PDA

View Full Version : Product Placement

JellyBean
11-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm wondering what kind of product placement or discrete advertising do you think we will see inside the game? It's tricky because it still has to tie in with the world of the game without making it unbelievable. I'm not sure if ipods will survive but what do you think we'll see?

Shadinaxx
11-17-2012, 11:45 AM
The iPod was replaced with some blue glowy watcha-ma-dinger. But I'm sure we'll see the infamous golden arches of mcdonald's, etc. Maybe a coke/pepsi can here and there, who knows. Certaintly a good way to catch some advertisement dollars.

If we look at Eve (I know, getting tired of it), they created their own drink company, and sold it as actual merchandise (Quafe), we could see that here too. Would be pretty slick, especially since Defiance will have a medium that Eve does not have: networking into people's homes, if they are creative, they can put commercials into the show that make the viewer go "wait, is this a REAL commercial or part of the show?"

Things I could see getting popular FAST:

Nolan's keychain
iPod mp3 player with the watcha-ma-dinger case
Nolan's sunglasses as Gunnar glasses
Various apparel, such as Datak's trenchcoat

But, most popular I can see off the bat would be the keychain, and then the iPod case.

Escyos
11-17-2012, 05:33 PM
The iPod was replaced with some blue glowy watcha-ma-dinger. But I'm sure we'll see the infamous golden arches of mcdonald's, etc. Maybe a coke/pepsi can here and there, who knows. Certaintly a good way to catch some advertisement dollars.

If we look at Eve (I know, getting tired of it), they created their own drink company, and sold it as actual merchandise (Quafe), we could see that here too. Would be pretty slick, especially since Defiance will have a medium that Eve does not have: networking into people's homes, if they are creative, they can put commercials into the show that make the viewer go "wait, is this a REAL commercial or part of the show?"

Things I could see getting popular FAST:

Nolan's keychain
iPod mp3 player with the watcha-ma-dinger case
Nolan's sunglasses as Gunnar glasses
Various apparel, such as Datak's trenchcoat

But, most popular I can see off the bat would be the keychain, and then the iPod case.

I'm not sure that having advertising in an online game like this would work. Most companies pay to be seen and there would be no indication that their logo etc would be seen in the game, not like an ad on TV or a billboard that you drive by each day. I for one would think it would be pretty cool as it shows some remnants of the old world.

JellyBean
11-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh there can be really subtle ways to sneak your product into the game. Having a insignia on certain wrecked cars or having a hidden logo in rubble somewhere. In the show Nolan drives a suped Doge Charger, so GM has got their stake in the show and very possibly the game. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the vehicles we drive in the game have a GMish look to them. That is just conjecture though.

Shadinaxx
11-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Dont forget, there's always splash screens, altho other games that do this to promote their OTHER games, frustrate me, as it would here too. Otherwise, yes, various other games have had kickbacks for having a specific brand logo on commonly identifiable objects otherwise used as idle scenery. I think a resident evil or 7 had coke products, and some of the flickers of burnt out TVs would show snippets of easilly recognisable commercials.

Maybe we'll see a tribute the allmighty twinkies, lol

Kalbuir
11-19-2012, 01:20 AM
We'll have to see it's been tried in a few games but not really with huge successes its not only about the willingness form players and gaming companies to put this / or not put this in. But the amount of companies that would be interested to advertise without knowing how their returns will be are probably rather slim.

JellyBean
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
We'll have to see it's been tried in a few games but not really with huge successes its not only about the willingness form players and gaming companies to put this / or not put this in. But the amount of companies that would be interested to advertise without knowing how their returns will be are probably rather slim.

You would actually be surprised. Companies will pay ridiculous amounts of money to have their product highlighted in even the obscurest fashion in a game. As i said I'm really willing to bet GM will have some kind of placement in the game since Nolan is driving a charger in the show. Really without some kind of placement the game might lose a serious amount of investment money into the game. Once a company committs to having their product displayed in some way i doubt they would want it to flop.

whoiscraig
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
I hoping not to see any product placement in a game set in a semipostapocalytic future. I'd be surprised if any current companys are even still around during the time of the game. I'd much prefer they invent their own brand of stuff.

Shadinaxx
11-20-2012, 12:49 AM
I hoping not to see any product placement in a game set in a semipostapocalytic future. I'd be surprised if any current companys are even still around during the time of the game. I'd much prefer they invent their own brand of stuff.

I'm sure starbucks, Mcdonalds and 7Eleven survive, lol Oh, and apple.

whoiscraig
11-20-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm sure starbucks, Mcdonalds and 7Eleven survive, lol Oh, and apple.

LOL, god I hope not.

https://twitter.com/DefianceWorld/status/266600673813086208/photo/1

If that phone she's using has an Apple logo on it I'm tuning out.

Kalbuir
11-20-2012, 06:43 AM
You would actually be surprised. Companies will pay ridiculous amounts of money to have their product highlighted in even the obscurest fashion in a game. As i said I'm really willing to bet GM will have some kind of placement in the game since Nolan is driving a charger in the show. Really without some kind of placement the game might lose a serious amount of investment money into the game. Once a company committs to having their product displayed in some way i doubt they would want it to flop.

I would be surprised, if companies want to blindly invest into advertisement in games then why aren't we seeing it? I can't name of a single one. I always blamed it on the fact that the small plans games had were always received poorly by players and never turned into a good investment for companies.

JellyBean
11-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I would be surprised, if companies want to blindly invest into advertisement in games then why aren't we seeing it? I can't name of a single one. I always blamed it on the fact that the small plans games had were always received poorly by players and never turned into a good investment for companies.

You have a really good point that ads in games is still pretty unsure. But if you look at the more established games then they jump all over it. buy a soda and get 2x XP for Halo, ME3's shameless plugs of their other games in multiplayer. And Solid Snake's food and drinks in some games are actual products in Japan. those are super obvious and solid investments because those games are really well established. But with this game's tie with a major network, do you really think there will be nothing at all??

TriggHappy
11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm wondering what kind of product placement or discrete advertising do you think we will see inside the game? It's tricky because it still has to tie in with the world of the game without making it unbelievable. I'm not sure if ipods will survive but what do you think we'll see?

Defiance takes place 30 years in the future, so there'll be some loose connection with the current work. Most obvious is obviously the locations where the game and TV show are set: San Francisco area and St. Louis (aka Defiance).

Without sounding like a sell out, I know there are marketing tie-ins in the works currently.

JellyBean
11-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Defiance takes place 30 years in the future, so there'll be some loose connection with the current work. Most obvious is obviously the locations where the game and TV show are set: San Francisco area and St. Louis (aka Defiance).

Without sounding like a sell out, I know there are marketing tie-ins in the works currently.

I didn't even think of location at all and I live in SF LOL fail

Carnak
11-21-2012, 04:33 PM
They'd be smart to do it. Advertising is always looking for new media and it could be believable and non-immersion breaking in this setting.

Could be advertising on wrecked billboards, company logos on debris etc.

Carnak
11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
I would be surprised, if companies want to blindly invest into advertisement in games then why aren't we seeing it? I can't name of a single one.

Blizzard's Titan is believed to be doing it. A while back they advertised for a position overseeing amongst other things, product placement.

Shadinaxx
11-21-2012, 07:22 PM
dont forget, many brand names in advertising USE the game itself on their real world products to promote them. The CoD version of the Jeep? Mt Dew making their labels with Halo plastered all over it, etc.

On whoiscraig's viewpoint about the apple log: I am no friend of apple, but I still have to admit, the apple logo is one of the longest running, STEADY iconic images our society has grown up with, so I wouldnt be surprised if it did. Probably also means it will have an iOS crash in the show when they need to communicate, making a very drama filled moment, lol