it hurts because in their mind lets face it what can 1 person really do to hurt the big corporation. The answer to that is probably nothing, your probably not hurting anybody, its called the right thing to do and stealing is and always will be wrong. So pirates need to quit making up excuses of "Ads are evil" and start understanding that Ads are how these shows survive. Without those ads you don't get to watch TV, or play an MMO because guess what there are ads for this MMO on TV right now bringing people into this world that had no idea yesterday it existed. So I say welcome to all those new people, welcome to Defiance.

P.S. The show was awesome. The end :*

THANK YOU.

P.S. I agree.

Derity
04-15-2013, 12:12 AM
I Love Irisa.

:o

JTheJackal
04-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Was better than I expected, actually. Will be sure to watch the next episode.

The mayor and her sister are tasty.

Grimbane
04-15-2013, 12:28 AM
I Love Irisa.

:o

I know right and shes pretty hot even with the forehead thing!

Opus
04-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Doc Yewell's by far my favorite so far. "Bed ... Rest. Good human." The rest are pretty solid as well. Was glad to see Irisa hug Nolan at the end. I can only deal with so much angsty/rebellious teen crap.

As for the mayor: It's about what I expected, since she started out cleaning the mayor's offices, and has only been in office a brief time. And as such, I'm sure by the season finale we'll see a mayor who's grown into her position. (Complete with some little monologue by another character telling her exactly this. Maybe even something along the lines of how she'd hoped one day to be as good as her predecessor (who we know isn't a saint) and someone will come back with a, but no, Amanda, you're better than she is. Big hug, roll credits.

TovarishGaming
04-15-2013, 12:42 AM
I gotta hand it to Trion and all the other companies that have worked to pull this thing off. Honestly with something this big and lofty, I was impressed. It can be very hard to not just piss off the gaming community with little stuff. This whole idea had a HUGE chance of just flopping right off the bat, if the game, the show, or how the two flowed together, wasn't at least above average.

Barring the way Nolan was acting out driving in the first seen (lol, arms all over the place), the show really impressed me. I was worried about how the budget on this thing might work out, and if they'd be able to realize the same "in-game" epicness you have in the MMO. They pulled it off though in my opinion. This game was very much a make-or-break quick thing for me, because I don't have a lot of time to invest in an MMO, but I have to say, this new concept could be the next way to get someone like me to keep coming back. If the show and the game stay on a good path, that compliments both sides without being too copy/paste (which so far, they've walked that line very well), then this could be the next style of MMO that gets me hooked. I love really good television, and get very invested in the stories of good TV shows. Combine that with the fact that when the show is over, I can go PLAY IT? That's pretty rad. There's still work to be done in both forms of the media, but if they can keep up the pace they've set for themselves, I see a very successful franchise.

It was really really f'in cool to be playing the MMO on my left monitor, and watching the show on my right. Though I wasn't really playing because the show was awesome ;)

jonwes
04-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Doc Yewell's by far my favorite so far. "Bed ... Rest. Good human."

She definitely got all the good lines.

Blackwolfe
04-15-2013, 05:30 AM
I noticed three things that mentioned the game or came from the game so far. 1. Amanda mentioning Ara Shondu. 2. In the speech before the attack, Amanda mentions the 99ers. 3. For those of us that have done the episode missions (I think the majority of people have done them so far), the crystal that Nolan uses to get hold of the Terra Sphere (which we got to see already in the 14 minute preview), is the one we help him aquire on the third episode mission (which of course he runs away with, and then again in the fourth when he tricked us).

Also, as I suspected, Irisa isn't as cold hearted as she seems. She really did a turnabout at the end of the pilot.. as was to be expected in one way or another.

Kenya does seem to sleep with anyone with the right scrip (even filthy gulanite miners.. if they shave, take a shower and put on a nice shirt).

Also the end opens up for alot of interesting things in the coming episodes, can't wait for next week! Need more awesome now! Hopefully the patch will keep us busy until then :)

As for arkfalls, I think the one in the show was a pretty rare one. Most arkfalls probably are like the ones we see in the game, mostly junk but sometimes valuables can be found. Entire ships? We might see that in the future, but it's gonna be really rare or tied to a mission.

Evilution
04-15-2013, 05:48 AM
I noticed three things that mentioned the game or came from the game so far. 1. Amanda mentioning Ara Shondu. 2. In the speech before the attack, Amanda mentions the 99ers. 3. For those of us that have done the episode missions (I think the majority of people have done them so far), the crystal that Nolan uses to get hold of the Terra Sphere (which we got to see already in the 14 minute preview), is the one we help him aquire on the third episode mission (which of course he runs away with, and then again in the fourth when he tricked us).

Also, as I suspected, Irisa isn't as cold hearted as she seems. She really did a turnabout at the end of the pilot.. as was to be expected in one way or another.

Kenya does seem to sleep with anyone with the right scrip (even filthy gulanite miners.. if they shave, take a shower and put on a nice shirt).

Also the end opens up for alot of interesting things in the coming episodes, can't wait for next week! Need more awesome now! Hopefully the patch will keep us busy until then :)

As for arkfalls, I think the one in the show was a pretty rare one. Most arkfalls probably are like the ones we see in the game, mostly junk but sometimes valuables can be found. Entire ships? We might see that in the future, but it's gonna be really rare or tied to a mission.
Yeah, I noticed all them things too, especially the crystal at the start. I thought that was a good tie-in to the show, basically we in some sort of way helped with the defence of Defiance by acquiring that in the first place :p

jonwes
04-15-2013, 06:59 AM
I noticed three things that mentioned the game or came from the game so far. 1. Amanda mentioning Ara Shondu.

Wondering if that's going to be the thing that carries over into the game? The project they were working on?

ih8tnubs
04-15-2013, 08:34 AM
didn't really have high hopes for the show untill reading this thread im just downloading it now so we will find out in 46mins if its good if anyone knows a fast torrent or something PM me for some reason this was not on RLS log

Blackwolfe
04-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Wondering if that's going to be the thing that carries over into the game? The project they were working on?

Possibly, or it might just be something she said to stall her assistant. I think we'll have more tie-ins to the game though, and of course due to episode missions and other show related content see alot more tie-ins. Having played the game before seeing the pilot definitely added to my excitement when watching it. You really get more value for both if you play/watch both in my opinion.

Vinotaur0
04-15-2013, 08:45 AM
I like the show other than a few of the characters...and you'll know what I'm talking about when you see them.

1.) Mr. Miyagi (terrible acting & dialog makes him cringe worthy)
2.) UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jone's 90lb younger brother (looks like he's never been in front of a camera before)
3.) The emo alien

I hope these three die off.

Nolan, Irisa, hooker lady and the mayor are awesome though.

jonwes
04-15-2013, 08:50 AM
You really get more value for both if you play/watch both in my opinion.

Agreed! Definitely not necessary from what we've seen so far, but it is a lot of fun.

I like the show other than a few of the characters...and you'll know what I'm talking about when you see them.

1.) Mr. Miyagi (terrible acting & dialog makes him cringe worthy)
2.) UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jone's 90lb younger brother (looks like he's never been in front of a camera before)
3.) The emo alien

I hope these three die off.

Nolan, Irisa, hooker lady and the mayor are awesome though.

I actually don't know who you're talking about in any of those three. LOL. I probably don't disagree with you (some actors were better than others) but I'm not sure which were which. Is emo alien Tarr's son? Not sure I want them to die off... but some of the performances will hopefully improve as the show goes on.

Vinotaur0
04-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Agreed! Definitely not necessary from what we've seen so far, but it is a lot of fun.

I actually don't know who you're talking about in any of those three. LOL. I probably don't disagree with you (some actors were better than others) but I'm not sure which were which. Is emo alien Tarr's son? Not sure I want them to die off... but some of the performances will hopefully improve as the show goes on.

I'm referring to Tarr's son, the black deputy and the father of the kid that got shot by the alien assistant.

Blackwolfe
04-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Nah, those 3 were fine. Their acting was perfect for their characters.

The acting of the guy playing the old man was nicely done. He really tries to be the silent tough guy dad but let's his emotions get the better of him.

The deputies assistant is young and inexperienced, not really comfortable in his role as the new (temporary) role of deputy).

Alec tarr, acts pretty much like you'd expect from an emo teenager that wants to be the tough guy in front of his friends. But he's got a soft spot even though he seems rather arrogant (much like his father). Besides he is casthitian, who often consider themselves as better than other races (especially humans).

I'm thinking, castithians seem to have a patriarchal society but it really seems that it's the women that hold the true power.

jonwes
04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm referring to Tarr's son, the black deputy and the father of the kid that got shot by the alien assistant.

I liked Tarr's son. He's a snot-nosed punk and he played the character well. I like how he played the reaction to Luke's death. I could see some potential there. The whole thing with Alac (that's his name) romancing Christie McCawley was one of the weaker parts for me. I enjoyed some scenes, but I wasn't sure I was feeling the chemistry there yet. I actually think that whole subplot with the Tarr's scheming to take the mine could have been pulled out and come to a head later after we'd seen Christie and Alac together more.

I said it before, but I found the McCawley's as a whole a bit bland at the moment, and I think that's partly because they seem so nice and upstanding. Hopefully we'll get to see more of that family dynamic and it'll make them more interesting. My favorite part of their scenes was Bertie, their housemaid or whatever she is. I don't disagree about the dad. I thought his comic timing was pretty good in sparring with Datak, but when he had to get angry with Quentin to tell him what he knew about Luke's death, I wasn't too convinced.

As for the deputy, I really liked him. I thought he had one of the better lines of the show ("What is wrong with you?") and I liked the friendship that seemed to be forming between him and Irisa.

Kitsunami
04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Sigh.

And once again, the uk gets gipped.

I own netflix, i looked into hulu and amazon prime. All of them wont be carrying defiance.

Syfy has it but thats not available in my area at all, and i cant find any way to get it either.

Anybody want to help me out here? :/

I am not interested in piracy. I just want to watch defiance, its sickening that american versions of netflix and so on have so much more to them and extras for less price than the uk.

My life for a syfy thing like the bbciplayer!

Opus
04-15-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm thinking, castithians seem to have a patriarchal society but it really seems that it's the women that hold the true power.

Honestly, I think it's more Stahma's personality/ambition than it being a Castithian thing. If you noticed, she also still presented it very passively. Almost a suggestion rather than a mandate.

fishboy11
04-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Sigh.

I own netflix, i looked into hulu and amazon prime. All of them wont be carrying defiance.

Syfy has it but thats not available in my area at all, and i cant find any way to get it either.

I am not interested in piracy. I just want to watch defiance, its sickening that american versions of netflix and so on have so much more to them and extras for less price than the uk.

you have no legal way of watching it, there are some grey areas, you could try using a US vpn to watch it from the syfy website

jonwes
04-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Is the UK Syfy site not going to have full episodes online too? It seems like it might with other shows?

ih8tnubs
04-15-2013, 10:04 AM
omg just skipped through the episode to see if its legit, is this really good it looks really ****ty and low budget

Jack Nova
04-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Sigh.

You could setup a US itunes account and buy the series with a US gift card. You'll be able to watch the series in the UK that way

Sanguinesun
04-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Sigh.

Google mediahint app for google's chrome browser. Get it. And when its posted on the US SyFy channel watch with no issues. Dont need to use a vpn but that's also another alternative past the tons of streams already on the net of it atm.

dalendria
04-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Mayor persona is weak in my opinion. Idealistic, naive, a dreamer...

I think the actress is doing a great job. That is the character of the new mayor - idealistic, lacking in confidence, uncertain of herself and her ability to lead/inspire. If you picked that up, it means she is playing the role quite well.

Maximus Prime
04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
I think the actress is doing a great job. That is the character of the new mayor - idealistic, lacking in confidence, uncertain of herself and her ability to lead/inspire. If you picked that up, it means she is playing the role quite well.

If her intentions were to led me, to believe she is lacking. Then that's an success. Played me like a fool...

jonwes
04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
omg just skipped through the episode to see if its legit, is this really good it looks really ****ty and low budget

Serious? Make sure you watch it in HD. I thought it looked amazing for a TV show. Remember, this isn't a movie with the same budget. All 12 episodes have, like, $50 million to spend.

jonwes
04-15-2013, 11:37 AM
no the show looks worse in HD just finished watching

Well... can't do anything for you, then. LOL. I thought it was great. Did the CGI look ultra-realistic? Not really, but I thought it worked well with the way it was integrated. I tend to scale my expectations down for TV shows though. Battlestar Galactica was the same. It's effects were pretty CGI-rrific, but I thought they were well done. Same for Doctor Who. But to me the SFX are just there to tell the story. I don't need them to be perfect.

Tiani
04-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Sigh.

defiance is on syfy uk tomorrow (16th) at 9pm. im pretty sure it will be on uk website after its aired

iCanHazHeadSh0t
04-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Hopefully the acting is better in the show than it is in the game.

FinnishPenguin
04-15-2013, 12:24 PM
no the show looks worse in HD just finished watching
The HD version hasn't even aired yet, so how have you been able to watch it? All the rips are from Amazon and it's not 1080p.

Caios
04-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Sigh.

I remember during the London Olympics a lot of us here in the States were beyond annoyed with the crap coverage of events we were getting from NBC, and because BBC doesn't allow their online streams to be shown on this side of the Atlantic (BBC America or ****) a lot of people got creative. Lots of folks setup VPN's to UK based servers to stream BBC's coverage directly. (Including my boss by the way.)

I imagine our fellow UK Defiance fans could always try that in reverse. :)

jonwes
04-15-2013, 01:37 PM
And, as has been said, it's almost certainly going to be on Syfy's UK site after it airs there tomorrow.

TH3STEVE
04-15-2013, 02:02 PM

Awesome! I was hoping the connections would be there in the first episode. I can't wait for it to air tonight!

jonwes
04-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Awesome! I was hoping the connections would be there in the first episode. I can't wait for it to air tonight!

Seeing the new pursuits, the game is picking up stuff from the first episode I didn't even think they would! Pretty awesome.

jonwes
04-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Hey - Maureen Ryan likes Defiance! (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-ryan/defiance-review_b_3082390.html)

Shawnchapp
04-15-2013, 02:31 PM

Doesn't make a difference if you watch it online or live on the TV only people with that little magical box contribute to the ratings... you know the 5% of the people who own tv's counts for rating silly rating system is silly.

jonwes
04-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Doesn't make a difference if you watch it online or live on the TV only people with that little magical box contribute to the ratings... you know the 5% of the people who own tv's counts for rating silly rating system is silly.

Oh, yeah - Nielsen's in an outdated train wreck, true. It's more out of solidarity. LOL.

Still better for people to watch it through SyFy online (or Hulu, or some other tracked source) rather than illegally, however. They can look at high counts on their own videos online, too.

AgentMytho
04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Were those Bulwarks in that episode or some other mech unit?

Some of the CGI was just amazing (Volge), while other CGI was horrible and unnecessary (the car chase).
Some of the practical effects/prostetics need work, the Irathient looked great, but the Indogene look low budget (probably because it was a mask vs prostetcis).

I thought Nolan was great, in the han solo, captain mal tradition.
Irisa, was pretty good, although I really liked her in the Game Episode missions, where she was much quieter and more fiesty. My favorite lines are still "No it's not, we're all going to die" and "I want to hit you, hard".

It's funny from the game you only see a few plot-centric aliens, but in the show they are everywhere (I guess it is just a population issue in general). Although I still didn't explain why they came to earth (over hundreds of years), and why they felt the need to terraphorm it when it is already perfectly suitable to all the voltan races (unless the goal was to eliminate the current population).

jonwes
04-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Some of the CGI was just amazing (Volge), while other CGI was horrible and unnecessary (the car chase).

I was confused about what was practical and what was CGI in the car chase. I thought some of it looked CGI, but some of of it was definitely practical because they had two working, actual-sized vehicles.

Some of the practical effects/prostetics need work, the Irathient looked great, but the Indogene look low budget (probably because it was a mask vs prostetcis).

I thought the Indogene were okay, but if the show is a success I do hope they will refine the make-up, at least for Doc Yewll. I agree that there was a certain flatness to them that could be improved if it wasn't just a big head piece. I'm sure some of that is cost/time savings because of all the makeups they do.

Although I still didn't explain why they came to earth (over hundreds of years), and why they felt the need to terraphorm it when it is already perfectly suitable to all the voltan races (unless the goal was to eliminate the current population).

I know they are going to slowly develop this in-show, but they only came to earth in 2013, and the series is set in 2046. So it's only been a few decades since they arrived. The 100 years mention in the pilot was how long they were in cryo on their way to Earth, unless that's what you meant? I assumed that was because Earth was the closest to their home system. Also, from what I understand the terraforming wasn't intentional, but was a result of the mysterious destruction of the arks.

Myst
04-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Still got a bit of time to go for me. Got the beer and pizza just waiting for the show!

jonwes
04-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Only an hour to go before the official launch!

jonwes
04-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Grant Bowler is live tweeting on SyFy's twitter tonight!:
https://twitter.com/Syfy

Smitch
04-15-2013, 06:02 PM
It's funny from the game you only see a few plot-centric aliens, but in the show they are everywhere (I guess it is just a population issue in general). Although I still didn't explain why they came to earth (over hundreds of years), and why they felt the need to terraphorm it when it is already perfectly suitable to all the voltan races (unless the goal was to eliminate the current population).

Their home system (a binary star system) was wiped out in a stellar collision. Something REALLY BIG (I believe a wandering star) hit Sulos and cookie fried the whole system. Their travel time was approx 5 thousand years. The terraformers were to convert what they though was a primordial Earth into a recreations of the Votan worlds. As far as we know, they were NOT deliberately set off. They crashed to Earth during the Arkfall event when the Votan Arks exploded for an unknown reason part way through the war. Many of them fired off automatically with no pre-programmed control and ran wild. They messed up the Votan on Earth just as much as the humans.

jonwes
04-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Holy backstory, I didn't know all of that. Guess I missed whatever tie-in media that was on. LOL. I had heard the deployment of the terraformers were accidental though, right?

jonwes
04-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Hey, maybe we can use this for more thorough reviews instead of everyone making their own thread? For once? Huh? :D

Dandrielas
04-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey, maybe we can use this for more thorough reviews instead of everyone making their own thread? For once? Huh? :D

But law and order are my enemies though...

jonwes
04-15-2013, 08:12 PM
But law and order are my enemies though...

All right... fair enough. LOL.

Remag Div
04-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I give it a 6/10

I agree with rathb18 in too much of the soap opera vibe. Pretty archetypal characters, some things feel forced, and some of the CGI was cringe-worthy (the car chase scene looked like a poorly made video game). Not all is bad, though. I like Nolan and Irisa, they saved the episode for me.

I'll definitely keep watching though, it might just have a slow start but develop into a good show.