PDA

View Full Version : TV-missions expire?

BattleTorn
04-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Am I correct that the TV (tie-in) missions expire by April 15th?

I only bought the game last week, and haven't had all that much play time with it (I've also been avoiding major missions in order to ensure I complete all side-missions)

Why do these TV-missions expire? (if they do, in fact) What happens when new players, after the 15th, wish to see the backstory?

I had full intensions of recording the premiere episode, and saving it until I caught up anways... Now it seems like I may have missed them for good...

What's the deal? Can't I have the freedom to follow along at my own pace?

Defy
04-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Thats what I hear too, that they expire

Personally I hope there will be some way to play past missions since I havent gotten to them either

Nucleotides
04-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I have also heard that but I heard it was after a period of time, not when the next episode airs.

Truth in this? who knows.

ward925
04-15-2013, 04:20 PM
yeah they do expire so you only have the week they are available to do them...I know people have time constraints and other things but they are quick to do and are slightly tied into the show...future recommendation do them the second they become available...i am not sure if they will make them all available for the season which is what i would do if i were them but as for now this is system they have in place

Agonist
04-15-2013, 04:34 PM
I dislike the system. I do not think WORKING content should be removed for any reason ...especially for a game this strapped for unbugged stuff to accomplish.

The only explanation I've read has been "Wouldn't make sense for Nolan and Irisa to be one place ingame and another in the show." Horrid excuse to remove working missions that a vast number have not completed and future players will have no idea about.

Ashes2Ashes
04-15-2013, 04:35 PM
yeah they do expire so you only have the week they are available to do them...I know people have time constraints and other things but they are quick to do and are slightly tied into the show...future recommendation do them the second they become available...i am not sure if they will make them all available for the season which is what i would do if i were them but as for now this is system they have in place

I didn't realize they expired. Time to start texting all the friends to knock them out quickly. I knocked mine out in the beginning but I know others have been procrastinating.

EdgeTW
04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Why do these TV-missions expire? (if they do, in fact) What happens when new players, after the 15th, wish to see the backstory?

I had full intensions of recording the premiere episode, and saving it until I caught up anways... Now it seems like I may have missed them for good...

What's the deal? Can't I have the freedom to follow along at my own pace?
I think the idea here is that the universe of Defiance (comprised of both show and game) is always evolving, and whenever you're playing that's a slice of the current moment in time in that universe. The missions stop being available because Nolan and Irisa have now moved on to St. Louis; the episode missions you're referring to are now events of the past that have come and gone.

The other side of this is when characters in the show will vanish for several episodes and then appear in the game after heading out west temporarily. Then they'll leave the game and return back east to the show-lands of St. Louis. So, for show viewers they'll be without their form of "content" for a time as well.

It's an immersion choice, and one they seem to be pretty big on. I agree that it's frustrating, though. Mostly it's frustrating to me because, as an immersion choice, it's fairly hardcore. And I don't mind hardcore immersion.. it's just most of the rest of the game seems to be missing that, so it sticks out like a sore thumb here.

That said, there is no way in heck they spent all that development time on those episode missions never to make them available again. I fully expect to see them show up again (perhaps between seasons) as some sort of "re-run" event. In that respect you can almost think of them as seasonal content: here for a short bit, then gone for a while, but eventually returning for another visit.

Defy
04-15-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm hoping for like a "Flashback" option where you can do any previous missions

BattleTorn
04-15-2013, 04:49 PM
The reasoning being that the characters being in "one place" at a time between the show/game makes very little sense...

Have they really anticipated that people watching the TV show and become compelled to play the game won't want to, or find out about, these missions they've missed?

Like Agonist said, there is very little reason to EVER remove working content from a retail-game. If it's in there, I should have access to play them! (within reason)

The game has been out for 2weeks, and they've already remove 4 missions? How many will be lost for new-player by the end of the season?

The in-game universe being an slice-in-moment from the TV show just does not make sense. Both TV and games have to account for new-viewer/gamers - people who will follow along at their own pace.

I'd like to hear an official address to this..

Dr EveHill
04-15-2013, 04:53 PM
I think the goal or idea behind the episode missions is that you have content available tied into the game and as such will have a time limit of how long its available to play. Will it ever come back? I would suspect during the season break waiting for season 2 as they will also rerun the original episodes. Or maybe its like too bad so sad its a one time event your either there for it or of sleeping a hangover off.

Defy
04-15-2013, 04:58 PM
yeah also some people will be getting the show on DVD eventually when it comes out there or otherwise getting into the show later, so there would have to be a way that newcomers will be able to experience the missions related to those episodes

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Heres what I think, and I started a thread hoping the devs would see tbis suggestion.........

HEY DEVS!!!

Why not just have a menu that lets you select , EPISODE 1 MISSIONs, EPISODE 2 MISSIONS, ETC... So that ppl can pick which episode missions will drop into the map. I mean the show will be on on demand to watch for newcomers, so why should the missions dissapear entirely. Naybe after the episode airs they can just make them solo play, you can just choose to drop into the episode 1 missions. There should be an episode mission menu. Its just dumb to remove them entirely, I know they cant have episode 1 and episode 2 missions on the map all at once, but with a menu we can pick which ones do show, then newcomers to the show or the game wont miss out.or the ppl who thought they would be available until the episode aired wont miss out, since they took them down early? hmmm

BattleTorn
04-15-2013, 05:04 PM
HEY DEVS!!!

Now there is a excellent idea, it could even allow for more significant tie-ins.

EdgeTW
04-15-2013, 05:08 PM
The reasoning being that the characters being in "one place" at a time between the show/game makes very little sense...

Have they really anticipated that people watching the TV show and become compelled to play the game won't want to, or find out about, these missions they've missed?

The thing to understand is that the game is not based on the show, nor is the show based on the game. They're supposed to be one story told across two mediums. And, yes, the idea is you will not have a complete picture of that story unless you play the game AND watch the show. That is their experiment.

They seem to be pretty serious about this. Feel free to watch interviews on their hype (I've linked the videos at the appropriate timestamps) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TNfo65NzHQw#t=35s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TNfo65NzHQw#t=280s

Defy
04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Heres what I think, and I started a thread hoping the devs would see tbis suggestion.........

HEY DEVS!!!

Why not just have a menu that lets you select , EPISODE 1 MISSIONs, EPISODE 2 MISSIONS, ETC... So that ppl can pick which episode missions will drop into the map. I mean the show will be on on demand to watch for newcomers, so why should the missions dissapear entirely. Naybe after the episode airs they can just make them solo play, you can just choose to drop into the episode 1 missions. There should be an episode mission menu. Its just dumb to remove them entirely, I know they cant have episode 1 and episode 2 missions on the map all at once, but with a menu we can pick which ones do show, then newcomers to the show or the game wont miss out.or the ppl who thought they would be available until the episode aired wont miss out, since they took them down early? hmmm

yeah thats a good idea

EdgeTW
04-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Also for the people QQing about this situation:
You've got to tone it down. Jeeze.

I've only had enough time to play that I just completed the Marin area last night, story/content wise. My friends and I like to consume our content in order. We also avoid peeking ahead to other areas because adventuring in a new area is a big part of what keeps us interested in MMOs.

Three-quarters of the four-part episode missions take place OUTSIDE of Marin, in areas we had not progressed to yet. We were really disappointed when we heard the content was being removed by the 15th, because it forced us to visit areas we had not yet progressed to naturally. I, for example, would not want to roll down to the San Francisco area my first few minutes in the game. That's just not how I or my friends play. We're in it for the journey.

Don't assume you know everyone's reason for not keeping up with your pace. You can't even start the episode missions until you've reached a certain part in the main story line.

Swampster
04-15-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't mind that these expire, but what I really don't like is incompletable pursuits once they have expired.
If an episodic mission is going to expire, then take any associated (not complete pursuits with it)!