PDA

View Full Version : Rollers are king. What is the niche of runners?

Kriegson
04-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Rollers are faster than runners, more durable and deal more damage when hitting someone.
Runners can spin in the air and turn on a dime, though the duni (SP, dune buggy) is just as agile on the ground.

So what is the niche of the runner? Unless the stats for the vehicles are incorrect, they are inferior in virtually every way.

alienoid
04-15-2013, 06:40 AM
They just look cool and you can see your character, not a brick on wheels ?

DeMoted
04-15-2013, 06:45 AM
They just look cool and you can see your character, not a brick on wheels ?

Your game is messed up if you see a brick.

DustOfDeath
04-15-2013, 06:53 AM
smaller and more manuverable - tho they should have more boost duration -_-

Sanguinesun
04-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Smaller and render your character more visibly. They're more apt to be able to do the 1080p achievement as well though any vehicle can.

Nucleotides
04-15-2013, 06:57 AM
They are easier to get on and off?

Dagbiker
04-15-2013, 06:59 AM
I like ATV's I have found a great place at the Muir Station to do stunts.

Jack Johnson
04-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Runners can be driven in PvP. Rollers cannot. There's the niche.

DeMoted
04-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Runners can be driven in PvP. Rollers cannot. There's the niche.

That isn't the niche since you are forced in PvP.

Taaltos
04-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Rollers are a blast. Even though I have the Pursuit, I love doing the spins! xD

Rhorge
04-15-2013, 07:04 AM
Because Dodge is loud as f***. Also runners go up hills much easier.

DeMoted
04-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Actually Dodge can go up hills that runners can't go up. Just have to know how to drive the Hemi.

dirtyklingon
04-15-2013, 07:06 AM

this and runners are better offroad in general and less likely to get hung up on geomotry.

Evilution
04-15-2013, 07:06 AM
They get through roadblocks easier, boosts regen faster I think, more agile and easier to turn at high speeds imo and I find I dismount quicker with them.

Also the Dodge sounds horrible imo, but still like cruising around in my white one as it's hardly used by anyone atm :p

dirtyklingon
04-15-2013, 07:07 AM
runners are also faster when boosting than the dodge at least. not sure about the denus.

Tango80
04-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Rollers can be either single occupant or dual occupant. Runners only single. Hoping for a Roller that holds 4 people. Like the idea of the Cerberus but would like to see one with 4 person passenger load.

Hoping for an APC.

Lambchops
04-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Runners are much easier to maneuver, get more out of boosting, and tend to fair better offroad. They are also badass. Even if they didn't have some advantages/tradeoffs, them being badass should be enough for anybody.

DeMoted
04-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Everything you are all talking about is all about the player. I can dodge just as good with the Hemi as with the runner. Hemi's are better on hills and are faster all around. You just have to know how to drive it.

Lambchops
04-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Everything you are all talking about is all about the player. I can dodge just as good with the Hemi as with the runner. Hemi's are better on hills and are faster all around. You just have to know how to drive it.

Is it as badass as the Runner, though? That's the question we should be asking.

DeMoted
04-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Is it as badass as the Runner, though? That's the question we should be asking.

It is a different kind of badass.

Evilution
04-15-2013, 07:23 AM
It is a different kind of badass.Would be if it didn't sound so horrible :(

Lambchops
04-15-2013, 07:24 AM
It is a different kind of badass.

Seems fine to me then, yeah? Different strokes for different folks. Some people like driving the Runner more, some people like driving the Roller more. Seems like a pretty good situation to me.

It doesn't matter all that much if one is statistically superior or not, if you'll allow me to be serious for a second. I think what matters is if both are fun to drive and fill their role as transportation well, and also drive differently enough to add some variety and options for people. I'd say for the most part those goals have been met.

On a slightly related note, I'd love to see more vehicles added to the game. Dirt bikes, anyone?

Jitterbug
04-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Hell yeah, motorcycles in general would be awesome.

Hawkler
04-15-2013, 07:32 AM
I prefer the dune buggy. But the quad runners are a blast too.

Taaltos
04-15-2013, 07:32 AM
I prefer the dune buggy. But the quad runners are a blast too.

Love my Pink Duni. xD

Evilution
04-15-2013, 07:33 AM
+1 on Dirt bikes

Would be funny seeing a pink dirt bike with a large male Sensoth driving it :p

MstrJedi_Kyle
04-15-2013, 07:34 AM
I think its called "having options" people don't always use what's best, they use what they like. More options is always a good thing.

Rhorge
04-15-2013, 07:35 AM
+1 on Dirt bikes

So. Much. This.

cfStatic
04-15-2013, 07:36 AM
this and runners are better offroad in general and less likely to get hung up on geomotry.

I've had the opposite experience. The Dodge/Duni will roll over anything while my runners get caught on every little rock or spec of dust that happens to be in the way. It's quite frustrating actually.

Evilution
04-15-2013, 07:37 AM
So. Much. This.I think I would actually make an alt just to do it lol

Talon Swiftshot
04-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Runners own San Fran, that's for sure.

DeMoted
04-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Runners own San Fran, that's for sure.

My Hemi says different.

DeMoted
04-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Seems fine to me then, yeah? Different strokes for different folks. Some people like driving the Runner more, some people like driving the Roller more. Seems like a pretty good situation to me.

It doesn't matter all that much if one is statistically superior or not, if you'll allow me to be serious for a second. I think what matters is if both are fun to drive and fill their role as transportation well, and also drive differently enough to add some variety and options for people. I'd say for the most part those goals have been met.

On a slightly related note, I'd love to see more vehicles added to the game. Dirt bikes, anyone?

Just don't want people to lie about one vehicle to make there own seem better. Saying runner are better at things is a lie since it is all about the person driving it.

Talon Swiftshot
04-15-2013, 07:48 AM
My Hemi says different.

Reported for modding.

Kriegson
04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Honestly I can squeeze through the same obstructions in my buggy that I can in my quad, and have all the speed, boost, and ramming capability to boot (Along with 2 seats, amazingly. Had no idea it could seat 2 until I get into the passenger side by accident).

Badassery? Maybe, if we had motorcycles. Everyone's requesting them so I'm sure we will at some point.

Scyris
04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Personally I think they should just give all vechicles the same stats, so its more of a looks choice insted of a functionality choice. I like my ATV better than my Charger, but the charger is noticably faster.

Lambchops
04-15-2013, 08:15 AM
+1 on Dirt bikes

yes. yes it would.

Evilution
04-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Personally I think they should just give all vechicles the same stats, so its more of a looks choice insted of a functionality choice. I like my ATV better than my Charger, but the charger is noticably faster.But that would give smaller vehicles the most advantage, as they can fit through the roadblocks easier than larger ones.

DeMoted
04-15-2013, 08:22 AM
But that would give smaller vehicles the most advantage, as they can fit through the roadblocks easier than larger ones.

Actually the Hemi fits just as good through road blocks. Maneuvers better tighter turns.

BraveDude8
04-15-2013, 08:33 AM
You actually get into runners, unlike rollers. I think they should have a boost to climbing, if anything.

Lyokira
04-15-2013, 08:38 AM
But that would give smaller vehicles the most advantage, as they can fit through the roadblocks easier than larger ones.

Other than that said smaller vehicles have lower top speed.

Hanakawa
04-15-2013, 08:42 AM
They have much faster handling over rough terrain. I tend to not drive on roads and found runners WAY better for off road travel.

Nicc0
04-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Hell yeah, motorcycles in general would be awesome.
Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPjWrDmsZ0
Also would be great in the future having some regions focused on vehicle combat(mob on vehicles)sort of Mad Max style.
I'd like two slot for spawn vehicles,to be more adaptable at the situations.

Evilution
04-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Other than that said smaller vehicles have lower top speed.yeah, but the person said they would like all stats the same, so if all were the same, smaller vehicles would have the advantage of fitting through tighter spaces.

Jeff Kaos
04-15-2013, 10:10 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned or even if it makes a difference (no way to really know since in-game documentation is as bare bones as it can be) I drive a runner because it levels up my runner skill and almost evey race challenge I've done uses 4 wheelers and so I assume that the higher my runner level the faster my race time will be.

Kerry
04-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Runners are far more agile and happen to be my personal preference.

RoG Goat
04-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Depends on what I'm in the mood for,
If I want to get to my destination as fast as possible... I'll use a roller.

If I want to waste time climbing over mountains instead of using the provided roads... I'll use a runner.

Bacon
04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Since I'm spending more time in San Francisco I've been using my runner more often. While it handles about the same the runner also can climb terrain easier when combined with boost. A roller can't always get up the same terrain (maybe the duni shertu haven't tried it) that a runner can in my experience.

If I'm on the mainland I usually just use the hemi roller (it has slightly better stats in one category then the high performance pre-order).

Ryaad
04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Om paper rollers are faster and runners are better off-road. In-game this isn't necessarily true and thus rollers are currently better all around (most of the time anyways) but that doesn't mean that fact is set in stone....

Opus
04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
For me, runners are just more fun to drive. I typically like to explore all the nooks and crannies of the landscape, and it feels like runners are more suited to this task. If I'm just driving from point A to point B via main roads, I'll take a Duni. (Funny enough, I ordered the UE and got a red challenger, but I just can't warm up to it.)

Murzin
04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
as has been said...

ATVs are used in PvP, and the time trials are all ATVs.

if you level up your ATVs it makes the time trials easier even if you dont PvP

ExpiredLifetime
04-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Like others have said, the Runners lose less speed going over uneven terrain. They're better for trailblazing than the Rollers are, since you can tilt the Runner midair to land perfectly on the back side of a hill and continue flying.

Orbital
04-15-2013, 12:08 PM
once you max out rollers, switch to runners to avoid rolling over back to level 1 rollers again? nah but runners do have better mobility in tighter areas sometimes.

Lord Marshal
04-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Runners don't care what side of the vehicle you get on it from.