PDA

View Full Version : Improvements to Roll / Crouch controls?

Mandrigor
04-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Not sure if this is appropriate for the PS3 forum or if it should be moved to Gameplay because it may apply to 360 players too.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone else feels like the controls for Crouch and Roll are sub-optimal. The double-tap for Roll requires just enough time/effort to discourage me from using it in a firefight. Conversely, I find I rarely have the need to quickly crouch and I typically use L3 when I need to exit crouch in a hurry (usually because I'm being shot at so going right into a sprint is ideal).

Red Faction: Armageddon and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron are two other shooters that come to mind with a similar mechanic and I found myself using Roll far more frequently in those games.

Ideally I'd like tapping once O to Roll and pressing/holding O to Crouch. I think that change would result in more of the action-shooter feel Trion seems to be going for. Does anyone else agree? At the very least maybe make it a configuration setting in a future update?

RookieOnDuty
04-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Not sure if this is appropriate for the PS3 forum or if it should be moved to Gameplay because it may apply to 360 players too.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone else feels like the controls for Crouch and Roll are sub-optimal. The double-tap for Roll requires just enough time/effort to discourage me from using it in a firefight. Conversely, I find I rarely have the need to quickly crouch and I typically use L3 when I need to exit crouch in a hurry (usually because I'm being shot at so going right into a sprint is ideal).

Red Faction: Armageddon and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron are two other shooters that come to mind with a similar mechanic and I found myself using far more frequently in those games.

Ideally I'd like tapping O to Roll and pressing O to Crouch. I think that change would result in more of the action-shooter feel Trion seems to be going for. Does anyone else agree? At the very least maybe make it a configuration setting in a future update?

You do have to tap to roll and press to crouch, honestly I don't really understand the problem?

Mandrigor
04-15-2013, 10:48 AM
You do have to tap to roll and press to crouch, honestly I don't really understand the problem?

That's not what I'm experiencing. Tapping O toggles crouch/stand, double-tapping O causes a roll.

(Edit: Also confirmed this on the Defiance Wiki (http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Defiance_(game)#PS3) because you made me question my sanity)

Because rolling requires a double-tap I find it a bit too cumbersome to use in a firefight. There have been several times I've wanted to roll out of fire only to see my character crouch down instead and take it in the face.

I'm proposing that tapping O should cause a roll and pressing(holding) O should be for crouch/stand.

RookieOnDuty
04-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Ah, our definition of tapping was different, for me tapping as when something is pressed multiple times.

In the post you wrote: "Ideally I'd like tapping O to Roll and pressing O to Crouch". So that mixed it up.

But personally I don't find any problem using roll, I use it a lot more often then sprint in a fight. It can also have something to do with our play style's in TPS games, Thus I don't find any problems with the roll/crouch system.

Khufu
04-15-2013, 10:58 AM
You can always remap it to a button you're more comfortable with.

wrappy
04-15-2013, 11:03 AM
I use roll all the time. especially against bugs. I never had a problem w/ it. I do have a problem w/ the sprint button. it's a good suggestion to remap. I didn't realize you could.

kbrownridge
04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
I agree that the double-tap to dodge is very annoying. I'm not a fan of double-tap as a mechanic for ANY game.
More often than not, I'm trying to dodge an incoming projectile or something and end up just crouching (or standing) and getting hit.

I'll try a remap and see if that helps.

Phrase Universe
04-16-2013, 08:26 AM
You can always remap it to a button you're more comfortable with.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mandrigor
04-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Looks like remapping just lets you change the button, I couldn't find any way to rebind Roll to a single-tap. Based on the low response it seems most people aren't really bothered by this.

I guess I'll just pray to the Dev Gods that one of them takes pity on me and puts in a config option for this. Even just being able to set Roll to Single Tap and Crouch to Double Tap would be better.

WreckFace
04-16-2013, 09:50 AM
actually i have the same problem. after a long session yesterday my thumb started to get a bit painful.
especially after trying to take down a hulker with a bmg.
I think that swapping roll and crouch or holding O to crouch is actually a way better option.