PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Fees?

Grey
11-17-2012, 05:12 AM
I'm an owner of an xbox 360 and I'm wondering if there will be a monthly fee? :confused:
It may stop me from buying the game, I have no reason to pay for monthly fees and my gold membership.

Or will it mirco-transactions, that I could handle.

Jenbuu
11-17-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm an owner of an xbox 360 and I'm wondering if there will be a monthly fee? :confused:
It may stop me from buying the game, I have no reason to pay for monthly fees and my gold membership.

There has been nothing yet said about the way for paying for the game, other then it will be a hybrid model so think maybe gw2 or a freemium game

Darky
11-17-2012, 09:03 AM

Thats why i switched to PS3, paying for XBL Gold and other services like Netflix, Hulu+ didn't feels right i mean folks at PS3 can enjoy almost the same services on Xbox with out paying fee for there PSN.
So as a PS3 user it won't affect me if this game adapted monthly subscription model.

RexxDoom
11-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I own an xbox also. I don't want a monthly fee either, but it won't deter me from buying as long as it's not too expensive.

Vega
11-18-2012, 03:24 AM
          

vampero
11-18-2012, 03:38 AM

I'm hoping they do it the right way and do it like Guild Wars 2, a very good micro transaction store that does not nickel and dime you to death. Plus you can't pay to win ! A monthly fee for Defiance would kill the game because Xbox 360 and PS3 users will not pay a monthly fee to play a FPS/MMO game. You better believe that too !

PS: Why do you think CoD:Elite is free now for CoD:BO2,because console gamers don't want to pay for it. You can get it here :https://elite.callofduty.com/news/xbox?redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Felite.callofduty.co m%2Fplayer%2Fhome

Shadinaxx
11-18-2012, 09:16 AM
If there's a sub, the general market is that it is very rarely over 14.95 per month, and sometimes covers the costs for content expansions, however MAJOR expansions will still have a cost, albeit between the 39-45 dollar mark, if the retail of the original game is 60. Some games have a 9.95 sub fee with a free client download (no initial cost to the game other than a sub), with a deluxe download option that gives you a bonus perk or three.

I can understand console gamers not wanting to pay a sub, but, the MMO market has been working on a varied sort of subs for over a decade. The first console MMO I can think of was FFXI, which also had a sub, as well as a surcharge for each character slot. It's a business, with a constantly changing world, as well as integration to the show. There will be SOMETHING to cover that expense, and I'd rather a sub, than something you have to purchase each time you play. Alot of times, when it's something you have to purchase, such as tokens for content access, or paying for ammo, fuel, etc, it becomes alot more along the lines of a "pay to advance" game. At least with a sub, or even "freemium" setup, it keeps players balanced without opening up to wallet warriors.

I'm sure we'll get a chance to voice our opinion when they announce their intended marketting model, and if they see alot of "no sales" on a certain model, they'll change it. Until then, it's pure speculation and we all get high blood pressure thinking of the worst, lol

vampero
11-18-2012, 05:47 PM
If there's a sub, the general market is that it is very rarely over 14.95 per month, and sometimes covers the costs for content expansions, however MAJOR expansions will still have a cost, albeit between the 39-45 dollar mark, if the retail of the original game is 60. Some games have a 9.95 sub fee with a free client download (no initial cost to the game other than a sub), with a deluxe download option that gives you a bonus perk or three.

I can understand console gamers not wanting to pay a sub, but, the MMO market has been working on a varied sort of subs for over a decade. The first console MMO I can think of was FFXI, which also had a sub, as well as a surcharge for each character slot. It's a business, with a constantly changing world, as well as integration to the show. There will be SOMETHING to cover that expense, and I'd rather a sub, than something you have to purchase each time you play. Alot of times, when it's something you have to purchase, such as tokens for content access, or paying for ammo, fuel, etc, it becomes alot more along the lines of a "pay to advance" game. At least with a sub, or even "freemium" setup, it keeps players balanced without opening up to wallet warriors.

I'm sure we'll get a chance to voice our opinion when they announce their intended marketting model, and if they see alot of "no sales" on a certain model, they'll change it. Until then, it's pure speculation and we all get high blood pressure thinking of the worst, lol

That why FFXI never lasted on a console

whoiscraig
11-18-2012, 10:43 PM
I bought a lifetime supscription to TSW because I knew I wouldn't be able to afford a monthly subscription - so I'm hoping there's a way for me to avoid it for Defiance too. If its a fee per month then I will probably just play for one month only, then cancel my account, but I want to play Defiance for longer than that.

Vega
11-18-2012, 10:55 PM
          

Shadinaxx
11-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Then its agreed by all then. The game should not charge a monthly fee but should offer a special member service in which you pay to have access to really awesome in game bonus content which includes stuff like unique armour, unique weapons, access to rare missions, bonus storyline, maybe a ingame house, special contests to win cool Defiance gear(real), as well as access to upcoming previews of all thing Defiance show/game.:D I'd buy that for a dollar or 20 a month

Not really something I wanna see, that basically means wallet warrior. Yea, the extra stuff would be nice, but should be accessable by all, especially when it comes to gear. Do like SWTOR has just done, limit how much storage space you can use, how much of whatever kind of trade market you can use, end game specific raids make access on a micro transaction basis. However, I would have to throw my vote (if it means anything) to saying that anything purchaseable through real market currency would have to be limited to indirect game commodities.

@Vampero: FFXI was only 1 example, and iirc, the japanese sales were mostly on the PSN, who also seemed to always corner the market on all NMs for the needed quest gear etc. At least on the server I played (Asura). My point was that Consoles are new to MMO's, they've been begging for it, and the last 10-15 years, MMO's have been subbed. So, my answer to console gamers that are gonna whine about a sub on an MMO: wait and see, or get a job, my 12 year old nephew is saving every penny he can earn so he can pay for the game, and a year's subscription (if the marketting model is subbed). Can't be that hard to come up with 200 bucks in a year.

If it is the PSN sub fee, ontop of the internet access fees, and then the game fees, talk to PSN. MAYBE, if the game goes subbed, the sub fee will be included with the PSN membership fees. Let's face it, you buy a car, you pay for the fuel AND the maintenance, and the insurance, it's not included with the dealership fees. Same thing, just a differant potatoe.

vampero
11-19-2012, 04:04 AM
Do like SWTOR has just done, limit how much storage space you can use, how much of whatever kind of trade market you can use, end game specific raids make access on a micro transaction basis. However, I would have to throw my vote (if it means anything) to saying that anything purchaseable through real market currency would have to be limited to indirect game commodities.

NO WAY ! SWTOR is the worst F2P system out there..paying for extra quick bars to put your skills on them. Random luck on getting items you want with you Cartel Coins ! Locking you to just two Characters to play. If Defiance goes the SWTOR way , I won't play Defiance. If they do it like Guild Wars 2 I will jump in with open arms !

JellyBean
11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
The real problem is that alot of PC players won't mind paying a monthly subscription, while console players either already pay for xbox live or are mostly unwilling to pay a subscription fee. I'll have to admit paying sixty bucks for a game then being blocked out of a certain area and having to give up credit card info is a BIG damper.

vampero
11-19-2012, 01:36 PM
The real problem is that alot of PC players won't mind paying a monthly subscription, while console players either already pay for xbox live or are mostly unwilling to pay a subscription fee. I'll have to admit paying sixty bucks for a game then being blocked out of a certain area and having to give up credit card info is a BIG damper.

Well said my friend ! You get it !

Vega
11-19-2012, 10:35 PM
          

Shadinaxx
11-20-2012, 12:42 AM
NO WAY ! SWTOR is the worst F2P system out there..paying for extra quick bars to put your skills on them. Random luck on getting items you want with you Cartel Coins ! Locking you to just two Characters to play. If Defiance goes the SWTOR way , I won't play Defiance. If they do it like Guild Wars 2 I will jump in with open arms !

I dont think it's quickbars, I'll have to jump on to check, I thought it was purelly storage, which was the focus of my post. SWTOR is flawed period, I only use it as a referance to something "new(ish)". Being able to purchase end game content access with cartel coins, instead of being forced to go full sub = nice.

ALL this is hinged only on speculation, so before we all go red faced and get our knickers all twisted up over it, let's wait an see what the pros have planned. THEN we can bring out the helium bottles and go pscyho gnomes :)

Like Jellybean said, PC gamers are more willing to pay a sub than consoles, and it's NOT the deveolper's fault for that, it's Xbox Live and Sony. Take it up with them, or wait and see.

Taiphoz
11-20-2012, 11:21 AM
The second, and I do mean the second I see any kinda of item store that sells anything that makes my character stronger, healthier, shoot better or do more damage or gain more experiance faster I will take my PC copy and my sons XBOX copy of the game and smash them with a really large really heavy hammer.

The item mall freemium,free to play what ever the hell you want to call it model, has and is ruining the gaming industry, and I am thankful to those developers who are staying true to the monthly subscription system.

I **** you not, go near item malling and I and many many many others will be gone faster than you can blink.

vampero
11-20-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm totally against paying for bs power bonus, stat increase, or special weapons that can give someone an advantage.

Someone correct me if I'm work but Defiance is continually evolving game? It coincides with a continually evolving show. So how will the developers keep getting paid to update the game? Lets face it that sales decline heavily after the initial release of a game and the gaming market is worse off this year with a 25% drop in revenue compared to last year. Its either expansion packs or subscription that will keep the game going long term or else it turns into the same old PvP with the same maps being played over and over.

We all need to keep posting this stuff on what we feel ,so In the end Defiance will be something you want to love to log in to.

Augustus
11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
The second, and I do mean the second I see any kinda of item store that sells anything that makes my character stronger, healthier, shoot better or do more damage or gain more experience faster...

I was with you on the first four. Or, for that matter, anything that gives an advantage in combat.
But, the last (redundancy aside) I'm OK with. Assuming Trion is smart about PvP mechanics, increased experience doesn't have any real impact on a fight.

The company needs a revenue stream for continued development. And purely cosmetic stuff won't cut if they want extra money from me. I'd pay for an xp boost, but not for looks.

Vega
11-21-2012, 05:46 AM
Call me old fashion but I'm a guy who likes to earn things instead of getting handed bonuses cause I slipped somebody an extra 20 dollar bill. I don't ever want to see a walkthrough written for someone who won't take the time figure how to deal with an ingame problem the way that I would. What's the point of playing a game if you are not using the most important skill(brain power) to figure the best way to survive a heavy combat situation or deal with a puzzle that unlocks some hidden mystery. Paying for upgrades might as well be called cheating.

Carnak
11-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Then its agreed by all then.

Said on the basis of nine forum posts...

Did I miss an apocalypse?

Shadinaxx
11-21-2012, 07:23 PM
The truth is, when micro transactions are put into a game, most of the time the hottest "items" are ones that allow access to higher level or tier gear/items/etc at a lower level, xp boosts, consumable items that restore your health/energy/etc, and "gamble packs" where you spend x amount of money for a chance at a random item. Dont get me wrong, I seldomly ever stick with a game with that kind of market strategy, because the next step is a "VIP" status, based on how much you spend.

Based on the variety of opinions posted here and in similer threads, there's not alot of options for our wonderful creative devs and all the staff that make this game and show possible, to make ANY money. Most item mall ideas are scrapped, except for things that are rarely purchased. Subscriptions have been met with a resounding "no" by alot of people. So what else is left?

GW2 model: you dont ever have to pay anything except for the retail value of the game, BUT there are "premium" items you can get through playing the game and rarish "drops" to get (the black chest keys I think), to open some of the locked chests. Most of the time those chests have vials of dye for visual customization, but also sometimes have actual items. You cannot purchse the chests using real world money, but you can open them using real world money.

SWTOR model: (I logged in to check) yes you are limited to 2 quick bars unless you purchase them (subscribers get full access to ALL locked things), you dont get titles, legacy names, or the option to hide head slot items, you can purchase cosmetic gear (that can be modified with real stats for effective gear), xp boosts, as well as content areas. Essentially, you can purchase what interests you, but you cannot purchase the best end game gear. The closest thing you can do is purchase light crystals of equal stat value to raid level gear, and it's a unique (altho ugly imo) color.

WoW model: Subscription, subscription and more subscriptions

Eve model: I like this one. It's a subscription, but, you can purchase GTC (Game Time Codes) using in game currency, and not just player to player, the game company "seeds" (plants the items into the market) the GTCs at high price. In game currency, for the average player, takes almost a month of casually playing to make the needed money to buy a code. Alternativly, player owned structures, corperations, alliances, etc, COST in game currency to maintain, so many organizations will buy the GTCs and then sell them, effectivly eliminating "gold sellers" by making their services redundant.

If we are allowed guild housing, territory, etc, I could see us having a very viable option with adopting some of the eve model. I would WANT guild housing to be expensive to maintain, especially if we are allowed multiple territories.

I would be perfectly happy with a hybrid model, using a sub (between 4.95 and 9.95 per month, not a full 14.95), and being able to purchase certain in game items with real world currency, that can be traded to other players, like the GTC, or treasure keys found in GW2, etc. In addition, I could live with paying for expansions, as long as they are within reason. (Would expect an expansion with each season of the show).

Lastly, I would NOT want a premium currency in the game, if people purchase things with real world money, then sell the items in game, the only tradeable currency should be the one that everyone uses. No mall points, no cartel coins, etc

Carnak
11-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Based on the variety of opinions posted here and in similer threads, there's not alot of options for our wonderful creative devs and all the staff that make this game and show possible, to make ANY money.

Product placement and in-game advertising.

The way advertising works is the more people you subject it to, the more money you make. The lower the cost of the game to players, the more players / advertising consumers you'll have.

If they could organise enough advertising then the most profitable model for them might be one that has neither subscription nor cash shop.

I doubt that's what we'll see though. For them to have even made the 'hybrid' comment suggests some cost to players.

Shadinaxx
11-22-2012, 12:46 AM
I honestly couldnt see many people throwing a fit over a $5/month sub fee. Let's face it, F2P has a very bad reputation that alot of people stay away from, simply because of the type of player base that gravitates to it. You make an investment, and when you break the rules, you have a risk to lose that investment. F2P you simply change your IP and MAC address, then make a new account and all you've wasted is time, and you can go about your business being a numbnut. With a sub, you can still get around being a jerk, but you would have to change your credit card info as well, or at least pay for a sub. A sub also has more "policing" of bad behaving players, as a general rule, with providing a service the PLAYERS pay for, the PLAYERS hold the power over commerce, and when a few stand up an make playing the game un-enjoyable for the rest, the PAYING players get listened to and things happen quicker.

I'm not saying that Trion wont listen to it's playerbase, even if the game doesnt cost us even a penny. I'm pretty convinced that Trion would listen to us even if they paid for our internet and services. However, alot of player made complaints are only a fraction of of how many players were actually affected, and when you pay for your time in game, each player has more of a tendancy to speak up and say "hey, this guy is being a total (colorful adjective here) and is violating normal conduct as outlined in the EULA"

Vega
11-22-2012, 10:28 AM
          

TheBizz
11-23-2012, 04:26 PM
If there is a payment fee, I hope there are options for it like pay once for 10 years or something like that.

Fikticio
11-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Ye, free to play, buy to play, fee or no fee?

I do not know what will be the path that they are going to choose, i will play the game anyway.

I just whant to suggest this.

If: full free to play - dont make it buy to win, dont sell UI parts, dont make us having to buy a key to open loot.

If: Just buy to play - same as in the free to play ...

If: you go with a fee - dont put a game store.

What i suggest:
- go the guild wars 1 way.
As we can already guess that the game will certainly get big updates with the beginning of each season of the TV show, you should then, make the game buy to play and make the updates or expantions, as you will call them, to be paid. And have no monthly fee. Of course you may have a convenience store with some premium currency. But as I said before dont go the route of the buy to win of any kind.
- What i would see in the store:
.. XP boost
.. rename
.. some dyes for the Quad
.. mabe some fun armors
.. effects changer, (ex: make explosions pink or blue)
.. etc...
If the game is good if the store is appeling, players will spend money.

Keep up the good work TRION, i am loving the game.

Carlos Spicy Weiner
11-25-2012, 07:08 PM
After playing Star Trek Online for the last three years, and seeing the differences in a game under different pay models. I can say that I would prefer a game with a regular subscription to one that is free to play.

When STO launched there was a 15 dollar sub fee and a small cash shop that sold mostly cosmetic upgrades. Under that model the game got regular Story content updates, and new missions. Once the game went free to play, story content and new mission development ground to a hault. The developers now are more interested in releasing new cash shop items.

Under a pay to play model the developers are forced to pump out content that people want to play. Without something to do folks will cancel their subs. Under a free to play model Developers have to devote their time to pumping out those new shinies to get you to keep spending.

satyre74
11-26-2012, 08:26 AM
It doesn't really matter to me if it's F2P or pay to play. I agree with Shadinaxx in that with the pay to play models, even it's just a 5$ sub, then people tend to behave a little better and tend to be more mature (there are always exceptions to the rule). This also eliminates the banned players from doing what Shadinaxx said, which is to change IP/MAC and create a new account.

Amazingy
12-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Then its agreed by all then. The game should not charge a monthly fee but should offer a special member service in which you pay to have access to really awesome in game bonus content which includes stuff like unique armour, unique weapons, access to rare missions, bonus storyline, maybe a ingame house, special contests to win cool Defiance gear(real), as well as access to upcoming previews of all thing Defiance show/game.:D I'd buy that for a dollar or 20 a month

I completely agree with this. I know other games that do something similar to this and it seems to work for them

Suun Brakur
12-02-2012, 09:31 AM

I would pay a yearly membership for this.

NitroMidgets
12-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Could do it like Firefall did and have a Founders Package and then have the standard micro transactions. Nothing that would ever buy power or an edge though.

Demoniku22
12-02-2012, 02:40 PM
I myself believe that Defiance will operate like guild wars 2 seeing how it is being backed by a tv show. This is what SyFy wants, a cross medium entertainment. if they do have a subscription base they know that is alot of players they wont have. They want that fanbase going back and forth between the game and the show, getting envolved. Im not gonna b.s. that potential money going out the window, cuz not everyone wants to pay for a service on top of alot of other services they already have.

I know I myself for one do not want a subsription base, cuz I like many other gamers don't want to be limited to a single game do to the fact that we can't afford the purchase game and 10,000 subsriptions. Thats just my opinion,and if Defiance does go sub based ( even with as pumped as I am for both the game and show) I won't be purchasing, but I do have a feeling it will be F2P just like GW2, seeing how its backed by SyFy and they want people on both.

vampero
12-02-2012, 06:21 PM
I myself believe that Defiance will operate like guild wars 2 seeing how it is being backed by a tv show. This is what SyFy wants, a cross medium entertainment. if they do have a subscription base they know that is alot of players they wont have. They want that fanbase going back and forth between the game and the show, getting envolved. Im not gonna b.s. that potential money going out the window, cuz not everyone wants to pay for a service on top of alot of other services they already have.

I know I myself for one do not want a subsription base, cuz I like many other gamers don't want to be limited to a single game do to the fact that we can't afford the purchase game and 10,000 subsriptions. Thats just my opinion,and if Defiance does go sub based ( even with as pumped as I am for both the game and show) I won't be purchasing, but I do have a feeling it will be F2P just like GW2, seeing how its backed by SyFy and they want people on both.
That would be the best way to go with Defiance is the Guild Wars 2 Way, buy the game and play for free. The in Game Store is the best ever made from any MMO maker, you don't feel forced to buy things from the store . That is why I spent money in the store no problem . There are people who play Xbox360 and PS3 don't want to pay monthly fee's for any game . That is why CoD Elite is free now

Siantlark
12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Could do it like Firefall did and have a Founders Package and then have the standard micro transactions. Nothing that would ever buy power or an edge though.

This could work. They could also just do the Buy2Play scenario and not charge a subscription so as to not double dip their players. That'd work a lot better in building trust between the devs and the community instead of separating free players from paying players like what was stated above. Having unique weapons, missions and content for people who pay only servers the split the community and doesn't show very well on the developers.

Edit: ... NitroMidgets! HAI!

SparklingNugs
12-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I hope there aren't monthly fees. I'm going to be getting this for Xbox; if there were fees, I'm sure many people would end up avoiding the game (I cant think of a game that has them).

NitroMidgets
12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Edit: ... NitroMidgets! HAI!
Hey buddy! Good to see you outside of the other forums.

Plasma
12-06-2012, 12:08 AM
i can see this game being a micro game but i all so see their being a box price seeing as how high the production cost will be for this game, their is a good opportunity for trion to sell guns and mods in a shop i just hope they offer the same or equal items from drops in the world as well.
me personally i never use shops i prefer to pay a sub and work for my item but i do see the option for micro in the market, devs seem to be making interesting free game that work a lot better then they did in the past the stigma is dissipating on F2P

Golgo28
12-11-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm hoping they do it the right way and do it like Guild Wars 2, a very good micro transaction store that does not nickel and dime you to death. Plus you can't pay to win ! A monthly fee for Defiance would kill the game because Xbox 360 and PS3 users will not pay a monthly fee to play a FPS/MMO game. You better believe that too !

PS: Why do you think CoD:Elite is free now for CoD:BO2,because console gamers don't want to pay for it. You can get it here :https://elite.callofduty.com/news/xbox?redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Felite.callofduty.co m%2Fplayer%2Fhome

actually plenty of xbox360 and ps3 users would pay a monthly fee.lots of xbox360 users play final fantasy 11 online.and that has a monthly fee.if trion does charge a fee then they need to make sure the do like SE did,and demand the game can be played even on the free silver accounts.though most likely it will use a micro transaction format that is becoming more and more common in mmos.the reason nobody didnt want to pay for cod elite is cause it was just a social stat tracking app.

Amazingy
12-11-2012, 07:58 PM
actually plenty of xbox360 and ps3 users would pay a monthly fee.lots of xbox360 users play final fantasy 11 online.and that has a monthly fee.if trion does charge a fee then they need to make sure the do like SE did,and demand the game can be played even on the free silver accounts.though most likely it will use a micro transaction format that is becoming more and more common in mmos.the reason nobody didnt want to pay for cod elite is cause it was just a social stat tracking app.

Me, being an xbox user, agree with vampero on this. I don't think i could play this on the xbox with a monthly fee. Maybe for a little while, but then i'd realize that plus gold is wearing down my finances and play something else.

stormaaron
12-11-2012, 08:17 PM
I hope there aren't monthly fees. I'm going to be getting this for Xbox; if there were fees, I'm sure many people would end up avoiding the game (I cant think of a game that has them).

i agree with you there I would pay due to the fact its gonna be a awesome game but if it subscription based they would lose so many console gamers

Fiancee
12-12-2012, 08:31 AM
I dont mind paying sub fee myself, but I gotta say I hope they go without or even F2P with a shop, shooter market is freaking ruthless.

Carnak
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Personally be quite happy to pay a box price and sub for this game. Others have expressed they'd rather not.

I think one consideration not getting much attention here but which I'm sure Trion and SyFy are thinking about is the transmedia aspects. Which payment model will best capitalise on that?

Typically even less popular sci-fi shows garner a much bigger audience than most MMOs. If the TV show is decent (fingers crossed) then worldwide their audience could be in the millions.

Which model will get more of those people into the game and generating revenue?

If they can generate decent revenue in the game from eg. advertising / product placement then I could see them going completely f2p with a cash shop. Lowest barrier to entry (needing to download the game) possible.

If they do have a box price and or sub then I'd expect them to have a free trial from the start.

AmazingPatt
12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
i agree with you there I would pay due to the fact its gonna be a awesome game but if it subscription based they would lose so many console gamers

well what monster hunter did for 360 is you pay 1400ms point for month but they included 1month of xbox live so technically you don't lose your live doing so . i will not mind paying so but i still prefer guild wars style . pay once and pay for major expansion

Carnak
12-13-2012, 12:53 PM
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31361&storypage=2

We haven’t picked one 100% yet, but we’re looking at a boxed product, so you’ll go to the store and you’ll buy it, or potentially download it through something like PSN. And then you have a choice – it’s dual – where you can decide “I want to pick things and pay for them piecemeal”, or “I can pick a subscription, and get all of that stuff as I go, and get all of the DLC free as long as I’m subscribed.”

If the subscription really does include everything - i.e. there's nothing in the cash shop I can't get just from playing the game - then that sounds good to me.

Shadinaxx
12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Most of the "no sub" comments come from live and psn players, it looks like. But then, live and psn dont have alot of genres that are true MMO's. See, an MMO is similer to an ongoing premium TV series, we'll say "Sparticus" for example. Sparticus is aired on Starz or one of those premium cable channels, that in order to watch it (straight up, not download from a streaming website), you have to pay a subscription fee. Doesnt matter of you are direct tv, comcast, cox cable, or stealing it from your neighbor's cable, you still have to at least look like you are a subscriber.

MMO's are similer in that it is ongoing content that you, as the player are your own star in the world of whatever MMO you are playing. Sure, you can crack the source code an play on your own private server (for free), but you wont get the same things as the live servers. MMO's ARE, in fact, shifting their marketting to move away from reliance on subscriptions, but face it, one way or another, to get fresh content, good working servers and a staff that is ontop of any problems... They have to get paid. A market of "free" does not pay the bills.

With a hybrid marketting system, the knowledge we have so far, is that they will allow you to play (similer to the GW2 model), but they encourage you to pay a subscription, so you dont need to pay for micro transactions. I like the option of paying ontop of the sub fee, for things like xp boosts, character customization perks, etc, but I've been on PC MMO platforms for a long time, and I guess I've just come to understand how the system works better.

In b4 the "there's free MMO's!"

Yes, there are free mmo's, but compare their quality to full blown "AAA" rated games such as this release. I could say there are $1.99 games on steam, why cant I have asassin's creed or Halo 4 for that?

TL;DR - I like the proposed idea of the sub and non sub, I will be subbing, should it remain an option.

Grey
02-06-2013, 01:59 AM
:I Love you people, all of you are ok

Primus Palus
02-06-2013, 02:12 AM
-Snipped-

The way the industry seems to be going is basically:

- Premium (you subscribe to play)
- Free to play (you pay absolutely nothing)
- Hybrid (you can subscribe)

But generally the hybrid type systems aren't beneficial to the player. Most are just a means of getting money from the player and giving back a little like in-store credits. Lord of the Rings Online was interesting in that they made subscribing give you access to areas you don't get unless you bought them. I was definitely not ok with that. At least in my case I subscribed for months then stopped when it went free to play and they took the full game away from me. They refused to let me play the areas I had already gone through with that character even though I "paid" for it with buying the original retail game.

There are however some amazing games out there that could be well argued with being AAA+ with no cost what so ever. This being games that developed as free and the ones that went free over time. The cash shop is definitely the way to go for most developers because it's cheap, easy, and a constant influx of cash.

Take a look at Planetside 2. AMAZING game. Flat out, truly amazing title. It probably rakes in the cash with the amount of microtransactions it gets. It has a large store of TONS of items that really give the player the opportunity to make themselves different than the average player. Unfortunately I think they went overboard with offering guns that way, but it's a proven system that works. So long as you put some effort into the store.

Other amazing games like Path of Exile are completely free. Their store however is very minimal and frankly concerns me for the future of the game. But in cases like that, they'll have to eventually add expansions to the game that you'll need to buy.

Either way, I'm not opposed to subscriptions or in favor of them. There are some subscription games (like Mortal Online) that should be free, and there's some free games I'd pay for. I'd like to see this game offer an amazing cash shop of NON game changing items, and let us support it through our purchases. Give back to people who want to subscribe by giving them free access to future expansions or cash shop money... but don't force any system on the player.

My bag of pennies.

Rokkrwolf
02-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Why was this grave dug just to say you love them /sarcasm

Primus Palus
02-06-2013, 02:29 AM
Why was this grave dug just to say you love them /sarcasm

Haha, I hadn't even noticed that. :P Good call.

ACReaper
02-06-2013, 10:36 AM
buy to play, no subs only xbox live gold fees , and optional micro transitions , like gw2 :P

Nervusbreakdown
02-06-2013, 11:05 AM
You guys are killing me with this!

It's not that big of a deal because you only pay Gold one time a year.

Plus I have played MMO on xbox live and I can tell you I have saved so much money doing this then just keep buying games.

This game wouldnt need a Subscription so your good.

Let me do the math for yo guys real quick to see the big difference.

you pay 1 year of MMO $180 ($15)

you buy like 6 games $480

Also you don't get xbox live for Hulu or Netflix because those are just a plus.

Primus Palus
02-06-2013, 11:33 AM
You guys are killing me with this!

It's not that big of a deal because you only pay Gold one time a year.

For me the subscription was a killer and why I never got Live going for my 360. I already pay for internet access... quite a lot in fact. To have to pay to further access the net through the console was a no deal for me.

But to each is own. You might not care and it might not be a big deal to you, but it can be for other people.

Nervusbreakdown
02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
For me the subscription was a killer and why I never got Live going for my 360. I already pay for internet access... quite a lot in fact. To have to pay to further access the net through the console was a no deal for me.

But to each is own. You might not care and it might not be a big deal to you, but it can be for other people.

just to pay $60 one time a year?

Matter of fact you can get it as low as $39. its not even monthly!

But I guess your right, I just dont understand some people.

Myll_Erik
02-06-2013, 04:49 PM
To be 100% clear -

We (Trion) do not have any subscription fees for any console. Other fees associated with the specific console are out of our hands.

Zoo
02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Xbox...LOL...
$200 System with 4Gigs and you have to pay $15 a month....LOL

Rokkrwolf
02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Xbox...LOL...

At least we never had our accounts stolen...

But honestly don't start a flame war over such nonsense, just because you don't like something doesn't mean others have to succumb to what you think is better. We are all gamers and that's all you should think about.

Kaoslion
02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
For those of you can look up on amazon and find 12 month subscription codes for 40 but mostly 50 bucks for 12 months. I've been paying for Gold sense the 360 came out. I'm happy with it and find it worth the small price to pay. I literally use my 360 like a web book especially sense it got IE.

Nervusbreakdown
02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Xbox...LOL...

First of all there is no "have to pay"

Also you got your facts wrong that is $99 4 gig with kinect or 250gig with $15 2 year Contract.

Other wise you pay 3 months or a year.

People can find $30 a month ease.

Nervusbreakdown
02-06-2013, 07:10 PM
To be 100% clear -

We (Trion) do not have any subscription fees for any console. Other fees associated with the specific console are out of our hands.

I understand this

Kaoslion
02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Those $99 dollar value's are a rip off unless you won't be able to save up and just buy a system out right.

Nervusbreakdown
02-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Those $99 dollar value's are a rip off unless you won't be able to save up and just buy a system out right.

that is a waste of time.

Grey
02-07-2013, 04:10 AM
that is a waste of time.

I like to think I'm saving cash cause I got the 180$ because of the season pass, if you figure any dlc nowadays is at least 15-20$ then even if they do four or five I'm saving cash in the long run and plus I'm a nerd when it comes to collectibles

I Clairvoyant I
02-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I asked that to Myll_Erik, the community manager, he told me this "Howdy! The game is more like GW2 in that you buy the game and then play for free! There is no subscription for any platform." I was thrilled!

Avagantamoz
02-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm fine with a monthly subscription, as long as it doesn't cost me any more then $15 a month. It's got nothing to do with paying for live, or anything else for that matter, I just don't think many games can provide enough content for me to pay on a regular basis. I love shooters and mmos so maybe this game will keep me entertained for longer. If there is a monthly subscription, the $100 I spent on this game better include a month or two for free.

I don't want to see any kind of in-game store selling gameplay related items. The only store I ever approve or buy from are ones with cosmetic items or even things like mounts. If I spend hours on this game to get some special weapon, I don't want to see some kid who has played for 10 minutes having the same thing because he borrowed his mothers credit card. It's just unfair.

I would like this game to be F2P (aside from the disc cost) but have that be limited. Similar to DC Universe. Those who pay monthly have everything available to them and theres an ingame store with cosmetic items that can be obtained throughout the world or bought with real world money. Also similar to DC Universe, there could be a medium level account gotten by spending X amount of money in the store which would unlock slightly more features. This would give incentive to pay for atleast the medium level account while still not making anybody HAVE to pay monthly for more features then F2P.