PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Defiance 2 weeks in...

LALLY
04-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Last night was the first time since Defiance was released that I thought 'ah im a bit bored', I looked through my games and played counter strike GO for a couple hours....first time in a LONG time ive played that game. All games become boring after a while and that's not a criticism, I think I have just over played it a bit, its only natural. saying that it got me thinking about how I feel about Defiance in general 2 weeks in. Generally, I really like the game, its a lot of fun, it gets the basic feature that any game needs right, good gameplay, that's what matters most, for a shooter, it is fun to shoot stuff. But heres a few disapointments I have had so far with the game...

- I was excited about playing an MMO on xbox but this does not feel like an MMO (I know we have heard this a million times now). I know people might say, but there is a massive amount of people playing online together so technically it is, correct, but people don't play MMOS just to see other people running about, people play MMOS for the social experience, and this game lacks it badly, a constant text box would some what solve this, just so people can see if some one writes a message, messages disappear within seconds and people in a menu miss it and then just carry on not realising some one said something...I know trion are fixing this, so im looking forward to that.

- Exploration
I was looking forward to exploring the world of defiance but so far have not seen any need to, there is nothing interesting to explore, look at or read, you would think a world after a major war would contain more refrences to it, posters, maybe old newspapers to read...just anything like that to add to the feeling of the place....just a bit of history really.

- san fran
I was so looking forward to san fran, expecting to see some resemblance of the actual place, but no, just a big grey island, a bit lazy in my opinion, I do not feel like im in san fransisco at all.

- arkfalls
not because they are laggy, I was expecting them to be laggy on xbox, but just how easy they are, I don't want to be able to do arkfalls on my own, I want them to be a REAL challenge, something that we can only beat with real team work and effort, so when u do, you feel rewarded, and you should be rewarded if you over come them.

that's my main issues and things I would like to see improved with the game, apart from that im loving it and really looking forward to future updates, be cool to hear all your thoughts on how you feel after 2 weeks.

-

mrgrimezHD
04-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Last night was the first time since Defiance was released that I thought 'ah im a bit bored', I looked through my games and played counter strike GO for a couple hours....first time in a LONG time ive played that game. All games become boring after a while and that's not a criticism, I think I have just over played it a bit, its only natural. saying that it got me thinking about how I feel about Defiance in general 2 weeks in. Generally, I really like the game, its a lot of fun, it gets the basic feature that any game needs right, good gameplay, that's what matters most, for a shooter, it is fun to shoot stuff. But heres a few disapointments I have had so far with the game...

- I was excited about playing an MMO on xbox but this does not feel like an MMO (I know we have heard this a million times now). I know people might say, but there is a massive amount of people playing online together so technically it is, correct, but people don't play MMOS just to see other people running about, people play MMOS for the social experience, and this game lacks it badly, a constant text box would some what solve this, just so people can see if some one writes a message, messages disappear within seconds and people in a menu miss it and then just carry on not realising some one said something...I know trion are fixing this, so im looking forward to that.

- Exploration
I was looking forward to exploring the world of defiance but so far have not seen any need to, there is nothing interesting to explore, look at or read, you would think a world after a major war would contain more refrences to it, posters, maybe old newspapers to read...just anything like that to add to the feeling of the place....just a bit of history really.

- san fran
I was so looking forward to san fran, expecting to see some resemblance of the actual place, but no, just a big grey island, a bit lazy in my opinion, I do not feel like im in san fransisco at all.

- arkfalls
not because they are laggy, I was expecting them to be laggy on xbox, but just how easy they are, I don't want to be able to do arkfalls on my own, I want them to be a REAL challenge, something that we can only beat with real team work and effort, so when u do, you feel rewarded, and you should be rewarded if you over come them.

that's my main issues and things I would like to see improved with the game, apart from that im loving it and really looking forward to future updates, be cool to hear all your thoughts on how you feel after 2 weeks.

-

Those were some very good points, and I'll agree with you on every one of them.

However, making a game more 'Challenging' will ALWAYS upset the casual gamers who just want to have some fun and mess around, Defiance needs to cater for all types because it's an MMO, sadly the 'Cod Kids' and other immature individuals which infest these forums won't stand for it, they will group together and then stand out from the rest because of their constant whining.

Look what happened to BF3, when the 'Cod Kids' made the transition over to BF3 they instantly began crying on the forums because the sniper rifles had Bullet Drop.... that's what happens when you become obsessed with a game which is basically an arcade title, point and shoot, job done. Not to mention other things, so now BF3 has become overrun with the same individuals who cried wolf and DICE listened to them. I traded BF3 soon after.

I'll agree with making Defiance just a little bit harder for the people who enjoy it, but not over do it so the individuals above will take to the forums and complain because they either lack the skill or they simply cannot be bothered.

People say that Region Locking plays a major part in why Defiance seems empty, that maybe true, but the truth is if you think the lag is bad now, just wait until shards are intertwined, playing with people on the other side of the globe can be a touch and go situation in most cases.

However the argument for that could be ''Well it won't lag more then usual because everyone will be on the same server'' yeah, that's true, everyone will be on the same shard but honestly, if people can't see that the more people on a server increases server load, which leads to even more errors then there's no hope.

I believe in Trion and if they think this will work and they're considering it then fair play, I'm willing to step back and see how things pan out but I can tell you now, IF the Region Lock is lifted you can pretty much guarantee people will complain because there's ''Too many people'' ''The lag is awful'' ''I hate this game even more'' and all the other things people have repeated countless times already.

As for San Fran, agreed, I would've liked to of seen something which relates to the location rather then it's name, maybe some popular war torn buildings or something, thus giving the player a reason to explore however due to the world being Terraformed it kind of makes sense.

Arkfalls, or Arkwhat? I should say, Honestly I don't even bother with them not because I don't like them or have problems per say, it's the people who attend them. It's not a Rampage, so why do people insist on killing the things which actually help the progression of the Crystal being taken out? The Major Arkfall's I can understand, when fighting the Hellion or bigger bugs then so be it, use the most powerful weapon in your arsenal and destroy it.

But when people drive over Skitterlings / scrapper bots which are key to the destruction of certain Crystals, it gets annoying which brings me back to the Region Lock scenario, it's bad people do it now, but wait until 20 - 30 - 40 people are doing it, good bye Arkfalls, Hello random instance event.

The Exploration comment you made is 100% true, seeing as the world of Defiance is now Terraformed I would of thought propaganda posters, reminiscence of the Pale War, older broken down tech would be laying around randomly to give the player a sense of immersion but there isn't, it doesn't bother me in the slightest but it would've been nice to explore the 'Lore' of it all while playing. Data Recorders don't count in my eyes.

Personally I'm a backseat gamer, not the kind of gamer who tells other people how to play but more of a 'on the fence' kind as I wait and watch the game I'm playing unfold. I like Defiance and I won't stop playing it anytime soon, some people will agree, some won't as there's always someone who has to complain.

If I had the ability to make some changes then I would do as follows

1) - Make outfits into fully functioning Armor sets, with stats to match, after all Defiance is an MMO. Can you imagine stacking synergy stats from Armor along with stats from 'that' weapon you've being saving? Beastly.

2) - Weapon Models implemented, I think the weapons are pretty much balanced but when I get my hands on a rare Legendary, I won't that badboy to stand out from the rest. The stats are amazing but the actual Weapon Models look the same as their standard common counterparts.

3) - A Map overlay of the current places players can visit, I know the map tells the player in which area they're in but I wouldn't mind seeing a more detailed view such as the exact place of where they are. This could come in handy for the new people looking to complete there Data Recorder Pursuits or Unique locations to gather / trade / chat (That's debatable) not to mention contracts.. that's another story altogether.

Some people might like hunting / exploring around to find that item which is need, but others, when they see literally no information on what they're looking for they tend to stray and do other things, basically forcing them to miss out on the bonuses / outfits which are unlocked.

4) - The lockboxes are a great idea but if they were able to stump up a different colored vehicles / outfits etc then I believe it would make them just that little bit better.

5) - The Salvage Matrix does need a little tweek, it costs x amount of resources just to remove mods from a weapon? but it costs less to actually put them on? if that was intended then I'll feel foolish but honestly it looked like a glitch to me, for example, it would cost 14,000 Resources just to remove mods of a standard weapon? ... hmm..

6) Increase the Keycode Cap, currently it's set to I believe 75? 74? one of those but why? the only thing Keycodes are used for are lockboxes so why would there be a limit on those but not on Scrip? This might not sit well with people who like to farm credits.. sorry.. Scrip / Keycodes as when they've reached the cap, they've got to do it all over again making the wait to open that Tier (insert preferred number here) lockbox a chore.

That's pretty much it, I personally love the game, it's different and ballsy if I'm honest. Some people might agree, others won't but I digress.

Excellent Thread, Lally.

Pyth
04-15-2013, 10:18 AM
I too was disappointed in San Fransisco. I had this idea in my head of the D.C. Ruins from Fallout 3, with dangers around every corner, bombed out buildings to take cover in, etc., etc... I suppose that's what I get from hyping it up in my head.

And as someone who's been gaming for 15+ years, my experience tells me that this game is lackluster in so many ways. But I'm still having a blast with it, though I can't explain why.

Despite all the issues, I can see myself playing this for a long time to come.

Thedjectivenoun
04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
I played Rift for about 2 weeks and could not for the life of me get into the game. the class system and questing and random events just didn't do it for me. I played WoW since released so the things happening on here is not new.

I didn't have high hopes for this, but I figured I would give this a try. All in all it is not a bad game. sadly we are infected with the affliction of CoD fanboi's, and people who want to be spoon fed PvP wins cause they are to lazy to figure out how to counter cloak hunters, and cry about how shotguns are "OP" and launchers are "OP", or just cry in general.

but since I been playing and struggled with the patches, the infamous lag issues on xbox live. I do hope more missions get exp increase (the random ones that are out in the world).

I do see me playing this game for a while. I just hope that the show isn't horrible.
Can't wait to see the future DLC and missions being later released in the year.
Wonder if we will get ark hunter codes.

LALLY
04-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Those were some very good points, and I'll agree with you on every one of them.

However, making a game more 'Challenging' will ALWAYS upset the casual gamers who just want to have some fun and mess around, Defiance needs to cater for all types because it's an MMO, sadly the 'Cod Kids' and other immature individuals which infest these forums won't stand for it, they will group together and then stand out from the rest because of their constant whining.

Look what happened to BF3, when the 'Cod Kids' made the transition over to BF3 they instantly began crying on the forums because the sniper rifles had Bullet Drop.... that's what happens when you become obsessed with a game which is basically an arcade title, point and shoot, job done. Not to mention other things, so now BF3 has become overrun with the same individuals who cried wolf and DICE listened to them. I traded BF3 soon after.

I'll agree with making Defiance just a little bit harder for the people who enjoy it, but not over do it so the individuals above will take to the forums and complain because they either lack the skill or they simply cannot be bothered.

People say that Region Locking plays a major part in why Defiance seems empty, that maybe true, but the truth is if you think the lag is bad now, just wait until shards are intertwined, playing with people on the other side of the globe can be a touch and go situation in most cases.

However the argument for that could be ''Well it won't lag more then usual because everyone will be on the same server'' yeah, that's true, everyone will be on the same shard but honestly, if people can't see that the more people on a server increases server load, which leads to even more errors then there's no hope.

I believe in Trion and if they think this will work and they're considering it then fair play, I'm willing to step back and see how things pan out but I can tell you now, IF the Region Lock is lifted you can pretty much guarantee people will complain because there's ''Too many people'' ''The lag is awful'' ''I hate this game even more'' and all the other things people have repeated countless times already.

As for San Fran, agreed, I would've liked to of seen something which relates to the location rather then it's name, maybe some popular war torn buildings or something, thus giving the player a reason to explore however due to the world being Terraformed it kind of makes sense.

Arkfalls, or Arkwhat? I should say, Honestly I don't even bother with them not because I don't like them or have problems per say, it's the people who attend them. It's not a Rampage, so why do people insist on killing the things which actually help the progression of the Crystal being taken out? The Major Arkfall's I can understand, when fighting the Hellion or bigger bugs then so be it, use the most powerful weapon in your arsenal and destroy it.

But when people drive over Skitterlings / scrapper bots which are key to the destruction of certain Crystals, it gets annoying which brings me back to the Region Lock scenario, it's bad people do it now, but wait until 20 - 30 - 40 people are doing it, good bye Arkfalls, Hello random instance event.

The Exploration comment you made is 100% true, seeing as the world of Defiance is now Terraformed I would of thought propaganda posters, reminiscence of the Pale War, older broken down tech would be laying around randomly to give the player a sense of immersion but there isn't, it doesn't bother me in the slightest but it would've been nice to explore the 'Lore' of it all while playing. Data Recorders don't count in my eyes.

Personally I'm a backseat gamer, not the kind of gamer who tells other people how to play but more of a 'on the fence' kind as I wait and watch the game I'm playing unfold. I like Defiance and I won't stop playing it anytime soon, some people will agree, some won't as there's always someone who has to complain.

If I had the ability to make some changes then I would do as follows

1) - Make outfits into fully functioning Armor sets, with stats to match, after all Defiance is an MMO. Can you imagine stacking synergy stats from Armor along with stats from 'that' weapon you've being saving? Beastly.

2) - Weapon Models implemented, I think the weapons are pretty much balanced but when I get my hands on a rare Legendary, I won't that badboy to stand out from the rest. The stats are amazing but the actual Weapon Models look the same as their standard common counterparts.

3) - A Map overlay of the current places players can visit, I know the map tells the player in which area they're in but I wouldn't mind seeing a more detailed view such as the exact place of where they are. This could come in handy for the new people looking to complete there Data Recorder Pursuits or Unique locations to gather / trade / chat (That's debatable) not to mention contracts.. that's another story altogether.

Some people might like hunting / exploring around to find that item which is need, but others, when they see literally no information on what they're looking for they tend to stray and do other things, basically forcing them to miss out on the bonuses / outfits which are unlocked.

4) - The lockboxes are a great idea but if they were able to stump up a different colored vehicles / outfits etc then I believe it would make them just that little bit better.

5) - The Salvage Matrix does need a little tweek, it costs x amount of resources just to remove mods from a weapon? but it costs less to actually put them on? if that was intended then I'll feel foolish but honestly it looked like a glitch to me, for example, it would cost 14,000 Resources just to remove mods of a standard weapon? ... hmm..

6) Increase the Keycode Cap, currently it's set to I believe 75? 74? one of those but why? the only thing Keycodes are used for are lockboxes so why would there be a limit on those but not on Scrip? This might not sit well with people who like to farm credits.. sorry.. Scrip / Keycodes as when they've reached the cap, they've got to do it all over again making the wait to open that Tier (insert preferred number here) lockbox a chore.

That's pretty much it, I personally love the game, it's different and ballsy if I'm honest. Some people might agree, others won't but I digress.

Excellent Thread, Lally.

yeh good reply man, enjoyed reading it...some of your points were things I had not even thought about

Warhead
04-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Good points for the most part. I am far from bored though. For better or worse, this game is exponentially better with friends. In game chat is fairly weak, but the XBOX party system is pretty awesome. The grouping system works well, with the ability to teleport to friends and group members. The social aspect is there, but it is less useful if you don't have friends to bring in to the game. I only have a handful of friends I play with, but it seems to be enough.

Incentives to explore would go a long way. Not just for data logs, but there should be other rewards. The hidden vendors are a good start, so maybe they will add more as we go.