PDA

View Full Version : Too much vulgarity?

Santana Ortega
04-15-2013, 11:27 PM
I don't consider myself a prude but ...

Seems there is no real need for all the high end curse words in this game. War or no war.
Certain words could be toned down.

IMOO

Kitten Mittons
04-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Really? But most of the curse words are sci-fi-style censored. You know, schtako and all. I have heard a few F-bombs drop, but that's mostly from raiders; of course THEY'RE going to be vulgar. I'd be disappointed if they weren't.

Defy
04-15-2013, 11:30 PM
seemed fine to me

BattleTested
because your avatar pic is so much more acceptable

Erei
I find more amusing they use aliens words only for curse word. I don't know, it seems it was the only good part of their language :D

Coraline
04-15-2013, 11:31 PM
This is has to be the 3rd time I've read a forum about this game being vulgar. Seriously? I've heard maybe five curses. What does it matter? Have you played other M rated games before? Because there are a lot worst "vulgar" games compared to this. This is like preschool vulgar.

CrossTheBrij

LOL agreed.

Munx
T-roll....

Space_Monky

lol, winning.

Xiiego94
04-15-2013, 11:32 PM
I think this issue is solved because they had an alternative language to place the vulgar language. You know it means the F word but without saying it they are safe. In a way.

Xiiego94
04-15-2013, 11:34 PM
This is has to be the 3rd time I've read a forum about this game being vulgar. Seriously? I've heard maybe five curses. What does it matter? Have you played other M rated games before? Because there are a lot worst "vulgar" games compared to this. This is like preschool vulgar.yea i dont see an issue either i just wanted to give my explanation on the subject.

Santana Ortega
04-15-2013, 11:38 PM

But I guess I am talking about the Commander losing it in San Francisco.
The Alien curse words are fine.

Dandrielas
04-15-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't see any problem with it. In fact, I think they are too censored at times.

BattleTested
04-15-2013, 11:43 PM
But I guess I am talking about the Commander losing it in San Francisco.
The Alien curse words are fine.

your avatar tells me alot of things about you.

1. you are found to fake cgi rendering in my personal belief is a mental illness.
2. your not a adult yet
3. swearing is a healthy / normal part of life to reduce stress why most military members swear in / during combat and why ppl swear when there mad
4. Swearing is not harmful to anyone if you dont like it no one is forcing you to hear / be around that person or game

and yes a picture is stronger then words so it is vocal.

Golladan
04-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Real world is more vulgar.

REiiGN15
04-15-2013, 11:47 PM
I find it unacceptable that people still go around not accepting the fact that this is the language we speak to better convey or empathize our emotions.

BattleTested
04-15-2013, 11:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yHa3jyw.jpg

marine hit by IED stood up and does the 1 figure salute to his attackers.

a pic does say 1,000 words OP but swearing has its time and place.

Raehvyn
04-15-2013, 11:58 PM
You play a game which encourages:

Murder on a massive scale
Sexual manipulation to get things done (Cass)
Violence against animals even if alien
Robbery (killing and selling loot)
Betrayal

The thing that upsets you though, despite all of this, is that some guy drops the F-bomb when his ship crashes and Dark Matter are out to kill everyone? Lolbrowut.

BattleTested
04-16-2013, 12:00 AM
^ill never understand some peoples mentality lol

Dandrielas
04-16-2013, 12:00 AM
http://i.imgur.com/yHa3jyw.jpg

marine hit by IED stood up and does the 1 figure salute to his attackers.

a pic does say 1,000 words OP but swearing has its time and place.

That is a cool picture.

ArcHunterXxPattakxX
04-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Seems fine to me. Using alien words even better

Rend
04-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Donīt get me wrong, I donīt mind the language at all in the game.

I do wonder though, why on earth you hear stuff like ****head (iirc, that word was used twice in a story mission I played today), and other cursing, but if you chat your curse words are filtered lol.

Doesnīt make sense to me...
I have yet to find an option for enabling/disabling that.

Beats
04-16-2013, 12:06 AM

Seems there is no real need for all the high end curse words in this game. War or no war.

IMOO

Nope. Nothing worse than you would hear around in real life, on cable television or the like. If cursing was such a hot topic for you, why did you not read the rating? It said strong language and it has strong language. This is like buying orange juice without reading the label then complaining that you bought the one with pulp. I'm fairly sure trion even said at some point the game would have harsh language (during development/pre release)

Raehvyn
04-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Donīt get me wrong, I donīt mind the language at all in the game.

I do wonder though, why on earth you hear stuff like ****head (iirc, that word was used twice in a story mission I played today), and other cursing, but if you chat your curse words are filtered lol.

Doesnīt make sense to me...
I have yet to find an option for enabling/disabling that.

The context. The game uses profanity appropriately. Allowing people to swear in chat is opening the floodgates for abusive behavior. The game may be Mature but they still don't want people dropping tons of profanity laden insults on their playerbase.

piedlpiper
04-16-2013, 12:07 AM

IMOO

Totally agree, and it's not all coming from raider/bad guys, it's from the good guys mostly... No need for it at all. Put it all into what someone said was 'Syfy' slang... Certainly would not want such to be heard during the show and don't want to hear it in the game...

BattleTested
04-16-2013, 12:10 AM
i had a mother say dont say *** infront of my children 1 time because i told the husband they are making ugly *** cars these days i just held it in lol.

Beats
04-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Totally agree, and it's not all coming from raider/bad guys, it's from the good guys mostly... No need for it at all. Put it all into what someone said was 'Syfy' slang... Certainly would not want such to be heard during the show and don't want to hear it in the game...

Does no one read ratings? It says that it has strong language. If the cursing is so much of an issue, why is the rampant murder of other people 100% okay? Lastly many M rated games now a days have swearing. It's not as if being an adult (I assume most everyone who purchases this is) you have never heard these 'curse' words.

Dandrielas
04-16-2013, 12:12 AM

Wow. I don't understand people with that mentality. Cussing is a natural part of life, so trying to snuff it out for people that like it is beyond my comprehension.

Shogo_Yahagi
04-16-2013, 12:12 AM
So just to recap, you have no problem with the fountain of blood depicted when you blow someone's head completely off with a high-powered rifle for entertainment, but naughty words upset you.

Did your mommy know that this was an M-rated game?

BattleTested
04-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Does no one read ratings? It says that it has strong language. If the cursing is so much of an issue, why is the rampant murder of other people 100% okay? Lastly many M rated games now a days have swearing. It's not as if being an adult (I assume most everyone who purchases this is) you have never heard these 'curse' words.

society today.. back when i grew up G rated movies even had nudity todays world everyone is becoming weak / weird i feel sorry for the future even the weather channel saying its to dangerous to go outside when its windy or heavy rain lol

Jitterbug
04-16-2013, 12:14 AM

QFT my man

Ellienna
04-16-2013, 12:16 AM

IMOO

You object to fictional characters swearing, yet choose a provocative avatar?

Jitterbug
04-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Furthermore, how excactly is Shtako better?

It's like saying "the F-word" - everyone knows what it is and immediately thinks of that four letter word. So it's put into your mind regardless. It's borderline hypocritic "IMOO".

Aria
04-16-2013, 12:19 AM
The language is fine if you have a issue turn off voices or sound? What is being said in game fits with the game theme, also anyone who might find the language offensive had plenty of time to discover that during betas or via doing little research?

Cerne
04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
You play a game which encourages:

Murder on a massive scale
Sexual manipulation to get things done (Cass)
Violence against animals even if alien
Robbery (killing and selling loot)
Betrayal

The thing that upsets you though, despite all of this, is that some guy drops the F-bomb when his ship crashes and Dark Matter are out to kill everyone? Lolbrowut.

lmao this just made my day 2 thumbs up for this lol

Mivo
04-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Killing people in droves is fine, but hearing a few occasional swear words is unacceptable! Think of the kids!

;)

piedlpiper
04-16-2013, 12:24 AM

No, most buyers/players are not adults, they are kids. Then there is the issue of being overheard by children. You can turn off the NPC voices but you lose out in story line and info on your current and/or next quest. But bottom line, it is not needed. It's nothing to improve the game and to some people it takes away from the game.

Replace it with SyFy slang, PLEASE

Jitterbug
04-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Killing people in droves is fine, but hearing a few occasional swear words is unacceptable! Think of the kids!

;)

Yeah, you don't hate children? Do you?

Beats
04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
No, most buyers/players are not adults, they are kids. Then there is the issue of being overheard by children. You can turn off the NPC voices but you lose out in story line and info on your current and/or next quest. But bottom line, it is not needed. It's nothing to improve the game and to some people it takes away from the game.

Most purchaser are kids? Kid's can't buy M rated games, and if parents buy them without knowing what they are buying that is their fault entirely.

You are also forgetting, to some people it adds to the realism.

Most importantly of all why would anyone be upset about swearing, ever. Have you ever watched an R rated movie? Have you ever watched HBO or any other cable station? Have you ever watched late night comedy central (on occasion)? Do you live in a medium sized or larger city? If you answered yes to any of these, and still are outraged by swearing then I am just at a loss for words.

Kitten Mittons
04-16-2013, 12:26 AM

I'm afraid it DOES add to the game. Now I'm not the type to throw around foul language a lot, but I CAN recognize where it's appropriate. How weird would it be for someone in a life and death, really tough, situation to shout out "Oh, crumbs!". That would totally take me out of it. As for the slang... those are alien words. You can't expect everyone to be using alien words.

BattleTested
04-16-2013, 12:27 AM
No, most buyers/players are not adults, they are kids.

Parents way of handling there kids these days and why i dont agree being a house maker is a hard job they just let there kids play with ipads or iphones or sit them infront of a tv or video game while the parents do w/e. but then again i had no mother in my life she left when i was 4 while she cheated on my dad.

Phenomenal TJ
04-16-2013, 12:27 AM
Not sure if troll...

Nmalthus
04-16-2013, 12:37 AM
There's a reason why it's rated M.

ChipNinja
04-16-2013, 12:42 AM
your avatar tells me alot of things about you.

1. you are found to fake cgi rendering in my personal belief is a mental illness.
2. your not a adult yet
3. swearing is a healthy / normal part of life to reduce stress why most military members swear in / during combat and why ppl swear when there mad
4. Swearing is not harmful to anyone if you dont like it no one is forcing you to hear / be around that person or game

Don't lie to the trollkid. Most military members don't swear. I got chewed out by a POAG 1SG for swearing in a chow hall. Of course, him being slick sleeved didn't help his case either.

The combat bit is key - but POAGs have a different mentality about it I guess.

and yes a picture is stronger then words so it is vocal.

Which is why when we had an insurgent try to snipe out of range, **** you just wouldn't work. The finger always does the trick lol. Even the local nationals catch on after a while.

Seriously though, why the hell is a game where you blow a lot of people away in censored? Isn't that what the rating is supposed to cover? Can we get an optional filter or something? I mean seriously. When my buddy is dying on the ground, the last thing I would think to type when he calls for help is "Poop! I'm on my way!" Lol. Kind of odd how everyone is alright with the idea of blowing someone's skull inside out, but if you say **** they all have a **** fit.

So many thin skins. Maybe we outta make like the ROK and cycle everyone through the suck!

Jack Johnson
04-16-2013, 01:03 AM
Sometimes I feel they cuss for no good reason just to make the character seem more hardcore... but most of the time I don't have a problem with it.

Actually, I'm more bothered by the enemy using silly censor words in combat. Like, I'm blasting away at some Dark Matter and then an Enforcer goes "Oh shtako"... it just sounds silly. Especially since usually when characters are serious they'll use real cuss words and when they're joking around they use fake ones.

By the way, the syfy TV show is the reason we have stuff like jek and shtako. Can't cuss on TV if you want to get a wide audience.

ZombieTech
04-16-2013, 01:25 AM
It's the wastelands... vulgarity makes it seem more fitting or realistic. I'd almost think it wouldn't do it justice, as well as be very corny and out of place, if everybody talked super civilized and polite.

Now if anything might be "questionable" or "risque"... as far as the TV show is concerned at least... the "love making" scenes and such... even though they didn't show anything... to me at least, seemed a bit "farther" than I thought network television typically goes. Like the Nolan and the Bartender scene... even though the pilot episode did flow and feel more like a movie, nearly felt like it was just a small tip-toe away from qualifying for Cinemax (Skin-a-max) or something. :p

BattleTested
04-16-2013, 01:32 AM
^what lol even the news has half dressed 40 year old ugly females thinking there 20 year olds wearing tight skirts and short skirts

duction
04-16-2013, 01:47 AM
18+ game has 18+ content... Infind it hard to find swearing doesn't happern around your real life especially in work.

Chump Norris
04-16-2013, 01:50 AM
I agree with the OP and add that this game has too much violence.

Hexi
04-16-2013, 01:52 AM
The idiocy of being sensitive to words (rather than their intended context, as rationality would dictate) is luckily a US problem.

Hexi
04-16-2013, 01:53 AM

Nah, committing mass murder on an hourly basis is ok, as long as you don't say naughty words while/after doing it.

Miko
04-16-2013, 02:14 AM
anyone who starts off a complaint about something like this with "i dont consider myself prude" is pretty much guaranteed to be prude

Bad Instincts
04-16-2013, 02:18 AM
There is nothing vulgar in the game.

grog189
04-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Troll. Also this game is rated M yes?? So if you do not want to listen to it then go play your kid games.

Vidarr
04-16-2013, 02:22 AM
I think your average children's tv show comes out with more crazier things than a bit of vulgarity.

Dandrielas
04-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Troll. Also this game is rated M yes?? So if you do not want to listen to it then go play your kid games.

I would like to say thank you for the map link. I have been searching for that last hidden vendor.

SETit_allABLAZE
04-16-2013, 02:30 AM
Its Rated M...

Wtflag
04-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Where? A word only has a negative connotation if you assign it one.

For all you know schtako means hot babe or something. So when someone says he is in deep schtako ...

Kreedz
04-16-2013, 02:45 AM
My favourite was fighting the Raider's leader.

"Really?! I can swim, you ****ing Gorilla!"

What happens after just tops it off, made me laugh for a good minute straight.

Schwa
04-16-2013, 02:47 AM
If you don't like the wordie dirties, then stay away from M-rated games.

Technodude
04-16-2013, 03:42 AM
As others already mentioned OP isn't bothered by shooting someone in face with shotgun but he surely do mind bad words being said in game. :p

GT3000
04-16-2013, 03:46 AM
The curses I see is on this game's voice acting. With the exceptions of Ara Shondu and Noah Grant, every other character has been cringeworthy. Cass is by far the worst of the bunch. Solceptor is a close second.

The only problem I have with the bad words being thrown around the game is the incongruency that I can't curse (or at least disable to profanity filter) but everyone in-game can. A little annoying that Trion would have a double-standard.

Ralifur
04-16-2013, 04:02 AM

Sad to hear you wont try bioshock infinite if you think this game has too much violence.
The "best" game in history with the "best" story has more violence than this game. I suppose it also goes for horror games, age of conan, Skyrim, Borderlands franchise, Pretty much every shooter out there where chars can loose a leg or an arm, Chivalry, Darksiders, Devil may cry and feel free to mention more games onwards as well. :-)

Nomad N7
04-16-2013, 04:10 AM
You're such a Candy Ganchis. hahaha

Scorpio989
04-16-2013, 04:10 AM
What the frack is this?

chrismeyer34
04-16-2013, 04:21 AM
well it is an m rated game, and if vulgarity bothers you then you need to play a more child friendly game...this game was actually targeted towards adults and like always kids try to ruin it...it think the language is just fine, they use alternative words for curse words which has been a big thing, like battlestar galactiga, firefly etc etc...but if you dont like the language in an adult game then you might want to go somewhere else lol

chrismeyer34
04-16-2013, 04:23 AM
As others already mentioned OP isn't bothered by shooting someone in face with shotgun but he surely do mind bad words being said in game. :p

agreed lol, sounds like a kid to me...it is an adult game but he complains about cursing?...what the frack is that shtako talking about lmao

chrismeyer34
04-16-2013, 04:24 AM

i agree, and thats the problem with letting kids on these kinds of things lol

Buu
04-16-2013, 04:25 AM

IMOO

You use a pin-up Caitlin as avatar and come complain about vulgarity? Wait, what?

chrismeyer34
04-16-2013, 04:29 AM

its funny how you say this game has too much violence but your tag says " here's some cheese to go with your whine "...too funny, whine much about the game?, then dont play it, it is an m rated game, play a child game if you dont like the way this game is then my man

DrNoesis
04-16-2013, 04:31 AM
M rated game.

Worthy of a mention though, is that swearing "helps reduce pain" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8147170.stm)...

To be honest, I hear worse language going down to the shops for a pack of cigarettes (often aimed at me because I dare to continue smoking... its getting to be like the only way one group of people can abuse another group without being accused of being an "ism"... but I digress) than i do within this game.

I'm all for proper use of a good swear word, and despite what most chav's would have you believe, there is a time and a place for an f-bomb, and its not every other word in a sentence. Overuse devalues a good swear, especially when done inappropriately.

I don't think the situations in Defiance are all that inappropriate. We're dealing with situations where live's are at stake, weapons are drawn and there is some urgency and need to draw attention to what is said. The swearing achieves this in a way which is pretty natural and "human" for the bulk of the intended player base.

I think that in terms of battles to fight, trying to pick on use of language in an M rated game, in a post apocalyptic environment with regular scenes of violence and torture (trees with hanging, burned corpses for example) is a little naive and I suspect even Ned Flanders would struggle to keep his conversation firmly rooted in the "diddly doodly" clean and kiddy friendly under such conditions.

Mawl
04-16-2013, 04:31 AM
i use more vulgar language before 10:01 am than this game does throughout an entire play through, and i wake up at 10 am

SHaDoWeD_SiN
04-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Someone should've read the ESRB rating. I mean it's only on the back of EVERY game box to INFORM the customer of what kind of content to expect. All I can do is laugh at the OP's ignorance and stupidity on this one.

Silly OP, grown-up games aren't for kids. :)

chrismeyer34
04-16-2013, 04:33 AM

;)

this is an m rated game, not for kids...you do know the msrb rating system right?...thats why they have a rating system...you dont like curse words then im sure they have a tellytubbies game for you to play...the game is just fine, the language in the game is just fine

chrismeyer34
04-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Someone should've read the ESRB rating. I mean it's only on the back of EVERY game box to INFORM the customer of what kind of content to expect. All I can do is laugh at the OP's ignorance and stupidity on this one.

agreed, and they blame games for violence, NOT!!!! its people's stupidity like the op's thats responsible for violence cuz they dont know how to read lmao...they need to ban these little kids from this game

Rhorge
04-16-2013, 04:35 AM
The game doesn't even have that much cursing in it anyway. Toning it down would reduce it into almost nothing. If you get so easily upset by bad words then maybe you shouldn't play M rated games.

mushinwolf
04-16-2013, 04:36 AM
Kinda opened up Pandora's box on this one eh OP?

chrismeyer34
04-16-2013, 04:39 AM
The game doesn't even have that much cursing in it anyway. Toning it down would reduce it into almost nothing. If you get so easily upset by bad words then maybe you shouldn't play M rated games.

agreed, then itll make the game suck and turn it into a " kiddie " game, which it was never intended to be lol

chrismeyer34
04-16-2013, 04:41 AM

yep, and every adult game that comes out youll have stupid kiddies trying to ruin it, trion needs to ban accts that have to an adult to sign for their kids so they can play these games...like you said, grown-up games arent for kids and these kids need to stay off

MirrorStream
04-16-2013, 04:46 AM

IMOO
and please add pink ponies ****ting rainbow in the game! IMOO

Antherage
04-16-2013, 04:52 AM
I think it all worked out for me. Jon Cooper curses the most out of everyone and when he curses it doesn't seem forced at all to me. I think it added just enough.

Also, the guy who spoke about your avatar is right. Blowing the heads off 99ers and watching blood spray into the air and avatar's like yours... well...

They are just words, afterall.

Rhorge
04-16-2013, 05:01 AM
I think it all worked out for me. Jon Cooper curses the most out of everyone and when he curses it doesn't seem forced at all to me. I think it added just enough.

Santana Murphy curses way more, but he is a drug filled psycho after all.

Chump Norris
04-16-2013, 05:13 AM
its funny how you say this game has too much violence but your tag says " here's some cheese to go with your whine "...too funny, whine much about the game?, then dont play it, it is an m rated game, play a child game if you dont like the way this game is then my man

The game would be so much better if it was just pillow fights and compliments.

darius359au
04-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Mass killing and exploding badguys/critters is fine but a couple of naughty words is bad.......gotta wonder about some peoples priority's there.

Lambchops
04-16-2013, 05:24 AM
No, most buyers/players are not adults, they are kids.

This is a fallacy. Statistically speaking, there are more adult gamers then minor gamers. Adults purchase and play significantly more games then children. Hell, the latest statistics have adult *females* purchasing and playing more games then children.

This is a stereotype that needs to die, because it is simply not true.

Dalton
04-16-2013, 05:29 AM
This is a fallacy. Statistically speaking, there are more adult gamers then minor gamers. Adults purchase significantly more games then children. Hell, the latest statistics have adult *females* purchasing more games then children.

This is a stereotype that needs to die, because it is simply not true.

Well the game is rated M for mature (17+), So if you can't handle the language you shouldn't play it. Kids should not even be playing the game at all. If they are playing, they are breaking the law. Nuff said

RNW
04-16-2013, 05:29 AM
If anything, i would ask for more of those words and expressions, not less. Are you f***ing crazy? Or are you 8yrs old? The game has a PEGI 18 Rating, meaning if you are younger than 18 you "shouldn't be playing". But since noone actually respects that crap and plays anyway, get over it and let us enjoy the game. The whole game is a battlefield, not a church or a playground. We want MORE bad language, MORE sexual content and expressions, and MORE gore and violence in the freaking graphics, and the story.

If you are looking for a playground, go play sims or something. Don't ruin it for the rest of us, end of story.

Plus, have you seen any trailer for the defiance TV-series? LOL! If not, do so! ... surprise!
Get over it

Rhorge
04-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Well the game is rated M for mature (17+), So if you can't handle the language you shouldn't play it. Kids should not even be playing the game at all. If they are playing, they are breaking the law. Nuff said

No, they are simply not allowed to purchase it. People under 17 can still play the game with the consent of their carers.

Rastan
04-16-2013, 05:35 AM

IMOO

Hello kitty island adventure. For people who need things toned down a bit.

Jelleh
04-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Damn, I can't tell if this chrismeyer34 person is for real. They're falling for every troll in this thread.

Elric1
04-16-2013, 05:39 AM
I don't see a mother smurfin issue and I think you need to pull your own smurf out of your smurf and stick in your mouth and blow. Gonna give us smurf about smurfin things they have no smurfin clue about .. stupid smurfin tool... =)

Lambchops
04-16-2013, 05:40 AM

They aren't breaking any law by playing it. In fact as it currently stands, ESRB ratings are not legally binding for purchases either. I'm not sure how they handle it in Europe, so I can't speak to it there.

But I agree with your point as far as kids should not be playing games that are rated M or higher. Those ratings exist for a reason, and even adults that can't handle certain subject matter have only themselves to blame for buying a game despite content ratings.

Elric1
04-16-2013, 05:42 AM
This is a fallacy. Statistically speaking, there are more adult gamers then minor gamers. Adults purchase and play significantly more games then children. Hell, the latest statistics have adult *females* purchasing and playing more games then children.

This is a stereotype that needs to die, because it is simply not true. Well I have to say the troll proved inbreeding is alive and well because anyone playing this under 17 shouldn't be period. The game says matuee and apprently just proves how many immature parents there are raising such an issue for a game ment for 17+. OP you have no excuse. your an r ****.