PDA

View Full Version : Response from GM about patch coming out today:

Derity
04-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Just spoke to a GM on the Live Chat and this was his response:

GM Tinkale: "I don't know. I do not have a patch release date as of yet. Could be today and might be next week. I also don't have all the details of what will be in that patch."

Xavier Horovitz
04-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Half Life 3 confirmed.

In all seriousness, we now have conflicting reports from GMs, further intensifying the opinion that they truly are confused 187% of the time.

Taaltos
04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
I think that was a horrible example of 'neither confirm nor deny'.

Hope499
04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Ewwwwww, thats not the type of response I was looking for....

I want my patch now! lol, actually I dont really have any issues at the moment execpt for shadow wars problems, and I can wait on that.

FriendlyStranger
04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
I think that was a horrible example of 'neither confirm nor deny'.

And a perfect example not to trust your game managers with anything to do with managing the game in an official capacity. <__<'

Xtheoneandonly
04-15-2013, 11:55 AM
In all seriousness, we now have conflicting reports from GMs, further intensifying the opinion that they truly are confused 187% of the time.

187%? Really? Don't you think that figure is a little low?

Dixa
04-15-2013, 11:55 AM
why owuld they patch today when they HAVE to patch tomorrow due to the airing of the show?

stragen001
04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
The people on live chat are not GMs they are customer service reps, who are always the last to know anything!

shotgunEX
04-15-2013, 11:58 AM
He could've been talking about just EU for all we know. Gotta wait it out, quit hassling trion lmao.

Mivo
04-15-2013, 12:00 PM
And a perfect example not to trust your game managers with anything to do with managing the game in an official capacity. <__<'

GM is an entry level customer support position. They are not decision makers, but the equivalent of someone working late night shift in a call center. It is normal that they may not have information that the decision makers may not have fully decided on yet (e.g. there may be last minute issues, or more testing needed). It doesn't mean you can't trust them, only that you overestimate where GMs are in the company structure.

Even if the guy knew the estimated date or time, it's dangerous to tell people that. Because even if you say MAY or MAYBE, people will typically take it as WILL and WILL BE.

Wanderer
04-15-2013, 12:02 PM
They can easily come out and say yes or no, its almost noon here in the west coast where Trion is located, by this time in the world day they should know if they are pushing out a major patch today or not, I think they are leaving the community in the dark to prevent an uproar about waiting weeks for a patch.

Grimno
04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
I was at the livestream with sledgehammer and they kept speaking of the "April 15th Patch".
I'm pretty sure it's coming out today.
I wouldn't be surprise if since the show is to premiere tonight at 9PM EST that the patch comes up at that time. (9PM EST, 6PM PST) and the duration lasts the same time the episode lasts... so once you're done watching the episode, it's time to play the new content!

Speedstersonic
04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
why owuld they patch today when they HAVE to patch tomorrow due to the airing of the show?

Why does everyone keep saying they need to patch to add the episode missions? They could already be ready and downloaded all the would have to do is flip a switch server side... :/

Have people not experienced this before?

Lowlif3r
04-15-2013, 12:06 PM
They're just starting a new trend and incorporating it into their brand. Instead of the old "Soon(tm)"... they're going with "Perhaps(tm)". There's just so much more entertainment and buzz about it!

FriendlyStranger
04-15-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't overestimate where they are in the company structure, that title implies certain things. If they are customer service reps, they should be called such, not game managers. That's like calling a cashier a manager, because he manages a register, or heck because he manages to show up at work.

They're just starting a new trend and incorporating it into their brand. Instead of the old "Soon(tm)"... they're going with "Perhaps(tm)". There's just so much more entertainment and buzz about it!

I really enjoyed when Zombie incorporated soon into the development of Blacklight: Retribution. It was much more appealing and less frustrating than a specific date and time that constantly had to change. I'd like to see them adopt a similar structure to, not sure how to term it but it comes out of South Africa. There's Now, Now Now, and Now Now Now.

Dixa
04-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Why does everyone keep saying they need to patch to add the episode missions? They could already be ready and downloaded all the would have to do is flip a switch server side... :/

why does everyone keep saying they just have to flip a switch server side to add the episode missions? they could require a patch...:/

have people not experienced this before?

FriendlyStranger
04-15-2013, 12:19 PM
It is standard for online games like this to preload the content, it's costs more time and money to have millions of people trying to download new content at the same time, and much simpler and easier to preload it. It is very likely, especially given a likely expectation of a large player base, that this is the route they took. Especially considering how horrible microsoft is when it comes to patching. They otherwise might not be able to keep the game on pc/ps3/360 in line with each other.

SpecBop
04-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I've already seen the first episode it's two-part. Saw it last night.

****SPOILERS****

Nolan gets offered to be the lawkeeper for defiance after they fight of (destroy) a large army. The woman who runes the brothel (and nolan hooks up with) is the sister of the mayor etc.

fishboy11
04-15-2013, 12:22 PM

really and how would they display any new graphics, voices or cutscenes on your computer for these new missions without first patching the game? the onyl way they could just "flip a switch" is if the episode content was already on our computers but locked.

Speedstersonic
04-15-2013, 12:24 PM
really and how would they display any new graphics, voices or cutscenes on your computer for these new missions without first patching the game? the onyl way they could just "flip a switch" is if the episode content was already on our computers but locked.

And you just answered your own question. Most mmos do this.

fishboy11
04-15-2013, 12:25 PM
It is standard for online games like this to preload the content, it's costs more time and money to have millions of people trying to download new content at the same time, and much simpler and easier to preload it. It is very likely, especially given a likely expectation of a large player base, that this is the route they took. Especially considering how horrible microsoft is when it comes to patching. They otherwise might not be able to keep the game on pc/ps3/360 in line with each other.

and they probably wont be able to keep the pc/xbpx and ps3 in line with eachother, the game is not cross platform its multi platform ,they already stated that the pc will likely get patched before the xbox and ps3

fishboy11
04-15-2013, 12:26 PM
And you just answered your own question. Most mmos do this.

really, none that i have played recently do this, tsw and GW2 being the most recent always patch their new content in, its no coincidence that the big patch is happening at the same time as the TV show airs and we are due for new episode missions, because they are going to do both at once

FriendlyStranger
04-15-2013, 12:26 PM

That's exactly what we're talking about. They'd be flipping a switch server side to unlock the content we already have.

Derity
04-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Would be funny if the first DLC was already on the disc, sorta like the whole Street Fighter X Tekken situation.

Speedstersonic
04-15-2013, 12:27 PM
really, none that i have played recently do this, tsw and GW2 being the most recent always patch their new content in

GW2 has def done this with limited time stuff, they add the stuff early for people to dl over a few days then unlock it server side.

FriendlyStranger
04-15-2013, 12:31 PM
and they probably wont be able to keep the pc/xbpx and ps3 in line with eachother, the game is not cross platform its multi platform ,they already stated that the pc will likely get patched before the xbox and ps3

Except they will if the content that needs to be unlocked is on the disc and just needs, unlocking, server side. That would be a more efficient and successful route, at least initially. Who knows how much possible content we already have and isn't unlocked yet, other than people digging through files they normally wouldn't have access to. They know.