PDA

View Full Version : Who's to blame: SyFy or Trion?

Deioth
04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
I'll premise this with the fact I more or less impulse bought this cuz I had some Steam wallet cash from a birthday, so I'd have known differently had I researched or been able to participate in the beta. That said, seriously, this game is so damn consolized. There's no community to this game. It's just something you play that has other players. It's the most Single-Player Online Coop I've ever touched since Aion or Tera or WoW and those are as Single-Player Online Coop as it gets. Considering the fact we've got a friggen TV show that the game is supposed to be tied into, I'm simply shocked that this game was ultimately designed the way it is.

This game had the hugest potential for real roleplay and community and player impact on the game (and TV show) world since anything else that has been released in any length of memory (excluding Nexus and I'll be shtako-faced if anyone knows what that is). It has a damn TV show (or is it the TV show that has a game...?) yet all the game is is ultimately just stuff to shoot. They even say they want to have players mentioned on the show, but how the hell do they intend to do that kind of thing when the game has nothing for a player to do that would make them the least bit notable? Unless they plan to mention the no-job-no-life players who will be 9999 ego by the end of May, but I don't think they want XxSSGokuxX or BurgerKing or v4g1n4 or similarly dumb and adolescent names to be their name drops in the show.

So, who's to blame for the decision to make the game essentially a midget version of Skyrim with guns and only guns and then more guns (and LOTS of detonators in your lock boxes) with little resemblance to an MMO but call it an MMO? Was it SyFy or Trion who thought Defiance the game wasn't even worth the bare arsed minimum of a central hub or any other not just standards but expectancies for the genre it claims to be?

it's not like I won't play it, it's fun enough in moderate doses and the show was surprisingly entertaining. I'm just a bit surprised and honestly a bit miffed that such an opportunity for something far above and beyond anything ever done before basically turned out to be as much a tie-in as any other media with a game based off of it has turned out to be only with "MMO" slapped on to the descriptor. It's as much a tie in to the show as Arkham Asylum was for the Batman universe. It's just sharing the IP.

Buruko
04-15-2013, 08:58 PM
I'll premise this with the fact I more or less impulse bought this cuz I had some Steam wallet cash from a birthday, so I'd have known differently had I researched or been able to participate in the beta. That said, seriously, this game is so damn consolized. There's no community to this game. It's just something you play that has other players. It's the most Single-Player Online Coop I've ever touched since Aion or Tera or WoW and those are as Single-Player Online Coop as it gets. Considering the fact we've got a friggen TV show that the game is supposed to be tied into, I'm simply shocked that this game was ultimately designed the way it is.

This game had the hugest potential for real roleplay and community and player impact on the game (and TV show) world since anything else that has been released in any length of memory (excluding Nexus and I'll be shtako-faced if anyone knows what that is). It has a damn TV show (or is it the TV show that has a game...?) yet all the game is is ultimately just stuff to shoot. They even say they want to have players mentioned on the show, but how the hell do they intend to do that kind of thing when the game has nothing for a player to do that would make them the least bit notable? Unless they plan to mention the no-job-no-life players who will be 9999 ego by the end of May, but I don't think they want XxSSGokuxX or BurgerKing or v4g1n4 or similarly dumb and adolescent names to be their name drops in the show.

So, who's to blame for the decision to make the game essentially a midget version of Skyrim with guns and only guns and then more guns (and LOTS of detonators in your lock boxes) with little resemblance to an MMO but call it an MMO? Was it SyFy or Trion who thought Defiance the game wasn't even worth the bare arsed minimum of a central hub or any other not just standards but expectancies for the genre it claims to be?

it's not like I won't play it, it's fun enough in moderate doses and the show was surprisingly entertaining. I'm just a bit surprised and honestly a bit miffed that such an opportunity for something far above and beyond anything ever done before basically turned out to be as much a tie-in as any other media with a game based off of it has turned out to be only with "MMO" slapped on to the descriptor. It's as much a tie in to the show as Arkham Asylum was for the Batman universe. It's just sharing the IP.

As a PC gamer I don't know why you cannot find community, however I believe players of Aion and WoW would be able to tell you quite different stories to their social community. A social community is what you put into it, not what it brings to you. You have to socialize to build anything otherwise everyone darts too and fro without an idea that 9 people might be on the same Story phase or side mission.

Now I'm on Xbox and I stood in Mt. Tam and had a great text based round table chat with about 8 players about our experiences so far, gun play, tactics, issues we've found and some of the work a rounds we came across for them. It was about a 20 minute conversation, in the end a few went off as they were still in the Mt Tam area and some went back to Iron Demon Range to check on mods. There are sites, forums, clans galore so far as I've seen.

Take a moment and go get social I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

As for missed opportunity? If you haven't see the new content publish on the new Episode day as far as titles and rewards well... you've missed the boat completely anyway.

VectorHunter
04-15-2013, 08:59 PM
No ones to blame, this show/game just wasn't made for you. There are plenty of people who love it including myself. Btw shooters contain shooting, ergo the name.

IAMREALITY
04-15-2013, 09:08 PM
...for not making the world revolve around you.

Deioth
04-15-2013, 09:09 PM
As a PC gamer I don't know why you cannot find community, however I believe players of Aion and WoW would be able to tell you quite different stories to their social community. A social community is what you put into it, not what it brings to you. You have to socialize to build anything otherwise everyone darts too and fro without an idea that 9 people might be on the same Story phase or side mission.

Now I'm on Xbox and I stood in Mt. Tam and had a great text based round table chat with about 8 players about our experiences so far, gun play, tactics, issues we've found and some of the work a rounds we came across for them. It was about a 20 minute conversation, in the end a few went off as they were still in the Mt Tam area and some went back to Iron Demon Range to check on mods. There are sites, forums, clans galore so far as I've seen.

As for missed opportunity? If you haven't see the new content publish on the new Episode day as far as titles and rewards well... you've missed the boat completely anyway.

I'm shocked you got something going, and on Xbox no less. Unless they finally fixed it, chat's been pretty well broken and essentially useless on PC. Tack on the lack of any staple MMO features like central hubs or even area chat that isn't just /say and I'd be surprised anyone really gets anything going.

As for missed opportunity, well, I explained it as missed for sake of roleplayers. You'd think they'd have done something with a game that has a show (or show that has a game, whatever) but Defiance has even less than DC Universe going for it in that respect. All we really have is an online open world PvE shooter.

rhodezie
04-15-2013, 09:11 PM
...for not making the world revolve around you.

the world doesn't revolve it orbits :)

Deioth
04-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Speaking of, Orbitz was a weird drink. Anyone remember that stuff?

... Wow, I'm derailing my own thread with this lol

r4serei
04-15-2013, 09:21 PM

re•volve (rɪˈvɒlv)

v. -volved, -volv•ing. v.i.
1. to move in a curving course or orbit: The earth revolves around the sun.

IAMREALITY
04-15-2013, 09:24 PM

It revolves around its center. The OP, to his dismay, does not in fact happen to be that center; that everything Earthly revolves around. Therefore my original statement stands. :)

mcwjimbo
04-15-2013, 09:24 PM

in an elypse= think stretched out cirlce

and our system orbits the galactic core

rhodezie
04-15-2013, 09:38 PM
quite frankly the whole planetary system revolves not earth the center of which we revolve which the correct word would be orbit is the sun

TattoodWeirdo
04-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Speaking of, Orbitz was a weird drink. Anyone remember that stuff?

... Wow, I'm derailing my own thread with this lol

I do, and oddly enough I was thinking about that stuff yesterday... GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

IAMREALITY
04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
quite frankly the whole planetary system revolves not earth the center of which we revolve which the correct word would be orbit is the sun

You're babbling, and making zero sense. Go have a drink.

Notorious Megan
04-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Updates can, and will, fix everything you've mentioned.

This game is crazy fun, simply because it a awesome shooter and has an big open world. Trion did nail these two core features(even better than fIRefALl imo) and for that they deserve the credit. Everything you've mentioned can be fixed before launch if they don't have the deadline from Syfy, but that's a necessary evil that I can live with.

I played Rift for 1.5 years, if you didn't, you should ask people about how do they feel about the way Trion handle that game. For me, I have one word: Passionate. I really thought the game is gonna die soon because it's really nothing but a polished WoW, but the devs are really going all out to bring people the quality they deserve from a AAA game.

I know Defiance is a game with numerous bugs waiting to be fixed, and there're so many thing that went wrong on the MMO side of it, but I think they are listening to us and I decide to gave them time.

Elandriel
04-16-2013, 12:15 AM

You must be joking! Kudos to you for being a proper Trion voice, but your are exaggerating.
How many of those "20 min" moments have you had so far in Defiance? How many have you had in 2 weeks in other games?

zerounlmtd
04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
I can't agree, my clan Gotei 13 is almost 200 strong and growing and since I buy clan boosts Monday and Friday it provides incentive to work together, im afraid you're alone on this one

REiiGN15
04-16-2013, 12:21 AM
The real blame is peer-pressure I received from my clan after they told me to get and after a week them freaks only been on a couple hours. Honestly, all this game needs is jetpacks.

ZombieTech
04-16-2013, 12:28 AM
It's the most Single-Player Online Coop I've ever touched since Aion or Tera or WoW and those are as Single-Player Online Coop as it gets.

Erm, *shakes head*. I'll honestly admit I stopped reading right there. Granted I've played each of those games listed, and I play them as "single-player online coop" as my choice of style since I really don't play well with others... but you do realize you just named off three of the top pinnacle poster-models for MMORPG correct? As in, NOT actually single-player online coop (especially since technically NONE of those games have single-player modes)... single-player online coop is more like the multi-player facet of Red Dead Redemption... or Test Drive Unlimited, old-school Diablo(s), perhaps even games like APB.

When I read WoW, Aion, and Tera referred to as "single-player online coop", my head just about damn near exploded. No offense meant by this, but people really need to get their terminology straight before they go flinging it around like a self-professed/self-labeled hardcore gaming expert.

On another note...

Very well said Buruko. I realized this fact a long time ago since I tend to play solo, again because I don't typically play well with others... but there are often times where if a person won't put in the effort, the community doesn't come to them. The other players aren't psychic and can't just be at one single player's beck and call, especially if they don't even bother to beck and call. Perhaps if the OP wants to just be able to have everybody jump into doing the same stuff without communication, maybe Guild Wars 2 would be more their speed. I love Guild Wars 2 to no end, but I've gotten most the way through that game and never been on a team once so far, lol.

Hexi
04-16-2013, 12:43 AM
You are to blame for having ridiculous expectations. People have lost all sense of reality regarding games and their development. It's so sad.

Grimwyrd
04-16-2013, 01:15 AM
I also agree that a more RIFT-like MMORPG would better suit a TV show tie-in. There will be many fans of the show who want to "live" in the world of Defiance from an RPG perspective. A PC MMORPG with serious character development, social environment, and story-telling would seem an obvious route.

However... Comcast owns NBC-Universal (SyFy) and wants to sell cable programming packages and high-speed internet to as many people as possible. So you do the following:

1) Make the TV show and put it on non-basic TV channel to get cable subscribers (provided by Comcast).
2) Make the game action-based/shooter/PvP to require high-speed internet (provided by Comcast).
3) Make it cross-platform to try to pull more XBOX/PS3 people into high-speed internet gaming (because how dare you play console games without high-speed internet, provided by Comcast).

ZombieTech
04-16-2013, 01:20 AM
I also agree that a more RIFT-like MMORPG would better suit a TV show tie-in. There will be many fans of the show who want to "live" in the world of Defiance from an RPG perspective. A PC MMORPG with serious character development, social environment, and story-telling would seem an obvious route.

This I do highly agree with. Be nice to see depth even as deep as ArcheAge (which is a title Trion will be handling the North American port/translation/release of later this year). I'd love to see really deep immersion into the world... kind of like how Anarchy Online felt back in the day (or at least as immersive as AO could feel so many moons ago). :cool: