PDA

View Full Version : Cross platform gameplay in the future?

rennagade
03-13-2013, 02:18 PM
As the title states, will there be cross platform play in the future? I know the game isn't going to be released with it, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me the chances of seeing it later on.
This is due to me preferring to get it for the pc, but my friends are going with xbox(only a few own PCs capable of playing the game but even those people are going with xbox), and I would like to be able to play with them. The point is I would get it for the PC and wait a few months to be able to demolish my friends(or team up with) if we are looking at future cross platform play, but if we aren't I'd rather go with an xbox copy of the game in order to be in the same server as them.

I'm sure this has been posted and discussed a thousand times over, but I appreciate a response here.

suicd3grunt
03-13-2013, 02:19 PM
As the title states, will there be cross platform play in the future? I know the game isn't going to be released with it, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me the chances of seeing it later on.
This is due to me preferring to get it for the pc, but my friends are going with xbox(only a few own PCs capable of playing the game but even those people are going with xbox), and I would like to be able to play with them. The point is I would get it for the PC and wait a few months to be able to demolish my friends(or team up with) if we are looking at future cross platform play, but if we aren't I'd rather go with an xbox copy of the game in order to be in the same server as them.

I'm sure this has been posted and discussed a thousand times over, but I appreciate a response here.

Honestly, Since MS and Sony practically hate each other, I doubt it.

smokiebr
03-13-2013, 02:19 PM

microsoft will not allow it sorry

GT3000
03-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Microsoft has been advocate of Cross-Platform (between PC and Xbox) for sometime now. Games for Windows Live was (and is) the very embodiment of Cross-Platform development integration. Several games have touted that title and failed for a few different reasons. Shadowrun, Universe at War, and Lost Planet: Colonies all did the Xbox-PC connection and Lost Planet even did it well. The problem is that from a developer's prespective it's very difficult to implement. If there's an issue with First-Party manufacturers not playing nice with the issue of Cross-Platform, it's Sony not Microsoft.

They could but the benefits barely outweigh the problems if at all. Typically if falls into a few things.

-Testing cross-platform applications may be considerably more complicated, since different platforms can exhibit slightly different behaviors or subtle bugs. This problem has led some developers to deride cross-platform development as "Write Once, Debug Everywhere", a take on Sun’s "Write once, run anywhere" marketing slogan.

-Developers are often restricted to using the lowest common denominator subset of features which are available on all platforms. This may hinder the application's performance or prohibit developers from using platforms’ most advanced features.

-Scripting languages and virtual machines must be translated into native executable code each time the application is executed, imposing a performance penalty. This penalty can be alleviated using advanced techniques like just-in-time compilation; but even using such techniques, some computational overhead may be unavoidable.

-Different platforms require the use of native package formats such as RPM and MSI. Multi-platform installers such as InstallAnywhere, JExpress, InstallBuilder, or IzPack address this need.

-Cross-platform execution environments may suffer cross-platform security flaws, creating a fertile environment for cross-platform malware.

TL;DR

No, it will not be implemented if it hasn't already.

Zammwich
03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
If its not getting launched with it then most likely it will never happen.

rennagade
03-13-2013, 02:32 PM
well thanks for the quick replies... guess I'll go with xbox

Valethar
03-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Oddly enough, I thought one of the Devs mentioned it would work, if not for MS and Sony both refusing to certify it, claiming 'quality of life' issues or some such nonsense.

Translation: Those two will never allow it, because they can't figure out a way to milk the other platforms involved for XBL and PSN memberships.

Defy
03-13-2013, 04:18 PM
wont happen because sony and MS wont allow it

Gearbox also tried with Borderland 2 but was unsuccessful.

Read here:
Gearbox Wanted Cross-Platform Play For Borderlands 2 (http://www.gameshampoo.com/magazine/articles/1010/gearbox-wanted-cross-platform-play-for-borderlands-2.html)

Sledgehammer70
03-13-2013, 04:21 PM
No, Defiance will not support cross platform play.

ExPresident
03-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Microsoft has been advocate of Cross-Platform (between PC and Xbox) for sometime now. Games for Windows Live was (and is) the very embodiment of Cross-Platform development integration. Several games have touted that title and failed for a few different reasons. Shadowrun, Universe at War, and Lost Planet: Colonies all did the Xbox-PC connection and Lost Planet even did it well. The problem is that from a developer's prespective it's very difficult to implement. If there's an issue with First-Party manufacturers not playing nice with the issue of Cross-Platform, it's Sony not Microsoft.

I would disagree with the issue being Sony's problem primarily. From an MMO on console standpoint Sony has been much more open with having them on the PS3 than Microsoft has been with having them on the 360 and thats clearly evident by the titles available for each console. Sony is currently allowing CCP to link Dust 514 (PS3 console exclusive) directly to the PC exclusive Eve Online counterpart. So to say the issue lies with Sony wouldn't be accurate.

I would however agree that neither Microsoft nor Sony has a complete desire to connect their networks to each other.

Radz
03-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I would disagree with the issue being Sony's problem primarily. From an MMO on console standpoint Sony has been much more open with having them on the PS3 than Microsoft has been with having them on the 360 and thats clearly evident by the titles available for each console. Sony is currently allowing CCP to link Dust 514 (PS3 console exclusive) directly to the PC exclusive Eve Online counterpart. So to say the issue lies with Sony wouldn't be accurate.

I would however agree that neither Microsoft nor Sony has a complete desire to connect their networks to each other.

Dust 514 is not a good example since it is essentially two games who interact on an almost negligible way. Look at DC Universe Online. It's the same game, but it's not cross-platform.

I'm not saying it is one or the others fault, but Sony hasn't exactly been open to cross-platform play.

Kleptobrainiac
03-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Cross platform gameplay in the future?

Yes please!

thejx4
03-13-2013, 07:48 PM
How come when people say "cross platform" all you guys ever think of is Xbox/PS3.

PS3 to PC is possible, as is 360 to PC. Hell, the new Phantasy Star is PC/PS Vita.
Besides the whole microsoft thing, some people claim it's because of kb/m versus a controller. Well, why not just allow it for co-op?

Rarodil
03-13-2013, 07:55 PM
I believe the philosophy was all or none. Since they were incapable of doing all for reasons they could not control, they chose none.

Paladin_Rex
03-13-2013, 07:59 PM
They've clearly said in a few interviews it started off as a working cross platform model but where forced to ax it due to troubles with sony and or microsoft. There is no reason why it can't be implimented later on if all parties involve see a gain and desire to do so. that being said.. seems like a slim to none chance to me. Shame was looking forward to playing it with some friends who own only one of the platforms was one of the major reasons that drew us all to the game to begin with finally being able to play a game together without the fuss over what system to get it on or the old "well if you had gotten #### over ####" bullship.. meh so be it.

I still plan on enjoying the game!

MadMacs72
03-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Dust 514 is not a good example since it is essentially two games who interact on an almost negligible way. Look at DC Universe Online. It's the same game, but it's not cross-platform.

I'm not saying it is one or the others fault, but Sony hasn't exactly been open to cross-platform play.

Actually Sony has been open with Steam. You can co-op Portal 2 on a PS3 with a Steam PC user. They just don't want PS3/360 cross-platform play.

Defy
03-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Actually Sony has been open with Steam. You can co-op Portal 2 on a PS3 with a Steam PC user. They just don't want PS3/360 cross-platform play.

well if so I dont think its worth it for Trion to work on cross platform that will only function between ps3 and pc

I'd rather they work on content updates, etc