PDA

View Full Version : Temperatures

Cruize
04-16-2013, 01:17 AM
Is it normal for my laptop to run this game and have gpu temps maximum of 85? While cpu temps peak at around 80-81

GT3000
04-16-2013, 01:58 AM
What's the brand/model?

Valethar
04-16-2013, 02:01 AM
With settings on High, it can push my GTX 465 that high even with the fan at 80%.

Cruize
04-16-2013, 02:57 AM
What's the brand/model?
Its an asus g53sx

Cpu i7-2630qm
Gpu gtx560m

Also I didnt do anything at the video settings except turn off motion blur but it was preset to custom

GT3000
04-16-2013, 04:01 AM
Its an asus g53sx

Cpu i7-2630qm
Gpu gtx560m

Also I didnt do anything at the video settings except turn off motion blur but it was preset to custom

Oh boy, I like ASUS but their G series is the very definition of ricer gaymer junk. Good first step would be getting a nice big can of compressed air and blowing out the vents. However due to poor application of thermal paste by ASUS (and many other manufacturers) and the lack of proper airflow there isn't much you can do. G53SXes routinely reach 90C when under load. You can't adjust fan speed since they're locked but I can recommend you get a laptop cooler as that will drop it by some degrees if you're using it as a DTR. Dem's da breaks.

I can't advise you open the laptop to reapply the paste as you can fry your computer if you're not careful. It's not worth it, any case. The airflow is absolute junk on those GRs.

Cruize
04-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Oh boy, I like ASUS but their G series is the very definition of ricer gaymer junk. Good first step would be getting a nice big can of compressed air and blowing out the vents. However due to poor application of thermal paste by ASUS (and many other manufacturers) and the lack of proper airflow there isn't much you can do. G53SXes routinely reach 90C when under load. You can't adjust fan speed since they're locked but I can recommend you get a laptop cooler as that will drop it by some degrees if you're using it as a DTR. Dem's da breaks.

I can't advise you open the laptop to reapply the paste as you can fry your computer if you're not careful. It's not worth it, any case. The airflow is absolute junk on those GRs.

Hahaha cheers for the reply man, I will try to get a can of compressed air, and heres to me saving for a desktop :)

SeekersLegacy
04-16-2013, 04:58 AM
A nice instant fix is to have a portable fan blowing on your laptop at all time like me. No matter what anyone says, it's effective, no risks or anything like that. It's an excellent solution. It will always keep your laptop from getting too pretty much no matter what the circumstances, every time.

GT3000
04-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Hahaha cheers for the reply man, I will try to get a can of compressed air, and heres to me saving for a desktop :)

If you sell the laptop you could probably fund a really nice desktop, if that's what you're looking to do. As always I suggest http://www.logicalincrements.com/ since they provide updated (monthly) build lists by price. It's a fantastic guide.

Ciannon
04-16-2013, 05:36 AM

That's funny.

I've had a G-series for 3 years, and it's never failed me.

Cruize
04-16-2013, 05:38 AM
Well I hope someone in my country would want to buy it so I can get a desktop or maybe just save up a bit and get a desktop as well, I find the laptop very handy atm.

GT3000
04-16-2013, 05:41 AM
That's funny.

I've had a G-series for 3 years, and it's never failed me.

I never said it was a bad laptop. It's just got poor thermal management and ASUS does a sloppy job on thermal paste application. It does in fact run quite hot. Fine laptop otherwise. Not my first choice but I prefer business-class laptops because they're typically much tougher built as I'm a road warrior with mine.

Indolo
04-16-2013, 06:20 AM
Second the laptop cooler. Just make sure it's one that has good airflow. I had an Antec one several years ago when I only had a laptop for gaming and it helped a lot. Gotta be careful with that heat on laptops wearing out the components fast.

Cruize
04-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Thing is the G53SX laptop has a different vent ports, :O